Neighbors Complain About Human Waste in Fertilizer

Full story: KAAL TV - Minnesota

Some neighbors don't like the fertilizer Lee Wulfekuhl has been spreading on his crops near the Dubuque County town of Holy Cross.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
justWOW

Claremont, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2009

Judged:

how long has the Ellerbachs lived in the country??? what do they think living in the country consists of?? I've had lots of city people move into the country and then complain about common farming practices..
yep

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2009

I agree with you about the city people moving to the country. They say they want to get back in touch with nature but then they complain about nature. They'll whine about the smells of farming, the ag equipment that "shouldn't be on the road" , complain when animals get into their flowers or gardens etc.

I think in this case though at least some of the problem is that the use of human waste as fertilizer isn't a common practice and that the smell is much worse or different than the animal waste that is commonly spread on the fields with a manure spreader or "honey wagon" for liquids.

I always thought that human waste was not supposed to be used on crops, we were never allowed to do it on the farms I worked on but according to the news report it isn't against the law. Learning something new every day .
MaureenReilly

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

The people complaining are the Ellerbach's, and they have been living there for over 30 years and they are farmers.

So stop sniping about them being some kind of city slickers.

Many farmers complain about sewage sludge, and many consumers don't want to eat food grown on sludge. Sewage sludge contains human pathogens and industrial chemicals and heavy metals.

But the farmer is the sludge hauler and sludge spreader...so Wulfekuhle Injection gets a contract from Cedar Rapids for $1.6M and he spreads the sludge on his father's land and his uncle's land. But he has not followed the regulations.

He just dumped Dyersville sludge into a manure pit on his father's farm.

You can sign up to the list serve to learn more about sludge. Its free.
Maureen Reilly
Sludge Watch
yep

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Didn't say the Ellerbachs were "city slickers" just that i agree with the person with regards to city people coming out to the country and expecting the farmers to change. i didn't mean to imply that they themselves were doing this,just that it does happen alot.Sorry I didn't state that clearly, it was late , I was tired.
I actually live not too far from all of this,about 5 miles away or so and I don't ever recall being able to dump human waste on a field. Didn't know that was even legal. The city of Dyersville did get nailed for this after the complaints because they failed to follow the rules and they were ordered to remove it. Saw it on the news a little while ago. i didn't catch the time frame they were given or any fines etc.

When you farm you have to expect smells, when you live in the country you have to expect it to smell like the country , but I too don't think I would want the human waste smell near my home . It's not the normal manure smell and I doubt any of us would want our neighbors to dump it on their yards so why be suprised when the Ellerbach family didn't like it either?
Oh No

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Are you saying Lee Wulfekuhle is hauling Bio Solids out on farm land . Oh No !! Bio Solids are Toxic Chemicals that may come Hospitals, factory's , funeral home's, heavy metals, stuff dumped down drains. You name it , it's in there.
Think about it Animals eat what comes off that ground than, we humans eat the animal. And do you think this is right !! I'm sure there are other sludge haulers out there . This needs to be Stopped. There has to be another way of getting rid of this sludge !! And I'm sure there is !!!
This is a major problem for this World. We all could get very sick from all this Bio Solids. Than what complain when it's to dam late ! I sure hope this is not put on Gardens that we eat from..
Oh No

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Google - sludge watch

Google- www.sludgefacts.org
ran

Lake View, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2009

Oh No wrote:
Are you saying Lee Wulfekuhle is hauling Bio Solids out on farm land . Oh No !! Bio Solids are Toxic Chemicals that may come Hospitals, factory's , funeral home's, heavy metals, stuff dumped down drains. You name it , it's in there.
Think about it Animals eat what comes off that ground than, we humans eat the animal. And do you think this is right !! I'm sure there are other sludge haulers out there . This needs to be Stopped. There has to be another way of getting rid of this sludge !! And I'm sure there is !!!
This is a major problem for this World. We all could get very sick from all this Bio Solids. Than what complain when it's to dam late ! I sure hope this is not put on Gardens that we eat from..
u my friend are nuts people have been butting human waste on gardens 4 years and years and years you are 1 of those who is afraid of there own shadow.. the ellerbachs have problems 2 all of there problems are someone else fault they need 2 get overe it what do they have 5 or 6 law suits out. these kind of people should be shipped overseas
oh no

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

oh no !! they DON'T tell the farmers that it's not only human waste , thats not the case at all. there is hazzard chemicals . Dangerous chemicals in each semi load.Bet you did't know that !! Alot of people don't know this ! This is the part Wulfekuhle don't tell you ! maybe you need them to over load your land and we will see how sick you get from the chemicals. This is getting to be a real problem for in iowa & there have been several families sick from this crap. I hope your on wulfekuhle's list to be dumped on than you'll get it !! The only person that makes out on this is the sludge hauler other wise they are ruining the crop lands for human & animal food ! IOWA has no Rules & its a Dump Station for alot of other STATES !
obviously you don't know what your talking about !!
Each & every family has been a victimn of this & not one of these FAMILIES has asked for this. So we will see how Ignorant people like you react when it happens to you!! Human Waste, Sludge , Bio Solids it's all the same !!
oh no

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

Since: Sep 09

Pontiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

yep wrote:
I agree with you about the city people moving to the country. They say they want to get back in touch with nature but then they complain about nature. They'll whine about the smells of farming, the ag equipment that "shouldn't be on the road" , complain when animals get into their flowers or gardens etc.
I think in this case though at least some of the problem is that the use of human waste as fertilizer isn't a common practice and that the smell is much worse or different than the animal waste that is commonly spread on the fields with a manure spreader or "honey wagon" for liquids.
I always thought that human waste was not supposed to be used on crops, we were never allowed to do it on the farms I worked on but according to the news report it isn't against the law. Learning something new every day .
Mexicans simply love poop in the darden, and in the food! They hate the stink of clean!
oh no

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

It's not only Human Waste.There are semi loads & semi loads of these Toxic chemicals that are hauled into the sewer plant & blended in.Than it's hauled out on the crop lands.That animals & humans eat off of.You name it , its in there. That's the part Wulfekuhle injection don't tell the Farmer.They tell the farmer it's just Human Waste.(Not True). There were no Permits on the piles & on the liquid storage at John wulfekuhle Farm.That has hilly grounds & hauled 3 times that summer.They have never worked the sludge in the ground.Some chemicals when it rains will float.do your homework on the bio Solids & chemicals that is hauled into the human waste storage. Wulfekuhle's did get several fines! Would you want to eat out of garden or meat that may have Antifreeze & other Toxic Chemicals blended in with the human waste & crop lands for Fertilizer.That's whats going on here.There had to be a reason why Wulfekuhle had several fines on his farm.Ellerbach's are not the only one's that have gotten very sick, there have been several families.There also has been a farmer that lost over 100 cows & his land was condemed for 12 years.All because of the bio solids & over loading his land.
justWOW

Claremont, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2009

yep wrote:
it is common practice. and just because it smells different, doesn't mean it's worse, it's just different.
I grew up on a hog and cattle farm, you can tell the difference between the 2. is one worse then the other? all depends on your tastes i guess.
oh no

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

there is a huge difference with the Human Waste that has the Toxic Chemicals in it. The animal manure don't have all the dangerous chemicals add' to it.When the farmers spread manure the smell may last a week or two.Now thats good fertilizer !The sewage sludge smell lasts may last for years. Believe me I know. The Sewage Sludge has all the Human pathogens & Industrial chemical & heavy metals.Until it's been dumped by you , you have no IDEA what it's like.None what so ever!! The problem was the bio solid was not placed with common practice not even worked in the ground. This is not about the farm manure. this is about some one who did not do common practice with over loading his land with Sewage Sludge & Run off's & don't care how they made several familiies very sick.There has to be a way to process the Sewage Sludge and I'm sure there is!
justWOW

Claremont, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

um,, why do you think it's called a "Waste Treatment Plant"?.. most of the stuff can be safely put back into the rivers and streams. or should say it is put back ..
oh no

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Alot of people don't know that these Toxic Chemicals are dumped in the waste treatment plants by the semi loads and are not processed safely when they are dumped out on the farmers land. Not this case any way !! There was a reason why Wulfekuhle fined.. There was a farm codmned for 12 years & 100 cows died

www.sludgefacts.org
butterfly

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

They tell the farmer it's Human Waste & it's free fertilizer.But they don't tell the farmer that Bio Solids Toxic Chemicals are mixed in with the waste.
Why is it a Dairy Farmer cannot have a rest room in there barn. The law does not allow this, they say human waste is more hazard than cattle waste.
How can this be safe for our food chain.Courts finally reconize spreading sewer sludge on Farmland is a very bad Idea Document 104

www.sludgefacts.org
justWOW

Claremont, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

I don't drink bottled water either
butterfly

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

The sludge hauler tells the farmer the bio soilds are free. It's Free because it's HAZARD,HAZARD,I mean HAZARD!! they need a SUCKER to take it. If it's free why is it free. There is nothing free in this world.. If you do your homework you'll understand why it's free Junk !
justWOW

Kenyon, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

it's the quantity of waste that is applied that could be the problem, too much of any good thing is bad..
butterfly

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

oh yes from what i hear they way way over applied the sludge on the Wulfekuhle farm. but any sludge on any crop ground is not good because of all the chemicals that are hauled in to the sewer plants by the semi & semi loads which is blended in with human waste. There was also Fines issued !!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Dubuque County was issued at April 23 at 4:24AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Dyersville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dyersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE