First Prev
of 13
Next Last
old goat

United States

#1 Jan 23, 2010
Shake Shack? The Hut?

Anyone remember this stuff?

What old businesses were where? Where did you go and what did you do?
old goat

Morocco, IN

#2 Jan 23, 2010
What was the name of the hamburger joint downtown? Silver Castle?

Sioux City, IA

#3 Jan 23, 2010
Lee's chicken 51 by-pass
Dybg Resident

United States

#4 Jan 23, 2010
Yep, remember them all. It was the Shake Shop and teenagers circled it endlessly in the 60's.
The Hut....to high for me, I ate there with a friend once. It had menus from all over the world tacked up on the walls. I asked the friend if they couldn't afford wallpaper.
I remember the Silver Castle, I actually think there were several of them downtown.
Then there was Hamburger Haven on East Court where the hamburgers were 10 cents each or a dollar a dozen. That was our "eating out" treat about once a month when my Dad would stop and buy a dozen on his way home from work.
Lee's....didn't care much for them. Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken came and went too. There was a hamburger place where KFC is now, I think it was something Queen...or King, possibly Dairy King.
No, that doesn't sound right either.
Arby's used to be a Burger King, there was a Hardy's where BK is now located. A Mexican food place was located on the lot where Walgreens is, it was torn down to make way for the Krystal, which was moved to make way for Walgreens. BTW, the Mexican place wasn't run by Mexicans and had the sorriest Mexican food I've EVER tried to eat. I sure was glad when we got our "real" Mexican food restaurants here since I love good Mexican food.
Western Auto and Firestone were both downtown. We bought a lot from WA because they would sell it to you on credit. I also remember Woolworth's which is about where Galleria is now. And Grabers...and the Black and White store which was later named Shainbergs...and Salenfriends.
A plate lunch at Chris's pool room downtown was .65 which included your drink, it cost a dime to play a game of pool. Pinball was .05 for 5 balls, chewing gum was a nickel, candy bars was a nickel, cokes was a nickel until they went up to 6 cents. A dime Baby Ruth was enough to last you all day and give you a real sugar high!
Mrs Westbrook (Kenneth's Mother) had a little restaurant tucked into the side of Roberts Chevrolet. It may have been a Silver Castle at one time but a plate with spagetti, white beans, slaw and a drink was 35 cents. Her homemade pies were another quarter a slice I think.
Lattawoods was where the richest folks lived, the Okeena area was where the rest of the rich folks lived.
The American Motors dealer was located on East Court Street in case you wanted a little Nash Rambler.
'Nuf for today......

United States

#5 Jan 23, 2010
back then everybody hung out at dairy queen or dairy dream

Since: Aug 09

Sioux City, IA

#6 Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone remember the Double R in Southtown? My family used to own and run it. Joyce and Don and Tom Roberson. Wondering if anyone had any good stories about it.

Sioux City, IA

#7 Jan 23, 2010
PelirrojaBonita wrote:
Does anyone remember the Double R in Southtown? My family used to own and run it. Joyce and Don and Tom Roberson. Wondering if anyone had any good stories about it.
araba burger awsome

Sioux City, IA

#8 Jan 23, 2010
I've got one for ya.I believe it was called Golden's.A game room/convenient store located where little Ceasars pizza is now.Used to be a hang out place over 20 yrs ago.Also before it was a pizza place remember Rick Hill nissan was there once also.And one more those awesome downtown doughnuts.I went by every morning before school.It's where the matthew 25:40 building is now.Those were some days.
yea

United States

#9 Jan 23, 2010
i believe the burger join where kfc is now was burger queen
Guest 2

Santa Clara, CA

#10 Jan 23, 2010
There was also Ben Franklins downtown and Gibsons where rent a center is now u had piggly wiggley and hays grocery stores downtown B&E AUTO parts store behind piggly wiggley revco drug store behind Mcdonalds Wal Mart was in the dyersburg Square shopping center Save a Lot was where hastings is warehouse foods grocery store was where freds is and we can NEVER FORGET THE FAIR WHEN IT WAS A TRUE COUNTY FAIR OVER ON HARRELL AVE AT THE GRAVEYARD THAT WAS THE BEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES THE FAIR HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME SINCE IT MOVED TO WHERE IT IS NOW I DONT THINK JUST A FEW THINGS I REMEMBER GIVE ME A LITTLE BIT AND ILL REMEMBER MORE oh yeah sonic was up the street across from harrell ave and kfc was where u turn to go to the hospital the hoe hotel(the plantation)
old goat

United States

#11 Jan 24, 2010
Packard dealership? Always heard about it. Where was it?

Ozment dealership - where the travel agency is now at the corner of church and masonic?

And the big Ozment house on East Court?
old goat

United States

#12 Jan 24, 2010
Yes, Plantation Inn. Gone with the wind.
tater

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2010
Dybg Resident wrote:
Yep, remember them all. It was the Shake Shop and teenagers circled it endlessly in the 60's.
The Hut....to high for me, I ate there with a friend once. It had menus from all over the world tacked up on the walls. I asked the friend if they couldn't afford wallpaper.
I remember the Silver Castle, I actually think there were several of them downtown.
Then there was Hamburger Haven on East Court where the hamburgers were 10 cents each or a dollar a dozen. That was our "eating out" treat about once a month when my Dad would stop and buy a dozen on his way home from work.
Lee's....didn't care much for them. Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken came and went too. There was a hamburger place where KFC is now, I think it was something Queen...or King, possibly Dairy King.
No, that doesn't sound right either.
Arby's used to be a Burger King, there was a Hardy's where BK is now located. A Mexican food place was located on the lot where Walgreens is, it was torn down to make way for the Krystal, which was moved to make way for Walgreens. BTW, the Mexican place wasn't run by Mexicans and had the sorriest Mexican food I've EVER tried to eat. I sure was glad when we got our "real" Mexican food restaurants here since I love good Mexican food.
Western Auto and Firestone were both downtown. We bought a lot from WA because they would sell it to you on credit. I also remember Woolworth's which is about where Galleria is now. And Grabers...and the Black and White store which was later named Shainbergs...and Salenfriends.
A plate lunch at Chris's pool room downtown was .65 which included your drink, it cost a dime to play a game of pool. Pinball was .05 for 5 balls, chewing gum was a nickel, candy bars was a nickel, cokes was a nickel until they went up to 6 cents. A dime Baby Ruth was enough to last you all day and give you a real sugar high!
Mrs Westbrook (Kenneth's Mother) had a little restaurant tucked into the side of Roberts Chevrolet. It may have been a Silver Castle at one time but a plate with spagetti, white beans, slaw and a drink was 35 cents. Her homemade pies were another quarter a slice I think.
Lattawoods was where the richest folks lived, the Okeena area was where the rest of the rich folks lived.
The American Motors dealer was located on East Court Street in case you wanted a little Nash Rambler.
'Nuf for today......
Que Pasa? Yes, it was pretty sorry. But the Judge owned it.:)
old goat

United States

#14 Jan 24, 2010
Old Kroger downtown.

State Gazette where Milly Jamison's law office is now (next to library), and radio station in back. Speaking of the library, did you know there was a Civil Defense nuclear fallout shelter in there? In the basement. Some of those old places still have food and water and other supplies stockpiled. Wonder if they still do.

I think James P. owned the Packard dealership.

First Presbyterian Church downtown, with the Tiffany stained glass window right on the street. Tractor-trailers driving by it every day.

Doyle Reed's?

AD Walker's office.

Manner's downtown.

The checkers room in the courthouse basement. Is it still there? The courthouse cigarette smoke was so thick you could hardly see across the hall.

The old jail. Close to the square.

Chequers in its heyday was the social gathering establishment after work. You could hardly walk through the place at 6 pm.

Feel free to correct anything I put up. Just rambling.
anon

Newbern, TN

#15 Jan 24, 2010
How about Pennys and Woolworths? I remember getting milk shakes there at the counter. Oh and Piggly Wiggly.

Sioux City, IA

#16 Jan 24, 2010
omlette shoppe were touchdown is the plaza kn root beer shoneys lowes were the church is by old nite city

Sioux City, IA

#17 Jan 24, 2010
Big Star was beside Gibsons, A&P was where Hastings is now,Big John's was in Dyersburg Square,
remember the big man standing out by Lake Road.
Homestead was across the road behind Wendy's
momof3

United States

#18 Jan 24, 2010
I think it was back in 81 to about 84 that my grandparents ran Savings Oil. It was located where Dodge`s Store is now, over in South town.

I also remember Big Lots, I loved going in there. We need more retail places here.

Bonanza, we would go there on special occasions which wasn`t very often.

Abilene`s Steakhouse was pretty good to. It was located on 51, beside Delta.

I can`t remember what was in the building that Save a Lot is in now. Does anyone remember?
Loved the Double R

Martin, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2010
PelirrojaBonita wrote:
I loved Joyce. Here is a story for you. My entire family hung out there. My dad and all his brothers. Wow - The story - I was around 5 or 6 and hated milk but loved milk shakes. Joyce, Dad and the lady that was mute can not remember her name but anyway they convinced me that the Double R milk shakes had no milk in them and boy did I like them. For many years I thought the Double R was the only place in the world that served milk shankes without milk. I knew alot of the Roberson's. Thanks for the memory
Loved the Double R

Martin, TN

#20 Jan 24, 2010
tater wrote:
<quoted text>
Que Pasa? Yes, it was pretty sorry. But the Judge owned it.:)
I asked my wife about this one. David Lanier did own it and she said that Que Pasa was the name but could not remember if it was before or after the name Taco Johns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 1 hr bno 105,681
Okeena pool closed forever? 1 hr Maleia 10
Transgender is a mental disorder 1 hr Maleia 61
Omg i just want an honest decient woman 1 hr Don 34
jail taking weekenders 1 hr Honestly 3
Murderer on mobile patrol 1 hr guest 14
NWA Midsouth 5 hr Submit 5
Browning st what is going on, police everywhere 12 hr Doc 10
Wreck on Highway between dyersburg and Newbern Thu justahorriblethought 24
More from around the web