Milkmen of past, present share simila...

Milkmen of past, present share similarities

There are 5 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Milkmen of past, present share similarities. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

John Schwartz and Justin Althouse delivered milk in different eras, but they strike very similar chords when discussing their work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

barneyrubble

York, PA

#1 Jan 9, 2011
I remember when i was a kid we had a milkman. We put the money in the milk box on the front porch steps. We had a milkman who liked eels. We would still catch eels in the river back then. We we would bring the eels home and throw them in the freezer and save for the milkman.
Must women did not work back then. They got to see the milkmen on a regular basis. Well
if everyone in your family had black hair except one sibling ,it was blamed on the milkmen.
Nostalgia

York, PA

#2 Jan 9, 2011
barneyrubble wrote:
I remember when i was a kid we had a milkman. We put the money in the milk box on the front porch steps. We had a milkman who liked eels. We would still catch eels in the river back then. We we would bring the eels home and throw them in the freezer and save for the milkman.
Must women did not work back then. They got to see the milkmen on a regular basis. Well
if everyone in your family had black hair except one sibling ,it was blamed on the milkmen.
This story is about nostalgia, so don't complain! Wow! You actually had a FREEZER in a REFRIGERATOR. We had an 'iceman' with a horse drawn wagon. We also had milk delivered by a 'milkman'; blonde dude. Although my hair is white today, everyone in my family had black hair except me, BLONDE (is THAT what happened)! Seriously, then he went off to Germany and was killed in WWII...we were terribly upset. Mom always invited the insurance man in for coffee each week. We each had a 5 cent per month insurance policy, collected at the kitchen door, remember them? As a teenager, I worked at the ICE PLANT on Sumner Street in West York. Like does anyone care? Yea, didn't think so, but 'barneyrubble' will understand and appreciate. Oh my, nostalgia! Hi Johnny Swartz, one of my old buddies!
barneyrubble

York, PA

#3 Jan 9, 2011
Nostalgia wrote:
<quoted text>
This story is about nostalgia, so don't complain! Wow! You actually had a FREEZER in a REFRIGERATOR. We had an 'iceman' with a horse drawn wagon. We also had milk delivered by a 'milkman'; blonde dude. Although my hair is white today, everyone in my family had black hair except me, BLONDE (is THAT what happened)! Seriously, then he went off to Germany and was killed in WWII...we were terribly upset. Mom always invited the insurance man in for coffee each week. We each had a 5 cent per month insurance policy, collected at the kitchen door, remember them? As a teenager, I worked at the ICE PLANT on Sumner Street in West York. Like does anyone care? Yea, didn't think so, but 'barneyrubble' will understand and appreciate. Oh my, nostalgia! Hi Johnny Swartz, one of my old buddies!
I was not complainging just reminiscing. Apparently I am youger than you are, that is why we had a fridge with a freezer. I care and do understand and appreciate. Thanks for your post.
Mikey

York, PA

#4 Jan 9, 2011
Yeah, we had a milk man, a bread man, an insurance man who come around every week or two to collect a few dollars, a Fuller Brush man, and we got mail twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Wow, we've advanced so far haven't we?
Was Neat

York, PA

#5 Jan 9, 2011
barneyrubble wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not complainging just reminiscing. Apparently I am youger than you are, that is why we had a fridge with a freezer. I care and do understand and appreciate. Thanks for your post.
'barney' I knew YOU would not complain, I meant OTHERS that do not KNOW what it was like back then!'Mikey' good ones; in West York, we also had an elderly black gentleman from the city, always wore a tie, like everyone else, would come by about once a month, with his horse drawn wagon, yellin' "Rags, rags, rags". Naturally, he was the rag man. We kids unintentionally ran the poor guy out of business. You see, we collected EVERYTHING, from rags/pots/pans/scrap metal/ and even picked 'rag weed' to be used in life jackets; all for the WWII effort. We thought we were really helping the boys overseas, and WE DID! We sledded most of the winter as streets were snow/ice covered. No equipment for salting/plowing (salting, what's that). I made many a buck at Ben's Mobile gas station in WY, putting on tire change when the big ones would arrive. He charged a buck and folks would give we kids a buck...huge, huge bucks in THOSE days. Everyone sat their ashes out at the curb for the garbage man; got stuck, just grab a bucket of ashes. At least for WE old timers, it is fun to reminisce! There is also a neat article on olden day butcher shops in the area. No need for you young whipper snappers to condemn us. Thanks to one and all! Oh my, nostalgia, and all of a sudden we wind up in the 21st Century; damn, what happened?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) 17 hr Philly Landlord 91
Is Testerone XL good for building muscle? Oct '16 Nerie 1
Skin whitening G4M glutathione for men celebrities Oct '16 Nikko 1
Love me anti aging cream reviews Oct '16 Laine 1
Kevin Bell Oct '16 Where is he 4
increase bust naturally proven results with raw... (Apr '16) Sep '16 just axing 2
Jessica Humphreys (Aug '15) Sep '16 MJ popcorn meme 24

East Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Berlin Mortgages