More Dyersburg Businesses Closing
facts jacks

Dyersburg, TN

#21 Oct 23, 2013
not fine wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine so here it is. If Dyersburg was doing so well, how come everyone goes OUT OF TOWN for shopping, eating and medical services? They have to put slogans on garbage trucks to "shop dyersburg." Where? This town has lost more and continues to lose more businesses but other surrounding counties have more to offer. Our downtown is nothing but mostly boarded up buildings with brand new sidewalks. For all the talk about "growth" I haven't seen it nor has all the other unemployed people who cannot find work here. For the ones who are employed, as I said, most I know of (and that's a lot) go out of town for just about everything because not only do you find better selection but also much better quality and service.
Dyersburg is better than living in Union City, Ripley, Brownsville, Milan, Trenton, Martin, Paris, Lexington, Blytheville, Covington, Brighton, Munford, Somerville, Savannah,. Other than Jackson or Shelby County, can you name one city in west Tennessee that offers more than Dyersburg, or is doing better than Dyersburg? Please state facts? I bet you can't.

As far as shopping, everyone in west Tennessee goes out of their town to shop either in Jackson or Shelby county, just like Jackson. Dyersburg is not a metropolis like Jackson or shelpby county, nor will it be in your life time.

But, Dyersburg/Dyer County offers far more than any other community, outside of Jackson and Shelby county that the other communities, and has been able to sustain positive growth during hard economic times.

That is the facts.

Like I said, name one community, in west Tennessee, not counting Jackson or Shelby County, that offers ALL OF THIS TOGETHER - more restaurant choices, more shopping choices, has higher rated schools, has maintained positive growth in the last 3 census?

ZERO, ZERO, ZERO. THOSE ARE THE FACTS.
Lived here five years

Laconia, TN

#22 Oct 23, 2013
I'm still shell shocked from moving from Memphis area to here. It is a big difference. Needless to say, I'm moving back there, or towards Nashville. There really isn't anything here if you've lived where you have everything at your finger tips and variety at every corner.
Fun Times

Mount Juliet, TN

#23 Oct 23, 2013
You people sayihg Dyersburg is dying are Idiots! You just want something to bitch about! If you don't have a job....go get one! NSK is hiring, Little Ceasars is hiring, McDonalds is hiring, DOT is starting recruiting, Sun Products is hiring....do you need somemore help????? You people are dumba$$e$ and wouldn't know financial improvement if it kicked you in the nutts
guest

Medon, TN

#24 Oct 23, 2013
Then move, We don't need your negativity.. Dyersburg is moving forward and will continue too. The mall finally sold to a motivated company and is beginning a several hundred thousand renovation, NSK is going strong, Dot Foods is about to start construction and other factories are looking at Dyersburg. I don't care what ppl say, We dont want to be like Jackson. Cant even go to the mall without being mugged. gangs are running the town and the crime rate is at a historical high.. Dyersburg is a nice place to live and will continue to grow..

Since: May 13

San Jose, CA

#25 Oct 23, 2013
I wonder when Long Johns will fold like captain D's
Elm street

Dyersburg, TN

#26 Oct 23, 2013
guest wrote:
Then move, We don't need your negativity.. Dyersburg is moving forward and will continue too. The mall finally sold to a motivated company and is beginning a several hundred thousand renovation, NSK is going strong, Dot Foods is about to start construction and other factories are looking at Dyersburg. I don't care what ppl say, We dont want to be like Jackson. Cant even go to the mall without being mugged. gangs are running the town and the crime rate is at a historical high.. Dyersburg is a nice place to live and will continue to grow..
I agree 100%. Dyersburg is not dying. It is just some people with serious mental issues that need help, or need help moving because we sure don't want them here. Dyersburg is the best place to live in West Tennessee. We have some of the best schools, local industries are hiring, more jobs are coming.

If you can't see the good things, that is because of your jack legged negative attitude. NSK and SUN are hiring, and DOT is about to start recruiting. If you don't like the pay, then maybe you need to move, or maybe you ain't worth what you think you are. If you can't get a job, then it ain't because there are none, it is because nobody wants to hire YOU, so move.

“Old Dinner Bell”

Since: Mar 13

" Home Sweet Home "

#27 Oct 23, 2013
Dyersburg is one of the cities that we enjoy visiting. But like Blytheville, the sales tax keeps us from shopping there as much as we'd like. With cities in Missouri at a tax rate 2% lower, it makes their stores and restaurants more inviting.
(The casinos help too!)
well

Dyersburg, TN

#29 Oct 24, 2013
how long will Wendy's last? Don't seem like they have much traffic.
Guest

Collierville, TN

#30 Oct 24, 2013
Old man- Bville wrote:
Dyersburg is one of the cities that we enjoy visiting. But like Blytheville, the sales tax keeps us from shopping there as much as we'd like. With cities in Missouri at a tax rate 2% lower, it makes their stores and restaurants more inviting.
(The casinos help too!)
Really??? You'll spend countless gallons of gas (at $3.15/gallon) to drive all over the tri-state area to save 2% on sales tax and then go blow a bunch of money at a casino? If you haven't done the math lately at 2% tax rate that's only $2 per $100 spent. That is completely nonsensical. Granted, if you're going for the fun, then it's cost/reward, but don't make the argument that 2% kept you from shopping in Dyersburg. If that's the case, your argument holds about as much water as your billfold/purse holds money.
eyeknow

Newbern, TN

#31 Oct 24, 2013
1. Cracker Barrel is the biggest thing...really? Did you forget that there was an announcment made about a new company coming to Dyersburg.......DOT FOODS!

2. Shop Dyersburg..........it's a common occurance in every community. For the day to day items, people buy local, but for speciality items...they take it out of town. It happens in every town. Get over it.

3. Medical care........why don't you ask DRMC why they tend to transfer every patient to Jackson? I think you would be surprised at how many transfers there are in a one month period.

4. Downtown........nothing but boarded up buildings? Your comment is downright insulting! Tell General Appliance, Tempe's, First Citizens, Security Bank, law firms, City Hall Antiques, Galleria, Joe's Deli, and MANY MORE that there is nothing downtown. I hope they knock your lights out. What do you think should be downtown? You're not going to get a big box company...they will stay close to Walmart because it is the anchor business for any community.

5. Unemployed........do you think Dyersburg is the only community in the United State that is suffering from lack of jobs? Take your ass to Detroit and see how bad things are there.

6. If you don't like it.......the road leads out the same way it comes in.
guest

Henderson, TN

#32 Oct 24, 2013
Fun Times wrote:
You people sayihg Dyersburg is dying are Idiots! You just want something to bitch about! If you don't have a job....go get one! NSK is hiring, Little Ceasars is hiring, McDonalds is hiring, DOT is starting recruiting, Sun Products is hiring....do you need somemore help????? You people are dumba$$e$ and wouldn't know financial improvement if it kicked you in the nutts
You consider financial improvement working for barely more than minimum wage not to mention trying to raise a family on it? Judging from your logic, manners and spelling, you must be a graduate of Dyersburg's highest rated schools. Your response shows you know very little without being kicked but if you ever are, let's hope you seek medical treatment from Dyersburg's highest rated hospital, as well.
Kelly

United States

#33 Oct 26, 2013
Dusty Joe's is closing at the end of the month!
omg

Anonymous Proxy

#34 Oct 26, 2013
sara lain decorating is closing too ...i seen signs on door

“Old Dinner Bell”

Since: Mar 13

" Home Sweet Home "

#35 Oct 26, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??? You'll spend countless gallons of gas (at $3.15/gallon) to drive all over the tri-state area to save 2% on sales tax and then go blow a bunch of money at a casino? If you haven't done the math lately at 2% tax rate that's only $2 per $100 spent. That is completely nonsensical. Granted, if you're going for the fun, then it's cost/reward, but don't make the argument that 2% kept you from shopping in Dyersburg. If that's the case, your argument holds about as much water as your billfold/purse holds money.
With a name like "Guest", I don't expect you to have much imagination.
We plan on traveling the area whether we spend money shopping or not. As for the gas, thanks tax payers for keeping my tank full.
I'm not the only one who keeps track of the sales tax rates. It's the principle and the thought of the arrogant city officals getting all they can.
just saying

Sioux City, IA

#36 Oct 26, 2013
The hotel and perkins is going to be a CVS pharmacy.
Guest

Sioux City, IA

#37 Oct 27, 2013
I think that Dyersburg's motto should be changed from "The Gateway to Everywhere" to "The Gateway to Drug Abuse". How many drugstores does a town of 20,000 people need? They are building a new drugstore on Mall Blvd. as well where Lifeway Christian Store used to be. I heard that Perkin's was going to build a free standing unit near Cracker Barrel. Not sure how true that rumor is, though.
Down But Not Out

Sioux City, IA

#38 Oct 27, 2013
Elm street wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%. Dyersburg is not dying. It is just some people with serious mental issues that need help, or need help moving because we sure don't want them here. Dyersburg is the best place to live in West Tennessee. We have some of the best schools, local industries are hiring, more jobs are coming.
If you can't see the good things, that is because of your jack legged negative attitude. NSK and SUN are hiring, and DOT is about to start recruiting. If you don't like the pay, then maybe you need to move, or maybe you ain't worth what you think you are. If you can't get a job, then it ain't because there are none, it is because nobody wants to hire YOU, so move.
Talk about issues ? Elm you obviously have your share. I have been trying to find work for months now & I definitely didn't appreciate your crude comments. They certainly were not encouraging to some one in my position. But for the grace of God you just might find yourself in a similiar situation.
guest

Sioux City, IA

#39 Oct 27, 2013
Solo wrote:
I care that's who. Been out of work for alomost 6 months & can't seem to make anything happen. Opportunity sure moves slow around here these days. This hasn't always been the case for me either.
you can find a job! go to the unemployment office or go to indeed.com
Down But Not Out

Sioux City, IA

#40 Oct 27, 2013
Gee how can I ever thank you for this wealth of information. Been to both countless times already. If only I could be the genius you apparently think you are. Ta Ta
ok

Union City, TN

#41 Oct 27, 2013
I moved from Dyersburg to Martin a year ago and am so much happier here. Less crime and way less drama. I first moved to Dyersburg in 1981 and it has gone downhill since about 2000 or so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DCHS Principal 3 min Tennman99 9
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 4 min Alyssa76 11,028
Sara conway 10 min watchin 2
pepper_126 (Mar '13) 28 min Izzy-_- 8,682
New Dollar General in Finley 44 min Oops 12
B & B market in Finley/Big Boy Junction (Jan '09) 47 min Whistle Britches 237
The Bat-Signal 1 hr guest 2
Fight at Abe's 17 hr Guest 20
Hometown Urgent Care 23 hr Angela 28

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dyersburg Mortgages