East Bangor fire damages pottery work...

East Bangor fire damages pottery workshop

There are 52 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 1, 2008, titled East Bangor fire damages pottery workshop. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

An early morning fire today heavily damaged a pottery workshop in East Bangor. About two dozen firefighters from East Bangor, Upper Mount Bethel Township and North Bangor fire companies responded to the 3:54 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anonymous

Nazareth, PA

#3 Feb 1, 2008
East Bangor asst. chief did a good job by taking action very quickly and had the firefighters attack the fire so it wouldn't spread to the house and got it under control pretty quick since it was already fully involved when he arrived.

Since: Mar 07

Shoemakersville, PA

#4 Feb 1, 2008
great job you guys...as usual. we can very proud of ALL our VOLUNTEER firefighters from the area...

it was nice to see alot of the guys at the Trolley Restaurant later that morning....
pffft

Wilkes Barre, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2008
I am not one to knock firefighters, but...
Lemme ask how many of them went into the building to fight it internally?
AND
How long did they wait to call for back up.. hint 8 minutes!
Not so Hot

Wilkes Barre, PA

#6 Feb 1, 2008
AND
let me ask why they let themselves run out of water before calling backup?
Something more could have been done there I think.
Time for evaluation of the E Bangor guys that showed up there.
anonymous

Nazareth, PA

#7 Feb 2, 2008
Not so Hot wrote:
AND
let me ask why they let themselves run out of water before calling backup?
Something more could have been done there I think.
Time for evaluation of the E Bangor guys that showed up there.
call comes in at 3:54am unless you sleep with your street clothes on you most get dressed and you get on scene your already time into the call so maybe thats why it took 8min. also they didnt what into they run out of water to call for water supply aint there fault it took tankers alittle time to get there as for going in bearly any floors left roof sinking in as the saying goes risk alittle to save alittle risk alot to save alot there was no life at stake in side that building if you was there and had problem with something you say something then.i thought firefighting was a brotherhood not i dont like this dept. so ill knock them and make it like they dont know what there doing so if you got a issue maybe you should go talk to there line officers so learn the facts.i think everyone there did a fine job
E Bangor Jr Firefighter

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2008
pffft wrote:
I am not one to knock firefighters, but...
Lemme ask how many of them went into the building to fight it internally?
AND
How long did they wait to call for back up.. hint 8 minutes!
Maybe you should learn something about the business. I live next door to the house and I am a junior firefighter for E.Bangor and what happened isn't East Bangor's fault. I was second on scene and first dressed and ready. The fire was already fully involved and it was the dispatchers fault. If we receive a fire call between 6pm and 6am they are supposed to dispatch bangor with us and they didnt thats why we ran out of water.If you got a problem talk to me because i was the lead man on the first attack line and i did everything i could. We ran out because bangor didnt get called and it didnt really matter because with minutes of the line being charged i ran out. You dont know what the fire was like we had fully involved with flames licking at the eves of the house and a propane tank next to the fire. I was putting water on the fire and the house along with the propane tank so if you think you can do a better job at conserving water you tell me. I believe everybody did a great job on the scene just to let you know the houses are back a long dirt road and the hydrant is about a half a mile to a mile away. I did everything i could i had the fire contained to the one side until we lost water and as soon as we got on scene we called for mutual aide.
Leebo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Feb 2, 2008
I'd like to say firefighting in rural areas is a tough job, not enough resources! With hydrants that far away, you're lucky to be able to contain a fire let alone extinguish it.
Eight minutes until another alarm sounded? And you have a problem with that, give me your phone number I'll call you at 04:00 and see how long it takes you to get your ass in gear and fight a fire with darkness, freezing rain and limited resources.
If calls weren't made to the proper assiting companies the investigator from the insurance company should figure that out, and appropiate action will be brought I'm sure.
I congratulate the East Bangor company for handling this call as well as they did, with what they have to work with. Everyone went home safe, and the property was not a total loss.
Godspeed
anonymous

Nazareth, PA

#10 Feb 3, 2008
E Bangor Jr Firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should learn something about the business. I live next door to the house and I am a junior firefighter for E.Bangor and what happened isn't East Bangor's fault. I was second on scene and first dressed and ready. The fire was already fully involved and it was the dispatchers fault. If we receive a fire call between 6pm and 6am they are supposed to dispatch bangor with us and they didnt thats why we ran out of water.If you got a problem talk to me because i was the lead man on the first attack line and i did everything i could. We ran out because bangor didnt get called and it didnt really matter because with minutes of the line being charged i ran out. You dont know what the fire was like we had fully involved with flames licking at the eves of the house and a propane tank next to the fire. I was putting water on the fire and the house along with the propane tank so if you think you can do a better job at conserving water you tell me. I believe everybody did a great job on the scene just to let you know the houses are back a long dirt road and the hydrant is about a half a mile to a mile away. I did everything i could i had the fire contained to the one side until we lost water and as soon as we got on scene we called for mutual aide.
its the other way around for bangor dispatch its from 6am to 6pm they get called out
rumor has it

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Feb 3, 2008
Rumor has it that the chief from the past few years was there packed up ready to go, and then threw a hissy fit and just watched as the fire burned because he didn' get his way. East Bangor better get some guys/girls that want to fight fire not just stand around and spray water from the outside. Brotherhood or not one bad Company can make them all look bad. Shape up guys and get rid of the cry babies.
rumor has it

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Feb 3, 2008
E Bangor Jr Firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should have been home in bed, I believe that child labor laws don't allow you to even go to fires @ 4:00 in the morning. How was school the next day, or didn't you go?
EB Jr FFs MOM Karen Lane

United States

#13 Feb 3, 2008
Dear Mr Rumor has it:
Thank you for the concern for my son's response to the fire and his school and child labor laws.
Now let me just have a word or two-
1. When a fire is burning I would rather worry about child labor laws after the fact...human life is more important in my book.
2.Check with the school- Bangor High. I am sure you will find that school had been cancelled that day and at the very earliest there was a two hour delay....does anyone else really see that this point of this writer is worth even considering?
3. My son is on the Honor Roll and has been for more years than I can count. Had he been too tired to go to school, I would not have had a problem and I doubt that the school would have either.
4. My son was named Fire Fighter of the Year this past year for good reason. I teach my children that "service to other's is the rent you pay to be on God's green earth". My Mother taught that to my siblings and myself and by no means should you take this as that I am a "holy roller"....my church attendance is spotty...so prayer for my soul.
5. I am thankful that you are not one of my neighbors that I would have to count on and have to make sure that before you got dressed you checked all the rules first!
6. What is up with this blogging stuff....I am new to it...but I am not afraid to say my name. Free to talk to you about this anytime.
Thanks though for the concern for my son, but I think my husband and I have it all under control. Have a great day and check your fire extinguishers because they may be out of date (batteries too).
Karen Lane
East Bangor
E Bangor Jr Firefighter

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2008
rumor has it wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you should have been home in bed, I believe that child labor laws don't allow you to even go to fires @ 4:00 in the morning. How was school the next day, or didn't you go?
Just to let you know I was in bed, up until 3:54. The fire was about a 150 yards from my house so even if I didn't go do you really think I was going to be able to sleep? The area is a rural area and in the middle of the woods so we need all the help we can get. I think my neighbor's safety comes before school work plus we had freezing rain that day and school was closed. I am sure that when you were in school you skipped days to do things that were nowhere near as important as this was. I have never skipped school. Just to let you know I have completed everything for Firefighter Essentials except interior firefighting and I am taking Firefighter 1 this year, my second year of training through Bucks County Comm. College. I was Firefighter of the Year in 2006 and I was recognized by Governor Rendell, Senator Casey, State Rep. Grucela, and my community, I was deeply honored.

Since: Mar 07

Shoemakersville, PA

#15 Feb 3, 2008
EB Jr FFs MOM Karen Lane wrote:
Dear Mr Rumor has it:
Thank you for the concern for my son's response to the fire and his school and child labor laws.
1. When a fire is burning I would rather worry about child labor laws after the fact...human life is more important in my book.
2.Check with the school- Bangor High. I am sure you will find that school had been cancelled that day and at the very earliest there was a two hour delay....does anyone else really see that this point of this writer is worth even considering?
3. My son is on the Honor Roll and has been for more years than I can count. Had he been too tired to go to school, I would not have had a problem and I doubt that the school would have either.
4. My son was named Fire Fighter of the Year this past year for good reason. I teach my children that "service to other's is the rent you pay to be on God's green earth". My Mother taught that to my siblings and myself and by no means should you take this as that I am a "holy roller"....my church attendance is spotty...so prayer for my soul.
5. I am thankful that you are not one of my neighbors that I would have to count on and have to make sure that before you got dressed you checked all the rules first!
6. What is up with this blogging stuff....I am new to it...but I am not afraid to say my name. Free to talk to you about this anytime.
Thanks though for the concern for my son, but I think my husband and I have it all under control. Have a great day and check your fire extinguishers because they may be out of date (batteries too).
Karen Lane
East Bangor
So I'm thinking this must be Cody??? Nice job Cody, and keep up the good work...And I believe the Bangor High School has a new program for the training of firefighters....We're proud of out volunteers....Kathy Lobb...Lower Mount Bethel/Sandts Eddy
EB Jr FFs MOM Karen Lane

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2008
Morning Ms Lobb,
Thank you for the nice words for Cody. Yes, Cody actually attending the class that was suitcased out at the HS last year (kudos to whoever thoguth of this and took the initiative), this year it is held at Upper Mt Bethel Fire Company on Friday nights. I welcome and encourage all kids (there are girls and guys in theses classes) to get involved, check with the HS. Not only is community service an important part of everyone's life (or at least should be), I can tell you that the time and effort that you sacrifice comes back to you ten fold in the self pride that you will develop. Every child has their strenghts and I encourage all parents to look for those and help develop them in any way possible. Firefighting isn't for everyone, but make sure that your children are brought up to think of others, be the best that they can be at whatever they choose, and try to service your community in some capacity...whatever it may be.

Everyone can be a Monday morning quarterback...but let's be constructive and learn what worked, what didn't in this situation and take action going forward.

Personally, I plan on helping EB Fire Company look for some grant money to improve our equipment. Cody has already written an Economic Development Grant to request money to replace all of the inadequate Jr Firefighter turn out gear etc...We are waitig to see if he is successful. There were others with a greater need at the last round, but he was told that the next awards of grants will be in March. I encourage anyone to contact State Rep Grucela's office to ask that EB JR FF's needs be given thorough and thoughtful consideration. We need more VOLUNTEERS and the earlier the involvement the better for the community. Equipment for these Jrs is desperately needed.

Personally I want to thank ALL the volunteers that came to the aid of the Kilpatricks. As far as all the "social" members that belong to all Fire Companies....I encourage you (if physically able) to get off the bar stool and become an active firefighter on the end of those fire lines and come out for weekly fire drills. Every community could use more help...are you willing and able to answer the call?

Karen Lane
PS we all are busy, most work full time jobs, but so do these volunteers. Give it a try.
rumor has it

AOL

#18 Feb 4, 2008
Dear Mr Rumor has it:
Karen Lane
East Bangor
I'm sure you are very proud of your son for all his acclomplishments, and you should be, it sounds like he is a great kid. Being as involved as he is he should know that the laws don't allow him to attend fires in the middle of the night. I'm sure @ 4:00 in the morning he, and you did not know that school was going to be cancelled. The laws are made to protect our kids, not for parents to decide when to allow their kids to break them. There were no lies to be saved, so that wasn't an issue. Had your son gotten hurt @ the fire, or worse yet killed he would have missed alot more school than one day. The fire chief would have had to explain what your son was doing there, and why he or she allowed him to be there. I'm not putting your son down for doing the job he does, I think it's great, but laws are put into place for a reason and it's up to us to set examples for our kids by not saying it's ok to break them. I hope he keeps up the good work, but doesn't put other people's positions on the line by not following the rules. Copies of the child labor laws for emergency services are available at your state represenatives office maybe you should stop and pick one up.
EB Jr FFs MOM Karen Lane

United States

#19 Feb 4, 2008
Thank you for the kind words about my son Cody. I am aware of the law and the penalty and I also know that my son knows his limitations, legally. The fine is $100...if the state wants to send a fine to me, the check is ready. No disrespect, honestly...but when a call goes out you don't know what is at stake and I would rather have too much help than not enough. Truly...no disrespect, but I would not have done anything different if it were for you or anyone else that we knew or didn't know. Cody never would have entered the building and, if anything, his father has always been in "overdrive" when it comes to teaching Cody safetyand respect for it.

That being said, sure anything could have happened, but the volunteers do the best that they can. My son may have as much, if not more training than some men. Thanks for your concern, it is well taken.
Karen Lane
PS Stil...no name? where are you from? Another fire company? One that responded? A neighbor?
rumor has it

AOL

#21 Feb 4, 2008
I'll just say I live in the county. I've heard things about the fire company your son belongs to, and not to much of it was good. I understand that it is under new leadership and I hope that is for the better. My concern is not for the child labor laws, but for the inage of the fire co's, and keeping Jr. Firefighters. They are a valuable asset to fire co's, and the future of volunteer fire co's. I wouldn't want to see something happen where laws would prevent fire co's from having Jr. Firefighters because laws had not been followed. Yes I do belong to a volunteer fire co., but not one that responded to that call. Once again, it's not about your son responding to the call, it's about protecting our fire co's liabilities, and furures. Sorry if you took my reply to your sons blog the wrong way.
as for rumors

Nazareth, PA

#22 Feb 4, 2008
rumor has it wrote:
Rumor has it that the chief from the past few years was there packed up ready to go, and then threw a hissy fit and just watched as the fire burned because he didn' get his way. East Bangor better get some guys/girls that want to fight fire not just stand around and spray water from the outside. Brotherhood or not one bad Company can make them all look bad. Shape up guys and get rid of the cry babies.
i like rumors cause i heard one to there"fine chief" they got wouldn't even take command i heard he keeped hiding as for there past chief im sure he wasnt crying and atleast he would have took command and not hide the whole time so mr.rumor if u have something to say maybe u should found the past chief and talk to him or visit the east bangor firefighters and tell your problems i would tell u to talk with there chief but he would hiding
bruno_rs

Moorestown, NJ

#23 Feb 4, 2008
Morning Ms Lobb,
Thank you for the nice words for Cody. Yes, Cody actually attending the class that was suitcased out at the HS last year (kudos to whoever thoguth of this and took the initiative), this year it is held at Upper Mt Bethel Fire Company on Friday nights. I welcome and encourage all kids (there are girls and guys in theses classes) to get involved, check with the HS. Not only is community service an important part of everyone's life (or at least should be), I can tell you that the time and effort that you sacrifice comes back to you ten fold in the self pride that you will develop. Every child has their strenghts and I encourage all parents to look for those and help develop them in any way possible. Firefighting isn't for everyone, but make sure that your children are brought up to think of others, be the best that they can be at whatever they choose, and try to service your community in some capacity...whatever it may be.
Everyone can be a Monday morning quarterback...but let's be constructive and learn what worked, what didn't in this situation and take action going forward.
Personally, I plan on helping EB Fire Company look for some grant money to improve our equipment. Cody has already written an Economic Development Grant to request money to replace all of the inadequate Jr Firefighter turn out gear etc...We are waitig to see if he is successful. There were others with a greater need at the last round, but he was told that the next awards of grants will be in March. I encourage anyone to contact State Rep Grucela's office to ask that EB JR FF's needs be given thorough and thoughtful consideration. We need more VOLUNTEERS and the earlier the involvement the better for the community. Equipment for these Jrs is desperately needed.
Personally I want to thank ALL the volunteers that came to the aid of the Kilpatricks. As far as all the "social" members that belong to all Fire Companies....I encourage you (if physically able) to get off the bar stool and become an active firefighter on the end of those fire lines and come out for weekly fire drills. Every community could use more help...are you willing and able to answer the call?
Karen Lane
PS we all are busy, most work full time jobs, but so do these volunteers. Give it a try.
keep your head up... obviously you are on the right track and should be very proud of your son. i am impressed, by what has been written in this forum... he sounds like a very responsible young man. it's so easy for others to critize, especially those who cannot relate to the selflessness calling of firefighters and/or their ongoing plight to aquire all the necessary AND expensive "tools" to PROTECT the community! moreover, it is extremely difficult to get all the equipment and manpower to these rural and/or remote areas in mere seconds. it sounds to me like, your community could use alot more (youths AND adults) like your son... obviously he's there to work... not polish the trucks and/or sit at the bar, watching the game. hopefully your sons' community service will go farther than firefighting. it sounds like cody is real mover and shaker with qualities which are hard to find in todays youth. good luck and be well.
HEARD THE SAME

Nazareth, PA

#24 Feb 4, 2008
as for rumors wrote:
<quoted text>i like rumors cause i heard one to there"fine chief" they got wouldn't even take command i heard he keeped hiding as for there past chief im sure he wasnt crying and atleast he would have took command and not hide the whole time so mr.rumor if u have something to say maybe u should found the past chief and talk to him or visit the east bangor firefighters and tell your problems i would tell u to talk with there chief but he would hiding
I Heard The Same But I Heard He Was Running Around With A Black Helmet Instead Of A white Helmet From What I Heard The Asst. Chief Had To Runn The Scene I Think If There "Chief" Can't Handle It Maybe He Should Step Down Before He Gets Someone Hurt Cause The Asst. Chief isn't There To run The Scene.To All The East Bangor fireFighters And Asst Chief KUDOS For Will Done Job

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Bangor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Renegade winery - Don't buy Jul '18 Elmer 3
Camp Waltell (Aug '08) Jul '18 RuffMoore 77
News Write to Know: Does anyone remember Manitou Cot... (Aug '08) Jul '18 rob 94
Stroudsburg Topix Died in 2014 ⚰ Jun '18 Trump Nation 3
DIY Obituary: Eric Matthew Frein (Sep '14) May '18 RIP Stroudsburg t... 14
How I got the Stroudsburg posters to STFU! (Dec '14) May '18 RIP Stroudsburg t... 2
Stroudsburg Topix is DEAD (Sep '16) May '18 RIP Stroudsburg t... 4

East Bangor Jobs

Personal Finance

East Bangor Mortgages