created by: Thomas Jefferson | Nov 11, 2009

Dyersburg, TN

739 votes

Should schools be out for MLK day, but not Veterans Day?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes
  • No

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Taps

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I believe it disgraceful for government schools to be out MLK day, but not Veterans Day, nor Washington's birthday, nor Lincoln's birthday.

Is MLK more important than two presidents and ALL our veterans?

Let's get our priorities in order!
Mom

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I don't think they are out on MLK Day. They weren't last year.
gist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Mom wrote:
I don't think they are out on MLK Day. They weren't last year.
name needs to be changed from mlk to jer day
Taps

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I submit the following Khe Sahn quote in honor of Veterans Day and all US veterans, living and dead:

"You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know."

-An unattributed quote, penned on a C-ration box for display at a Marine Corps command post, Khe Sahn, South Vietnam, during the 77-day siege in 1968
Umm

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I'm pretty sure MLK knew what it was like to fight for life. Only he was fighting to have rights in the same country he paid taxes to.

Don't minimize what he did because you're racist or upset that you had to go to school today.
Afghanistan Veteran

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Umm wrote:
I'm pretty sure MLK knew what it was like to fight for life. Only he was fighting to have rights in the same country he paid taxes to.
Don't minimize what he did because you're racist or upset that you had to go to school today.
I am a veteran, a father, a husband, and a public servant. I am not a racist. I am not trying to minimize anything that Dr.King accomplished. He was one of the greatest champions for peace and equality this generation, or nation, has ever known.

I think schools should observe Veterans Day just like all government offices and be closed. I have fought, bled, and killed for this country as a soldier. I witnessed death, destruction, carnage, felt heartache and deep pain in my soul. I have burried some of the bravest men and women that this country has ever known. I volunteered for service to this country because I am a true American. I serve to protect those that cannot, or will not, defend themselves. It is not for anything that I have done, but to honor those that paid the ultimate price for freedom that I believe schools should not be in session on Veterans Day.

Please explain to me how this makes me a racist.

By the way, I had to work today. Serving on active duty at FT. Knox, KY.
Beth

Union City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I appreciate the veterans. My father and uncle served in WW2. And I lived thru the Viet Nam War. These men only did what they were TOLD TO DO. They are my heroes. All of them. VietNam vets were not treated right when they came back. That was so so wrong. They fought for our country whether or not one feels it was right or not. The Veterans Adm is the only thing I will donate to.
BLESS ALL THE VETERANS AND ONE SPECIAL THANK YOU HERE!
just me

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Afghanistan Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a veteran, a father, a husband, and a public servant. I am not a racist. I am not trying to minimize anything that Dr.King accomplished. He was one of the greatest champions for peace and equality this generation, or nation, has ever known.
I think schools should observe Veterans Day just like all government offices and be closed. I have fought, bled, and killed for this country as a soldier. I witnessed death, destruction, carnage, felt heartache and deep pain in my soul. I have burried some of the bravest men and women that this country has ever known. I volunteered for service to this country because I am a true American. I serve to protect those that cannot, or will not, defend themselves. It is not for anything that I have done, but to honor those that paid the ultimate price for freedom that I believe schools should not be in session on Veterans Day.
By there way, I had to work today. Serving on actHive duty at FT. Knox, KY.

To ALL the men and women who have served/ are serving THANK YOU!!!

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I think it is dumb to get out for mlk dy and not veterans day andd the government does need to get priorites straight and thats not bein raciest its being honest I would like to thank everyone who has fought for this country and who is in the military it takes a very special and brave person to do that.. my boyfirend is stationed in hawaii and he will be leaving next year i am very proud of him and everyone else.. as for the racism thats not what it is at all its the truth.. and i think out verterans deserve way more than what they do
Taps

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Afghanistan Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I had to work today. Serving on active duty at FT. Knox, KY.
Thank you sir, for your patriotic service.

It minimizes the sacrifice of the millions of veterans like you who have fought, bled and died to preserve our freedoms not to properly celebrate Veterans Day. No one knows what you have gone through.

It sends the wrong message to our next generation: that President George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln and our millions of veterans are not as important as MLK. Did MLK serve during Vietnam? What were his subversive leanings? Was he the father of this country? Did he preserve the Union against all odds? No. He was shot assisting a garbage workers strike.

No wonder this country is in such trouble.

What's wrong with this picture?

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I agree with you so much taps
Afghanistan Veteran

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

I had this song on my IPod. We listened to it before every mission. I hope you can feel what it makes me feel when I hear it.

Thank you: Cpl. Keith Eric Essary and Cpl. Kevin Edgin. My brothers in arms. We'll see each other again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Dyersburg resident

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Umm wrote:
Quit trying to make any type of criticism of Michael King racist. That was a deliberate attempt on your part to try and say something good about the man, and then end discussion by saying anything negative about him is racist. Typical ploy, but easily defeated. King has been proven top be a plagiarist, a liar ,a thief, and adulterer among other things. He supported communism and to have a national holiday named after him is not only an embarrassment, but an outrage.
just me

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

RIP Cpl. Keith Essary We miss u so much.

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

maybe we need more holidays like MLK, we needed to give JER a medal for what he do.
Dyersburg resident

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

Judged:

People celebrate Christmas willingly, the same with Thanksgiving, veterans day, Labor day and others. MLK day is forced. How many PRIVATE businesses actually close on MLK day? Very few if any. It is a government mandated "holiday" which government offices close, not in observance or any celebration, but because of the political pressure brought on it by certain groups. Should tell you something about the man and his idiotic "holiday" when it has to be forced upon you.
loss

Union City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

Judged:

Because MLK was black and the blacks are taking over!! Hell they could care less about our veterans- more of them should join the armed forces and it would clean up the hood.
just sayin

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

Judged:

loss wrote:
Because MLK was black and the blacks are taking over!! Hell they could care less about our veterans- more of them should join the armed forces and it would clean up the hood.
we don't see a white history month either.
that sucks

Dyersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

Judged:

yes we should celebrate his assassination
abd

Union City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2009

Judged:

just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>we don't see a white history month either.
There are eleven months of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

109 Users are viewing the Dyersburg Forum right now

Search the Dyersburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
jeannie ramey and justin mcguire (Dec '11) 2 min nancy 45
Man Screw You!!!! 2 min guest 16
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 8 min WTSenior 124,124
pepper_126 (Mar '13) 37 min Dickens1 5,955
wreck at 4 points 37 min saw it 6
looking to buy used car for under 1300 (Jan '10) 48 min cheyenne summa 8
Butler Heating & Air 55 min aldie tatum 31
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 9 hr Fred M 95,214
•••
•••
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••