animal lover.

Halls, TN

#61 Jun 7, 2012
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>Actually my husband the attorney is happy to take the case. Bottom line is, they adopt out sick puppies and should be ashamed.
When you adopt you always take a chance on a puppy being sick. Shelters and rescue groups aren't getting the pick of the litter. If they did not do what they do these puppies would never have a chance at all. Sorry you had a bad experience but for every one that goes wrong many turn out great. If the puppy had nasal discharge when you got it maybe you should have noticed. My vet would never charge me that amount of money for a diagnosis of kennel cough and giardia. Anyway at least they are doing something to help puppies in the south find homes. Not saying it always is perfect but at least they try to make a difference. Most puppies never have a chance to get out of the shelter and the only thing they have ever done wrong was just to be born.
dsmedct

Woodbury, CT

#62 Jun 12, 2012
[QUOTE who="animal lover. "]<quoted text>
When you adopt you always take a chance on a puppy being sick. Shelters and rescue groups aren't getting the pick of the litter. If they did not do what they do these puppies would never have a chance at all. Sorry you had a bad experience but for every one that goes wrong many turn out great. If the puppy had nasal discharge when you got it maybe you should have noticed. My vet would never charge me that amount of money for a diagnosis of kennel cough and giardia. Anyway at least they are doing something to help puppies in the south find homes. Not saying it always is perfect but at least they try to make a difference. Most puppies never have a chance to get out of the shelter and the only thing they have ever done wrong was just to be born.[/QUOTE]

I did notice she had nasal discharge, when she came off the transport, that is why she went to the vet for an exam. It was the emergency vet that cost over $2800.00 for 2 nights, she was real sick. Maybe the vets. are cheaper in Tennessee, this is Connecticut. I am talking about total vet bills between her regular vet and then the emergency vet. also for antibiotics and x rays every two weeks, it was more than kennel cough. I applaud these rescue groups for saving the animals, but,I still will never recommend CPR dogs and Transport.
Fishers Mom

Staten Island, NY

#63 Sep 14, 2012
maybe you should look into a new vet -- not only have a worked in a vets office for 15yrs I just adopted a dog from CPR in April & he too had kennel cough,.. its very common for rescue dogs to get it .. garida as well .. both of which very rarely are life threating ... I live in NYC so vets here are really $$$ but the amount of your bill is out of control -- if it was more then kennel cough what was it .. why were xrays needed every two weeks .. sounds like your vet is money hungry .. also you did have option in 1st two weeeks to return dog if sick ,-- i can't say what you were told but never was I told my dog was covered for medical ..How long did you have the dog before going to the vet ? just any FYI any reascue , shelters have same policies -- they will not pay your medical ... if you can't afford vet care maybe you shouldn't have gotten a dog !!
dsmedct wrote:
<quoted text>
I did notice she had nasal discharge, when she came off the transport, that is why she went to the vet for an exam. It was the emergency vet that cost over $2800.00 for 2 nights, she was real sick. Maybe the vets. are cheaper in Tennessee, this is Connecticut. I am talking about total vet bills between her regular vet and then the emergency vet. also for antibiotics and x rays every two weeks, it was more than kennel cough. I applaud these rescue groups for saving the animals, but,I still will never recommend CPR dogs and Transport.
Fishers Mom

Staten Island, NY

#64 Sep 14, 2012
PelirrojaBonita wrote:
I did finally let CPR take my puppies after many talks with them. They have sent me pictures of all of my puppies in their new homes except two. One puppy I was really upset to see go and I have asked countless times for a updated picture of her. I get turned down everytime with the excuse that some adopters don't send updates. I trust that they are all in good homes but they can't send me one picture of my favorite puppy? That seemed really suspicious to me. They did take the mother dogs and got them spayed for free. I believe and trust that the puppies are in good homes, but is it to much to ask for a one pic of my favorite one out of the litter?
They can't send a picture if the new owners don't send them one !! I sent them pics of fisher every month since we adopted him ... some people adopt & never contact rescue again !
Fishers Mom

Staten Island, NY

#65 Sep 14, 2012
Just an FYI for everyone -- all these issues happen no matter where you get your dog , I have worked in a vets office for 15yrs & have seen dogs with kennel cough , Gardia, mange Parvo & even distemper ... they came from breeders, shelters, rescues & petstores ... all have an incubation period ..so mayb they didn't know the dog was sick ...
ha

Savannah, TN

#66 Sep 17, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>This act shall be known and may be cited as "The Tennessee Spay/Neuter Law."
2000 Pub.Acts, c. 789,§ 2, eff. July 1, 2000.
§ 44-17-502. Adoption; requirements
(a) No person shall adopt a dog or cat from an agency, including, but not limited to an animal shelter, dog pound, animal control agency or humane shelter operated by a municipality, county, or other governmental agency within the state, or a private organization operating a shelter from which animals are adopted or reclaimed, unless:
(1) The dog or cat has already been spayed or neutered;
(2) The dog or cat has been spayed or neutered by a licensed veterinarian while in the custody of the agency; or
(3) The new owner signs a written agreement with the agency stating that the new owner will have the dog or cat spayed or neutered by a licensed veterinarian:
(A) Within thirty (30) days of the date of the adoption, if such dog or cat is sexually mature; or
(B) Within thirty (30) days after the dog or cat reaches six (6) months of age, if the dog or cat is not sexually mature at the time of the adoption.
(b) Nothing in this section shall preclude the spaying or neutering of a sexually immature dog or cat at the discretion of a licensed veterinarian with the consent of the new owner.
Now go to all or just any and ask for records that show follow ups for the promised spay neuters. We are all supposed to have car insurance in the south too. 50% do not. AND, I'm from the south. I can and will say that <50% of all pet owners are neglectful and uneducated about how to properly care for any animal. Up to and including HUMAN children.
Fix them

Memphis, TN

#67 Sep 18, 2012
Either fix your dogs or find good homes for the pups, I'm tired of raising other peps dogs and other pets. Just be responsible pet owners!

Jackson, TN

#68 Sep 18, 2012
CPR saves hundreds of dogs a year! I have dealt with them many times and even adopted a dog from them. They are the real deal....Mollie Bowen is fantastic and has the heart of gold!
LOVE CPR

Savannah, TN

#69 Sep 18, 2012
guest wrote:
CPR saves hundreds of dogs a year! I have dealt with them many times and even adopted a dog from them. They are the real deal....Mollie Bowen is fantastic and has the heart of gold!
Agreed. Molli, Sara and Danielle broke the mold.

Middlebury, CT

#70 Nov 16, 2012
We adopted from CPR two weeks ago, and we love our wonderful dog, who's been just a great addition to the family. Even my husband, a life long pet non-enthusiast, thinks this dog [beagle/chihuahua mix] is pretty special. When we adopted him, his eyes were runny enough that I felt we should get him to the vet asap; by the time we did, two days later, he was very congested, so the vet started him right off with an antibiotic. When he developed a bad cough [kennel cough, probably touch of pneumonia too] two days after that, the vet added another antibiotic. When the stool sample came back positive for giardia and coccidia, two more medicines were added. But he seems to be recovering just fine, and has been happy and eating well the whole time, so we've been lucky. My feeling about all this: He's a wonderful dog who needed a lot of extra care after all he'd been through, as one would expect. Dog transports are not easy on a dog's system. It seems to me that the CPR folk are doing great work saving all these dogs, but they don't have the luxury of working under ideal circumstances; nonetheless, they seem responsible about doing the best they can, as far as I can tell. I feel lucky that I was able to help save this dog and get him the treatment and loving he needed. Any dog adoption is going to be a gamble, and I know it must be truly heart breaking when it doesn't have a happy ending, but I guess I think the term 'pet rescue' says it all. For myself, I feel very, very thankful that we adopted from CPR.
SAD

Bristol, CT

#71 Nov 30, 2012
I would stay far away from CPR!!!!!!! What a nightmare for my family!! My husband and I wanted to get a puppy for our children for a long time, so we thought an early Christmas present was a great idea. We went on their website and finally chose a puppy, everything was paid and set to go. We went out and spent a couple hundred dollars to get everything for the puppy. It was the week of hurricane sandy, so we were told transport would be delayed, understandable. Within a few days we get another email saying that one of our pups kennel mates came down with parvo virus, so they were going to keep our puppy for an extra week to monitor him, within 48 hours we got another email saying that he died!!!!! We were so devastated!!!! When we felt ready enough, we tried again and wanted to get the sister of the one that passed, we fell in love with that particular breed. Well, we couldn't get her either, because the whole litter had parvo!!! At this point, we wanted to give up, but in our hearts we still really wanted to rescue a puppy for our children. So we took a little time to heal and tried for a 3rd time, we chose a puppy from a different litter, and fell in love with him too!! Everything was all set to go for the 3rd time!! The day finally came to go and pick up the puppy off of transport. When the guy handed me the puppy he tells me to contact the agency for some free medicine because the puppy had a cold. Then I walk over to petco with the puppy and as soon as we get into the store, the pup had diarrhea with blood!!! I bring the stool sample to the vet immediately, and find out the pup had an intestinal parasite!!! This was another 100 dollars in medications. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end. Over the next few days the pup became even sicker, and I was making daily trips to the vet. We were doing everything we possibly could to make this puppy better. On day 4 of owning this puppy, he became so sick, we were afraid he was going to die, so my husband rushed him to the hospital on a Sunday night. This was after watching this poor puppy having non stop bloody diarrhea, vomiting, not eating, and just laying in one spot. The hospital took him in right away and couldn't even get an IV in him, because he was so sick. They ended up testing him for parvo virus, and it came back positive!!!!!!! There were no words to describe our pain at this point, the dr came out and told my husband they had to put him down!!! We cried so much over the loss of this beautiful sweet puppy, on top of losing the first 2 from the same virus. It's amazing how quickly you become attached in a matter of days. Our children still ask about the puppy, but it's almost impossible to explain a situation like this to toddlers. After all of this, we have decided to not get a puppy for a while, and when we feel ready again, it will NOT be from CPR!! It made me wonder what type of enviornment these pups really live in, how are all of these pups contracting parvo? They obviously live in filth!!!! If you are looking for a healthy puppy, DON'T go through CPR!!!!!
rescue dogs

Halls, TN

#72 Nov 30, 2012
SAD wrote:
I would stay far away from CPR!!!!!!! What a nightmare for my family!! My husband and I wanted to get a puppy for our children for a long time, so we thought an early Christmas present was a great idea. We went on their website and finally chose a puppy, everything was paid and set to go. We went out and spent a couple hundred dollars to get everything for the puppy. It was the week of hurricane sandy, so we were told transport would be delayed, understandable. Within a few days we get another email saying that one of our pups kennel mates came down with parvo virus, so they were going to keep our puppy for an extra week to monitor him, within 48 hours we got another email saying that he died!!!!! We were so devastated!!!! When we felt ready enough, we tried again and wanted to get the sister of the one that passed, we fell in love with that particular breed. Well, we couldn't get her either, because the whole litter had parvo!!! At this point, we wanted to give up, but in our hearts we still really wanted to rescue a puppy for our children. So we took a little time to heal and tried for a 3rd time, we chose a puppy from a different litter, and fell in love with him too!! Everything was all set to go for the 3rd time!! The day finally came to go and pick up the puppy off of transport. When the guy handed me the puppy he tells me to contact the agency for some free medicine because the puppy had a cold. Then I walk over to petco with the puppy and as soon as we get into the store, the pup had diarrhea with blood!!! I bring the stool sample to the vet immediately, and find out the pup had an intestinal parasite!!! This was another 100 dollars in medications. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end. Over the next few days the pup became even sicker, and I was making daily trips to the vet. We were doing everything we possibly could to make this puppy better. On day 4 of owning this puppy, he became so sick, we were afraid he was going to die, so my husband rushed him to the hospital on a Sunday night. This was after watching this poor puppy having non stop bloody diarrhea, vomiting, not eating, and just laying in one spot. The hospital took him in right away and couldn't even get an IV in him, because he was so sick. They ended up testing him for parvo virus, and it came back positive!!!!!!! There were no words to describe our pain at this point, the dr came out and told my husband they had to put him down!!! We cried so much over the loss of this beautiful sweet puppy, on top of losing the first 2 from the same virus. It's amazing how quickly you become attached in a matter of days. Our children still ask about the puppy, but it's almost impossible to explain a situation like this to toddlers. After all of this, we have decided to not get a puppy for a while, and when we feel ready again, it will NOT be from CPR!! It made me wonder what type of enviornment these pups really live in, how are all of these pups contracting parvo? They obviously live in filth!!!! If you are looking for a healthy puppy, DON'T go through CPR!!!!!
Parvovirus has nothing to do with filth. It's a virus, yes shed in feces but it only has to be a small amount. Parvovirus is always possible even in dogs from good clean loving homes but any rescue is a greater risk. I know a person who purchased a purebred dog gave him 4 rounds of shots for parvovirus and at 6 months became I'll with parvovirus. There is never a guarantee even if you do everything right. At least this organization is doing something. I hate it those pups didn't make it but there are many that do.
doe

Savannah, TN

#73 Nov 30, 2012
SAD wrote:
I would stay far away from CPR!!!!!!! What a nightmare for my family!! My husband and I wanted to get a puppy for our children for a long time, so we thought an early Christmas present was a great idea. We went on their website and finally chose a puppy, everything was paid and set to go. We went out and spent a couple hundred dollars to get everything for the puppy. It was the week of hurricane sandy, so we were told transport would be delayed, understandable. Within a few days we get another email saying that one of our pups kennel mates came down with parvo virus, so they were going to keep our puppy for an extra week to monitor him, within 48 hours we got another email saying that he died!!!!! We were so devastated!!!! When we felt ready enough, we tried again and wanted to get the sister of the one that passed, we fell in love with that particular breed. Well, we couldn't get her either, because the whole litter had parvo!!! At this point, we wanted to give up, but in our hearts we still really wanted to rescue a puppy for our children. So we took a little time to heal and tried for a 3rd time, we chose a puppy from a different litter, and fell in love with him too!! Everything was all set to go for the 3rd time!! The day finally came to go and pick up the puppy off of transport. When the guy handed me the puppy he tells me to contact the agency for some free medicine because the puppy had a cold. Then I walk over to petco with the puppy and as soon as we get into the store, the pup had diarrhea with blood!!! I bring the stool sample to the vet immediately, and find out the pup had an intestinal parasite!!! This was another 100 dollars in medications. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end. Over the next few days the pup became even sicker, and I was making daily trips to the vet. We were doing everything we possibly could to make this puppy better. On day 4 of owning this puppy, he became so sick, we were afraid he was going to die, so my husband rushed him to the hospital on a Sunday night. This was after watching this poor puppy having non stop bloody diarrhea, vomiting, not eating, and just laying in one spot. The hospital took him in right away and couldn't even get an IV in him, because he was so sick. They ended up testing him for parvo virus, and it came back positive!!!!!!! There were no words to describe our pain at this point, the dr came out and told my husband they had to put him down!!! We cried so much over the loss of this beautiful sweet puppy, on top of losing the first 2 from the same virus. It's amazing how quickly you become attached in a matter of days. Our children still ask about the puppy, but it's almost impossible to explain a situation like this to toddlers. After all of this, we have decided to not get a puppy for a while, and when we feel ready again, it will NOT be from CPR!! It made me wonder what type of enviornment these pups really live in, how are all of these pups contracting parvo? CPR!!!!!
They absolutely do NOT live in filth. Parvo is a highly contagious virus. It can lie dormant for a very long time. Filth is the nastiness you are spreading about one of the most reputable rescues in the United States. Look up parvo. CPR rescues puppies that are in the high kill pounds in the south. They can, and probably did contract the virus there. When they do not appear sick they are immunized. The shot is a live virus. If they already had contact with the virus, their immune system cannot handle the shot and they get sick. Just like the flu, chicken pox, pertussis, etc.. When one child in the school, church, etc..gets it, the others usually do too. You said you have 2 kids.Has either gotten an illness from the other? Does that mean you live in filth? Think about what you spread with your vengeful words. You may be the causeof an animal not getting a home with your asinine assumptions and venomous words.
rescue dogs

Halls, TN

#74 Dec 1, 2012
doe wrote:
<quoted text>They absolutely do NOT live in filth. Parvo is a highly contagious virus. It can lie dormant for a very long time. Filth is the nastiness you are spreading about one of the most reputable rescues in the United States. Look up parvo. CPR rescues puppies that are in the high kill pounds in the south. They can, and probably did contract the virus there. When they do not appear sick they are immunized. The shot is a live virus. If they already had contact with the virus, their immune system cannot handle the shot and they get sick. Just like the flu, chicken pox, pertussis, etc.. When one child in the school, church, etc..gets it, the others usually do too. You said you have 2 kids.Has either gotten an illness from the other? Does that mean you live in filth? Think about what you spread with your vengeful words. You may be the causeof an animal not getting a home with your asinine assumptions and venomous words.
You are so correct! Rescuing dogs is never easy and things go wrong no matter what you do. I hope everyone who reads this understands and continues to adopt.

Middlebury, CT

#75 Dec 2, 2012
I want to add another word here on behalf of CPR dogs [the organization]: While it's tragic whenever a dog or puppy dies, these folks are the ones trying to help as many wonderful dogs as possible survive. If you look at their facebook page, you'll see scads of pictures being sent in from happy owners even years after they adopted successfully from them. Personally, I have had only wonderful interactions with the group [there was a clerical error in the amount I was charged, and with one email to alert them, the problem was solved; moreover, they recalled my little guy and asked after him. Really, their work seems very personal indeed for all the wonderful people who foster and care for the dogs.] I don't think it's fair to expect that their important work of rescuing these dogs and pups come with guarantees of perfect health, because that's just not realistic. They and we have to work together in good faith to try to bring about as many happy forever homes for their charges as possible. Personally, I shudder with dismay when I think about our wonderful little dog [an adult beagle/chihuahua mix] having been in a high kill shelter, at risk of imminent death. We've only had him a month [and I think he must've been in that same transport as the poor Storrs puppy with parvo above, as his transport was also Sandy-delayed, so I think I'll be doublechecking with my vet this week that he couldn't still be an asymptomatic carrier], but he's been such a terrific, happy, well behaved, funloving little fellow that he's already added immeasurably to our family and pretty much fulfilled every dream my 8 yr old son has had about what a dog could be like. I am very grateful and have only good things to report about my interactions with CPR. I hope I would still say the same even if our wonderful new dog had not recovered from his own illnesses or suddenly now developed new symptoms. As devastated as I would be, I hope I would still be able to take that sad outcome as just the type of suffering and pain CPR is trying so hard to prevent on behalf of so many unwanted dogs and pups.
sam

Westfield, MA

#76 Dec 26, 2012
I adopted a puppy from them, he's perfectly healthy and beautiful, they do NOT pomise pet insurance, I don't know what that other poster meant. Also, they have adult dogs, too, lots of them so I don't think they're a puppy mill. My pup came with all his shots, was neutered, and even had extra heartworm pills in his packet, he had been privately fostered wth his litter .Also, they really checked my references before approving me. I would happily adopt from them again.

Jackson, TN

#77 Dec 30, 2012
Has any of you that have had puppies come down with parvo ever stop to think parvo could actually be in your yard? And before you answer dont say that you live in a new subdivision and new house and you've never had parvo there....do you really know that? Parvo virus can live in your yard for years! Danielle is right, ask your vet what their parvo experience is and their survival rate is. My vet who I love and dealt with for years will tell you to take to another vet because they have higher survival rate. Stop pointing fingers and CPR and remember it could have been your fault. Molli and her crew get out and work their butts off trying to save animals and are quite successful at doing so....walk one day in a rescuers shoes people....
Mystery

Humboldt, TN

#78 Apr 22, 2013
Hard people to get along with but do a pretty decent job at handling puppies. Not a puppy mill. I live right down the road and have actually been there several times. 1200 Gadsden Todd Levee Road, Gadsden TN.
??????

Savannah, TN

#79 Apr 22, 2013
Mystery wrote:
Hard people to get along with but do a pretty decent job at handling puppies. Not a puppy mill. I live right down the road and have actually been there several times. 1200 Gadsden Todd Levee Road, Gadsden TN.
Are you stupid? Why would you put their address?
Pawsinmypockets

Memphis, TN

#80 Jul 27, 2013
For any of you who might be looking to transport pets, I would like to put in my .2cents and say that I would NEVER use this transport company again. Our dog was left behind (a multi layer of miscommunications there that they can't be fully responsible for- but they were missing a dog they had papers for and didn't notice), rude responses to inquiries, no return phone calls to adopter, and when our dog finally got back to us-- very , very late, they told us they chose not to give him his prescription meds--- but yet the brand new bottle was nearly empty. Dogs were everywhere outside in pens with tarps overhead, a LOT of puppies, a dog roaming free made us a little afraid to get out of the car, and when we put our dog in the car, he was literally caked in mud. After finally finding this barn with dogs in every space inside and out, it looks like a puppy mill to me.
When we couldn't find out where our dog was and asked why the delay from 5am to 7pm, they got hostile and "didn't appreciate our accusations.." We weren't accusing them of anything! We just wanted a straight answer. Follow your gut- my gut says there is something fishy going on with them and I would NEVER put one of my dogs in their care again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 7 min Circles 150,427
miss me? 8 min a facade 61
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr Ben Fong 9,449
God is Great 3 hr Hidden Saint 147
Dixie Liquor (Apr '12) 4 hr Guest 23
Brandy Deere 4 hr guest 6
More Sheriff Box Blunders 4 hr guest 9
missing man ? 5 hr horse lady 168
Dyersburg Hospital garnishing wages without not... 8 hr jimbo 34
Shame on WalMart! 16 hr quest 8
FC Bank 19 hr guest 4
Grecians Steak House Sat ItsaShame 26
•••
•••
•••