What is the best all-around firearm for self defense?

Posted in the East Dublin Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Self Defender

Dacula, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

I want to get a handgun for self defense, but not sure what to buy. I have guns for hunting, but nothing that I can carry. I know that I may never need it, but it wouldn't hurt to have one. Suggestions?
just a girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

Judged:

I have an xdm 9mm. Its really good, shoots great. The best thing about it is u can't shoot it if you don't have a good grip on it bc of the safety point on the grip. I have never owned anything other than a 22 rifle this is my first hand gun an I would not trade it.
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

Judged:

I recommend the Glock 23 aka baby Glock. .40 cal Just point and shoot. Easy and the recoil is nothing.
Self Defender

Dacula, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

Jane wrote:
I recommend the Glock 23 aka baby Glock..40 cal Just point and shoot. Easy and the recoil is nothing.

I looked at three different sizes of Glocks. The smallest one seemed very small and only held like 9 or 10 bullets.
Hole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

Anything in .45. The bigger the hole, the smaller the problem.
Garrett Braddy

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

I carry a .45 glock, never had a single problem with it, its a tad bulky but its good for a car or home, not so much a side arm, I would look into the baby glocks like jane suggested, I also like the xdm 9

Since: Apr 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

glock 22 fullsize .40 cal
glock 23 compact .40 cal
glock 27 subcompact .40 cal. is the smallest in size. with grip extension holds 10 plus 1.

if you prefer a revolver look for a hammerless airwieght Smith and Wesson 642 a 5 shot .38 a very good concealable gun.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

the glock 27 is the baby glock .40
Been here a long time

Soperton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

When I am wearing summer attire I always have the KelTek 32. With bulkier clothes I always have either a 38 cal S&W Airweight or my 45 cal Glock.
bodyguard

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

I have few 9mm's for home and auto. Once I got my carry permit I wanted a 9 for pocket carry everyday. I reviewed all pocket 9's and to me they didn't tote well in the pocket. I went with the new S & W 380 Bodyguard with built in laser system. The weapon has a six round magazine with one in the chamber. The safety allows you to tote with the chamber load. You point a red dot on must thugs and they will change their minds about advancing and if they don't you have 7 reasons for them to stop. Good everyday carry for around $350 new. I suggest you visit a few gun shows before you purchase. You can also watch many pocket gun reviews on YouTube
Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

Finally, a topic worth posting to. If you have the money and time to train with it, the 1911 .45 is second to none. There is no better combat handgun anywhere in the World. It has been whacking the enemies of this great nation for almost a century. Almost all elite military and law enforcement units still carry it. Its slim and reliable. The downside is that it is expensive, but then again, so is a funeral.
Garrett Braddy

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

What are the dimensions on the 380?
bodyguard

Saint Simons Island, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

Barrel 2.75" overall length 5.25" weight 11.85 oz.
soperton man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

garret i owned a 380 its junk always jamming . thats one gun that i wouldnt trust in a gunfight. 40 cal or above has knock down power thats where id put my money. have had a taures 45 and a smith n wisson 40 both great guns . 380 is just gonna get the owner killed
gunner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

The 1911 .45 is the way to go
What

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

gunner wrote:
The 1911 .45 is the way to go
You cant beat a Jennings 380 nickel plated.I would choose this overall.
Too many guns

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

If you have kids, I would suggest you not have guns around the house. There are too many accident each year.
Glockster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

The glock 23 is a solid purchase. At about 400 bucks you can buy one that will last you the rest of your life. Lots of police carry Glocks so you know they are good.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

My house had 4 kids (all buys) in it when I was growing up. We had guns in the house. There was a loaded .380 semi auto on my dad's dresser. No accidents, why we were trained in what guns were and what they could do.
I carry a glock 27 as my off duty weapon as it goes with the 22 that I carry on duty. The glock has no external safety like most guns. many people think they are dangerous, but if you treat all guns as loaded then there is no problems.
No matter what gun you go with, learn how to properly handle the gun and practice from time to time to make sure you are still proficient with it.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2011

boys not buys....dang need to proof read better

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent East Dublin Discussions

Search the East Dublin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 min silverfox 50,394
prostitute from florida?? 12 hr Nasty 9
Robyn jones Jul 28 Veronica Jones 2
the grass on sides of the road is 6ft tall Jul 25 JackSlack 2
Glenn Littleton Jul 25 I want that 6
Teen Challenge Exposed! (Jun '07) Jul 21 Garrett 43
Bi str8 curious gay down low Jul 20 Tys 1
•••
•••
•••
East Dublin Dating

more search filters

less search filters