Vail shooting spree suspect held without bail

Full story: Fox 31 KDVR 37
Richard Moreau makes his first court appearance in Eagle County. EAGLE, Colo. - A 63-year-old Vietnam veteran was ordered held without bond in connection with the weekend shooting at a Vail bar that left one person dead and wounded three others. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
karl42

United States

#21 Nov 13, 2009
Goes to show you there are Nuts everywhere. Perhaps not everyone should live in the thin air!!!
Priorities Folks

Pueblo, CO

#22 Nov 13, 2009
WHY wrote:
I just watched the video of this awfull act. Acts like this make me angry. Angry that innocent poeple have to die but I get even more angry when no one stepped up to try to stop the shooter. Bryant Compton said in his interview " I was difentely angry while I watched him shoot people on the floor right next to me." My question is Why didn't you act? Why didn't you put fear beside and stop him! Vailresident, Steeler Fans, everyone else there What about you. Why didn't you have the tools to protect your family. Why didn't you have the tools to protect the people getting shot. Not having a gun is not an excuse. Colorado is a Concealed handgun-permit state. "I'll never need a gun" well it just happened right in front of you, and you did nothing. Look- these 'Active Shooter' situations may become more and more common. The only thing you can do is be ready. Have the tools to defent that 9 month old little girl even if she is a stranger to you. It can happen anywhere. Be prepared and STOP BEING THE VICTIM THAT YOU ARE TODAY.
OH MY GOSH!!!! Are you serious right now?!?! Do you really believe that we should all just carry guns in case we need to shoot someone?!?! These "active shooter" situations could become more common..... you're right on that..... That does not by any means mean the general population should carry a gun just in case. How dare you ask these people why they didn't protect their families and others in that bar!!! It's my opinion that people who hold your morals and opinions should NOT be allowed a gun muchless a permit to legally carry one!!!
This was a very unfortunate situation and my heart goes out to those of you who were involved, and the families and friends of the victims.
vailresident

Denver, CO

#23 Nov 13, 2009
stunned wrote:
I am completely in shock at what Vail residents are saying here about this murderer - let's not mince words as that is what he is pure and simple - he killed an incredible man who was a father, husband and grandfather - took his life for no reason - stop defending him or saying now he will get the help he needs - take responsibility for your own part in this - you knew he needed help and was violent yet did NOTHING! I hope you and the Vail police walk through life knowing you could have stopped this senseless murder from happening and didn't. he deserves no sympathy at all - none. only the victims do.
I am not mincing words he is a murderer, who should rot in jail. I do not defend this pig. However how dare you blame us!. He was a man who had issues that many knew about, but that does not mean we had an opportunity or means to prevent this. I see you are from the Los Angelas area, I wonder how many thousands of individuals similiar to this killer are in your area. What have you done to stop them. Before you blame an entire community I want to know what is your responsibility in all the murders that happen in L.A.
vailresident

Denver, CO

#24 Nov 13, 2009
By the way don't be so quick to blame the police. They did there job arrestting him 18 times. It is the courts that alloweed him to run free. I believe it was a result of us always blaming someone else. I.E. it wasn't his fault it was because of the war. So he was always alloweed to get off easy. I for one never bought into his victim hood!!!!!
Steeler Fans

Scottdale, PA

#25 Nov 13, 2009
To WHY- Where and how did you watch videos of this act?
karl42

United States

#26 Nov 13, 2009
Steeler Fans wrote:
To WHY- Where and how did you watch videos of this act?
Stay quiet there in Canada! Just the way your Government like's it!!!
Steeler Fans

Scottdale, PA

#27 Nov 13, 2009
To: OH MY GOSH- Thank you for your support and common sense...
Steeler Fans

Scottdale, PA

#28 Nov 13, 2009
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Also WHY....we dont ever have shootings or murders here in Vail, so none of us feel or think that we need to carry a weapon. I realize you are not from here and that you might see more crime where ever you are from, but dont for one second try to blame any of us for this. I'm sure that if crime happened here alot, more of us would carry, but we dont and there is no way that anyone could have done anything other then what they did.
How did you watch the video of this violent act? Unless you are law enforcement, I highly doubt that you did!!
Benign

Erie, CO

#29 Nov 13, 2009
friendofvictim wrote:
WHY is either superman or a complete idiot. Superman doesn't exist. Settle down Tackleberry.
Tackleberry...ha ha! Hilarious!

