Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

It amazes me when I get around people who go to church every time the doors are open; same ones who are running their mouths about others and eatting all they can manage to hold. Let me remind you, there is more than one sin. I have had noses turned up at me because of things that have been TOLD by my so called loved ones.
We need to think about ignored sins that so many people are guilty of: you know who you are.
Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us,“Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares,“He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims,“Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites.(See Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:2, 2 Peter 1:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, and 2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).

Let's talk about not only FAT but how about being lazy??

Newton’s first law of motion states that an object in motion tends to remain in motion, and an object at rest tends to remain at rest. This law applies to people. While some are naturally driven to complete projects, others are apathetic, requiring motivation to overcome inertia. Laziness, a lifestyle for some, is a temptation for all. But the Bible is clear that, because the Lord ordained work for man, laziness is sin.“Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise”(Proverbs 6:6).

The Bible has a great deal to say about laziness. Proverbs is especially filled with wisdom concerning laziness and warnings to the lazy person. Proverbs tells us that a lazy person hates work:“The sluggard's craving will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work”(21:25); he loves sleep:“As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed”(26:14); he gives excuses:“The sluggard says,‘There is a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets’”(26:13); he wastes time and energy:“He who is slothful in his work is a brother to him who is a great waster”(18:9 KJV); he believes he is wise, but is a fool:“The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly”(26:16).

Obeying the Christian ethic and imperative to love others is a mark of a true Christian (John 13:35). In fact, Christians cannot even claim to love God if they don’t actively love other people as well because,“If someone says,‘I love God’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen”(1 John 4:20). The Golden Rule encapsulates this idea and is unique to the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.
sabbath keeper

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

people love to pick and choose what commandment they will follow. and if the ones in the bible are too hard they just make up new commandments of their own that are easier for them to swallow.

Humboldt, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

I have family who are huge.Post on facebok about eatng outall the time and how great the dessert is.They go to church screaming about how they live by the bible.Act like their church is the bestThe preacher needs to talk about being to fat,acting better than their own families,bragging on buying vehicles,boats etc.when they know people who have nothing.And those tight dresses and skirtsant going to get them in heaven.Some look slutty.

Since: May 10

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The bible is a myth. Get over it already. It was written by men.
Never amused

Pearl, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

Not nuts, not spam and I am not clueless! whoever voted that. Sorry.
gorb

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Hellbilly 1 wrote:
Agreed. It's full of short stories written by men. Most of these stories are not literal.

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

gorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. It's full of short stories written by men. Most of these stories are not literal.
They were probably taking magic mushrooms or smoking too much marijuana and all these things popped in their heads.
gorb

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

I think it's just a collection of stories passed down from the beginning of civilization. Portions are probably based in fact but not all of it.

At multiple points in history there have been meetings of "clergy" for lack of a better term and certain books were chosen to be included, others were cast aside. There have been multiple translations, revisions, etc. That collection became the bible again and again and again.

Hearing/seeing people make quotes in that wacky dialect from the King James version is pretty ridiculous I have to say. It's as if they think the old english dialect gives the words validity.

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Hellbilly 1 wrote:
<quoted text>They were probably taking magic mushrooms or smoking too much marijuana and all these things popped in their heads.
I am really sad that you believe that. We have a choice about what to believe and God gave us that choice. The Bible is the inspired word of God, yes, it was written by men, but inspired by God. I want you to know that God lives and He loves you. He is the author of love and wants a relationship with you. I will pray for you that your eyes may be opened and your heart may be opened to Him. I'm so sad that someone, at some point caused you to doubt or not believe in God and His mercy and grace, but perhaps, at some point you may come to know Him.
the dude

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

I love pentacostal puscuit

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
I like the bible. It keeps the door to my den propped open.
sad...
Just truth

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Narcissist and God: Love-Hate Relationship
http://youtu.be/rtdKptEDkSo
Bible reader

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Hellbilly 1 wrote:
Yes, it was written by many men over a 1500 year time period. isn't it strange that even though most of them didn't didn't know each other, they still managed to write things that were correlated with each other? There have been far too many writings that have come to pass for it to be a fake. Read the book 'The Case for Christ" and you will see that that book really is the real deal! Ok, now I'm ready for your smart alek response since you won't have any intelligent response.

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Bible reader wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it was written by many men over a 1500 year time period. isn't it strange that even though most of them didn't didn't know each other, they still managed to write things that were correlated with each other? There have been far too many writings that have come to pass for it to be a fake. Read the book 'The Case for Christ" and you will see that that book really is the real deal! Ok, now I'm ready for your smart alek response since you won't have any intelligent response.
you are right in your post, also the books of the Bible have passed the historical documents tests that are used to validate all historical documents. Not that I need that to believe it, but its funny how people will pick the Bible apart but believe writings by other people in history. And the Bible is older than most of the historical texts around, it had stood the test of time and is still valid today. Great stories and lessons to be learned. And practically anything that you want to read about.us in there. Its more interesting than cable.

