East Aurora's Toyfest Cancelled for 2008

East Aurora's Toyfest Cancelled for 2008

There are 39 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Feb 21, 2008, titled East Aurora's Toyfest Cancelled for 2008. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A popular Western New York festival that brings tens of thousands to East Aurora has been cancelled due to a lack of volunteers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fred

Buffalo, NY

#22 Feb 22, 2008
WHO CARES !!!
How about if you go to the local fire department picnic instead, that would be money spent on a US product, and for good use, all the fire departments have a carnival, move around all summer and make a vacation day out of it, wonderful chicken BBQ, some homemade claim chowder.. all for a good cause !!!
Fun for the kids too, Ice cream, games and rides.
Some have car shows but some like North Java have a lawn mower tractor pull and that is free to watch. So forget the toyfest drive a few more miles and have more fun. Help the fire departments help you !!!
Tia Dee

Buffalo, NY

#23 Feb 22, 2008
My family and I have only attended a few ToyFests. We found our day to be quite entertaining. The parade was great for the kids, who enjoyed seeing some of the favorrite toys larger than ever imaginable. It would have been a bit better if the souvenirs, t-shirts and toy of the year were priced a bit lower so the whole family could have something from the day. Fisher Price has gotten a bad rap since the problems with the lead were discovered, but it is the parent company Mattel that should hear about those complaints. Fisher Price is such an asset to the area. The ask for feedback on new toys after letting local children play with them. They use local kids to advertise their toys, by putting them on the boxes. They have a whole line of toys from early developement to early teen years. They have the fascinating museum for all to enjoy. They also sponsor special days with their character little people dressed up in costumes to thrill children who are use to playing with them through their playsets, books and videos. They will take a picture of your child with the character. They give the children an age approiate gift and even provide them with a drink and snack, all for FREE! You even receive a discount if you purchase a toy on those special days. I hope that Fisher Price will help out with the cost of ToyFest next year, so more families can come and enjoy a day together. We look forward to the parade this year and thank the ToyFest commitee for a job well done for so many years.
giffergab

Rochester, NY

#24 Feb 22, 2008
Free trade N.A.F.T.A From who's watch? now they all want hillery,wake up all of you!
Obviously

Windham, ME

#25 Feb 22, 2008
Bill O'Reilly called for a no gas on Sunday boycott a bit back.

I'm not just talking about FP, but why can't we as Americans start sacrificing a little and boycott (little by little until they get the picture) companies who steal away our jobs to pay others 75 cents with no health benefits?

C'mon, who is IN??????
Mike

Hamburg, NY

#26 Feb 23, 2008
I believe it does take a lot of work to put on the Toyfest event but,I believe the real reason for it's cancelation is tainted Chinese toy's.Who want's to go to a parade to celebrate toy's made by the children who should be playing with them.(without lead)It's just very sad.
East Aurora resident

Buffalo, NY

#27 Feb 23, 2008
FP does not run the event. The toy museum does. They only lease space from FP and present their toys along with many other toys in the museum. The Toy Town Museum also promotes toys made in the USA they have a whole toy line in the shop that is made in the USA. The only problem is people aren't willing to pay the prices that they need to be sold at to make either company a profit. So before you go bashing the Toy Museum do you research. Also the reason Toyfest was on Main St. last year was because the town would not longer let the museum hold the event in the park.
JANET

United States

#28 Feb 23, 2008
buy american wrote:
Unfortunately FP is not what it use to be. Employees are living in constant fear that they will be fired at any moment. The VP of HR is nothing more than a spinster who has no life outside her job. Power hungry climber who thinks she can run with the big boys. She has private information on Management and uses it to her advantage (J Edgar Hoover)! It is sad that with all their money they won't support Toyfest. Just like they won't give up the land (that they have no use for)to the overcrowded school! She just wants to show some man that she is in control! Believe me - it's not about the children or the community - it's about a power hungry biotch on a mission to control!!!!!
Sounds like YOU don't work at FP! Jealous?

Stop throwing the dirt, and GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
Rich North Buffalo

United States

#29 Feb 23, 2008
Maby..If Something besides the corporate offices were left in East Aurora,the desire to volunteer would have remained.
It's hard to 'keep up the spirit' when all the jobs moved to China.
Maby they should hold the parade over there?

“Get Some Cheese For That Whine”

Since: Nov 07

United States

#30 Feb 24, 2008
First, the people in the village hated Toyfest because they hate anything that interrupts their "quaint" village life for so much as a second. That's why they fight against any chain or big box stores. Don't kid yourself, they are driving their 5 mpg SUV's to Wal Mart and packing them full of cheap chinese lead toys and other assorted import junk, they just don't want to have to face up to it like they would if these stores were in their precious little town!
east aurora resident 2

Lockport, NY

#31 Feb 24, 2008
Agreed with EA resident 1... the town/village moved the Toyfest out of the park. Main street EA is about to be ripped up - literally - to widen the streets. Holding Toyfest is not an option. We'd like to focus instead on consolidating our village and town, getting an ice rink, and somehow perserving Main Street businesses when they close at 5 p.m. I thank God every day for this beautiful place in WNY. But our focus needs to be beyond the beloved Toyfest. History has a way of repeating itself. In due time, it may be back. In the meantime, go read to your children.
east aurora resident 3

Lockport, NY

#32 Feb 24, 2008
By the way, Buffalo refugee, we loved Toyfest. The events that EA offers to the entire
WNY community are part of what makes it awesome. I loved the city when I was there, too. And I loved the country when I was raising my own horses. And now I love my quaint little village life. You are more than welcome to give it a try.. but until you do, make sure you understand that we are also individuals who shop where it is economical. We are all part of that same race. The next time you visit a toy store in EA, you will see that toys from China as well as other countries line their shelves. Take care.
rich

United States

#33 Feb 24, 2008
at least they will still have the classic car show
AKJ

Atlanta, GA

#34 Feb 25, 2008
With all the recalls, their are no toys left to give!
Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#35 Feb 25, 2008
fred wrote:
WHO CARES !!!
How about if you go to the local fire department picnic instead, that would be money spent on a US product, and for good use, all the fire departments have a carnival, move around all summer and make a vacation day out of it, wonderful chicken BBQ, some homemade claim chowder.. all for a good cause !!!
Fun for the kids too, Ice cream, games and rides.
Some have car shows but some like North Java have a lawn mower tractor pull and that is free to watch. So forget the toyfest drive a few more miles and have more fun. Help the fire departments help you !!!
Great suggestion!! Support your local volunteers!
buy american

Buffalo, NY

#36 Feb 25, 2008
JANET wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like YOU don't work at FP! Jealous?
Stop throwing the dirt, and GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
You are correct I don't work at FP (and that's a good thing). Have a great friend that does who is trying desperately to get out. It simply is not the same. Employees are not being treated well (especially in the call center). It's very sad! Just supporting the working man!
Don

United States

#37 Mar 1, 2008
What a shame, great event, attended and vended every year for the past 5, I was never asked if I could find volenteers, I would have been more than happy to. As usual, the stuck up little communitys will be happy no parking problems for a whole weekend. Definately an internal problem that hurts alot of Western New Yorkers and kids alike. Shame on you Fisher Price!
Andy

Tonawanda, NY

#38 Jun 14, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
I'm sure all the recalls over the past year had just a "little" something to do with this too.
I agree
GO AWAY

United States

#39 Jun 15, 2008
"The Village of East Aurora citizens were never to friendly to this event anyways, felt that it interupted there Quality of Life. Get over yourselves. Look at it as a way to keep those crappy little shops a float for another year.Good Luck "

"East Aurora people are stuffy, like there crap don't skink anyway. "

"First, the people in the village hated Toyfest because they hate anything that interrupts their "quaint" village life for so much as a second. "

STAY OUT OF EAST AURORA IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT!!!!
sebtree

Bradenton, FL

#40 Jul 25, 2015
Vote for Ralph Nader if you want an honest true American leader representing the people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Aurora Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 25 Sister Beatrice 1
Tyler Langl Jul '16 Tara 1
Best make-out spots? (Feb '16) Feb '16 WOW 2
News New Officer Joins East Aurora P.D. (Nov '08) Feb '16 WOW 16
Coffee (Jan '16) Jan '16 Organic 1
Horse Abuse .. (Jun '15) Jun '15 Glen 1
Vidlers (Jun '15) Jun '15 Taxed to death 1

East Aurora Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance