Police: Couple who hid 5 children a c...

Police: Couple who hid 5 children a complex case

There are 48 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 8, 2010, titled Police: Couple who hid 5 children a complex case. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

A couple is accused of hiding their five children -- ranging in age of about 2 to 13 -- for years in a York home that had no electric, heat, water or functioning toilet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
York Resident 2

Jersey Shore, PA

#47 Nov 10, 2010
Shouldn't this house have been condemned? That would have given the "authorities" full right to enter without a warrant. When water services are cut, maybe that would be a red flag and indicator that someone, maybe a child, is living in squalor. This has so many facts that prove the inadequacies of our C&Y, and makes me question where the law enforcement places their priorities. In fact, after the first combative reaction from this "father", why wasn't he under the eye of enforcement? If it was a person that owed money for a unpaid fine for perhaps a victimless crime, they would have picked him up without hesitation. One could go on and on, but think, services are shut off, the property was a blight, therefore; an agency should have checked the property immediately. This is wrong on SO many levels!
SMH

Lemoyne, PA

#48 Nov 10, 2010
OMFG wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so true cause all them sister knew what was going on chargers should be on them too for just knowing about this.
Wow that is horrible. I would never let anything like that happen to my nieces and nephews or any family member for that matter. That is just horrible.
Hum

AOL

#49 Nov 10, 2010
YDR Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my first thought - taken at the age of 16, maybe a bit slow to start with, and then brainwashed. It wouldn't be the first time...
Brain washed no! In experienced - "Yes" I'm sure that he was the he was her first (and only) person to have sex with her...These teenagers have sex for the first time and do not know how to handle it...they rebel at home and swear that their in love! At this early age in life our teenagers know nothing about chactor, integrity, or dating and all the issues that go along with being an adult and responsible. This is a good situation that shows that our teenagers are not capable of making good sound choices at the age of 16, plus when they get involved sexually they think that this guy is the one and cannot look or see beyond this.

When we as parents try to talk with our children they rebel, some make the home situation tough and are not setting good examples for their younger sibilings. They start talking shit running away from home, and to make along story short the parents become the "ENEMY". What is the solution? Spending more time with our children when they hit the double digits. Teaching them about choices, sex before they start having it....not after, and all the things that go along with having sex at an early age. Giving them a good solid foundation God? Cutting out this particula article and discussing it with our children? We can give these things to our children those of us that are walking the walk, ultimately the choice will be up to them. I think the key is as parents are we talking the talk and walking the walk for ourselves and our children? Everything starts at home with our kids. Have we as parents done the utmost best that we can? Have we provided a roof over their heads, a clean neighborhood, a clean house, been a productive member of life for them, Given and demanded respect and also teach them what respect is about (it has nothing to do with a firearm or spending the rest of your life in jail), know where our kids are at, at all times? Knowing their friends, and where they come from?

Please everyone tell me your thoughts on this. Some of our children are out of control and this seems to be an epidemic.
BoneBag

United States

#50 Nov 10, 2010
Children and youth wait til last min. I called about a girl being full on punch in her repeatedly by her mother in the middle of the street they did nothing. Regionals did nothing yet this poor girl still had visible bruising in her face on a weekly basis. It's bullshit!
Lisa W

United States

#51 Nov 10, 2010
Watching these kinds of things happen in other states, I never imagined that this could happen here.

I feel bad for all expect for Johnson. Bowers was, I'm guessing,an impressionable teenager that didn't get along with her parents and took off. One has to wonder what her mental capacity was when she left at 16. According to the paper she will be working for her GED and taking parenting classes. To me this is a goodthing, whether anyone thinks so or not.

I'm guessing this was a rented house they lived in and if so where was the landlord? Did they pay rent? Where did they get money to survive?
Ron from Dover

York, PA

#52 Nov 11, 2010
Lisa W wrote:
Watching these kinds of things happen in other states, I never imagined that this could happen here.
I feel bad for all expect for Johnson. Bowers was, I'm guessing,an impressionable teenager that didn't get along with her parents and took off. One has to wonder what her mental capacity was when she left at 16. According to the paper she will be working for her GED and taking parenting classes. To me this is a goodthing, whether anyone thinks so or not.
I'm guessing this was a rented house they lived in and if so where was the landlord? Did they pay rent? Where did they get money to survive?
One story reported that the house is owned by Johnson's sister. She should have know what was going on in the property.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#53 Nov 28, 2010
It is horrible to do this to children. Such neglect has no excuse.
evasgram1

Huntingdon, PA

#54 Nov 29, 2010
wow! what a story! its a wonder they didn't kill them all at birth, hopefully with love, a hot bath, alot of physical & emotional therapy these kids will someday, put this all behind them. this is ignorance right here in the usa at its worst. this couple should never see daylight again .i would say they were even born at home ! how awful! they are probably beautiful children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Humphreys (Aug '15) Aug 24 Pinkpolkadots 23
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Aug 20 KIMBERLY 79
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug 18 honest3tax2collec... 1
Help finding property Jul '16 Clementine 1
News Two sentenced in construction fraud case (Feb '11) Apr '16 mymomwasscammed 28
increase bust naturally proven results with raw... Apr '16 modeljoanie 1
News Boyfriend may have taken missing Gettysburg tee... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Davenport 22

East Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Berlin Mortgages