Best Guitar Players in Dyersburg
Callmethebreeze

Sioux City, IA

#123 May 20, 2009
music city wrote:
your right jeff mcguire is a very good guitar player.and if you know jeff you know he would not post something like that.that is some one with to much time on their hands.like most of the b. s. that gets wrote on here.
Now..Who is posting what?..One day..One thing..One day something else?..
Granny

United States

#124 May 20, 2009
Someone wanting to make sure they mess up a good thing going here.
wanabaplayer

Henderson, TX

#125 May 20, 2009
hey soundman, know who would call you phred
Sound Man

South Sioux City, NE

#126 May 20, 2009
music city wrote:
sound man are your initials m b? i think i know you.
Matt Butler ........
music city

Sioux City, IA

#127 May 20, 2009
i didnt know i was messing anything up.all ive had to say were good things about people.
Sound Man

South Sioux City, NE

#128 May 21, 2009
wanabaplayer wrote:
hey soundman, know who would call you phred
There are a BUNCH of people that still call me that but very few that know about the CrAzY spelling....PHRED !!! May I ask who this is ??
used to

Sioux City, IA

#129 May 21, 2009
ya know I remember a few bands, like tacky lace and border line. Speaking of drummers, i always thought that Johnny Gamble was pretty cool. Yea I heard Sammy burnham play several times. Jeff is a talented man as well as Ricky. I think wee should try to open up some old building just to play around or as a reunion
Sound Man

South Sioux City, NE

#130 May 21, 2009
used to wrote:
ya know I remember a few bands, like tacky lace and border line. Speaking of drummers, i always thought that Johnny Gamble was pretty cool. Yea I heard Sammy burnham play several times. Jeff is a talented man as well as Ricky. I think wee should try to open up some old building just to play around or as a reunion
I don't remember Tacky Lace but I was in a band that played around Dyersburg called Borderline... Lynn Harris, David Wheeler, Larry "Moose" Rhodes and ME..... Not sure if it's the same band that you're talking about tho. And YES Johnny is an awesome drummer so is his son Keith ....If you are serious about the reunion count me in I will gladly run sound for that !!!!!
music city

Sioux City, IA

#131 May 21, 2009
sound man i do know you and jeff mcguire.nothing but love for both you guys. you guys are the best.
Callmethebreeze

Sioux City, IA

#132 May 21, 2009
Man, thinking back on some of the posts about how is this and who is that is kind of funny...When you go in to play..you are playing for the crowd..you are not playing for yourself..That is what I always enjoyed..If I played somewhere with a band whether it be bluegrass( yeah, I grew up picking with Mike Snider and Tim Crouch..Used to jam with Mark O'Connor( Lets just say..I PLAYED RHYTHM and didn't take a lead ride around that dude)and all those cats who went on to bigger and better things..Everybody knows Mike and check out Tim's my space page..That guy has played on EVERYBODY"S album or been in their concert band at one time of the other..
I played country with Ricky and Randy Muncrief( Randy was the most talented musician I have ever known..he could play ANYTHING..and I mean play it good enough to hold down a three night job. Drums, bass, piano,fiddle,rhythm guitar, and could sing like Keith Whitley..he was a great friend and I still miss him.. Ricky Muncrief is the one who first inspired me to get an electric guitar..have NEVER officially been in a band with Rick..but have jammed with him so many times it isn't funny..and he and Randy were like my brothers..we all hung together for about 20 years...Tommy Criswell, Sammy Burnham,Johnny Gamble, Tab Hawkins, Max Winchester, Jimmy Leake, Joe Schenk, Ray Davis, Calvin Hollis,Kim Stover, Robert Street, Bud Luckett, Freddy Connell, All the guys from across the river...Buddy Godair, Bob Henderson, Mike Taylor( THE BEST PIANO PLAYER I HAVE EVER BEEN ON STAGE WITH..That guy is Billy Powell, Billy Payne and Pig Robbins rolled into one) Jeff Allen, Scott Barnette, Earl Perkins, lots of great COUNTRY pickers in that bunch..gigged some with "Cowboy" Eddie Long who played Steel with Hank Jr for 20 years.. Played music with everyone of those guys at one time or another and learned something from EVERYONE of them..
Learned more about Rock and Roll guitar from Micky Dycus than any person alive.....knows how to work on Amps..My lord he has TUBED and Biased mine plenty of times..Mick is a great guy and a great friend..Mick can play anything..Dale James is another great player, Ricky Rollins, The Lovell Brothers, Justin Henson, Paul Yates, Jason Penn, Andy Gurley when we were in high school was a monster..and he has made it big...Mike Reaves, All those cats who played at Shengigans in Union City..Chuck Garret, Ricky Morgan, Kenny Robinson,Michael D. Perry, those are all great guys..Larry Davis and Hank Keeling..A great rhythm section and two of the nicest guys you will ever meet..Jeff Keeling was the BEST DRUMMER I ever had the pleasure of being on stage with..My God, what a talent..John Bonham and Bill Bruford all rolled into one...Shame, he like Randy passed away at such an early age..Wes Henley and Stan and Greg Perkins..( Yeah Carl was their dad..Greg has passed away.but they would always let me get up and jam when I was a kid out at Loafers Lounge..Matt Butler, Mark Williams, those are some good pickers and some really great guys...O'Neal White and Lynn Puckett were MONSTER singers..never in the band with them but jammed with them..Those guys could really sing..My main man Doug Cherry..who would always let me BORROW his amp when mine was on the blink..Jimmy Story who had more Marshall amps than anybody I have ever seen...Mark Williams the drummer from Alamo was a monster too..Great guy as well..
But it all boils down to one thing for me...HAVING FUN AND MAKING SURE THE CROWD has fun..If I play a gig..and play with some REALLY good musicians..The club owner is happy..The crowd is digging it and we have a good time that is all the matters to me in the long run... I have been playing out since I was 16 years old and when the crowd is loving it and having a good time.."That is enough for me"..As The Late Ronnie Van Zant once said.."when you go on stage you ain't playing for yourself..you are playing for the people"..That's what's best for me...
wouldnt you like to know

Sioux City, IA

#133 May 21, 2009
jeff ham is plays bass & guitar in white noise he is the best.
Callmethebreeze

Sioux City, IA

#134 May 21, 2009
And Lloyd Noble..Lloyd started a band when I was just out of high school..Played at the old Moose lodge..Made good money almost 30 years ago...Played three nights a week with his band..Worked at Loafers for James and Sue Stutts..must say.."They knew how to run a club better than anybody I have ever seen"..We would do 3 night a week and the thing would be packed...Their motto was "Boys we can get the crowd here..It is your job to KEEP EM HERE"..Kenny and Doris Wilkens over at the old Showcase lounge in Caruthersville...All those clubs in Lake County..The Old Lake Club in Samburg..Showboat in Hickman...Played with the Pruitt brothers down around Covington and Brownsville....Man, used to play at the old "HARVESTER"..that was a carnival ride...all these old VFW's that are all closed up..Man, we used to play all the clubs from Hickman to Millington..Worked for the Nix brothers when they had "HIGH COTTON"...You play in Lake County to High Cotton..Man,you have seen some sights..LOL..Some of these TOUGHEST sobs who ever lived hung in those clubs..but I was always treated cool..Bands usually had it made..

Ran out of space on my first topic..thought I would finish it up here..Just wanted to say..I am partial to Ricky Muncrief and Mick Dycus when it comes to guitar playing..Anybody who plays guitar probably is too..That little left handed Justin Henson is another one who can "walk the dog"..just needs to keep his head on straight..

Times have changed though..There are no longer places to play..Not like there used to be..20 years ago..You could play 2 or 3 nights ANYWHERE in West Tennessee..that is about all gone now..there isn't even a BEER JOINT in Samburg now..Lake County has a few...Not like it used to be..But I sure had fun and miss a lot of my old friends..We sure had some good times..
friend

Sioux City, IA

#135 May 21, 2009
their is alot of good players out their ,mike prince from back in the day is the best i have ever heard, love mickey dycus, mark anderson,but jeff ham has style he will always be the best because he always he loves it and it shows
Rod

Miami, FL

#136 May 21, 2009
I vote James Martin.
realgirl

Sioux City, IA

#137 May 21, 2009
no offense but jeff ham dont have it.im sorry there is a difference in pickers.micky dycus,jeff mcguire,rick muncrief have it.it is what separates the silk from the cotton sorry just my opinion.
Music City

Sioux City, IA

#138 May 21, 2009
CAllmethebreeze,,,you are so right about those days. know about them you and Muncrief brothers were great. Tub was the most talented person I have ever known. Remember when he got his fiddle told his brother he was gonna play in the band with them .He said he was gonna play "Orange Blossom Special" Rick said right,,, Well i was at Loretta Lynn dude ranch that night .....Tab said special guest tonight. And that is was Tub brought the house down.Heard he got his fiddle on Thursday and that was on Saturday night.. Now that is talent .Like you said he could play anything .There is alot of pickers in Dburg .But it takes Talent to be like the Muncrief Bros. and that they are ======== They get my vote .........
CallmetheBreeze

Sioux City, IA

#139 May 21, 2009
The Late Randy Wilson had an acoustic upright bass...and was telling "Tub and Me" how hard it was to learn to play..and I laughed and said.."Tub can play it in 5 minutes"...And he did..LOL..Tommy Gibbons had truck problems and couldn't make it one night at "The Dude Ranch" ( man, those were the days..Ricky, Johnny Gamble, Jimmy Leake and Tommy backed up Tab..I wasn't even out of high school and was going with those guys every Saturday up to Waverly)..anyway Tommy's Fender P bass was there and so was his amp..Tab said.."What are we gonna do for a bass player"..Ricky said.."Randy can play"...Johnny G. said.."I ain't going on stage with that kid playing bass"..Ricky laughed and said.."Don't worry he can do it..Johnny had to eat crow..Said ( No offense to Tommy) damn, if he didn't sound as good as Tommy did...

Ricky,Jimmy,Calvin Hollis and Kim Stover started a band Johnny had gone to work at the Chaparrel in Caruthersville..."Tub " said I can play drums..and he did..He had a little kit when he was a kid and told me he learned playing with an "ELVIS Live from Hawaii album"...Learned to play like Ronnie Tutt...Learned to play the fiddle in no time..Took him with me to Memphis back in 1979 to the Liberty Land "Fiddling Contest"..where they had contests in Bluegrass music..Best Fiddler, mandolin, banjo, guitar, etc...I showed him the songs two days before..he played rhythm for me and I won..beat out 23 other guitar players..I was crowned "West Tn.Flat top guitar champion for 1979"..That is where I met Mike Snider and Charlie Derrington( Charlie was the man who put Bill Monroe's mandolin back together after somebody broke in his house and smashed the thing with a fire poker..Charlie sadly was killed a couple of years ago when a drunk illegal alien came down a one way street and hit Charlie who was riding his motorcycle.. Hell, when were the house band at the Showcase..Tub and I were the only two who were REGULARS..that is sometimes the drummer would get a better gig or have to quit or the same thing for the bass player...If we found a Killer bass player..He would play drums..If we found a Killer Drummer he would play bass..the last year he told Kenny Wilkens."IF you buy a PIANO I will play it'..It was a Yamaha Clavinova that had a switch which acted like a CAPO on a guitar..You could play ANYTHING in C...No matter what key we were in..The piano player could transpose to C...In two weeks he took the stage..after about 2 months he didn't use that transposer..and sing..and funny thing about that..he was in a band for a few years before he ever started to sing on stage..

But Ricky is just as talented..he has just been so DAMN good on guitar nobody wants to hear him play anything else..Played bass with us one night and blew my mind..then saw him one night at Loafer's Lounge play drums for a WHOLE SET..and never missed a beat..and I NEVER HAD SAW him even sit down behind a set of drums...But you know what is wild..Ricky has 3 kids..Randy has one..and none of them can play anything..NOT ONE THING..They have two sisters.and one of them can play piano..I think she plays in church..Nothing like Tub though..Those two were something else..been a down UP AND DOWN the road a bunch of miles with those two boys..was at the hospital right after two of Ricky's kids were born and right after Randy's son was born..and I was a pallbearer at their daddy's funeral.. I was TIGHT with those two..
realgirl

Sioux City, IA

#140 May 23, 2009
hey callmethebreeze you really remember alot of stuff.things i had forgot about.man those were some great times.rick muncrief told me one time you and randy were tight.said randy thought of you like a brother.you and randy played alot together.i use to see you guys at showcase.randy would always laugh and make you laugh.but yall always played good music.
Otisfaye

Southaven, MS

#141 May 23, 2009
Mathew Gant rocks
CallmetheBreeze

Sioux City, IA

#142 May 23, 2009
realgirl wrote:
hey callmethebreeze you really remember alot of stuff.things i had forgot about.man those were some great times.rick muncrief told me one time you and randy were tight.said randy thought of you like a brother.you and randy played alot together.i use to see you guys at showcase.randy would always laugh and make you laugh.but yall always played good music.
I always said Randy could make you laugh at a funeral on Sunday Christmas Day...Man,throw Ricky in the mix and it was double trouble....Man, he would laugh at stuff but nobody ever got mad..it's a thousand wonders...Ask Ricky sometimes about Riding home from the showcase with me and Tub...Tub was SCARE Ricky to death..man we did some crazy stuff...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Right to work for less states best READ 43 min were still here 1
Trump will plunge US into massive recession? 50 min guest 12
Chimes for charity 56 min were still here 15
Majority of our fellow Americans do not want hi... 1 hr were still here 1
If you're not happy 1 hr guest 7
Jennifer Roberson 1 hr guest 2
I need some love 1 hr Nikki 16
Wild West steak house 7 hr Guest 42

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web