How can you help an addict?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
God bless you

Newbern, TN

#41 Jun 12, 2009
There used to be a rehab center in Union City! Dont call Lakeside they would not help us unless we had 8,000 a day to get my brother treatment. That went all over me. Bring it to your brothers attention and sit down and talk to him!
true wrote:
I would love to know the answer to the question, as my brother is addicted to pills. It breaks my heart but I feel as if there is nothing I can do for him besides love him and pray about it. Does anyone know of any drug counselors in this area?

Dyersburg, TN

#42 Jun 12, 2009
the other posts are right, possibly the best thing you can do is find an Al-Anon meeting. Most people don't understand why that's important, after all WE aren't the ones with the problem, the addict is, so why do we need help?!

In Al-Anon, you'll find a group of people that are going thru the same thing you are, each person has a relative or a friend that suffers from addiction. Addiction is known as a family disease because it affects everyone in the family, so the best way to help someone else is to help yourself first.

It's free, lasts an hour, and is confidential. You really don't have anything to lose by trying it.

#43 Jun 12, 2009
Neeing advice wrote:
I need some advice on how to help someone with a drug addiction. Someone very close to me has been an addict for almost 11 yrs and been to rehab several times. He was just into pills but i think he may be doin somethin harder now cuz he is starting to steal from his family. Does anyone know anything about interventions? Any suggestions would be appreciated:)
I'm a recovering addict myself and been in recovery for 12 years. you can't get sober for him he has to want it. It's real hard to let his disease run it's course and I understand how you feel. there is Al-Anon for friends and family to help you to learn to deal with it.If your interested to know where those meetings are I will tell you. Good Luck. Also when he is ready I can tell you of some places that can help him.

United States

#44 Jun 16, 2009
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
That..blessings to you!
the worst thing you can do is bail out a person who has gotten themselves into this situation. i know it is hard to watch someone go down this path but this is their path to go down and no one can save them except for themselves. tough love is a good way to go about this. they need to feel the effects of their behavior in order to learn from them. if you played with fire and never got burned you would continue to play with fire. i once did so much cocaine that i thought i would have a heart attack. that still didnt stop me. the only thing that stopped me was facing jail time. im sorry but i cant live in jail! lol not for me. i came clean with a confession to all those who had caught the backlash of my behavior. thats the first thing you have to do. u have to let the people who are close to you know what you are going thru because this effort with go unaccomplished otherwise. there WILL come a time when you feel like using again and you have to have those reinforcements to help you thru those trials and temptations! you have to be up front and honest with them about which behaviors you have when you are on the drug or are about to fall off the wagon. in my situation, the people in my life had never lived with a cocaine addict and they were blind-sighted when i came clean. my advice to the people who want to get off drugs is to suck it up! you didnt become an addict overnight and it wont go away overnight! it will be a long hard road but it is worth the work to become someone people can trust and love and respect. another thing is dont blame anyone for what happened. its not always your choice what happens to you, but it is your choice as to how you deal with it. i was molested when i was 4 years old and it continued until after i was 6. i could blame it on that and it may be an underlying reason for some of the things i have done, but it is my fault that i buckled and turned to drugs. get away from your "friends" that do drugs! you can love those people but you have to love them from a distance! once you become clean and stay that way for any amount of time, you will be shocked as to how many of those "friends" wont have time for you anymore. consider it a compliment! it means you are shaking off the people who have helped to hold you back. its a dead end road. i now am happier than i have ever been and married to a wonderful person. i look at the sheer amount of money that has gone in my nose and it sickens me now.
for the people who need advice as to how to deal with an addict...dont pity them. if they have sold everything they have to buy drugs, dont buy them new things. they will end up in a drug house or a pawn shop. most addicts dont look at you the same way they did before they were addicts. they arent themselves anymore. their minds and thoughts and behaviors and actions are only a voice of their chosen poison. they look at you now and wonder what you have that they need in order to get their next fix. I PROMISE YOU THIS IS TRUE! i know this is hard to hear for you parents and grandparents. but its true. if they go to jail, then thats where they need to be. i dont care where you come from or what house you grew up in or what class you think you belong to. there are only actions and consequences. the addict needs to face the consequence for that behavior. most of the time the people who continue to bail out their loved one are those who are afraid of what being in jail will do to their precious daughters reputation. in small towns people are concerned with "what they look like" to their neighbors or family or church group. well, this situation is bigger than that. if you want to truely help your loved one you have to turn off your pride and quit trying to cover up what is not going away.

Fulton, MS

#45 Feb 14, 2013
100% of your "effort" is wasted spending your entire day, every day looking for pain pills, weeed and zanax,

Union City, TN

#46 Feb 16, 2013
give him a cussin now while you doint mean it because this time next year you will give him one and mean it!!!! its all up to him to fly straight all you will do is make it easy for him to wander down this same path. those who are on drugs of any kind are better actors than you can john wayne or i luv lucy, but you will see before you quit him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Love is.... (May '15) 9 min star 321
Open on Thanksgiving 21 min Wondering 3
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 48 min guest 104,407
Karen swift 1 hr guest 6
Caterpillar 1 hr cat employee 2
Bounce With Us (Mar '15) 4 hr Guest 13
Aldon gourley 5 hr Dixie boy 5
Pink Poodles (Nov '11) Wed john 73