Pergola in purgatory

Over the course of more than a year, construction on the former bank lot in the center of town has gradually transformed the rubble-strewn area into a place for residents and visitors to sit and enjoy the view or walk along the river. Full Story
Neighbor

Germany

#1 Apr 24, 2009
Purgatory? Are the demons, in the Reformer's view, the townspeople who support the design, or those who oppose it? Everything in the town was appropriate to the year it was built. That's why it looks right. Shouldn't the pergola also be appropriate to the year it's being built?

The antique homes often feature more recent furniture designs. Should they be compelled to use reproduction antiques instead? Even if those cost many times the price and are less comfortable?
P-Lo

Montpelier, VT

#2 Apr 24, 2009
Neighbor wrote:
Purgatory? Are the demons, in the Reformer's view, the townspeople who support the design, or those who oppose it? Everything in the town was appropriate to the year it was built. That's why it looks right. Shouldn't the pergola also be appropriate to the year it's being built?
The antique homes often feature more recent furniture designs. Should they be compelled to use reproduction antiques instead? Even if those cost many times the price and are less comfortable?
I'm with you, Neighbor. This is a village where the design control district allows vinyl siding and vinyl replacement windows, so this crap about the pergola not fitting in to the historic district is just ridiculous, its a red herring. And nobody is whining over how the vacant, very historic building next to the pergola is in a state of deterioration, which does affect the historic appearance of the village.

These people also had plenty of time to comment during the openly public design process. Although the nominal cut posts were replaced by tree trunks (debarked), the overall design is the same as it was from the beginning.

I'd also like to know where these people were when the Rite Aid from outer space was being planned. That building is completely inappropriate here.
Rob Whitaker

Woodstock, VA

#3 Apr 24, 2009
Hmmm, not being a native I am intrigued by this article; The "Cheesey" gazebo in the background would seem a more appropriate object of attention. The gazebo is a trite, seen across America roadside offering, whereas the pergola, with a bit of whimsy, is something one might be proud of.

I build classical pergolas for living and am moved by the artistry of the pergola in place.

Rob Whitaker
FineHouse Ltd.
Wendy Davis

South Jordan, UT

#4 Jan 14, 2013
Thank you for this information. I was wondering if you had any info on href=" http://vinylpatiokits2go.com/">vinyl pergolas</? If you could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Dover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Business Buzz Sep '14 Autumn Is Best 1
Man accuses judge of extortion, theft (Apr '09) Sep '14 Chicky 16
Hire Skip Bins Bunbury (Nov '11) Aug '14 Claire Reynolds 3
Naulakha Aug '14 Brian Harris 1
Review: Bittersweet Memories Bakery Cafe Aug '14 Wardsborocabin 2
Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
Clark seeks third term as sheriff Jul '14 vern 39

East Dover News Video

East Dover Dating
Find my Match