Dter County School Board refuses disa...

Dter County School Board refuses disabled boy to transfer schools

Posted in the Dyersburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Sioux City, IA

#1 Aug 24, 2009
my son is 10 years old he has autism he was attending Holice Powell School till he came home with severe bruises on him we have a police investigation and we tried to have him moved to Newbern Elementary.Last Wen night we went in front of the school board to try to get this done they told us that they could nor allow my son to go to Newbern School because he would over crowed the other children.As a parent i will not allow my son who caint tell me who hurt him the first ime to go back in the school were he is so terrified you caint even drive down hwy 210 without him crying and saying no please no their mean but he wont say who.All i ask of them is to give my son a chance for an education in a school wer he feels safe and secure but they still said know that if i wanted him in public school i would put him back in Holice powell.Its not fair and i pay my taxes so im going to fight them if any one knows anything that could help please do my son deserves an education to.He is the victim in all this mess.
dig it deep

Covington, TN

#2 Aug 24, 2009
guest wrote:
my son is 10 years old he has autism he was attending Holice Powell School till he came home with severe bruises on him we have a police investigation and we tried to have him moved to Newbern Elementary.Last Wen night we went in front of the school board to try to get this done they told us that they could nor allow my son to go to Newbern School because he would over crowed the other children.As a parent i will not allow my son who caint tell me who hurt him the first ime to go back in the school were he is so terrified you caint even drive down hwy 210 without him crying and saying no please no their mean but he wont say who.All i ask of them is to give my son a chance for an education in a school wer he feels safe and secure but they still said know that if i wanted him in public school i would put him back in Holice powell.Its not fair and i pay my taxes so im going to fight them if any one knows anything that could help please do my son deserves an education to.He is the victim in all this mess.
You need to have an m-team meeting and then get lawyers involved. There are lawyers from the state of TN that represent when children rights are being violated. TN voices for children also are helpful a situation like this. I am sure you have a behavior plan also that was divised by the school and have had a meeting before he started that school right?
idea

Sioux City, IA

#3 Aug 24, 2009
guest wrote:
I understand your frustration. While the school board can deny you a transfer it's not just that you should have to send your child to a place where you question their safety. Not to mention that autistic children very often have no voice and will suffer in silence. I would suggest two options for you and hopefully one or both of them will render results.

Option 1: Contact an attorney. Children with developmental disabilities are protected under laws and have certain rights that can be used to help your situation. Also contact a mental health service to get your child a patient advocate. A friend of mine is in this field and they can work wonders in helping you navigate the system to make sure your child has a safe and healthy learning environment.

Option 2: Under the Jeter law there are home schools that are run without state interference. One of these schools is Home Life Academy out of Memphis,TN. Through this school (tuition is only fifty dollars...your responsible for curriculum) you can legally pull your son out of Holice Powell until you can find a more suitable situation for him. While at home teaching him will be difficult but it's a lot easier than spending your day worrying about his safety and good mental state.

I hate to see anyone facing resistance from others over a childs right to safety. I hope my advice helps and I wish you and your son all the best with this.
GoNow

Memphis, TN

#4 Aug 24, 2009
Go to Dyersburg. DC education sucks
Mandi

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Aug 24, 2009
guest wrote:
you need to contact treva maitland .she is an advocate for kids with special needs.she is in [email protected], or call the gibson county school district.i believe she works for them.i have a 7 yr old with autism.when he was 3 he started pre-school at holice powell.so i know all about this stuff.
Mandi

Fort Collins, CO

#6 Aug 24, 2009
oh and one more thing.if holice powell cant provide him with an education,then you need to sue them,and they will have to pay for a school that can.that is the advice that was given to me.we moved out of state instead of going through all that mess,and it was the best decision we ever made.my son is in a public school,but they have an autism program.he is 1 on 1 all day,and they do ABA.besides that he gets OT/PT/ST once a week.good luck!

Sioux City, IA

#7 Aug 24, 2009
I have contacted an avocacy attorney and a private attorney they are supose to be getting back with me today.And i tried to put him in Dyersburg they refused him because we live in the county i even talkec to Mr Rainer him self he said that he had to attend county school.
A thought

Sioux City, IA

#8 Aug 24, 2009
If he's not saying WHO did it, are you sure it was a teacher? Could it have been a kid on the playground or even outside the school at the beginning or end of the day?
good grief

Sioux City, IA

#9 Aug 24, 2009
A thought wrote:
If he's not saying WHO did it, are you sure it was a teacher? Could it have been a kid on the playground or even outside the school at the beginning or end of the day?
I don't think it would matter one way or another. Even if another child did this, this child should've been watched more closely than other children. There should have been things in place to keep him safe from other children as well.

Sioux City, IA

#10 Aug 24, 2009
I feel like it shouldnt matter i trusted them to keep him safe and special needs kids are supose to be watched at all times.
Random

Santa Barbara, CA

#11 Aug 24, 2009
GoNow wrote:
Go to Dyersburg. DC education sucks
the county is just as good! The city will just brush him aside. I would home school my kids before i would send them to city schools. Does fifth not have room for him or do they not have a program for special needs children? Its sad that one of gods angels have to go through so much!
wondderin

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2009
newbern elem is a load of trash they never accept people with disabiltys ...if i were u i would get a lawyer and sue the hell out of them...trimble elem is a good school..while i dont have autism i did have a learnin disabilty and trimble has classes for people with disabiltys...i went to trimble all my life..its a small school but the teachers there are great and they will help everybody they can and they watch kids with special needs more closley
just me

Jackson, TN

#13 Aug 24, 2009
wondderin wrote:
newbern elem is a load of trash they never accept people with disabiltys ...if i were u i would get a lawyer and sue the hell out of them...trimble elem is a good school..while i dont have autism i did have a learnin disabilty and trimble has classes for people with disabiltys...i went to trimble all my life..its a small school but the teachers there are great and they will help everybody they can and they watch kids with special needs more closley
You, my friend are so wrong. While you may not like Newbern Elementary, they are not trash. They do accept kids with disabilities. Pay them a visit. You will find autism on up to down syndrome...so don't go bashing Newbern simply because you don't like them.
Been There

Sioux City, IA

#14 Aug 24, 2009
You need to file a grievence with the state. Your child has a right to a "free appropriate education in the least restrictive environment" and also a right to an non-hostile environment. If they can't provide that, then they have to send him to someone who can and they are responsible for the costs involved. You'll have to force the issue but according to the law they are absolutely responsible.

Whatever you do, don't let them send him to Halls Elementary. I moved out of the county to get my son away from there and it was the very best thing I have ever done for him. That whole system is a joke if you have a special needs child.
wondderin

United States

#15 Aug 24, 2009
just me wrote:
<quoted text>You, my friend are so wrong. While you may not like Newbern Elementary, they are not trash. They do accept kids with disabilities. Pay them a visit. You will find autism on up to down syndrome...so don't go bashing Newbern simply because you don't like them.
ok for one i dont have to go to newbern elem to see this bc i know its not true i have a cousin who wanted to go to newbern but couldnt because he had DOWN SYNDROME...so dont be talkin about shi* u dont know nothing bout
Uhh

United States

#16 Aug 24, 2009
wondderin wrote:
<quoted text> ok for one i dont have to go to newbern elem to see this bc i know its not true i have a cousin who wanted to go to newbern but couldnt because he had DOWN SYNDROME...so dont be talkin about shi* u dont know nothing bout
So the down syndrome kids that are there were just born there? You're such an idiot. hahaa
expat procrastinatrix

Utica, MI

#17 Aug 24, 2009
Whoever told you that you couldn't send your son to the city schools is a misinformed idiot. Anyone who lives in the county can attend the city schools without tuition.

Good luck with getting this situation resolved - it's never easy when your child falls outside of what is considered "average".
reeses

Sioux City, IA

#18 Aug 24, 2009
wondderin wrote:
<quoted text> ok for one i dont have to go to newbern elem to see this bc i know its not true i have a cousin who wanted to go to newbern but couldnt because he had DOWN SYNDROME...so dont be talkin about shi* u dont know nothing bout
Obviously she does, because I have seen several kids there with disabilities. SEVERAL. I know of one with autism, b/c he lives in my house. I know of another child with CP (I think) because he has to have help to walk. They are wonderful with children with disabilities. You don't know what you are talking about.

Sioux City, IA

#19 Aug 24, 2009
The only two schools in Dyer County that have a Special Ed is Holice Powell and Newbern none of the others.I wish they did because i live in finley district and i would love for him to be in school with his siblings.Newbern has a very good reputation for taking good care of our special kids my sister was in their special ed as a child and they were always good to her.
Danny

United States

#20 Aug 24, 2009
Get a lawyer pronto. Write all of the area news papers with your story. Email special education and autism blogs with your story and ask for help getting the word out about your story. Copy and paste the same letter to all of them if needed. Raise holy hell, but be respectful.

There are a lot of folks in the area that will help you, just don't give up if it takes a few boneheads to find them.

You might contact the yates foundation for autism in jackson and tell them your story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Divorce 4 min Married 1
Search for Missing Karen Swift (Oct '11) 2 hr Queue 106,015
Woodlawn street drug house 2 hr Guest 20
Pregnant and wild 4 hr Smh 1
Nice place to live 5 hr Cole 12
Google Topix lawsuits, anon posters are paying up 7 hr Michelle P 14
Florida or bust 7 hr Pennie Lane 5

Dyersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance