Rising gas prices causing change in local drivers' habits

Dave Wilson of North Codorus Township is carpooling with family and planning shopping trips on the way to and from work but is still frustrated by rising gas prices. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
God

Wrightsville, PA

#3 Apr 25, 2011
Im gonna buy a bicycle
E S C BEAVE

York, PA

#4 Apr 25, 2011
well C BEAVE wants u to come pick him up ! cause C BEAVE aint payn for nutn !! HE and HIS PPL GET OTHERS to PAY !!
gas will go higher

York, PA

#5 Apr 25, 2011
But Obama says those who own SUVs should trade them for something more economical. Just try it . You won't get anywhere near what it is worth. How about you take a huge.
And what is going on with his investigating the high gas prices. Any word on that info? Like it will bring the prices down.
I already see at the pumps people filling up multiple gas cans. And they are not all for mowing the grass.
gas will go higher

York, PA

#6 Apr 25, 2011
Why for weeks were the gas prices so different not even a 2 minute drive away. Turkey Hill on East market off MT. Zion RD in Springettsbury anywhere from $3.69 to $3.79 and Rutters on MT. Zion RD. $3.39. But the past 4 days their prices are the same $3.75
SUV KEY MOUSE

Mount Laurel, NJ

#7 Apr 25, 2011
gas will go higher wrote:
But Obama says those who own SUVs should trade them for something more economical. Just try it . You won't get anywhere near what it is worth. How about you take a huge.
And what is going on with his investigating the high gas prices. Any word on that info? Like it will bring the prices down.
I already see at the pumps people filling up multiple gas cans. And they are not all for mowing the grass.
That shows how in touch Barry is with real Americans. Yeah, just go out and lay out 30k+ for a hybrid so you can save $100 a month on gas. Sort of like the Steve Martin routine; how to have $1,000,000 and pay no tax. First, get a million bucks.
indy voter

Taylorsville, NC

#8 Apr 25, 2011
Obama's energy policy hurts the poor and middle class not Rich Republicians. Look for big oil to annouce record profits. Obama's policy is to tell some poor working stiff to buy a Chevy Volt that he could never afford all while burning over 53,000 gallons of jet fuel to celebrate earth day.
YEAH

Berwick, PA

#9 Apr 25, 2011
it's all a conspiracy man. it truly is.
Ted C

Wrightsville, PA

#10 Apr 25, 2011
indy voter wrote:
Obama's energy policy hurts the poor and middle class not Rich Republicians. Look for big oil to annouce record profits. Obama's policy is to tell some poor working stiff to buy a Chevy Volt that he could never afford all while burning over 53,000 gallons of jet fuel to celebrate earth day.
What about Rich Democrats? Wealthy people are not only Republican.
Ted C

Wrightsville, PA

#11 Apr 25, 2011
Why for weeks were the gas prices so different not even a 2 minute drive away. Turkey Hill on East market off MT. Zion RD in Springettsbury anywhere from $3.69 to $3.79 and Rutters on MT. Zion RD.$3.39. But the past 4 days their prices are the same $3.75
I noticed that to. I was telling everyone about the Rutters on Mt Zion and then I went there a few days ago and about blew a gasket. The price had jumped to the same as everywhere else. Infuriating to say the least.
Repeat as Necessary

Mount Laurel, NJ

#12 Apr 25, 2011
Ted C wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Rich Democrats? Wealthy people are not only Republican.
Actually the richest appear to be Democrats. Soros, Buffet, Gates, etc. And then look at Congress. The richest members are Democrats.
Bro1856

Cockeysville, MD

#13 Apr 25, 2011
Why for weeks were the gas prices so different not even a 2 minute drive away. Turkey Hill on East market off MT. Zion RD in Springettsbury anywhere from $3.69 to $3.79 and Rutters on MT. Zion RD.$3.39. But the past 4 days their prices are the same $3.75
There were a number of locations in that area who did a 2 week promo. A local TV crew interviewed one of the managers and they said that they weren't making $$$ on the gas, but it was bringing in people to buy coffee, etc which is where they were making the $$$. It is a business after all and they need to show a profit somewhere.
Whiners

York, PA

#14 Apr 25, 2011
Even with a family, I choose to drive an economical 4 cyl. car and you know what the price of gas is not that much of a concern.

Excluding people who require a truck for business, why should an American's opinion regarding high gas prices even matter if they choose to drive some monsterous SUV / Truck or large 6 cyl / 8 cyl car simply because they want to. I just love those Soccer Mom's / Dad's who have 1 or 2 kids (even 3) and get in their Expedition or Durango or Escalade or Hummer H3 or... Ridiculous.
Winer Whiner

York, PA

#15 Apr 25, 2011
Whiners wrote:
Even with a family, I choose to drive an economical 4 cyl. car and you know what the price of gas is not that much of a concern.
Excluding people who require a truck for business, why should an American's opinion regarding high gas prices even matter if they choose to drive some monsterous SUV / Truck or large 6 cyl / 8 cyl car simply because they want to. I just love those Soccer Mom's / Dad's who have 1 or 2 kids (even 3) and get in their Expedition or Durango or Escalade or Hummer H3 or... Ridiculous.
Wow, and we're Whiners! I drive a small Honda Fit, 11 gallon tank, 30 mpg city, 35 mpg rural! Filling it costs $40. Isn't that just a bit ridiculous? But can understand where you are coming from on the SUV/350 pickem' up truck gang. I'll either pay up or sit at home...bet I'll sit at home, like all the OTHER whiners, ain't!!!
ProQA Questionaire

Towson, MD

#16 Apr 25, 2011
Whiners wrote:
Take your family of 4 to the grocery store or BJ's/SAM's Club and tell me how much room you have to get your purchases home. Or would you rather make 4 trips to and from the store.
Whiners

York, PA

#17 Apr 25, 2011
ProQA Questionaire wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your family of 4 to the grocery store or BJ's/SAM's Club and tell me how much room you have to get your purchases home. Or would you rather make 4 trips to and from the store.
Necessity is the mother of invention. In other words, people figure out a way to do it.

Hey, if you have truly sat down and done some soul searching and have determined that you absolutely need a larger vehicle based on family size, etc. then by all means have one...and I will not say a negative word to you. And if you have trouble filling your tank (& complain) about gas prices and again you NEED the larger vehicle then I feel for you and I won't say a negative word.

But come on, that is NOT repeat NOT the case in many families. Lots of families may NOT NEED that larger vehicle but they WANT it. Don't people realize the downfall of the country will not be Obama or China or any outside influence it will be this prevailing wisdom of, "I want it therefore I will have it, period!" You would be suprised at the gap between what you truly need and what you want. And "wants" within moderation are fine but when this country consumes more oil/gas per capita than every other country in the world, that is not fine.
DipStickJimmy

Sterling, VA

#18 Apr 25, 2011
We have already cut back and make one trip a week to the store get everything at one time. If someone needs prescription filled we wait until the end of the week and we only live 7 miles from town. It use to cost me $25 to $30 a week for gas now it's $55 or higher. It's always the same old story squeeze the ones that make under $75K a year, everything goes up taxes, gas, food but not our pay. One thing Obama could do but won't is remove Ethenal from the gas, that would reduce the cost 50 cents or more plus cause food prices to come back down. They add it to fuel as a filler, it does nothing good for anyone but farmers and refinearies. Only thing I can say for sure it does is, lower your mpg, screw up injectors, fuel pumps, increase food costs, and increase fuel cost.
George Swartz

Hanover, PA

#19 Apr 25, 2011
As we all know things are bad,people laid off, people taking wage freezes to help there companies survive and for what. You will see when Exon/Mobile comes out with ther quarter profit figures of 41%, what is wrong with this picture. Now keep in mind our government says the oil companies are not price gouging. They need it R&D.
But really this what happens, oil companies project the figure they must have at year's end, so if we all cut back for what ever reason they simply adjust the price per gallon so it is a no win situation. The only way I see to fix it is to have the politicians pay for their own fuel instead of the taxpayers and watch how fast the price per gallon comes down.
Zak B

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#20 Apr 25, 2011
Bull... udder bull! Where is the outrage that we saw back on 2009? Why aren't they holding Congress, the Senate and the President's feet to the flames? I am so sick of useless talking, when will we as people refuse mundane an by-the-book answers and ask for something to be done? Why are we getting our fuel from other countries than from here? Why are we allowing other countries to open wells in the Gulf and elsewhere and (we as taxpayers give them $$) when our own wells sit closed and unusable?! We have allowed ourselves to become consumers and not producers; we've allowed ourselves to be side stepped and pushed around to meet political agendas of both parties and to heck w/ the guy on the street! I am fed up and completely disgusted as to what we have allowed ourselves to become. It'll get worse b4 it gets better!
Zak B

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#21 Apr 25, 2011
DipStickJimmy wrote:
We have already cut back and make one trip a week to the store get everything at one time. If someone needs prescription filled we wait until the end of the week and we only live 7 miles from town. It use to cost me $25 to $30 a week for gas now it's $55 or higher. It's always the same old story squeeze the ones that make under $75K a year, everything goes up taxes, gas, food but not our pay. One thing Obama could do but won't is remove Ethenal from the gas, that would reduce the cost 50 cents or more plus cause food prices to come back down. They add it to fuel as a filler, it does nothing good for anyone but farmers and refinearies. Only thing I can say for sure it does is, lower your mpg, screw up injectors, fuel pumps, increase food costs, and increase fuel cost.
You are correct, funny thing is about 50 miles from the plant it begins to evaporate, reduces your mileage (especailly when it gets warmer out & all the additives they put in)and dirties your engine. However I do support alternate fuels and keeping farmers in business, why don't they refine the process better so all vehicles can use it or a substance like gas? OH wait that is Diesel fuel and cooking oil, booze and whatever else is a combustible liquid (for the most part)will work in them, but we are prohibited by law cause "who knows whats in it". There is a tiem where we take a step back and say, "WTH are we doing?!"
DipStickJimmy

Sterling, VA

#22 Apr 25, 2011
Whiners wrote:
No, what is ridiculous is that since ethenal has been added my mpg has dropped by 2-3 mpg and I do have a 8 cyl car. I use to get average of 19-22 mpg in it and my big diesel powered truck I use to get 20-23 before the ULSD came out I was getting 22-25 with it. So what you don't understand is now we're not only paying more for fuel they put an additive in it that not only increses the cost of the fuel, but lowers the mpg you get and you end up burnning more fuel which ends up costing even more money that you did before and using more fuel to do it. All mine are 8 to 12 years old and I can't afford to go out and strap myself down with a car payment and why should I? I am taking care of myself, but the government, big business, EPA are creating a problem for all of us which no one seems to grasp. Just take a look at all the taxes you pay for everything...the feds, state, county, township all get a piece if you add up what you pay out you will be very surprised at the governments take... On average even if you get a rebate from the feds, you'll owe someone and the average household making under $100K a year with 2 kids I bet your taxes paid out living in PA are at the least 48-51%. Go ahead try to prove me wrong...I already did the math. Not to mention going out buying a $30K electric car or hybred the cost of doing that alone would allow me to drive another 5 years at least.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Tue Steviewonders 32
Police: Former Bermudian Springs teacher arrest... Oct 17 Sara F 2
dover halloween parade 2014, sunday oct 5 at 3 pm! Oct 13 Halloweenie 2
Dover schools' child abuse policy raises questions Sep '14 divergebt 1
50-unit senior housing apartment building plann... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
York County man accused of assaulting 7-year-ol... Jun '14 Anonymous 9
Review: RLS Auto And Truck Repair Jun '14 Dillbag 1
East Berlin Dating
Find my Match

East Berlin Jobs