Evolution ( fairytale for adults)
Capt Obvious

Versailles, IN

#110 Jan 24, 2013
The Box, you make a very good point!

If an old man in the sky wrote a book that was perfect, why do so many people disagree on what it means? Wouldn't it be a perfect document and no one would be able to contradict it? The Bible on the other hand, you can contradict till the sun goes down.

This other guy obviously knows nothing about the Bible. If he did, he would be forced to admit the Bible has several authors spaced out over a large period of time. Which makes more sense if you have read the Bible. You can tell it is written by different people by the different styles all through it. Not to mention the 2 different versions of the Creation that are side by side in Genesis.

As a recovering Christian, it makes me sad to see people lose their faith. Jesus said to believe and be saved. He never said to know to be saved. Simply because it is impossible to know. To have knowledge means you can test it time and time again and come up with the same conclusion. Books are not self fulfilling. If they are, then all religions are the right one, once again a contradictory statement.

That's why I left the church. Too many people say they know and they no longer believe.
skipper

Ripley, TN

#111 Jan 24, 2013
The people who always say there are "contradictions" in the Bible are the ones who know little to nothing about it. They're merely looking at a couple of different verses and taking them out of context. That's not hard to do, since the Bible was written by many different men and over thousands of years. But any serious student of the Bible can point out how the contradictions are not so. Usually the "contradiction" excuse is given just to avoid seriously examining the actual book.

As to the "The Box" asking why would the Bible be so "dull" or "uninteresting", I say so what? Besides, I would disagree about it being "boring". It is God's message to us. I have read it many times and can find new and fresh things in it each time. But if you go into it just looking for reasons to dismiss it, then you'll find it. To learn anything you have to apply yourself.

Science and lots of other classes were boring and uninteresting in school/college but we were required to take them? Your point means zero! Nothing!

The Box asks why followers disagree on certain things? Come on, are you serious? Scholars of Shakespeare differ on some things he was getting at. Scientists differ on lots of things, just as we are recommended to get second (and third) opinions from doctors. Again, your point is silly.

Why are some things repeated? That's easy. Most of the writers that wrote about the same things (like the different Gosplels, Kings & Chronicles, etc.) usually included events that were left out of the other accounts. Just as every history book (or biographies) will cast light on different accounts or events.

And finally, why does the Bible list the bad things that went on? Simple. God wanted to reveal to us all just how sinful and fallen we are. No one would believe it if things were sugar coated or glossed over. Just as many times we learn about bad things some of our early heros did, or even our relatives. We want to believe the best about people.

But the Bible shows us in all of our sinfulness and fallen nature. Just b/c there are murders, wars and rapes in the Bible doesn't mean God condones or approves of these things. Not anymore than the historian who writes about past events like wars or atrocities. It is to reveal the truth as it is.

Why not try reading it with an open mind and heart & quit trying to finds reasons to discount it?
What is going on

United States

#112 Jan 24, 2013
I have read many parts of the Bible... there is no God, Heaven or Hell... it's all symbolic.

Hellbilly 1

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#113 Jan 24, 2013
How many Devout followers do you know that eat pork.

Leviticus 11:7

7And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

8Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14:8

8And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase

Dallas, TX

#114 Jan 24, 2013
skipper wrote:
The people who always say there are "contradictions" in the Bible are the ones who know little to nothing about it. They're merely looking at a couple of different verses and taking them out of context. That's not hard to do, since the Bible was written by many different men and over thousands of years. But any serious student of the Bible can point out how the contradictions are not so. Usually the "contradiction" excuse is given just to avoid seriously examining the actual book.
As to the "The Box" asking why would the Bible be so "dull" or "uninteresting", I say so what? Besides, I would disagree about it being "boring". It is God's message to us. I have read it many times and can find new and fresh things in it each time. But if you go into it just looking for reasons to dismiss it, then you'll find it. To learn anything you have to apply yourself.
Science and lots of other classes were boring and uninteresting in school/college but we were required to take them? Your point means zero! Nothing!
The Box asks why followers disagree on certain things? Come on, are you serious? Scholars of Shakespeare differ on some things he was getting at. Scientists differ on lots of things, just as we are recommended to get second (and third) opinions from doctors. Again, your point is silly.
Why are some things repeated? That's easy. Most of the writers that wrote about the same things (like the different Gosplels, Kings & Chronicles, etc.) usually included events that were left out of the other accounts. Just as every history book (or biographies) will cast light on different accounts or events.
And finally, why does the Bible list the bad things that went on? Simple. God wanted to reveal to us all just how sinful and fallen we are. No one would believe it if things were sugar coated or glossed over. Just as many times we learn about bad things some of our early heros did, or even our relatives. We want to believe the best about people.
But the Bible shows us in all of our sinfulness and fallen nature. Just b/c there are murders, wars and rapes in the Bible doesn't mean God condones or approves of these things. Not anymore than the historian who writes about past events like wars or atrocities. It is to reveal the truth as it is.
Why not try reading it with an open mind and heart & quit trying to finds reasons to discount it?
Over 460 contradictions; that's slightly more than "a couple".

I agree that everyone should read the bible. That's the quickest way to convince people to become atheists, at least with regard to the christian god.

Dallas, TX

#117 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
Written in an uninteresting manner?
As in the Gospels-Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John which tell of the miraculous birth, the glorious ministry and the horrific death of a man that had NO SIN in him whatsoever. He never had to clear His throat and apololize or say "Excuse me". BTW, All 4 of these Books also tell of His Resurrection out of the grave AFTER DEATH. Something that man has wanted to achieve for Centuries.
We know that Christianity is true because the Gospel writers, inspired by God who can make no error, recorded the founding events. For example, on the first Easter morning, the visitors to the tomb were greeted by which of the following:

1. A young man (Mark 16:5)

2. No, no, it was no man, it was an angel (Matthew 28:2-5)

3. Both wrong, it was two men (Luke 24:4)

4. Damn it, there was nobody there (John 20:1-2)

Dallas, TX

#118 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
There are times when we SHOULD answer a Christ rejecting, Bible hating FOOL, and there are times when we should not. Many of the so-called "contradictions" in the Bible are just people's inability to read 6th Grade English.
Or, more likely, they're the result of clear contradictions. For instance:

That thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the Lord thy God giveth thee "FOR EVER".- Deuteronomy 4:40

The earth and the heavens are the work of thy hands. "THEY SHALL PERISH".- Psalm 102:25-26

Your feeble attempt at covering the obvious flaws in this old magic book are simply pathetic. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#119 Jan 25, 2013
skipper wrote:
The people who always say there are "contradictions" in the Bible are the ones who know little to nothing about it.
I wasn't referring to the "this passage-that passage" type of contradiction. The whole nature of god changes between the OT and NT.
skipper wrote:
As to the "The Box" asking why would the Bible be so "dull" or "uninteresting", I say so what?
Shouldn't a book written by god be written in a more compelling way? Do we really need pages of instructions on how long the curtains needs to be on the ark of the tabernacle?
skipper wrote:
No, my point is incredibly strong. We're not talking about Shakespeare, which is art. We're not talking about doctors, who can be wrong.

We're talking about something which (1) is supposed to be the most important document in the world and (2) is supposed to written by written by an omnipotent, all-knowing god. He is telling humanity the most important things and it's...not clear. Christians can't even agree on basic tenets such as salvation (solo fide? faith + works? predestination? everyone is saved?).

If the Bible was written by a deity, it should be unflinchingly clear about every issue.
skipper wrote:
Why are some things repeated? That's easy. Most of the writers that wrote about the same things (like the different Gosplels, Kings & Chronicles, etc.) usually included events that were left out of the other accounts.
Look at something like Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 goes over the creation of animals again, even though we just read that five seconds ago in Gen 1. It's bad writing.
skipper wrote:
And finally, why does the Bible list the bad things that went on? Simple. God wanted to reveal to us all just how sinful and fallen we are.
You misunderstood. I wasn't talking about bad things that went on that the Bible reported, I was talking about bad things that the Bible god does or commands: murdering the children of Egypt, commanding genocide, allowing slavery and rape, distributing brutal laws, etc.
skipper wrote:
But the Bible shows us in all of our sinfulness and fallen nature. Just b/c there are murders, wars and rapes in the Bible doesn't mean God condones or approves of these things.
The god of the OT quite clearly does approve of such things - he commands them. How many different groups does God command the Israelites to destroy?
skipper wrote:
I'd suggest that it is you who is not reading with an open mind.

Let's be honest: the idea that an omnipotent, omniscient god would choose a BOOK as the best method to relay the most important information in the universe, is plainly absurd.
`
What is going on

United States

#121 Jan 25, 2013
You can quote the Bible all day... but it's still just jibber-jabber... written by greedy people to control everyone else.
Bedford Taylor

Fulton, MS

#124 Jan 25, 2013
when all Nature is so hushed and silent, why is the sole unquiet thing the one natural thing most like the speaker's idling Spirit
123erfdsf

Marble Falls, TX

#125 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
That is, the Bible will use 2 different words or accounts to teach us something.
Because plain language that couldn't possibly be misinterpreted would be too difficult for the supposed creator of the universe?

LMAO,....You're too stupid to even be a respectable christian.

Location hidden

#126 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about a poor, lame excuse for rejecting God and His BOOK. Just like all of the rest of the so-called "contradictions" in the Bible, this "contradiction" is actually a TEACHING tool that God uses in the Bible. That is, the Bible will use 2 different words or accounts to teach us something.
You didn't address the contradiction at all.

One story has 2 men/angels.
Two stories have 1 man/angel.
One story has 0 men/angels.

Location hidden

#129 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
These "stories" are different accounts of what took place OR accounts of 2 different things. Even the sworn testimonies of 2 different people in a Court of Law in many cases DON'T match 100%.
Right, because human memory is not entirely reliable. But the Bible isn't supposed to simply be human testimonies - it's supposed to be divinely written (or inspired). So the discrepancies are a problem.
Living by faith wrote:
Quit trying to find excuses for your God rejecting wickedness.
Quit finding excuses to believe your error-ridden, absurdity-filled book.
Living by faith wrote:
If the Bible was just another religious book written by man (see the Quran, the book of Morons, or Darwin's Origen of Species) don't you think that man would have STRAIGHTENED OUT these "blunders" and "fallacies" by now?
No, why would they? Believers don't care about all the problems. Religious belief *isn't based on reason*.
Dyersburg

Union, MO

#131 Jan 25, 2013
Why are you people arguing with a complete idiot? Looks like you haven't completely evolved yet.

Arlington, TX

#132 Jan 25, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
You must really have a prejudice against the Lord Jesus Christ and His word.
If your goofy god had his shit together in the first place he wouldn't have needed four contradicting tales to cover his ass with.
Django Unemployed

Versailles, IN

#133 Jan 26, 2013
Hellbilly 1 wrote:
How many Devout followers do you know that eat pork.
Leviticus 11:7
7And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
8Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.
Deuteronomy 14:8
8And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase
Oh, but haven't you heard? All those old laws were thrown out when Jesus was born and became the last blood sacrifice. You don't have to follow all those rules made by the evil Jews in Leviticus anymore. Except for the one about being gay, you better follow that one!
Django Unemployed

Versailles, IN

#134 Jan 26, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, because human memory is not entirely reliable. But the Bible isn't supposed to simply be human testimonies - it's supposed to be divinely written (or inspired). So the discrepancies are a problem.
<quoted text>
Quit finding excuses to believe your error-ridden, absurdity-filled book.
<quoted text>
No, why would they? Believers don't care about all the problems. Religious belief *isn't based on reason*.
Thank you! It's already over. These are the hypocrites spoke of in the Bible. If you check this thread, you'll see this individual try to claim the Bible was written by God. On another they claim it was written by infallible humans influenced by God. Now the story has changed to humans who all make mistakes. Unreal, but yet we see it.

Killeen, TX

#136 Jan 26, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
Of course Man wrote the WORDS down. But God told them what to write. Hence, the Bible was INSPIRED by God.
"YOU" yourself have said the bible was written by god. Not just "inspired", but "written".

"YOU" make shit up to support whatever superstitious buffoonery suits your mood at that moment.

"YOU" are an admitted liar and con-man, and proved "YOU" will outright lie to further your superstitious assertions.

"YOU" are aFucking farce and a typical representative of your malicious religion.
dont forget

Versailles, IN

#139 Jan 26, 2013
God also "told":

The Son of Sam killer to kill a lot of people

Timothy McVeigh to blow up a rented truck in Oklahoma city

A bunch of terrorists to fly aircraft into buildings

So is it really God speaking to someone, or is that an excuse for mental illness?

Throughout history, anytime anyone ever says, "I've got God on my side, terrible things happen." Don't believe me? Check the books.

Killeen, TX

#140 Jan 26, 2013
Living by faith wrote:
Thank you for your kind words. Almost daily, Congress and the News Media speak of Senators and the House of Representatives who WRITE LAWS AND BILLS. Do you think that they always actually WRITE THESE THEMSELVES? Every time one is written? Many times people speak, while somebody else will WRITE it down. I tell you what, people are sure hard up to find fault with God and/or His word and people.
Luke 13:3 Jesus Christ speaking
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
You still haven't disproved one single tenet of evolution. Not one!

Can you even comment without obfuscation, or cite anything other than straw-man arguments?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 7 hr Kelly 11,179
Trump To End ‘Meals On Wheels’ For Seniors (Mar '17) 10 hr BAOKIE 23
Karen Swift/ Phil Bivens 11 hr Guest 163
Develey 15 hr Curious 6
Kroger has mice infestation? 17 hr Better 19
Need an older lady (Nov '16) 17 hr ripper 7
Clinton Foundation received millions from inves... 17 hr guest 11

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance