Dyersburg High School or Dyersburg Co...

Dyersburg High School or Dyersburg County High School

Posted in the Dyersburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Erin, TN

#1 Mar 1, 2012
Hi guys, im really considering switching schools after school ends in late may. im going to be a sophomore next year & not really sure which school would be best. What do you think??
SOS

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Mar 2, 2012
where are you going now? I would probably alone with my parents visit both schools, see what they offer academically. i think both are very similar and talk with some people from both sides that you trust will give you sound advice. Later, sit down discuss your options, likes and dislikes with your parents pray over it and you make the call. This is not the place to come to make life changing decisions, everyone here has an opinion and most of them are in their own personal best interest. Hope this helps....
e dyersburg

Dyersburg, TN

#3 Mar 2, 2012
you ddidnt say why changing schools?
StOrMy WiEnEr

Sioux City, IA

#4 Mar 2, 2012
Dchs. Less drama. No strict dress code. Block schedule. Better people overall.
DHS

Memphis, TN

#5 Mar 2, 2012
guest wrote:
Hi guys, im really considering switching schools after school ends in late may. im going to be a sophomore next year & not really sure which school would be best. What do you think??
Best education is at DHS!

Newbern, TN

#6 Mar 2, 2012
Best Test scores are at DCHS.

Birmingham, AL

#7 May 27, 2012
If you want a diploma, go to DCHS.
If you want an education, go to DHS.

Saint Louis, MO

#8 May 27, 2012
If you want to know where the better education is, check out last weeks paper. Superior education is at DCHS. There is no comparison.
e dyersburg

Dyersburg, TN

#9 May 28, 2012
was going to say same thing, look in last week paper and see for yourself the rankings for each school

Sioux City, IA

#10 May 28, 2012
DCHS has 7 seniors with an ACT above 28.
DHS has 24 seniors with an ACT above 28.

DCHS includes scores of students who have taken dual credit in their EOC scores

DHS does NOT include scores of students who have taken AP and dual credit in their EOC scores.

No wonder DCHS reports higher EOC scores. Numbers game.
teacher

Halls, TN

#11 May 28, 2012
guest wrote:
DCHS has 7 seniors with an ACT above 28.
DHS has 24 seniors with an ACT above 28.

DCHS includes scores of students who have taken dual credit in their EOC scores

DHS does NOT include scores of students who have taken AP and dual credit in their EOC scores.

No wonder DCHS reports higher EOC scores. Numbers game.
EOC - End of course is a test. You can not include anything else in the score. It can not have dual enrollment scores added to it. It is a score given by the state that represents how well a student scored on the test. The ACT scores speak volumes.

Martin, TN

#12 May 29, 2012
teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
EOC - End of course is a test. You can not include anything else in the score. It can not have dual enrollment scores added to it. It is a score given by the state that represents how well a student scored on the test. The ACT scores speak volumes.
I'm not sure what that means. Not trying to be a smartass, but can you explain that a little?
teacher

Halls, TN

#13 May 29, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure what that means. Not trying to be a smartass, but can you explain that a little?
EOC are given in certain subjects such as Biology, English, Chemistry, US History etc. A few courses might have gateway exams but still a state EOC This test is given throughout the state and each school is required to give the test. Some courses are available as dual enrollment such as US History. This means they actually take the course through a college such as Dyersburg State and receive credit for both high school and college, thus the name dual credit. Regardless of where the actually took the course they are still required to take the EOC exam for that subject. The results of these test seems to be the issue here. In my opinion the students taking the dual credit course should out-score the regular students since college courses are usually more difficult and only the top students take the dual enrollment courses in the first place. I don't teach in Dyer Co. but I know all high schools are encouraged to offer dual enrollment courses. It might be that DCHS just doesn't offer as many dual credit options as DHS but I don't think figuring in the EOC test scores is optional. In the school where I teach regular History as well as dual enrollment all take the same EOC exam. All the pressure these days is on ACT scores so I would sure look at these scores if choosing a high school.
student

Sioux City, IA

#14 May 30, 2012
Dyer county is alot easier then DHS. If you go too DHS plan to work yourbut off. Not worth it. Some class make you read in the summer
This is DHS

Sioux City, IA

#15 May 31, 2012
Look at this article for an overview of DHS: the dollars, the honors, the West Point Cadets, the National Merit Finalist, the ACT 30+ Club with 25 members...if this is what you are looking for, DHS is your school.
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1854632.htm...
Steve

Boise, ID

#16 Jun 1, 2012
This is DHS wrote:
Look at this article for an overview of DHS: the dollars, the honors, the West Point Cadets, the National Merit Finalist, the ACT 30+ Club with 25 members...if this is what you are looking for, DHS is your school.
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1854632.htm...
Agree. You can also look at todays paper(6/1)and see that DHS ranks #8 in the state in ACT scores and #1 in West TN in ACT and college readiness. It shows 24 % of Dyersburg students ready for college compared to 17 % for DCHS. These were released by the State of TN. Like mentioned earlier, the numbers in the paper last week released by " Dyer County Schools" do not tell the true story. I think we are lucky to have 2 good high schools in our county but it is a fact that Dyersburg is better academically.
Keeper

Humboldt, TN

#17 Jun 1, 2012
I actually go to DCHS, and I would recommend it to anyone. Seriously, the teachers there are awesome at what they do, and we learn a lot.

As for drama, there is the same amount as any other school.

Honestly, DCHS has more idiots and country hicks, but DHS has more rich preppy snobs. I would know, as I went to Dyersbirg City Schools until after fifth grade.

If you are looking for a school, go to DCHS. You won't regret it.
Education

Sioux City, IA

#18 Jun 2, 2012
Look at Fridays state gazette.

DHS ranks #1 in west tenn and # 8'in tenn in getting their kids ready for college.

If you want a diploma, then go to dchs. If you want to go to college, then go to DYERSBURG HIGH.

Chicago, IL

#19 Jun 2, 2012
Of course they have a .2 points ACT score over DC. The big difference is Dyer County makes ALL students regardless of age, sex, and race take the ACT test whereas Dyersburg picks and chooses which students they allow to take the ACT. You think they make all their African American population take the ACT at Dyersburg?!? Lol! They don't. They don't because they know that test score will drop tremendously. FACTS!!! Again it's not even a comparison. Really it's sad that Dyersburgs best is only .2 better than ALL at DC!
Anon

Sioux City, IA

#20 Jun 2, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 57 min Alex Nicole 4,999
“sheeple,” described 78% of you red state voters 1 hr trump isboss 15
Andrew Jackson the watermelon man 1 hr respect 2
0.7% Growth In First Quarter – Slowest Growth I... 4 hr Amazed 5
McDonald's out of Walmart 5 hr Martha Faye 24
Why is it so hard for a man to just stay FAITHFUL? (Jun '12) 7 hr Mee 193
looking this morning 7 hr Guest 4
Carlee Myers on mobile patrol 10 hr Karma 12
Who hung them self last night? 23 hr Izzy-_- 25

Dyersburg Jobs