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I am really sad that you believe that. We have a choice about what to believe and God gave us that choice. The Bible is the inspired word of God, yes, it was written by men, but inspired by God. I want you to know that God lives and He loves you. He is the author of love and wants a relationship with you. I will pray for you that your eyes may be opened and your heart may be opened to Him. I'm so sad that someone, at some point caused you to doubt or not believe in God and His mercy and grace, but perhaps, at some point you may come to know Him.
Maybe the aliens gave us that choice. People have seen UFO's and yet the majority doesn't believe it. Yet, noone has seen God and yet it's a billion, if not trillion, dollar enterprise. Do you believe in aliens?
canadian joe

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Hellbilly 1 wrote:
Gods Holy Word is no myth.Yes/it was written by men (but inspired men of God.)Hellbilly,I don't know who you are but make sure you are 100% accurate before you close your eyes in death.

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
Any so-called "god" that would punish someone for eternity over something so simple and harmless as not believing is an ass. No moral person would worship something that petty and vindictive?
And that's the truth.

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

canadian joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods Holy Word is no myth.Yes/it was written by men (but inspired men of God.)Hellbilly,I don't know who you are but make sure you are 100% accurate before you close your eyes in death.
I'm not worried. I would rather be an open sinner than a false saint. You just make sure that if he is real that you follow him to the letter or I'll see you in hell(if there is such a place).
Never amused

Pearl, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

I worry about some of you folks.
I would rather live my life believing in God and die to find out there was not one than to live my life believing there is not a God and find out there IS ONE..
Making fun of the Bible--propping doors, etc. I am afraid you have a hot eternity. You can believe what you want. I will believe what I want. I am far from perfect, try so hard not to judge people. Be kind. All I can say is, believe in something positive and stop pointing at others for what they believe in. Whatever you do, do it right. Get up off your lazy butts and work.
Really

Newbern, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Never amused wrote:
It amazes me when I get around people who go to church every time the doors are open; same ones who are running their mouths about others and eatting all they can manage to hold. Let me remind you, there is more than one sin. I have had noses turned up at me because of things that have been TOLD by my so called loved ones.
We need to think about ignored sins that so many people are guilty of: you know who you are.
Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!
Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us,“Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares,“He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims,“Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”
Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites.(See Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:2, 2 Peter 1:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, and 2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).
Let's talk about not only FAT but how about being lazy??
Newton’s first law of motion states that an object in motion tends to remain in motion, and an object at rest tends to remain at rest. This law applies to people. While some are naturally driven to complete projects, others are apathetic, requiring motivation to overcome inertia. Laziness, a lifestyle for some, is a temptation for all. But the Bible is clear that, because the Lord ordained work for man, laziness is sin.“Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise”(Proverbs 6:6).
The Bible has a great deal to say about laziness. Proverbs is especially filled with wisdom concerning laziness and warnings to the lazy person. Proverbs tells us that a lazy person hates work:“The sluggard's craving will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work”(21:25); he loves sleep:“As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed”(26:14); he gives excuses:“The sluggard says,‘There is a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets’”(26:13); he wastes time and energy:“He who is slothful in his work is a brother to him who is a great waster”(18:9 KJV); he believes he is wise, but is a fool:“The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly”(26:16).
Obeying the Christian ethic and imperative to love others is a mark of a true Christian (John 13:35). In fact, Christians cannot even claim to love God if they don’t actively love other people as well because,“If someone says,‘I love God’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen”(1 John 4:20). The Golden Rule encapsulates this idea and is unique to the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.
Could not agree more! Going to hell if you smoke a cig, but you can have a 50+ inch waist and make it to the pearly gates!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No law for blacks 4 min guest 12
pepper_126 (Mar '13) 8 min Garthok 6,957
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 10 min impulses 3,573
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 13 min Mississippi gurl 144,720
just asking 15 min yuh 7
City Cop - Office Clark (Nov '13) 18 min guest 16
44year old junkie 20 min BigDi_kDaddy 8
dyersburg school looks stupid nationally 29 min Guest 17
DCHS student suspended for saying bless you 33 min What 195
dead man 4 hr Pepper 25
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 11 hr Queue 97,220
david swift got his house in real estate 13 hr guest 32

Search the Dyersburg Forum:
•••
•••
•••