Thanks for the laugh.
Steeler Fans

Scottdale, PA

#30 Nov 14, 2009
karl42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay quiet there in Canada! Just the way your Government like's it!!!
I'm not sure why my profile states Canada, we are from Pittsburg, Pa. I will change that. I can't begin to understand the way your mind thinks. You appear to be an angry individual. I will pray for you.
stunned

Orange, CA

#31 Nov 16, 2009
if you knew he carried a loaded weapon and saw him being served alcohol there was a moment you had to make a difference - that is what I am saying. I know of no one who carries weapons in the small town I live in - not Los Angeles - but if I did I sure as hell would speak up if I saw him in a bar and being served. maybe the outcome would be different - my friend's children lost their grandfather because of this, her husband lost his father... there are no words to describe their grief and shock at how this happened and how many Vail residents "are not surprised he did this"
vailresident

Fraser, CO

#32 Nov 16, 2009
What you said was that we will have to live with the knowledge {I presume you mean guilt} that I could have stopped this for the rest of my life.
I have lived in Vail for 18 years and I knew of this guy as a loser, free loader and load mouth. I NEVER knew that he carried a loaded weapon with him. I never sat and had a conversation with him, never skied with him. I never knew about his extensive arrest record. Vail is a town of 4000 permanet residents and a winter time population in excess of 15000, and Greater Vail {eagle county}has a population of 60000 people.
I also was on the other side of the bar when all of this was happening. I NEVER even knew he was in the bar. I had NO idea there was an argument going on by the front door. I was sitting with my family watching football.
So for you to suggest that I should feel guilty is horrible. Me and my family were also victims that night! This evening will affect me for the rest of my life, but it will not be for not doiing more. I COULD NOT do more.
I also know of nobody in Vail who is not shocked by this happening. Where did you see that we expected this to happen.
You say that you know of knowbody how carries a loaded with them. That I am sure is true as the same is true of me, but that does not mean there are not many,many that do carry loaded weapons around you and your family.
Of course my heart goes out to the other victims, but tring to suggest that they could have done more is foolish. How could they or I know what was going to happen.
Just wondering have you mentioned to the victims wife why she did not do more, are you blaming her as well?
STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS!!!!!
Steeler Fans

United States

#33 Nov 16, 2009
stunned wrote:
I am completely in shock at what Vail residents are saying here about this murderer - let's not mince words as that is what he is pure and simple - he killed an incredible man who was a father, husband and grandfather - took his life for no reason - stop defending him or saying now he will get the help he needs - take responsibility for your own part in this - you knew he needed help and was violent yet did NOTHING! I hope you and the Vail police walk through life knowing you could have stopped this senseless murder from happening and didn't. he deserves no sympathy at all - none. only the victims do.
My heart goes out to you, the friend of Garys family. Please understand that we were only vacationing in Vail and knew nothing about Moreau. It was only seconds before he started firing that we heard him announce that he had a gun. If there was ANYTHING any of us inside could have done, we certainly would have. I'm pretty sure your comment was directed to the residents of Vail, but I wanted to clarify this so there is no confusion. Although we did not know the victims, they forever have a special place in our hearts. If there is ANYTHING we can do for your family, please let us know. We wanted so badly to be there to attend Garys memorial service but we just couldn't.
You are all in our prayers!
Steeler Fans

