Next Last
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#1 Mar 13, 2014
Port authority welcomes new member; ag commissioner to visit in April
Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dyersburg State Gazette

(Photo)
Diana Frankum, mother of the late Dave Frankum, joined the Northwest Tennessee Regional Port Authority Board on Wednesday morning for her first official meeting. Frankum was selected by the Obion County Commission at its January 2014 meeting to fill the open seat.

[Click to enlarge]
The Northwest Tennessee Regional Port Authority board welcomed its newest member at its monthly meeting on Wednesday, March 12 as Diana Frankum was selected by the Obion County Commission in January to fill the open Obion County seat on the board. Frankum succeeds her son Dave Frankum, who served on the board until his untimely death last November. Jimmy Williamson, chairman of the board, welcomed Frankum in his opening remarks and expressed on behalf of the board their excitement to have her on board.

In the legal report, attorney John Lannom briefed the board on where the rail application to the Surface Transportation Board (STB) currently stands. Lannom continues to work with Washington, D.C.-based attorney John Heffner on the submission of a draft petition to the STB in the hopes of securing a waiver of the rail application's $85,000 fee. The petition has been completed and submitted and Lannom says he is optimistic about the chances of securing a waiver. Lannom shared that former interim port director Scott Sigman of Informa Economics had recently discussed a waiver of the application with the STB chairman, who indicated that he would be open to granting a waiver request considering the Port of Cates Landing's lack of capital and the economic limitations of Lake County.

Lannom noted that the petition is also requesting that EnSafe be allowed to perform the necessary environmental studies due to their familiarity with the port. EnSafe, an environmental firm in Memphis, had previously worked for the port authority under the TIGER II grant application. It was last reported in January that there were concerns about the relationship between EnSafe and the board but Lannom commented that the petition should clarify and lay to rest those concerns.

"A lot is going on under the radar," concluded Lannom.
He means under the table.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#2 Mar 13, 2014
What a HOOT ! LOL

Dyersburg among top 10 micropolitans in US
Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dyersburg State Gazette

(Photo)
Dyersburg has cracked the top-10 list of top micropolitans in the United States in Site Selection magazine's March 2014 issue. A micropolitan is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as a non-urban community that is anchored by a town of no more than 50,000 residents. Dyersburg placed 10th out of 576 recognized micropolitans in the country based on the number of industries that it has attracted as well as expansions undertaken by industries that already call Dyersburg home. The ranking is the highest Dyersburg has ever received in the annual listing and it is also the highest ranking for any Tennessee micropolitan.

"We're extremely proud of our ranking and our results for 2013," said Dyersburg/Dyer County board chairman Larry White in a press release. "Our economic development team works very hard to bring in new industry, and to maintain a positive climate here for existing industry as well. The effectiveness of our team, as well as the resilience of our local industries is reflected in these results, and we're going to work hard going forward to maintain our efforts to grow our industrial base here in Northwest Tennessee."

In 2011, Dyersburg was recognized in the top-100 list of micropolitans after placing 32nd with four projects that year. However 2013 proved to be a good year, with the city nearly doubling the 2011 tally with seven projects -- one new and six expansion projects. The most highly publicized project came in August 2013 when Dot Foods announced that it would be opening a new facility in Dyersburg creating 157 new jobs in its first three years with the facility projected to serve over 600 food distributors. Although Dot Foods is part of the reason why Dyersburg made the list, it is not the sole reason, as expansions at existing facilities also played a significant part in Dyersburg's ranking.

"It's an honor for the city to be recognized," said Dyersburg Mayor John Holden. "Growth is important to us and we want to not only attract new businesses but we also want to take care of the industries that are already here. It is a testament to their leadership and work force that they can continue to grow and maintain in that competitive environment."

NSK Steering Systems America Inc., Nordyne, Caterpillar, Hillshire Brands, SR Global and Royal Guard all undertook expansions in 2013. According to Allen Hester, president and CEO of the chamber, each of the companies made significant capital investments in their operations. NSK added 244 jobs in 2013 bringing their work force to 600 strong. The rest all made significant capital improvements and the Dyer County Commission just approved this week to submit an application on behalf of Royal Guard to the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development for Tennessee industrial infrastructure funds. If awarded, the grant will signify a $500,000 investment by the state in Royal Guard.

"Dyersburg and Dyer County is a hub for manufacturing in Northwest Tennessee," said Holden. "We have companies ... that have chosen Dyersburg for its strategic location and quality work force."
On Line Newspapers

Decatur, AL

#3 Mar 13, 2014
Thanks for the post! We can use all of the advertisement, we can get. Before you know it, there will be little bistro style restaurants all over down town, with outside seating and wine tastings. I can get my nails done across the street from the square, during my lunch hour. Maybe there will be some outlet stores opened up and I hope someone turns the empty Dyersburg Fabric's lot, into a giant flea market. I love, love, love, being able to buy a package of 20 pairs of socks, for 10.00. Or aspirin for 1.00! Peoples pockets will be running over, with all the money they have saved.
Sorry to hear about your state of California, though. I heard you had an earthquake today and a few days ago, they caught 2 eight year old's and a nine year old kid smoking pot in a bathroom at school! Did you hear about the two guys there, that were just arrested for killing one of them's girlfriend, her mother and stepfather in 2006? One of them was just 17 at the time. I wonder if he smoked pot in the bathroom of his elementary school too. 7 years to solve that crime. I hope they don't take that long to solve the Swift murder here.
It's good that you are keeping up with our little town. Maybe you pointing out growth here, is to keep all of those bad things happening there, from happening here too! Maybe keeping up with our little problems, helps you forget all of those big things, happening in your state!
Thanks again for the free advertisement.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#4 Mar 17, 2014
On Line Newspapers wrote:
Thanks for the post! We can use all of the advertisement, we can get. Before you know it, there will be little bistro style restaurants all over down town, with outside seating and wine tastings. I can get my nails done across the street from the square, during my lunch hour. Maybe there will be some outlet stores opened up and I hope someone turns the empty Dyersburg Fabric's lot, into a giant flea market. I love, love, love, being able to buy a package of 20 pairs of socks, for 10.00. Or aspirin for 1.00! Peoples pockets will be running over, with all the money they have saved.
Sorry to hear about your state of California, though. I heard you had an earthquake today and a few days ago, they caught 2 eight year old's and a nine year old kid smoking pot in a bathroom at school! Did you hear about the two guys there, that were just arrested for killing one of them's girlfriend, her mother and stepfather in 2006? One of them was just 17 at the time. I wonder if he smoked pot in the bathroom of his elementary school too. 7 years to solve that crime. I hope they don't take that long to solve the Swift murder here.
It's good that you are keeping up with our little town. Maybe you pointing out growth here, is to keep all of those bad things happening there, from happening here too! Maybe keeping up with our little problems, helps you forget all of those big things, happening in your state!
Thanks again for the free advertisement.
Oh, wot a Dburg rant, last I heard was that Tennessee is the most violent crime ridden state and highest taxed state in America... What a hoot...If they keep getting grants and sucking $$$$ from the blue states folks in Tennessee will not have to pay a dime in taxes...LOL

Jackson, TN

#5 Mar 17, 2014
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, wot a Dburg rant, last I heard was that Tennessee is the most violent crime ridden state and highest taxed state in America... What a hoot...If they keep getting grants and sucking $$$$ from the blue states folks in Tennessee will not have to pay a dime in taxes...LOL
guess u mad cause your daddy Obama ant putting in money in your state
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#6 Mar 29, 2014
Guest wrote:
<quoted text> guess u mad cause your daddy Obama ant putting in money in your state
CA don't need the money, Gov Brown is running a $17,000,000,000 surplus and that's after the republicon Gov left a $25,000,000,000 debt. republicans suck.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#7 Apr 6, 2014
Guest wrote:
<quoted text> guess u mad cause your daddy Obama ant putting in money in your state
Hahaheeeehahee

WHAT A JOKE, another April fools day JOKE from Dburg.

Port Authority to welcome Tennessee ag commissioner
Saturday, April 5, 2014

Dyersburg State Gazette

The Northwest Tennessee Regional Port Authority will welcome the Tennessee commissioner of agriculture at the board's regular monthly meeting on Wednesday, April 9 at 9 a.m. in the port office located at 4480 Cateslanding Road in Tiptonville.

Other items on the agenda include:

* Attorney John Lannom will report on legal issues

* Forcum Lannom Contractors will provide a project report

* Informa Economics will provide a business report

The board will also hear reports from the commissioners and comments from the general public.
OMG
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#8 Apr 10, 2014
Hahaheeeehahee

WHAT A JOKE, another late April fools day JOKE from Dburg hypocrite teabag tax suckers while 38% of Dburg residents starve. WOW

http://www.stategazette.com/story/2068902.htm...
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#9 Apr 11, 2014
TN hypocrite Freshman Republicans Lobby Federal Agencies For Millions Amid Spending Critiques. Two faced SOBs!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/05/fres...
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#10 Apr 11, 2014
Andy wrote:
TN hypocrite Freshman Republicans Lobby Federal Agencies For Millions Amid Spending Critiques. Two faced SOBs!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/05/fres...
From above story!

Real live rwnut skanks.

Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-Tenn.), a member of the freshmen Republican class of the House of Representatives whose district includes the port project, faced a predicament. Elected as a fiscal hawk, with pledges to get spending under control, he could either go to the mat for Cates Landing or make a philosophical, self-sacrificial statement.

He chose the former. On March 8, 2011, Gannett news service reported that the funding for Cates Landing was being targeted by lawmakers looking to slash the federal budget. The same day that report came out, Fincher spoke directly with Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood about the funds. The next day, he wrote a follow-up letter seeking assistance in "obligating" the $13 million grant for the port.

"The contract is currently before your Department and ready to be signed," the letter read. "I am respectively requesting you to help push this project over the final hurdle. There is no law, regulation, or other legal obligation to prevent you from signing this contract and I urge you to do so without further delay."

The lobbying had its intended results. The grant was signed on March 18, according to a Department of Transportation spokesperson, with the goal of finishing construction by the fall.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#11 Apr 12, 2014
Just wondering Andy are u in Ca now? Why are you so consumed with W Tn?
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#12 Apr 12, 2014
always pondering wrote:
Just wondering Andy are u in Ca now? Why are you so consumed with W Tn?
Caz 70% of folks in west TN(mostly republicon) is sucking my federal tax dollars like drunken sailors.
Why ask

United States

#13 Apr 13, 2014
From what I have seen of the Cates Port it's not much to write home about. A road that goes to a bend in the river, a storage building and a loading dock.

What did they spend $millions on? It's probably better than nothing, but from all the news stories I was expecting a lot more than what I found online.

Maybe in the years to come it will pay off, but it's got a long way to go.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#14 Apr 16, 2014
Why ask wrote:
From what I have seen of the Cates Port it's not much to write home about. A road that goes to a bend in the river, a storage building and a loading dock.
What did they spend $millions on? It's probably better than nothing, but from all the news stories I was expecting a lot more than what I found online.
This is what ALL crooks should get when they scam public funds, CA is putting the crooks in JAIL where they belong.

Robert Rizzo, the city administrator who oversaw an era of corruption and graft in one of Los Angeles County’s poorest cities, was sentenced Wednesday to 12 years in state prison.

Rizzo stared straight ahead, his palms pressed against the defense table as the sentence was read.

“Mr. Rizzo, you did some very, very bad things for a very long time,” Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy told the former Bell city administrator.

The judge said Rizzo transformed himself into a “godfather of sorts” in Bell, an all-powerful ruler who plundered the city’s treasury to pay lavish salaries and dole out loans to fellow employees.

Kennedy also ordered Rizzo to pay $8.8 million in restitution to Bell, but agreed to credit him for money he and the city’s former police chief have already returned to the city.

For the first time since the salary scandal erupted in 2010, Rizzo spoke publicly about his role in the wrongdoing.

In a soft voice, and again staring straight ahead, Rizzo said he was “very, very sorry.”

“If I could go back and make changes. I would,” Rizzo said.“I've done it a million times in my mind."

But a series of speakers, including another Bell elected official, pushed back on the notion that Rizzo was genuine in his apology or had any empathy for the citizens of the city.

“The damage has been done and the money is gone,” said City Councilwoman Violetta Alvarez, who was elected as a reformer after authorities arrested Rizzo and seven other Bell city leaders.

"This is not about him anymore,” added a Maywood resident who said his town also suffered at Rizzo’s hands.“This is about the people getting justice."

Rizzo was already sentenced to 33 months in federal prison Monday for a tax fraud scheme in which he claimed hundreds of thousands of dollars in phony losses, mostly tied to his sprawling horse ranch outside Seattle.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-r...

Martin, TN

#15 Apr 17, 2014
Hopevit is a great success.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#16 Apr 21, 2014
guest wrote:
Hopevit is a great success.
Bill Freeman: Republicans' abuse of absolute power hurts Tennessee economy
Bill Freeman is the co-founder and co-owner of Freeman Webb Company, a real estate investment, management and brokerage company that owns and manages more than 3,500 apartment units in Knoxville.

Posted April 20, 2014 at 3 a.m.

Imagine, if you will, that President Barack Obama was secretly offering businesses taxpayer dollars if they change their business models and encourage workers to join labor unions. Imagine if Obama denied he was doing it, but documents surfaced that proved he was.

haslem and corcker suck.

If you love MISERY just keep voting for republicons in Tennessee.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#17 Apr 21, 2014
Why ask wrote:
Wonder what will happen when it floods?
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#18 Apr 24, 2014
always pondering wrote:
<quoted text> Wonder what will happen when it floods?
The rwnut bubbas and nepotism folks have been flooded with tax payers money,$46,000,000.00 plus is expected before the scam is over.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#19 Jun 4, 2014
always pondering wrote:
<quoted text> Wonder what will happen when it floods?
hahahaheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e JOKE, KY gets the JOBS LOL..what a hoot

Ky. company named port operator

Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Dyersburg State Gazette
(Photo)
Dyer County Mayor Richard Hill says Friday was a red-letter day for port officials when R.J. Corman Railroad Group of Nicholasville, Ky. was named operator of the Port of Cates Landing in Tiptonville. Pictured from left: John Hamilton, Dyer County Roads Superintendent Jeff Jones, Barry Hart and Dyer County Mayor Richard Hill.
[Click to enlarge]
The Port of Cates Landing made great strides on Friday when officials named the R.J. Corman Railroad Group of Nicholasville, Ky. as the port operator. The river port opened last year but until now, with an interim manager.
Port Authority Chairman Jimmy Williamson said his longtime friend Don Pennington, who recently passed away, was an integral part of the vision and development of the port.

City and county officials from Dyer, Lake and Obion counties were on hand to witness the signing of the agreement. The agreement states that R.J. Corman will pay an unspecified amount of rent plus a percent of their gross operating receipts to the port authority. R.J. Corman will have exclusive control of the campus of the port. The company will operate the port through two six-month exploratory terms and out of the existing port offices. At the end of either of the six-month terms, R.J. Corman will then have an option for a 10-year agreement with another 10-year option, for a total potential term of the agreement to 21 years. R.J. Corman will be responsible for general liability insurance, workers' comp insurance, as well as other insurance needed for operation.

(Photo) "Corman will assist in further marketing of the port, the cultivation of the business contact and basically commence the operation," said Williamson. "It's a partnership that hits on all points that we need to succeed."
Williamson said this will accomplish the purpose of the port, which is to stimulate the economy, provide jobs and develop businesses in the Northwest Tennessee region.

"You all will be very happy," said R.J. Corman president and chief executive officer Craig King. "We'll be good neighbors, good partners and good friends."

Dyer County Mayor Richard Hill said it was a red-letter day for all who have been involved in the process of building and developing the port.

"We actually feel like we see the efforts coming into fruition now," said Hill.

According to the company website, in 1973, Richard J. Corman, a native of Nicholasville, Ky. started doing railroad construction right after graduating high school. In a little over 35 years, he turned a railroad service company with a single backhoe into one of the nation's leading railroad service providers. The family of companies has divisions in 24 states and employs over 1,200 people.
Andy

Sacramento, CA

#20 Jun 14, 2014
More TN tax scams on the way by haslem and corker, koch bro poodles.

DO THE MATH, RWNUT TENNESSEE SUCKS.

NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP)- Tennessee Finance Commissioner Larry Martin says the state's revenue collections recorded negative growth in May.

Martin said in a news release on Wednesday that overall revenues were $40 million less than expected. He attributed the poor numbers mainly to a legal change in the timing of business tax payments, and the payment of a large sales tax settlement.

May sales tax collections reflect business activity that occurred during April.

The state's general fund fell short by $42 million last month.

Corporate franchise and excise taxes were $2.2 million below the budgeted estimate for May, and sales taxes were $10.5 million less than expected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
yes you 3 min guest 5
One day 16 min Lol 47
Sheriff's office 56 min Guest 76
NWA Midsouth 59 min Mr. Marshall 54
hay for sale (May '13) 1 hr Rocco 7
Red Chevy 4x4 with orange ligbt on top 1 hr Rocco 5
What it do? 1 hr Tanzy 7

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance