My opnion

Erin, TN

#1 Mar 28, 2013
Anyone seen or have any Purple Martins yet ? Ours are usually here by the middle of March. None yet.

“Old Dinner Bell”

Since: Mar 13

" Home Sweet Home "

#2 Mar 28, 2013
I haven't seen any purple martins yet, but I did see a snipe this morning, the first this year. Trees are blooming, so it want be long until the bugs come out. Martins will show along with the bugs.
UH -OH

Dyersburg, TN

#3 Mar 28, 2013
SEEN ONE THE OTHER DAY SCOPING OUT MY MARTIN HOUSE
Dyer County Mom

United States

#4 Mar 28, 2013
I saw two this morning in my back yard. First I have seen this year. Should start seeing more.

Jackson, TN

#5 Mar 28, 2013
I've had 4 for 3 wks. now.They are building their nests.But I'm watching for more.

Dyersburg, TN

#6 Mar 30, 2013
I have not had martins for two or three years. A very few come, but do not stay.I have good houses, open fields, and an available pond. We do have problems with sparrows and starlings, but try to keep them run off. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dyersburg, TN

#7 Mar 30, 2013
i seen my neighbor naked. does that count?
My opinion

Erin, TN

#8 Mar 30, 2013
Several years ago we were infested with Starlings, one day we heard alot of "screaming and commotion" outside. In the short time it tooks us to get outside, the Starlings had devastated all the nests, even killing several female Martins. It was several years before we had any Martins again. The Starlings wiped out our entire "family" of Martins. Don't know if this is your problem or not but it definitely taught me not to put the houses back on their poles until we see the Martin "scouts" checking everything out. Just don't let the sparrows or starlings get a head start on the Martins. Good luck and hope you see more Martins soon.

“Old Dinner Bell”

Since: Mar 13

" Home Sweet Home "

#9 Mar 30, 2013
@ opinion : I agree. Martins and barn swallow prefer to nest in the area where they were hatched. Barn swallows nested in my carport one year (and crap all over my car), now I have one heck of a time keeping them out.

Dyersburg, TN

#10 Mar 30, 2013
well shit. i would rather see my neighbor naked with a jay bird pecking at his ass, whill his woody wood pecker was home.
sunshine

Estero, FL

#11 Mar 30, 2013
Purple Martins in Tennessee are very difficult to attract. House not close to buildings or trees and a clear flight to house in at least two directions. House must be near water for building nest and no competition from other birds especially starlings. I always tore the other bird nests out by hand before they hatched eggs. I could not stand to kill them. I did have martins and know that they always come back to the same place every year, they mate for life, all hatchlings come back to the same place. That is why you should never take down your house the scouts look for it each year.

Dyersburg, TN

#12 Mar 30, 2013
guest wrote:
well shit. i would rather see my neighbor naked with a jay bird pecking at his ass, whill his woody wood pecker was home.
Topix really needs an icon to judge a remark JUST PLAIN IGNORANT

Dyersburg, TN

#13 Mar 31, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix really needs an icon to judge a remark JUST PLAIN IGNORANT
yep, your reply was JUST PLAIN IGNORANT.
Guest 1

Dyersburg, TN

#14 Apr 1, 2013
I have Martins

Dyersburg, TN

#15 Apr 1, 2013
i seen some martians from mars. they were green.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillshire Tyson SECURITY 32 min tploy 6
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 44 min Queue 100,849
Love 1 hr Tiki 67
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 8,884
Stock market views. Mike young 2 hr Michael Young 2
prostitution in dyersburg (Sep '11) 3 hr Michael Young 60
Need a woman for NSA (I will be your sugar daddy) 3 hr Michael Young 2
cops swarm wal mart 3 hr Michael Young 5
Open Letter to Tony Agresta @ Alvino's 7 hr USE TO BE A CUSTOMER 23

Flood Warning for Dyer County was issued at March 03 at 9:21PM CST