United States

#34 Nov 16, 2009
vailresident wrote:
What you said was that we will have to live with the knowledge {I presume you mean guilt} that I could have stopped this for the rest of my life.
I have lived in Vail for 18 years and I knew of this guy as a loser, free loader and load mouth. I NEVER knew that he carried a loaded weapon with him. I never sat and had a conversation with him, never skied with him. I never knew about his extensive arrest record. Vail is a town of 4000 permanet residents and a winter time population in excess of 15000, and Greater Vail {eagle county}has a population of 60000 people.
I also was on the other side of the bar when all of this was happening. I NEVER even knew he was in the bar. I had NO idea there was an argument going on by the front door. I was sitting with my family watching football.
So for you to suggest that I should feel guilty is horrible. Me and my family were also victims that night! This evening will affect me for the rest of my life, but it will not be for not doiing more. I COULD NOT do more.
I also know of nobody in Vail who is not shocked by this happening. Where did you see that we expected this to happen.
You say that you know of knowbody how carries a loaded with them. That I am sure is true as the same is true of me, but that does not mean there are not many,many that do carry loaded weapons around you and your family.
Of course my heart goes out to the other victims, but tring to suggest that they could have done more is foolish. How could they or I know what was going to happen.
Just wondering have you mentioned to the victims wife why she did not do more, are you blaming her as well?
STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS!!!!!
I agree with you 110%. I simply need to say "What argument?" My family and I were sitting at the corner of the bar just feet from Moreau when he started firing. We heard him shouting crazy things to those around him, thus the reason he was being escorted out by employees, but unless we missed something, my family and I NEVER witnessed an argument. He wasn't happy about being asked to leave, but again, I did not see him argue with anyone. We had are backs to him. Perhaps there was something going on that we were unware of. But yes, we to are victims and I am in shock the way we are being blamed. Very sad!
Steeler Fans

United States

#35 Nov 16, 2009
vailresident wrote:
Dear Steeler fan
I want to thankyou for your heroic efforts that night. There is no doubt that there would have been more than the one fatality if not for your husband. If not for your husband it would have been 30 minutes till Jim had his blood loss under control. I for one do not understand why your husband went in to save a life, but the police took 30 minutes to go in!. There should be someone speaking out about that. To think that the man hiding behind the sound booth was waiting that long with that lunatic still sitting on the floor
Thank you very much for this comment. The reason my husband went back in was because we thought our son was still in there. Our family (except our son) all got out the back and then we heard more gunshots. We thought our son was dead. Our son was hiding by the pacman machine and watched Jim get shot very close to him. THen Moreau went to the back of the bar and our son escaped out the front west end door and hid under a truck. I believe my husband was acting on adrenaline. Thank God he did! I believed he saved Jims life. Hang in there!
stunned

Orange, CA

#36 Nov 17, 2009
in every article that has come out about this incident there has been at least one resident from Vail saying that they were not surprised it was this guy, many people talked about knowing he carried a loaded weapon - this is who I am talking about not the people who were there that night and knew nothing. I am in no way blaming the victims - I am finding fault with the people in town who knew of this man and did nothing to intervene when there were chances.
Wildridge Resident

Avon, CO

#37 Nov 25, 2009
From what I have read in the press, Rossi was convicted of a felony years back which is why his guns were taken away to begin with. Correct me if Iam wrong but the last time I looked at the state statutes, felons are not allowed to own or be around guns in any fashion. Apprently he got said guns back after pleading to the courts. WHY????? Whomever granted the return of guns to a felon should certainly be taken to task.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eagle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rental Feb '15 rental 1
News Eagle senior care center takes next step Dec '14 Calvin James 1
Would a Healing Yoga Detox Retreat Center Thriv... Dec '14 Jbellaragazza 1
News Bonidy v. United States: The Second Amendment a... Oct '14 Here are REAL ones 28
News Carjacker to serve 20 years in prison (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ashley Mangus 1
News Basalt students chat online with Holocaust surv... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Matt9969 6
News Aspen retailer, 250 others embrace Colorado's n... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Leigh Carter 1
Eagle Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Eagle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]