masterguard scam
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
concerned

Miami, FL

#1 Nov 30, 2009
Does anyone have any info about the company masterguard ? i filled out a card for a $100 gas card at riggs on hwy 51. Then these salesmen came to my house.
TX Firefighter

Dallas, TX

#2 Jan 23, 2010
No, not a scam. They have a high quality product with very good warrantys, they have a better "people saved due to alarm" record than ADT security monitoring. They are expensive and to a point "overpriced" BUT you pretty much get the cadillac of smoke detectors, Masterguards alarms have one of the lowest failure rates in the industry as of current (a few years back in the 80's they had a recall). Many people complain about the price and why SHOULD they should pay so much - Masterguard salesmen are trained to tell you "you cant put a price on safety" which is true... But not everyone can afford it at that price so in that way it is a negative. The way I see the company is, it is like buying girl scout cookies - overpriced BUT they support good causes.(Masterguard has large scholarships for the children of firefighters who have been killed, they donate large amounts to burn centers and other charitys etc..) So I would say if you have the money DO IT you wont regret the security, if you dont then listen to the fire safety program they make you sit through.. it is worth your time and informative :)

Hope this helps?!
curious

Dyersburg, TN

#3 Jan 23, 2010
well that did not help. we have called around and asked others including the fire dept. it very much is a scam but thanks anyways.maybe u should buy it if u think that highly of it.
Robin Cradles

Waterloo, Canada

#4 Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like TX is a salesman. Who else would post all that BS about the companies history. If it sounds like a scam and you have a gut feeling it is, then it probably is a scam.

“What did you say?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#5 Jan 23, 2010
IT IS A SCAM......I just looked it up online. People please beware. If you arent sure check it out. The internet is a wonderful tool.....
Chris Roberts

Dallas, TX

#6 Feb 6, 2010
Legitimate company since 1971. If you have any questions about marketing practices, call toll free 1-877-453-FIRE to speak to a company representative. They can and will help.
meguynorth

Auburn, ME

#7 Feb 25, 2010
I just attended a meeting with the hopes of landing a successful sales job. 80 miles each way only to leave with a sickening feeling that I was duped. I am always cautious when attending an "interview" when met with a sales presentation along with several other folks. I was never led to know Masterguard was the company that this dealer represented. NE Fire Safety is as much a scam as the supplier. Similar and better devices are readily available at HD or Loews at a more reasonable price, like 10%. New contruction usually requires that all devices be wired together also.......... STAY AWAY I warn you.
fesserwetshave

Marion, OH

#8 Feb 27, 2010
They came to my house,I confronted them with all the negative hype from the Internet,they said this was not true.I offered to show them,they didn't want that.They implied I didn't know what I was talking about,I said "Okay,I will now show you".As i was punching up "masterguard",they made a very quick exit.
After talking to the local Fire Marshall and digging into this a little more,a lot of what Masterguard reps tell you is completly false.
It is obvious that some of the above positive comments are from Masterguard employees,how do I know this?Go to Google,punch up" Masterguard".The first link that came up for me was"Masterguard Scams"You don't have to read it all,the first two links will give you all the negative information you need to stay away from Masterguard.
Then get info from your local fire marshall.I paid him a call,got all the correct info I needed,right equipment,proper locations.The equipment he told me about met ALL applicable codes and regulations.I didn't need a lot,but I went for overkill,spent$114.00 on the proper units,it took me 30 minutes to read the instructions,install,and test 5 units.Masterguard quoted my sister-in-law$4400.00.for nine units.I spent more for units than I needed to,three had 10 year lithium batteries,two were combo ion/photo units.All the units wre around $20.00 each.
Check your computer and check with your local fire marshall,some of the many things you will find out;
Ionization units DO NOT have a 55% failure rate.
Ionization units HAVE NOT been banned from being manufactured in the US.
Heat sensors don't save lives.
Top of the line units that meet ALL safety codes and industry standards can be bought for less than $25.00/unit.
Masterguard units are nothing special,MAYBE they aren't even rated to industry standards.
All the "HOW GREAT THEY ARE" comments probably came from Masterguard employees.No one else would have any real reason to do so.
fesserwetshave

Marion, OH

#9 Feb 28, 2010
TX Firefighter wrote:
No, not a scam. They have a high quality product with very good warrantys, they have a better "people saved due to alarm" record than ADT security monitoring. They are expensive and to a point "overpriced" BUT you pretty much get the cadillac of smoke detectors, Masterguards alarms have one of the lowest failure rates in the industry as of current (a few years back in the 80's they had a recall). Many people complain about the price and why SHOULD they should pay so much - Masterguard salesmen are trained to tell you "you cant put a price on safety" which is true... But not everyone can afford it at that price so in that way it is a negative. The way I see the company is, it is like buying girl scout cookies - overpriced BUT they support good causes.(Masterguard has large scholarships for the children of firefighters who have been killed, they donate large amounts to burn centers and other charitys etc..) So I would say if you have the money DO IT you wont regret the security, if you dont then listen to the fire safety program they make you sit through.. it is worth your time and informative :)
Hope this helps?!
How long have you been working for Masterguard?Are you an"independent contractor/thief".Do you believe anyone has the right to take a retired person's social security check for two or three $15.00 smoke detectors?"cadillac" -no way,may not evev meet industry standards.There is NO WAY anyone could have death rates on anybody's equipment.
Punch up "Masterguad " on your computer,go from there.then visit your local Fire Marshall.If you are unable to install the equipment the Fire Marshall reccomends,an off duty "REAL" fireman would probably do this at a minimumal cost.It might even be possible to get the detectors and installation free.
Real cost

Frisco, TX

#10 Mar 4, 2010
Masterguard alarms really cost the dealer $50 each and they sell them for $399.00 each lol
So Right

United States

#11 Mar 5, 2010
Masterguard is a high priced alarm that does the same thing as one you buy at Walmart..if you want to pay those high prices, call me and I will sell you an alarm for the same price and I will buy it local!!
Chris Roberts

Dallas, TX

#12 Mar 5, 2010
I have worked for 20 years for MasterGuard. If it's a scam, it is a bad one... I should not get up every day and go to work. I should be on a beach somewhere by now. Instead, I work hard and support an unbelievably honest group of hardworking dealers who save lives. Once again, the internet makes for the most anonymous cowardly slander. MasterGuard is a 39 year old company who is proud of their lifesaving record. Thousands of lives have been saved by their products. Our Dealers are honest hardworking individuals who sell, install and service the millions of alarms and tens of thousands of customers. If you have any questions about the company or if you wish to report any Dealer, call toll free 877 453-FIRE or visit the website at www.masterguard.com For those of you who are tecnologically savvy, we are very easy to find. For more information on the charities and associations we support visit www.mgeducationfund.org . I challenge each of you who make absurd unfounded statements about the quality of commercial grade alarm technology and wholesale pricing to call me. For those of you who call us a scam, put your charitable endeavors against ours. We've donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to burn hospitals, fallen firefighters, fire schools, kids wish networks, child advocacy groups and much much more. It is really easy to slander someone on a blog and do it anonymously. If you really want to learn the truth call me.
fesserwetshave

Marion, OH

#13 Mar 6, 2010
Go to your Fire Marshall let him tell you about the equipment you need.
Your charaties?,Carity begins at home Clyde.If I were stealing as much money as you people do,I might give some of it away too.You lie in many ways,how could you know that no one one has ever lost their life with Masterguard equipment?You people don't even try to keep up with your "Independent Contractors",how could you possibly keep up with every fire in the USA and tell if Masterguard equipment was there?
If your equipment is so much better,architects,designers, and fire marshalls would be using it in all new construction.Maybe you people don't care about the lives in new residential hi-rises,many for the elderly and disabled.You choose to take old peoples social security checks for 5 or 6 smoke detectors that can be bought for less than $25.00 at many places,these meet all building codes,industry standards,and are recommended by legitimate fire fighting officials.
If you want to know the truth,go visit an architect,design engineer,or fire marshall.
Abidyl

United States

#14 Mar 9, 2010
I am a salesman for the company and have been for 15 years and let me tell you this is not a scam at all. I personally would not be able to sleep at night with store bought smoke alarms in my home and believe me you shouldnt feel safe with them either. As for the failure rate on ionization smoke alarms, that was a test that was done and it was non bias. Ionization smoke alarms are not working in a lot of real world fires, that is factual. Anyone who has ever attended one of my fire seminars knows that my opinion is simple, ionizations are better than nothing, but there is much better available.

If the store bought units are so good then why arent they being used in any new commercial buildings? Hotels? Schools? Hospitals? Nursing Homes? College dorms? Military barricks?

The truth is anyone who has a problem with Masterguard simply doesnt like the price, just say that rather than slander the hard working people of the company who are truly trying to educate, then protect the world from fire, one family at a time.

I LOVE MASTERGUARD, ITS THE BEST PROTECTION YOUR MONEY CAN BUY.
Abidyl

United States

#15 Mar 9, 2010
One last thing, I once had a woman say to her husband while they were thinking about putting Masterguard in thier home, "Honey, I dont think there is one thing we have ever purchased for our home that would be more valuable than this at 3am the night of a fire..." Think about that, if someone doesnt want to spend the money, thats fine, but please people stop trying to make peoples decisions for them. I know a lot of people who have bought things that I would not have spent that much money on. Thats thier business not mine.

And remember that every time you put something negative about Masterguard on a blog like this one, you may be costing someone the chance at life after the fire.

People are dying because of blogs like this one.....
fesserwetshave

Marion, OH

#16 Mar 9, 2010
Abidyl wrote:
I am a salesman for the company and have been for 15 years and let me tell you this is not a scam at all. I personally would not be able to sleep at night with store bought smoke alarms in my home and believe me you shouldnt feel safe with them either. As for the failure rate on ionization smoke alarms, that was a test that was done and it was non bias. Ionization smoke alarms are not working in a lot of real world fires, that is factual. Anyone who has ever attended one of my fire seminars knows that my opinion is simple, ionizations are better than nothing, but there is much better available.

If the store bought units are so good then why arent they being used in any new commercial buildings? Hotels? Schools? Hospitals? Nursing Homes? College dorms? Military barricks?
The truth is anyone who has a problem with Masterguard simply doesnt like the price, just say that rather than slander the hard working people of the company who are truly trying to educate, then protect the world from fire, one family at a time.
I LOVE MASTERGUARD, ITS THE BEST PROTECTION YOUR MONEY CAN BUY.
That's the whole point CLYDE<the store bought units are being put in commercial use because they are rated for that use,they meet ALL codes and industry standards.If the Masterguard meet these standards,WHY aren't they being put into new construction?
fesserwetshave

Marion, OH

#17 Mar 9, 2010
Abidyl wrote:
One last thing, I once had a woman say to her husband while they were thinking about putting Masterguard in thier home, "Honey, I dont think there is one thing we have ever purchased for our home that would be more valuable than this at 3am the night of a fire..." Think about that, if someone doesnt want to spend the money, thats fine, but please people stop trying to make peoples decisions for them. I know a lot of people who have bought things that I would not have spent that much money on. Thats thier business not mine.
And remember that every time you put something negative about Masterguard on a blog like this one, you may be costing someone the chance at life after the fire.
People are dying because of blogs like this one.....
Wrong again CLYDE<if anyone is adding to the death rate,it is anyone who charges ridiculos prices for equipment that does not meet building codes,industry standards,and is NOT reccomended by FIRE MARSHALLS>
Don't believe me,check your computer and check with your FIRE MARSHALL>Your computer has the same info mine does and your FIRE MARSHALL has the same information mine does.There is so much negative about MASTERGUARD on the internet,you and the rest of your bunch will never outrun it,keep trying,you shoot yourself in the foot each time you try.All talk and no chalk.You don't have anything to worry about from me and all the many other people who have shared bad experiences with your company,your problem lies with "THE TRUTH" as known by Fire Marshalls,real firefighters.planning boards,architects,design engineers,who DON'T use or specify your products.
Abidyl

United States

#18 Mar 9, 2010
You are a tough person to debate with because you do not have any facts to back what you are saying. Masterguard alarms are far superior to anything sold in a store. We are very proud of our life saving record, and frankly for a 39 year old, nation wide company, there is very little negative on the internet about our company. Most of the negative is just people like you who obviously have some sort of agenda. Thats the bad part of the internet, it is completely unregulated, you can & do say anything you want to about anything you want to and it can be posted as if it were factual. Id love to know what company you are working for so that we can do the same thing to you that you are doing to us....
Abidyl

United States

#19 Mar 9, 2010
Also, just so you know, I have personally protected dozens of firefighters homes with the Masterguard system. I can tell you that every time I have a fire fighter at one of my presentations they are very impressed with what we are doing, and ive never had one tell me how much I should be charging for my products because frankly, they would have no idea what my operational expenses are and thats what dictates the price any company charges for any product CLYDE!!!!!
Abidyl

United States

#20 Mar 9, 2010
One last thing, if you would have confronted me about all of the negative things you say you found on the internet, I would have gladly sat down and let you show me, then one by one I would have explained why they were not true. Because the things people are finding on the internet are simply opinions. OPINIONS!!!! Everyone has one...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My mom is behind on bills 26 min Impulse 42
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 3 hr Guest of a guest 10,965
pandering to the 23% of deplorables 3 hr guest 6
evidence of treason. There is no other word for it 3 hr guest 11
Mar-A-Lago in South Florida are not only costin... 4 hr amazed 6
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 4 hr spider 4,914
Trumpcare is the first part of a Republican war... 4 hr RED 2

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance