Sickpuppy

Sandwich, MA

#21 Oct 11, 2010
I would never adopt from them again and I would discourage anybody to stay away. We adopted a beautiful puppy from them but little did we know, she was already sick. We started incurring vet bills right away, less than a week later. I e-mailed them to question shot records and so forth and got a very defensive reply back. After going thru their contract, it states they do not guarentee the health of any puppy and you assume all responsibilities. We never thought our puppy would ALREADY be sick. Beware of this rescue, at over $400 it wasn't cheap but we sure got 'cheap' service!
guest wrote:
I wouldn't adopt from them. They gave my friend a puppy that had medical issues and didn't tell her about them. After spending hundreds of dollars at the vet the company refused to refund their expenses at the vet and didn't give them the free pet insurance they claim to giv all puppies that are adopted through CPR.
Tina

Westford, MA

#22 Dec 7, 2010
I just received a dog here in Massachusetts that was brought up from Companion Pet Rescue via a New England dog rescue organization. I was told that they are fostered in homes, rather than one shelter. They claim that these dogs are fostered just as if they were their own dogs. Well my dog came to Massachusetts with mats in her hair. Her feet were caked with 'stuff'. I don't know if they really care for these dogs as if they were their own family dog, because the condition of the dog doesn't look like it. She seems like a MILL DOG to me, as she is very afraid of humans, but doesn't mind dogs of ANY size. She has severe problems walking. They did not tell me this until I had her in my arms. She has an appointment with our Vet today. It will be interesting in what he sees in this dog. I love this dog and will keep her forever.

ALSO, THE PERSON FROM RHODE ISLAND THAT POSTED A COMMENT IS PROBABLY LOOKING TO ADOPT A DOG FROM COMPANION PET RESCUE AND IS CONCERNED WHETHER IT IS A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS. THIS COMPANY DELIVERS DOGS TO MANY REGIONS OF THE COUNTRY. I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS AND GOT A DOG DELIVERED FROM CP RESCUE. SO R.I. RESIDENT HAS RIGHT TO POST ON THIS WEBSITE.
Tina

Westford, MA

#23 Dec 7, 2010
what wrote:
If you are from rhode island, why are you on here? I'm not trying to be ugly, I'm just honestly curious. Also, I think most of the dogs are kept in foster homes. But I'm not sure. I do know that I tried to rehome a dog or two (they were rescues)and they contacted me each time to tell me they would take them. Personally, if I wanted them to go to a rescue, I would've contacted them myself.
RHODE ISLAND RESIDENT IS POSTING ON THIS SITE PROBABLY BECAUSE HE IS THINKING ABOUT ADOPTING A DOG. THEY SEND THESE TENNESSEE DOGS TO MANY AREAS OF THE COUNTRY. I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS AND MY DOG ORIGINALLY CAME FROM THIS COMPANION PET RESCUE PLACE.
petlovr

Dyersburg, TN

#24 Dec 8, 2010
its so sad the way some people think they just have to have a pet, then once they get it, they ignore it. not sayin you did..just some people i've seen..hope they find good homes
Paige

Memphis, TN

#25 Jan 20, 2011
I personally know a few of the people that foster some of their dogs and they are very loving, caring people. They have rehomed a dog that someone dropped off at my parents house. They even let them know how she was doing after she got to her new home, where she went and her new name. If you want to know more specifics they work with Bells Animal Clinic an they will tell you anything you want to know about them. I took the dog to Bells Animal Clinic for them to do her vet check before they picked her up to rehome. That is where they asked me to take her at no charge to me (they were up north rehoming a dog at the time). I think if they are vet recommended they will take care of your puppies, just call Bells Animal Clinic, Bells, TN

Dyersburg, TN

#26 Jan 20, 2011
Dr. Aleta Gordon in Rutherford is a wonderful vet. I don't know what she charges for spay/neuter but an office visit is only $20 for an extensive trip and $10 for minor visit.She is VERY caring.

Since: Aug 09

Dyersburg, TN

#27 Jan 20, 2011
I did finally let CPR take my puppies after many talks with them. They have sent me pictures of all of my puppies in their new homes except two. One puppy I was really upset to see go and I have asked countless times for a updated picture of her. I get turned down everytime with the excuse that some adopters don't send updates. I trust that they are all in good homes but they can't send me one picture of my favorite puppy? That seemed really suspicious to me. They did take the mother dogs and got them spayed for free. I believe and trust that the puppies are in good homes, but is it to much to ask for a one pic of my favorite one out of the litter?
kcoco

Salem, MA

#28 Mar 8, 2011
I adopted my dog through them. They are the best!! They are truly as good as they sound!! I got my dog at 11 weeks old, sight unseen, he was fostered by someone in TN, who did an unbelievable job with him and his 4 siblings!! He was completely crate trained and only took us about 1 month to completely house break him. He has the best temperment and has turned out to be the most well behaved dog I have ever had!! I highly recommend either adopting through them or turning your pups over to them to adopt out. You can be assured that they with be treated with the utmost love and affection!!!
tngirl

Antioch, TN

#29 Jun 2, 2011
They can do this because they carry the dogs' to Mass. every week and charge approx. $400.00 per dog. They don't have a puppy mill. But with so many people wanting to get rid of puppies/dogs they are making a killing.....
BerkResident

Pittsfield, MA

#30 Jul 7, 2011
Avoid at all costs! Misrepresent vet papers constantly!!
Mrs Doe

Colchester, CT

#31 Oct 7, 2011
They are actually a WONDERFUL group!!! I got my dog from them a year ago and just started fostering pups here in Connecticut about two months ago. This is a great bunch of people really giving their all to make a difference in the world.
Here is their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/CompanionPetRescue
Thanks for giving your pups up and spaying your dog!:-]
Mrs Doe

Colchester, CT

#32 Oct 7, 2011
PelirrojaBonita wrote:
I did finally let CPR take my puppies after many talks with them. They have sent me pictures of all of my puppies in their new homes except two. One puppy I was really upset to see go and I have asked countless times for a updated picture of her. I get turned down everytime with the excuse that some adopters don't send updates. I trust that they are all in good homes but they can't send me one picture of my favorite puppy? That seemed really suspicious to me. They did take the mother dogs and got them spayed for free. I believe and trust that the puppies are in good homes, but is it to much to ask for a one pic of my favorite one out of the litter?
Its true--- MANY of our adopters don't send us pics!!! I foster in CT all the time and sometimes I get attached and adopt out a pup that I love and the adopter will no longer call me back or email me. It is really hard on all of us, not just you.
Mrs Doe

Colchester, CT

#33 Oct 7, 2011
wary wrote:
I am really wondering how this "rescue organization" could have SO many puppies, like 80-100 (many just 8 or 9 weeks old) all at once. This wreaks of a puppy mill to me. I would like to look into this organization and see where all these puppies are coming from, but I'm from RI. Any ideas from folks more local?? Thank you
This "rescue" can have so many puppies because SO MANY people toss their dogs out like garbage and let them reproduce like crazy- especially in the south. Go look up the humane societies in TN or GA and tell me how many puppies you find. This group is trying to do a good thing here by rescuing animals and fixing others for free and you people are just bashing it?

Of course some dogs might be sick- they were born from and grew up in *disgusting* houses/shelters. AND they do provide a "No questions asked" two week FULL REFUND and 30 DAYS FREE PET INSURANCE - Maybe you should go online and read their contract- everything is spelled out there. All dogs are quarantined for several weeks before being adopted out and FULLY treated for any problems that arise. Do you think you will get better from a pet store???

Grow up and do your research before you go around talking trash about people who devote their time, money, and effort to making a difference in this world. Thousands of dogs have been rescued/adopted out through them and on this site you see FIVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING.
DeBlois

Woonsocket, RI

#34 Feb 12, 2012
We adopted a puppy from CPR's CT branch last Wednesday. Here's what happened to us.

We prepaid for the puppy via PayPal and drove the two hours to CT Wednesday night. We were told that he would be 11 weeks old when we picked him up. He was much smaller than we expected and appeared to be somewhat underweight. We were told the puppies had arrived that morning and were "sleepy" because of the long transport ride. Our puppy was very lethargic. When we questioned this, we were again reassured that this was just due to the long ride. Before we left the facility, the puppy vomited once. We were told that this often happens after transport and is due to motion sickness. Feeling like this was reasonable, we took the puppy home with us. The puppy vomited three more times in the car. When we got home, the puppy had liquid, bloody diarrhea in our kitchen. We were hopeful that this was just due to stress and put him to bed for the night in his crate. The following day was more of the same. The puppy would not eat or drink and was becoming more and more lethargic. We took the puppy to the vet because we were so concerned. He took one look at the puppy and told us that we had a very sick dog on our hands. He told us that the dog was severely dehydrated and malnourished and that he suspected that he had not been fed or watered during transport. Additionally he told us that the puppy was no more than 7 or 8 weeks old and should not have been separated from his litter. He ran some blood work and gave the puppy IV fluids and sent the puppy home with us to monitor over night. He gave us some special high calorie food that we had to force feed the puppy every two hours. Despite all of this, the puppy continued to worsen in condition. We brought him back to the vet the following morning. They were able to get a stool sample from him and he was diagnosed with Parvo, a HIGHLY contagious virus that affects dogs. We were told that we could treat the dog but that under the best circumstances there was still a 25% chance that he would not survive. In the condition that our puppy was in there was probably less than a 50% chance of survival, and the treatment would likely be very stressful and painful for our little guy. We decided that the best thing to do was to put the dog down. We were devastated. This dog was VERY important to us! Two months ago we lost our infant son, and having to put our new puppy down brought back all of the grief that we have been working so hard to fight against. We contacted CPR. They were somewhat apologetic, but never offered to refund our money or help with our vet bills. They are now not returning our emails. We plan to continue to pursue this issue with them. We don't want anyone to have to go through what we have gone through. Our vet told us that Parvo is easily transferred from dog to dog, so the other puppies from that transport probably are infected as well. Additionally, we found out from our state's Dept. of Agriculture that in CT rescues are required by law to hold dogs for 2 days for monitoring. This did not happen, but if it had this situation would never have happened. Our puppy got so sick so fast, it's hard for me to believe that the rescue had no idea that something was wrong with this puppy. How disappointing that an organization that claims to care for dogs would treat any of them so cruelly. Sad for the puppies, sad for the adopters. We are just devastated. Devastated.
DeBlois

Woonsocket, RI

#35 Feb 12, 2012
"Grow up and do your research before you go around talking trash about people who devote their time, money, and effort to making a difference in this world. Thousands of dogs have been rescued/adopted out through them and on this site you see FIVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING. "

We did A LOT of research and read their contract VERY carefully before adopting. It is not the adopters fault that the rescue does not follow through with what they have promised. We could have brought our DYING dog back to them within the two weeks (two days, really) and asked for our money back, but we had too much respect for the dog to do that. Instead of criticizing people for their painful experiences with rescue adoption, try sharing your own personal experiences. If you had a good experience with adoption, I encourage you to share it. Unfortunately my experience was a terrible one. All I did was share the facts about what happened to us. People are free to make their own decisions, but they deserve to know that this happened once and could easily happen again.

United States

#36 Feb 14, 2012
Dogs can have the parvo virus for 7-10 days before they show signs of illness. this group would never knowingly afopt a dog they even thought had been exposed.
Danielle

Jamestown, OH

#37 Feb 14, 2012
You are talking about Companion Pet Rescue of Middle TN - that is a different group. The group in the discussion is Companion Pet Rescue of West TN, which is a great organization and saves 200 puppies and dogs a month that would otherwise die. I am a volunteer for this group and we work very hard to save as many as we can, as responsibly as we can.
guest wrote:
i have dealt with companion pet rescue and i found them to be very unprofessional. they are hostile and judgmental towards other humane shelters without getting all the facts. they claim to pick up others "leftovers" when they have no idea just what goes on there. they've even called other shelters and literally screamed and threw fits without really explaining what their problem was. i'm not saying they're not a good shelter. maybe they do good, i wouldn't really know. maybe they take care of their animals, don't know and don't really care. what i do know is that i cannot stand the people that work there.
Danielle

Jamestown, OH

#38 Feb 14, 2012
HAHAHA - we, the unpaid volunteers and handful of overworked, minimally paid staff are "making a killing" off of rescuing dogs? That statement is so sad and ignorant. The adoption fee includes all the food, vetting (vaccinations, spay/neuter, worming, even microchipping), transport, and we have a kennel manager. The adoption fees make our rescue group self-sustaining because with all the time spent actually rescuing, we have little time to fundraise/grant write. I spend about 40+ hours a week, after my full time job and taking care of my kids and husband, running to vets offices, pulling from high kill shelters, rescuing strays, screening applicants - UNPAID. Any leftover $ from adoption fees is used to assist people who need help spaying and neutering their pets - most people in the south have an iphone but won't pay $250 to spay their dog - people have messed up priorities but rather than get bogged down in that, we do what we can to spay/neuter as many as possible. We hope one day we won't be needed! But I cannot in good conscience see all these highly adoptable dogs die so I volunteer. Yes, because we save over 200 pups per month, and these are live animals from horrible backgrounds/situations, there will be issues from time to time but we always address them with the adopter, and our contract is very clear on the front end about what we cover. Our facebook page tells the real story of who we are: www.facebook.com/companionpetrescue . I can see from all these various comments that Topix is a weird place where people come to be snarky. If you'd like to meet me and let me give you a tour of a day in the life of a volunteer with CPR, email me at daniellehardee1@gmail.com and I will definitely put you to work! What we do is clearly thankless, but we get out thanks from the puppies who would be in the landfills without us. Have you ever been to a small West TN kill shelter? Most are on landfills for a very specific reason. I will happily give you a tour, and then give you a tour of my small house and my saturn I drive so you can see what a "killing" I am making. The only killing going on is the people in the south who would rather kill adoptable animals than mandate spay/neuter and restrict breeding and mills.
tngirl wrote:
They can do this because they carry the dogs' to Mass. every week and charge approx.$400.00 per dog. They don't have a puppy mill. But with so many people wanting to get rid of puppies/dogs they are making a killing.....
Danielle

Jamestown, OH

#39 Feb 14, 2012
I'm on the TN side of this rescue - not sure why it is showing up that I'm in Ohio because I'm not. Anyway, what happened to your puppy was rare, and sad. I believe you did receive your refund. If not, you should have. Email Kristin or I (Daniellehardee1@gmail.com) and we'll make sure you get it.

Molli offered to refund your fee and split half the cost of treating the parvo with you. You chose to euthanize the puppy, which was your choice, but at the same time we have successfully treated parvo, and if you were already that attached to the puppy you maybe should have made that choice instead, or immediately returned the pup to us so we could have properly treated at our vet. I just want to get all the facts out there since you've taken to bashing us on a public forum.

Additionally, your vet has NO CLUE about us and from what we gathered from you, he really had NO CLUE about parvo - if your vet was at all an experienced vet he would not have discharged this sick puppy to you or advised you to feed him when he was so sick. He should have kept him at the clinic and his lack of correct procedure probably killed the puppy, because if you call around and ask other vets, puppies with 2 vaccines almost always survive with fluids and antinausea/antidiarrheal medication (i.e., proper treatment). The transport does feed the pups and each pup has their own water pail. I've observed many transports and it is the cleanest and best on the road. If your vet has ever seen parvo he would know that a puppy will go from looking healthy to skinny in literally HOURS. If you ever adopt a puppy in the future (from another rescue group, obviously) I would urge you to find a different vet.

Moreover, there is no 2 day CT quarantine - there is a requirement that a dog be vet checked within 2 days of arrival, which your pup was. Unfortunately, parvo can often strike very suddenly, and in this case it did. Our volunteers at the adoption center did not see any abnormal poop or we would have never released the pup to you. We take illness very seriously. Why would we bother rescuing all these dogs and trying to save as many as possible otherwise? How could we keep our doors open for 7 years if we didn't care about the dogs and our adopters? Unfortunately, this was a very sad and rare situation and in rescue, it's just going to occur in spite of our best efforts. We quarantine the dogs for at least 2 weeks on the TN side, and do not let them travel without a minimum of 2 vaccinations, for their safety. Because of our care, what happened to you was not in any way the normal experience. But these are animals and there will always be some risk involved because of the terrible situations they come from. We NEVER guarantee an adopter that they will receive a healthy puppy - because we can't - puppies are fragile and have fragile immune systems. We can guarantee we will do our best.
DeBlois wrote:
"Grow up and do your research before you go around talking trash about people who devote their time, money, and effort to making a difference in this world. Thousands of dogs have been rescued/adopted out through them and on this site you see FIVE PEOPLE COMPLAINING. "
We did A LOT of research and read their contract VERY carefully before adopting. It is not the adopters fault that the rescue does not follow through with what they have promised. We could have brought our DYING dog back to them within the two weeks (two days, really) and asked for our money back, but we had too much respect for the dog to do that. Instead of criticizing people for their painful experiences with rescue adoption, try sharing your own personal experiences. If you had a good experience with adoption, I encourage you to share it. Unfortunately my experience was a terrible one. All I did was share the facts about what happened to us. People are free to make their own decisions, but they deserve to know that this happened once and could easily happen again.
Resident

Canton, TX

#40 Feb 14, 2012
Danielle wrote:
<quoted text>HAHAHA - we, the unpaid volunteers and handful of overworked, minimally paid staff are "making a killing" off of rescuing dogs? That statement is so sad and ignorant. The adoption fee includes all the food, vetting (vaccinations, spay/neuter, worming, even microchipping), transport, and we have a kennel manager. The adoption fees make our rescue group self-sustaining because with all the time spent actually rescuing, we have little time to fundraise/grant write. I spend about 40+ hours a week, after my full time job and taking care of my kids and husband, running to vets offices, pulling from high kill shelters, rescuing strays, screening applicants - UNPAID. Any leftover $ from adoption fees is used to assist people who need help spaying and neutering their pets - most people in the south have an iphone but won't pay $250 to spay their dog - people have messed up priorities but rather than get bogged down in that, we do what we can to spay/neuter as many as possible. We hope one day we won't be needed! But I cannot in good conscience see all these highly adoptable dogs die so I volunteer. Yes, because we save over 200 pups per month, and these are live animals from horrible backgrounds/situations, there will be issues from time to time but we always address them with the adopter, and our contract is very clear on the front end about what we cover. Our facebook page tells the real story of who we are: www.facebook.com/companionpetrescue . I can see from all these various comments that Topix is a weird place where people come to be snarky. If you'd like to meet me and let me give you a tour of a day in the life of a volunteer with CPR, email me at daniellehardee1@gmail.com and I will definitely put you to work! What we do is clearly thankless, but we get out thanks from the puppies who would be in the landfills without us. Have you ever been to a small West TN kill shelter? Most are on landfills for a very specific reason. I will happily give you a tour, and then give you a tour of my small house and my saturn I drive so you can see what a "killing" I am making. The only killing going on is the people in the south who would rather kill adoptable animals than mandate spay/neuter and restrict breeding and mills.
Thank you for all that you do. I would love to help in West Tennessee and will contact you !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Pankey for Dyersburg Mayor 8 min pankey posse 153
Dyersubrg City Mayor Poll 21 min VoteNo 310
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 35 min Karensfriend 97,562
James Baltimore running for City Mayor???? 36 min Yuuuup 54
Audrey Butler 48 min you know 1
LongHorn Steak house in Dyersburg ! 59 min Guest 30
deLeted ThreAds 1 hr forgotten memories 24
its not about a duck, dog, or a child 2 hr bumblebee 34
Plamer law firm 18 hr FUNNY 5
Dyersburg Dating