The Iowa farm setting for 'Field of D...

The Iowa farm setting for 'Field of Dreams' is for sale, and its fu...

There are 7 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 13, 2010, titled The Iowa farm setting for 'Field of Dreams' is for sale, and its fu.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Cars full of tourists park at the baseball field created for the motion picture "Field of Dreams" in Dyersville, Iowa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

amy fisher

United States

#1 Jun 13, 2010
as always jim... wonderful wonderful story. thank you sir.
joe scherrman

Dyersville, IA

#2 Jun 14, 2010
The Field of Dreams has been a big part of my life. It's three miles away from my home and shop. I've produced a documentary about the baseball players from the movie called "Ghost Player Relive the Magic" and published a book called "Travels with Ghosts and Other Tales"
The field allowed me a second chance to live my dreams from long ago.
Dreams can come true. Hope all the best for this wonderful piece of Americana.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 14, 2010
I grew up on a farm so I know a little about crops. What happens when the field behind the baseball field is planted with soybeans? The visitors must go nuts. I know they can't plant corn there year after year as that would deplete the soil, so at least every third year they have to plant soybeans.
Dick Coad

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jun 17, 2010
Good Morning all,
Childhood rooted in baseball. Born and raised around the Great Lakes. For me, this film is more than a sports movie; see it as poster child for "America." Even know now that there are three Americas, all chock full of Americans, that many of our ball players are raised in them. Also have learned that we all are Americans, not just some of us.
Revisiting the Terrance Mann speech, by James Earl Jones, sends again chills, chills of remembrance and chills of possibility. Something like Frost's "The Road not Taken." Not what could have been, rather what could be, now, and tomorrow.
Thanks to the author, Mr. Walsh, kudos. Thanks to the three above who have generously commented. Your postings help those of us who would also reply to the author and we who would thank the owners of this magic field, home to so many dreamers.
Sometimes past is present; sometimes present becomes field to future, growing yet another crop of dreams.Thanks all of you who created this field of dreams, those who admire it still. May you live long and prosper. Kudos, we also admire.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 17, 2010
Sell it and they will come.
Tony Loiacono

United States

#6 Jun 19, 2010
Memories of Putting on The Field Of Dreams Games in 91' & '92' by Tony Loiacono

Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams, as Ray Kinsella, searched for his dreams. Then one day, his dreams came looking for him. It included his ”Dad.”

In Field of Dreams by Universal Films, Iowa farmer Kevin Costner, hears the command of a mysterious voice in the wind, plows under his crop of corn to build a state-of-the-art baseball diamond. He is supported by a willing wife, a beautiful daughter and a dream that he could make a difference.

Costner (playing Ray Liotta) believes there is something special in his cornfields, and discovers, while music plays and shooting stars streak across the Iowa sky, that there are many other guys who never got to fulfill their destiny. Ray’s cornfield of dreams soon becomes the haven for a few restless baseball legends to play a few final games, just for the sheer fun of it.

We soon learn, Field of Dreams isn’t just a baseball movie after all. It’s about the connection between fathers and sons, memories remembered and longed for, love lost and found, the reality of a good wife; a overall lifelong experience of good and bad, that can never be taken away.

As the movie unfolds, a voice tells Ray (Costner) to search out reclusive 1960s radical Terence Mann (James Earl Jones), which Ray does, not having the slightest idea – why not, the voice was right about the cornfield. What follows is engaging (and well-acted) scenes of following your gut, confusing visions, images, and a dead doctor named Moonlight Graham (who comes to life in the form of Burt Lancaster).

As we find out, Ray had become estranged from his father but deeply regrets not having “had a catch” with his “dad.” As we learn, during his (Ray) youth they’d said some angry things and Ray ran off to pursue the hippie dream, never to see him again. His “dad” died before Ray “got the chance to take back some regrettable moments.”

In 1991 and 1992, I produced the Field of Dreams charity games with the support of MLB Hall of Famer’s Bob Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Bob Feller and Hollywood stars like Kelsey Grammar, Jason Priestly, Matt Perry and Meatloaf. But, what I remember most is “buzzing the field” in a twin-engine plane piloted by Jason Priestly, and looking back at my son sitting next to Ian Ziering (Beverly Hills, 90210) turning green and hiking through fields of corn stalking deer in abundance; and making memories with a son that will last a lifetime.

Today, I can’t watch the ending of Field of Dreams without getting choked up. It wasn’t the lines but the realities of remembering missed times in my life with my kids, not taking a risk or not fulfilling a dream. I did have many times of “had a catch,” as Ray would say, with my father but not nearly enough. Today my father is 79, and since I was young, we have never had a cross word between us but I too had a time of being estranged from my Father.

Reality sets in and tears fall from my face when I see the ghost of Ray’s dad standing on the Field of Dreams, as a young man, make his first appearance silhouetted against the backstop. But, just like almost every “Dad” I know, he too, had unfulfilled dreams. I cry when Doc Graham says “If I’d never gotten to be a doctor, now that would have been a tragedy.” I cry when Terence Mann says “People will come.” I cry when Shoeless Joe says “No, Ray. It was you.” I’m getting tears as I write this.

That’s because Field of Dreams is about the connection between fathers and sons, fused by blood and love and loss and experience, that can never be un-made. No matter how many baseballs – or epithets – have been tossed.

“Dad” enjoy your day Sunday!

A Proud Father, and Patriotic American – Tony Loiacono

In Memory of Field of Dreams, Dads and Dreams of our own fulfilled by making a difference in our family, our community and our country
Tony Loiacono

United States

#7 Jun 19, 2010
← Older posts

Father's Day Remembrance - The Field Of Dreams Games in 91 & 92 by Tony Loiacono

Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams, as Ray Kinsella, searched for his dreams. Then one day, his dreams came looking for him. It included his ”Dad.”

In Field of Dreams by Universal Films, Iowa farmer Kevin Costner, hears the command of a mysterious voice in the wind, plows under his crop of corn to build a state-of-the-art baseball diamond. He is supported by a willing wife, a beautiful daughter and a dream that he could make a difference.

Costner (playing Ray Liotta) believes there is something special in his cornfields, and discovers, while music plays and shooting stars streak across the Iowa sky, that there are many other guys who never got to fulfill their destiny. Ray’s cornfield of dreams soon becomes the haven for a few restless baseball legends to play a few final games, just for the sheer fun of it.

We soon learn, Field of Dreams isn’t just a baseball movie after all. It’s about the connection between fathers and sons, memories remembered and longed for, love lost and found, the reality of a good wife; a overall lifelong experience of good and bad, that can never be taken away.

As the movie unfolds, a voice tells Ray (Costner) to search out reclusive 1960s radical Terence Mann (James Earl Jones), which Ray does, not having the slightest idea – why not, the voice was right about the cornfield. What follows is engaging (and well-acted) scenes of following your gut, confusing visions, images, and a dead doctor named Moonlight Graham (who comes to life in the form of Burt Lancaster).

As we find out, Ray had become estranged from his father but deeply regrets not having “had a catch” with his “dad.” As we learn, during his (Ray) youth they’d said some angry things and Ray ran off to pursue the hippie dream, never to see him again. His “dad” died before Ray “got the chance to take back some regrettable moments.”

In 1991 and 1992, I produced the Field of Dreams charity games with the support of MLB Hall of Famer’s Bob Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Bob Feller and Hollywood stars like Kelsey Grammar, Jason Priestly, Matt Perry and Meatloaf. But, what I remember most is “buzzing the field” in a twin-engine plane piloted by Jason Priestly, and looking back at my son sitting next to Ian Ziering (Beverly Hills, 90210) turning green and hiking through fields of corn stalking deer in abundance; and making memories with a son that will last a lifetime.

Today, I can’t watch the ending of Field of Dreams without getting choked up. It wasn’t the lines but the realities of remembering missed times in my life with my kids, not taking a risk or not fulfilling a dream. I did have many times of “had a catch,” as Ray would say, with my father but not nearly enough. Today my father is 79, and since I was young, we have never had a cross word between us but I too had a time of being estranged from my Father.

Reality sets in and tears fall from my face when I see the ghost of Ray’s dad standing on the Field of Dreams, as a young man, make his first appearance silhouetted against the backstop. But, just like almost every “Dad” I know, he too, had unfulfilled dreams. I cry when Doc Graham says “If I’d never gotten to be a doctor, now that would have been a tragedy.” I cry when Terence Mann says “People will come.” I cry when Shoeless Joe says “No, Ray. It was you.” I’m getting tears as I write this.

That’s because Field of Dreams is about the connection between fathers and sons, fused by blood and love and loss and experience, that can never be un-made. No matter how many baseballs – or epithets – have been tossed.

“Dad” enjoy your day Sunday!

A Proud Father, and Patriotic American – Tony Loiacono

In Memory of Field of Dreams, Dads and Dreams of our own fulfilled by making a difference in our family, our community and our country

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Neighbors Complain About Human Waste in Fertilizer (Sep '09) Mar '16 svetlanik 73
black women Dec '15 canicucum 1
News Family frustrated by lack of charges in Dyersvi... (Jan '09) Dec '15 Peterson 97
Bob Scott? (Jan '15) Jan '15 hatelosers 1
Clint Mackey murderer violent rapist (Jan '14) Nov '14 qop 3
News New Field of Dreams Owners Vow to Preserve Fiel... (Apr '13) Jun '14 curious 2
News Man released after being questioned about shooting (Dec '08) Sep '13 Ivy Herman 123
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dyersville Mortgages