Mother Of Drowning Victim Wants Answers

Mother Of Drowning Victim Wants Answers

There are 95 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Jul 30, 2007, titled Mother Of Drowning Victim Wants Answers. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The mother of a ten year old East Aurora girl who drowned two weeks ago wants to know if more could have been done to save her child.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
kate

Buffalo, NY

#1 Jul 30, 2007
What a sad story, so so sad.
Trained life guards and family members and this still happened. You can not be careful enough. How could the aunt have let this child out of her sight for one second.?? God Bless the family
ECMC Nurse

Livermore Falls, ME

#2 Jul 30, 2007
YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS THAT THESE BEACH'S AND AMUSEMENT PARKS HIRE THE 18 YEAR OLDS THAT REALLY HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN REAL EMERGENCIES AND PANIC UNDER PRESSURE RATHER THAN ADULT INSTINCT KICKING IN, I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AND THE "LIFE GUARD" WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE BLOW THE WHISTLE AND MY FRIEND WAS ABLE TO GET MY SON OUT OF THE WATER BEFORE THE "LIFE GUARD" EVER ENTERED THE WATER, I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY ARE NOT TRAINED BUT THERE A CERTAIN THINGS THAT SHOULD BE LEFT UP TO ADULTS (OVER 21 OR 25 EVEN)AGAIN THIS WEEK END WAS AT "DL" AND WAS COMMENTING TO MY HUSBAND IN REGARDS TO THE FACT THAT THEY SHOULD UP THE AGE REQUIREMENT WHEN AN "OFF DUTY" (lol!) EMPLOYEE BUTTED IN TO COMMENT (SHE DIDN'T APPEAR TO BE A DAY OVER 18 EITHER) THESE ARE PEOPLES LIVES YOU ARE DEALING WITH! EVEN NURSES 18? THAT’S A JOKE! THERE ARE SOME RESPONSIBLE
JenLori

Fond Du Lac, WI

#3 Jul 30, 2007
God bless the family in this situation. I'm sorry to say such things do happen.
Harsh Reality

Washington, DC

#4 Jul 30, 2007
Sorry for the mother, but I am so tired of family members blaming other people for accidental deaths. Was there something more that could have been done? Yes; supervision, plain and simple, when you swim in a public environment, you swim at your own risk. Lifeguards are not responsible for the lives of the swimmers, they are a last line of defense.
Concerned Citizen

Buffalo, NY

#5 Jul 30, 2007
You knew that was coming, but YES more could have been done to prevent this. I'll explain:
You should should have been more protective of your daughter! Nuff said. You are to blame. I would watch my child like a HAWK while in the water at any age, literally, but I guess sometimes it pays to be overprotective than under.
While its sad, the only person I feel sorry for is the victim. I tell it like it is but the truth hurts, thats life.
Jackie

AOL

#6 Jul 30, 2007
GOD BLESS THIS MOTHER AND THE REST OF HER FAMILY AT THIS TIME OF GRIEF! As for the last post; that is way to harsh, so what you tell like it is, but should use tact and guard your tongue at times!!! How dare you judge this mother! I would feel the same way! Even if you are watching your children closely; it only takes a minute, or turn of your head that something could happen. My prayers go out to this family.
Bob Fisher

Athol, MA

#7 Jul 30, 2007
It always comes down to "Who to blame and how much can I sue them for". Well, look in the mirror and then look in your own pocket instead of mine!
Margaret - Orchard Park

Dunkirk, NY

#8 Jul 30, 2007
The family of this little girl has our deepest sympathy. It is truly tragic. We take our grandchildren to beaches, the zoo, Chuckie Cheese and watch them in their homes on a regular basis.
We never rely on life guards, zoo personnel and teenagers at Chuckie Cheese to keep them safe. Eight out of ten times there was someone at the gate at Chuckie Cheese when we left with them to make sure our stamp matched their's. Twice there wasn't (they could have been in the bathroom or eating a slice of pizze). It only takes is one time for someone else to take them out. Stamps and lifeguards are another form of safeguarding children, they are not fail safe. That is why we have them at our side at all times. We are not perfect, accidents happen and we pray to God that someone is there for us if they do. The bottom line is we are responsible for them when they are with us. If something happens to them in our care we would have overwhelming guilt that should not be transferred to someone else. I am also sure that all the people involved, family and lifeguards will never be the same and share in the grief and guilt.
GBH15

United States

#9 Jul 30, 2007
My prayers also go out to the family. I also echo the views of the prior comments. This is a horrible accident and I feel sorry for the helpless feeling the lifeguards and Aunt must be dealing with. My daughter is 10 and swims every day in the summer but not without adult supervision within 20 feet. Even the shallowest water can be a severe hazard.
Bookey

Depew, NY

#11 Jul 30, 2007
Maybe if we had a green budget, not red, there might be the right kind of equipment to help people at beaches.
MTL777

Lancaster, NY

#12 Jul 30, 2007
It is a tragic death but, I also agree that being the mother of a 2 year old. I live close to Hamburg Beach and when I take my daughter to swim there are lifegaurds on duty however, I would be responsible especially being a parent of a child that might not of been a strong swimmer. why wasn't the mother watching her as any parent would? I agree the parent is to blame. No lifegaurd knows how strong of a swimmer any child is. They are there for a last line of defense and supervise the "area" To prevent accidents. My deepest sympathy to the family it is never an easy thing losing a child I hope this is a lesson learned and other parents will watch their children better while at the PUBLIC BEACHES...
concerned citizen

United States

#13 Jul 30, 2007
A little girl died and all people can think is who is to blame and how much money can I get out of it. Why do people try to put the blame on everybody but themselves, why after someone dies are people just so sue happy. When I take my kids anywhere I am the one to watch them not a lifeguard, the lifeguard is just there to help ( a second set of eyes). The parent or guardian should be the first. If you can't watch your kids don't take them anywhere and don't blame anyone else but yourself. I really am sorry for your daughter, but sueing someone isn't the answer for YOUR mistakes. Why have the kids if all you want out of it is the money and not the responsibility
Jason from Williamsville

North Tonawanda, NY

#14 Jul 30, 2007
I grew up swimming in rivers, lakes and pools with no life guards. Of course back then parents were actually responsible for their kids.
ron

Venus, PA

#15 Jul 30, 2007
This is a very sad story. The problem I have with this, this is the norm of the day. “Lets blame someone else.” The aunt should have been watching the child and the aunt should have been behind the child or right next to the child. We need to stop blaming other people for our mistakes. It’s very easy to second guess what should have happened. Now the mother wants to sue the county. All the money will not bring this child back. If the mother is going to sue the county for the lifeguards not doing their job, then she should sue her sister for not watching her child as well.
E Amherst

United States

#16 Jul 30, 2007
there is plenty of blame to go around, but at then end of the day, thier kid isnt coming back.
Harsh Reality

Washington, DC

#17 Jul 30, 2007
To Jackie:
Tact is to be disregarded once the finger is pointed. No one was judging the mother until she began to blame everyone else for not watching her kid. If you would feel the sameway, I hope to God you do not have children. If so, get off the computer and go watch them so you don't sue me if they fall down the stairs while you are reading this post.
a mom

Buffalo, NY

#19 Jul 30, 2007
This is obviously a tragic loss and I'm so sorry, but sometimes an accident is just that -- an accident. Ultimately the adult who brought her there is responsible for her well being. That's the harsh reality but it is what it is.
E Amherst

United States

#20 Jul 30, 2007
maybe if she had a life perserver on or some floaties
Wil

Buffalo, NY

#21 Jul 30, 2007
Maybe the mother should be investigated. Adopted children with life insurance coverage and her moving from California? Sounds like murder to me. Instead of bringing a suit against the state so they can "reward" this neglectful parent, why don't they stick her in jail with the rest of the trash
johnny rotten

Buffalo, NY

#22 Jul 30, 2007
did the mother even say that she was suing for money? i must have missed that in the story...but somehow no one else missed it because all everyone keeps saying is that she is looking for money.i seemed to think she was looking for answers. and yes it is the LIFE GUARDS job to GUARD THE LIVES of the people at the beach.!!!!!!!!! if it was the parents job then why do we even have lifeguards at the beaches and pools? what is their purpose there then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Aurora Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Contract for Depew r... (May '08) Nov 27 Hillary for prison 132
News Sanctuary city mayors prepare for clash with Tr... Nov 21 Tim McVeigh 7
Tyler Langl Jul '16 Tara 1
Best make-out spots? (Feb '16) Feb '16 WOW 2
News New Officer Joins East Aurora P.D. (Nov '08) Feb '16 WOW 16
Coffee (Jan '16) Jan '16 Organic 1
News East Aurora's Toyfest Cancelled for 2008 (Feb '08) Jul '15 sebtree 39

East Aurora Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Aurora Mortgages