Nursing a Starving Puppy

Posted in the Dyersburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
help

Jackson, TN

#1 Jul 12, 2010
I found a dog in my front yard that has literally almost starved to death. I believe she is a chihuahua mix. I have been nursing her for the past two days and all I can get her to take in is water. She was also extremely dehydrated. I'm trying to nurse her back to health and then probably take her to the humane society (I don't have any interest in finding her owner because nobody has been looking for a dog around here and she obviously hasn't been taken good care of, due to her condition and scars on her little body). I contacted the vet and they weren't much help. Does anyone have any experience with this and does anyone know what I can do to make this little girl eat? I have tried everything.
bless

Sioux City, IA

#2 Jul 12, 2010
I would let her keep drinking as much water as she wants...I am not a vet, but maybe if she gets rehydrated she will get her appetite back. Keeps us posted on her progress....
Jen

Sioux City, IA

#3 Jul 12, 2010
Walmart sells nursing bottles if indeed she is a puppy. Take chicken or beef broth mix half broth half pedalyte ( generic brand is fine) This will restore her electrolytes and prevent the dog from dehydrating and you will prolly have to force it down the first 1-2 times. Take a baby medicine syring hold the dogs mouth at a angle and put 1- 1/2 cc of juice every 10 minutes for about an hour. See if she holds it down the broth and pedialyte is what a vet prescribed to me when my female dog would not let her puppy nurse. I also bought a can of puppy milk from walmart for the nutrients if you plan to keep for a period of time. Pet milk and eveaporated milk will work later on when you strengthen her stomach up. My puppy like her broth and pedialyte slightly warm not sure if thats all dogs. Also if shes very young she will love a stuffed animal to curl up to something that has a little fur on makes it feel more safe. Also you might want to wor her and keep her away from any other dog you have its a very slight chance it could be parvo or a very bad case of worms
help

Jackson, TN

#4 Jul 12, 2010
She went to the bathroom a little bit ago and my fears were confirmed: I think she has Parvo. There was a ribbon of blood in her stool. This would also make sense as to why she isn't holding any food down, and I have been having to force her to eat what she has. I'm going to do the right thing in the morning and get her medical attention. I don't have any dogs so luckily I don't have to worry about getting any other animals sick right now.
Breeder

Sioux City, IA

#5 Jul 12, 2010
Here is a formula I use when weaning pups off mother or nursing a sick pup.
2 cans goats milk or pet milk
2 eggs ( remove yoke if possible but not a necessity)
1 32 oz can or jar plain yogurt.( Try not to get lowfat ) Plain all natural yogurt is best.
3 tablespoons of white karo syrup.

Blend ingredients together. This is a sweet mixture and most animals will readily lap up. If not, get a syringe and squirt in mouth. This formula is very rich and nutritious. it has approx. 11 calories per cc/ml or 330 calories per ounce.
BBB

Farmington, MO

#6 Jul 12, 2010
help wrote:
She went to the bathroom a little bit ago and my fears were confirmed: I think she has Parvo. There was a ribbon of blood in her stool. This would also make sense as to why she isn't holding any food down, and I have been having to force her to eat what she has. I'm going to do the right thing in the morning and get her medical attention. I don't have any dogs so luckily I don't have to worry about getting any other animals sick right now.
Keeep putting the water down her. As much as you can. Even if it is coming back up hopefully some of it is staying down. Getting her to vet in the morning hopefully will help. You are a very caring person to do this.
God love her

Newbern, TN

#7 Jul 12, 2010
I would take her to the vet first thing in the morning. Just tell them the story and how you found her and if they can nurse her back to health they will have someone from the humane society come and pick her up from their office. Good luck, I'll pray for her...
agree

Brighton, TN

#8 Jul 12, 2010
Yes, the puppy most definitely needs medical treatment because you do not know what all is wrong with it and just taking in water is not enough for it. Please take it to the vet or the humane society and they will take it to the vet. I applaud your efforts, not many people would even try, but this puppy needs more help than you alone can give it.
almost-infamous

United States

#9 Jul 12, 2010
Someone left a puppy the same breed of dog as you say you have found on my deck a week or so ago. It wasn't malnurished nor do I think it had parvo, but it was eat up with fleas. I tried giving it a bath, but I couldn't get rid of all the fleas. I took her to the humane society, but if you suspect it has parvo take extra caution and clean everything it comes in contact with even though you dont have dogs that virus can stick around for a while on surfaces. Also it may be a good idea to call the humane society and tell them about her ailments before you take her to see what precautions they prefer you take. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

United States

#10 Jul 12, 2010
If you take her to the humane society they will put the puppy down b/c parvo is very contagious and will infect other animails. it's air born. You shoudl take the puppy to the vet b/c they can treat the puppy back to health w/ medications if it's not to far along in the puppys system. You doing a great thing. I wish people could be more like you and help stray animails. Please take the puppy to the vet they will take care of the puppy.
dude

Waterloo, Canada

#11 Jul 13, 2010
I am to understand that antifreeze is very good for dogs.
PWND

Jackson, TN

#12 Jul 13, 2010
dude wrote:
I am to understand that antifreeze is very good for dogs.
I am to understand that you are not funny or too bright.

Sioux City, IA

#13 Jul 13, 2010
Don't expect help from the humane agency. They have been called three times for abused animals in our community. Tied without shelter, hours and hours without water, very poorly fed ,ingrown collars, disease, parasites, ticks and flea infestation. No one ever came to investigate. The poor animals can't help themselves. We don't know what else to do. Sad situation . Doesn't speak highly for the shelter.
Dude

Dyersburg, TN

#14 Jul 13, 2010
PWND wrote:
<quoted text>
I am to understand that you are not funny or too bright.
I am to understand that you can go engage in intercourse with yourself, jackass.

South Sioux City, NE

#15 Jul 13, 2010
dude i understand antifreeze would be the perfect drink for u the more the better

Waterloo, Canada

#16 Jul 13, 2010
guest wrote:
dude i understand antifreeze would be the perfect drink for u the more the better
and for that near dead dog too
help

Jackson, TN

#17 Jul 13, 2010
I had her put to sleep this morning. It was the best thing for her. For those of you who had helpful things to say thank you and God bless. For those who don't you must not have much to do if you are on here tormenting someone trying to help a dying dog. Enjoy your bitterness.
agree

Brighton, TN

#18 Jul 14, 2010
help wrote:
I had her put to sleep this morning. It was the best thing for her. For those of you who had helpful things to say thank you and God bless. For those who don't you must not have much to do if you are on here tormenting someone trying to help a dying dog. Enjoy your bitterness.
I'm so sorry for the pain you are going through but given the circumstances, you did the right thing. You are a very special and rare type of person to love a neglected animal so much and try so hard. I know from experience the puppy needed much more medicine to survive although you did everything you could do to help it. Putting it down, while painful, was the most loving thing you could do for it. The world needs a whole lot more good people like you. God bless you.
agree

Brighton, TN

#19 Jul 14, 2010
guest wrote:
Don't expect help from the humane agency. They have been called three times for abused animals in our community. Tied without shelter, hours and hours without water, very poorly fed ,ingrown collars, disease, parasites, ticks and flea infestation. No one ever came to investigate. The poor animals can't help themselves. We don't know what else to do. Sad situation . Doesn't speak highly for the shelter.
Please keep calling them and tell them if they don't come out, you will call the police. Animal abuse is a crime. Believe me, I've had some of the same situtations and it has taken me up to a week of constant calling and staying on them but they finally came because I wasn't going to let them ignore it. Then I was told you can call the police. If they don't come out, I sure would. Dr. Carol Feather should be called also since she is over the shelter.
Chelsea Swemley

United States

#20 Nov 23, 2010
Today me and my boyfriend go to pick up what we think is a healthy blue pit... and when we get her we knew she was quit skinny but when we got her in the light she was pretty much starved!!!! im very concered and dont know what to do!!! she is drinken tons of water and only eatting alittle food.... and her belly is extremely large... therefore i know shes wormy! i wormed her and gave her a bath.... any tips that can help me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 16 min Alex Nicole 5,055
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 43 min Say watt 11,014
everyone in the GOP has scandalous ties to Russia 1 hr Come on 2
The Conservative Mind Has Become “Diseased” 1 hr Come on 4
Reds don't care being paid by soros 2 hr REDS don t care 5
Feed the Need program and commodities 2 hr Come on 6
if you want me back 2 hr Just me 3

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance