Rising gas prices causing change in l...

Rising gas prices causing change in local drivers' habits

There are 53 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Apr 24, 2011, titled Rising gas prices causing change in local drivers' habits. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Dave Wilson of North Codorus Township is carpooling with family and planning shopping trips on the way to and from work but is still frustrated by rising gas prices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Roger

Mount Laurel, NJ

#23 Apr 25, 2011
DipStickJimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, what is ridiculous is that since ethenal has been added my mpg has dropped by 2-3 mpg and I do have a 8 cyl car. I use to get average of 19-22 mpg in it and my big diesel powered truck I use to get 20-23 before the ULSD came out I was getting 22-25 with it. So what you don't understand is now we're not only paying more for fuel they put an additive in it that not only increses the cost of the fuel, but lowers the mpg you get and you end up burnning more fuel which ends up costing even more money that you did before and using more fuel to do it. All mine are 8 to 12 years old and I can't afford to go out and strap myself down with a car payment and why should I? I am taking care of myself, but the government, big business, EPA are creating a problem for all of us which no one seems to grasp. Just take a look at all the taxes you pay for everything...the feds, state, county, township all get a piece if you add up what you pay out you will be very surprised at the governments take... On average even if you get a rebate from the feds, you'll owe someone and the average household making under $100K a year with 2 kids I bet your taxes paid out living in PA are at the least 48-51%. Go ahead try to prove me wrong...I already did the math. Not to mention going out buying a $30K electric car or hybred the cost of doing that alone would allow me to drive another 5 years at least.
The decreased mileage is the least of the problems with ethanol. Ruining engines is the number one problem with ethanol.
EMAJ911

Columbia, PA

#24 Apr 25, 2011
I agree....ridiculous and I am happy w/ my Saturn Ion. I wish it was lower but I am happy I don't pay too much and get decent gas mileage in my car.
been there

York, PA

#25 Apr 25, 2011
Whiners wrote:
Even with a family, I choose to drive an economical 4 cyl. car and you know what the price of gas is not that much of a concern.
Excluding people who require a truck for business, why should an American's opinion regarding high gas prices even matter if they choose to drive some monsterous SUV / Truck or large 6 cyl / 8 cyl car simply because they want to. I just love those Soccer Mom's / Dad's who have 1 or 2 kids (even 3) and get in their Expedition or Durango or Escalade or Hummer H3 or... Ridiculous.
Thats alright when your tin can is smashed under a truck we wont stop!
been there

York, PA

#26 Apr 25, 2011
There is a very easy fix, Tell foreign suppliers we will not need your oil after the end of the month! Guarrantee you it will be under a dollar a gallon by then!
mad bob

Brentwood, TN

#27 Apr 25, 2011
Be careful when you think two opposing sides are really opposite. Oil companies vs. Enviromentalists = High Gas prices. Both win. Oil companies make more money, Enviromentalists get their support for less dependancy on oil while China and India don’t give a @#^&. Americans loose. Republicans vs. Democrats = Collect a whole lot of money from dumb@#% people stupid enough to contibute to re-election campaigns etc. Both win. Americans loose. Get it?

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#28 Apr 26, 2011
The alarming rise of gas prices will obviously have consequences. Those who cannot afford to do away with their cars because they need to drive to work will have to car-pool, walk whenever they can and use public transport which is all good for the environment. However, many others will also have to cut corners on other things; they will have to eat less, get lower car insurance coverage, and downgrade their standard of living.
MPO

Shippensburg, PA

#29 Apr 26, 2011
adrianryan18 wrote:
The alarming rise of gas prices will obviously have consequences. Those who cannot afford to do away with their cars because they need to drive to work will have to car-pool, walk whenever they can and use public transport which is all good for the environment. However, many others will also have to cut corners on other things; they will have to eat less, get lower car insurance coverage, and downgrade their standard of living.
Does the Capitalist care? Shame. shame on them!
MPO

Shippensburg, PA

#30 Apr 26, 2011
indy voter wrote:
Obama's energy policy hurts the poor and middle class not Rich Republicians. Look for big oil to annouce record profits. Obama's policy is to tell some poor working stiff to buy a Chevy Volt that he could never afford all while burning over 53,000 gallons of jet fuel to celebrate earth day.
The Republican under Bush open up the Future Trade Market and gave it to wall St. The rich buddies now goug us with there Speculators. If they did away with Wall St future markets, gas prices would fall by 59% over night.
2 sided

New Freedom, PA

#31 Apr 26, 2011
If we would have drilled in Alaska back when Bush 1 was in office we would not have this problem now
DipStickJimmy

Arlington, VA

#32 Apr 26, 2011
Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
The decreased mileage is the least of the problems with ethanol. Ruining engines is the number one problem with ethanol.
Yes I totally agree !! but seems no one else with any knowlege of engines does. I do support alternative fuels or something. It's just that they add that which decreases my previous mpg, in turn requires more fuel and more money. It makes no sense but then since when does anything in politics make sense.
CHANGE You can count on

York, PA

#33 Apr 26, 2011
Gas prices will continue to rise and rise big as long as we the American public are held hostage by foreign oil production and extraction practices.

We have so much oil in the United States it is unreal but we as a country do nothing to refine, extract, and produce this natural resource for the benefit of our citizens. Why, ask the tree huggers and environmentalists, they do not want to harm Bambi or Flipper so we continue to cry about gas prices while doing nothing.

Alternative fuels and fuel sources are a great idea but they are years upon years from development and until they happen get ready to pay more and more for gas at the pumps.

What four or five years ago when gas prices got so high there was a push in this country to drill and refine our own oil but you see nothing has happened and within that time we as a nation have grown more dependant on foreign oil....

Obama and the Liberal Democratic including some RINO Republicans say to invest in Green Technology like the Chevy Volt, what a stupid idea…. The Volt, a vehicle that only gets around a 40-mile drive on a charge and that is in the best conditions after which the vehicle becomes dependant on a gasoline engine as its backup. The Volts electric 40-mile drive becomes even less when you factor in cold weather conditions during winter months; not to mention the cost for electric just to keep it charged.

Obama has said in the past he believes the gas prices should be higher although he would rather see the price increase slower but believes we should be paying $7.00 to $9.00 per gallon just like in some countries; don’t worry we will soon be there….

How is that “Change” working out for you and yours ???????
Just Curious

Mount Laurel, NJ

#34 Apr 26, 2011
adrianryan18 wrote:
Maybe this is all part of Muchelle Obama's plan to have people lose weight.
Zorbo

Gettysburg, PA

#35 Apr 26, 2011
been there wrote:
<quoted text> Thats alright when your tin can is smashed under a truck we wont stop!
You sound like the typical douchebag I see driving around in a Suburban all by themselves.
Thanks for making the guy's point about stupid, self-interested and short-sighted consumers.
American Nationalist

Red Lion, PA

#36 Apr 26, 2011
Driving habits AND voting habits too!
American Nationalist

Red Lion, PA

#37 Apr 26, 2011
MPO wrote:
<quoted text>The Republican under Bush open up the Future Trade Market and gave it to wall St. The rich buddies now goug us with there Speculators. If they did away with Wall St future markets, gas prices would fall by 59% over night.
If Obama continued to drill in the Gulf and we were drilling in Anwr, we wouldn't have this problem.
MPO

Shippensburg, PA

#38 Apr 26, 2011
American Nationalist wrote:
<quoted text>
If Obama continued to drill in the Gulf and we were drilling in Anwr, we wouldn't have this problem.
Fact check! Oil production increase with Obama. Oil production decrease with Bush. We don't have a supply problem,we have a Wall St. speculation problem.
American Nationalist

Red Lion, PA

#39 Apr 26, 2011
MPO wrote:
<quoted text>Fact check! Oil production increase with Obama. Oil production decrease with Bush. We don't have a supply problem,we have a Wall St. speculation problem.
Fact check! If Obama stopped drilling in the Gulf, how was production increased?

Where did you get that "fact"?
MPO

Shippensburg, PA

#40 Apr 26, 2011
American Nationalist wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact check! If Obama stopped drilling in the Gulf, how was production increased?
Where did you get that "fact"?
Fact check.
Chad A

Floyd, VA

#41 Apr 26, 2011
Oil is cyclical. All you have to do is wait for Light Sweet Crude prices to drop back down to around $60 a barrel. Then buy some oil refining and drilling stocks. Then when gas goes back up you don't care because your loss is covered by your stock gains. It's really not rocket science guys.
Repeat as Necessary

York, PA

#42 Apr 27, 2011
Obama's energy secretary said that he wanted gas prices to be commensurate with Europe. This is all part of the plan to bankrupt the middle class. And it's working beautifully.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did colonial courthouse windows end up in the D... Jan 2 Gofigure 1
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec 29 Generation Wuss 4
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Dec '16 Philly Landlord 91
Is Testerone XL good for building muscle? Oct '16 Nerie 1
Skin whitening G4M glutathione for men celebrities Oct '16 Nikko 1
Love me anti aging cream reviews Oct '16 Laine 1
Kevin Bell Oct '16 Where is he 4

East Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Berlin Mortgages