Do plans for rebate make grade?

Do plans for rebate make grade?

There are 9 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 25, 2008, titled Do plans for rebate make grade?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As lawmakers in Washington move closer to sending taxpayers a fat tax rebate check to boost the economy, people are starting to dream of what they might do with the money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

trickle down on THIS

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 25, 2008
Speaking of grades, I believe the average 5th grader would be able to figure out that this idiotic one-time cash injection is completely lame, desperate and doomed to failure. My only question is this: "Is our president smarter than a 5th grader?"
Terry

Maple Lake, MN

#2 Jan 26, 2008
$150 billion fiasco. Congress and the president should taken to the wood shed and whupped with a willow switch.
tattbear

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 26, 2008
Well, I think everyone agrees - except perhaps the president and the congress - that this is going to have very little effect and is just a very expense effort to appear as if they are on top of the situation. I'll take the money and be glad for it, but SPEND it??? You've got to be kidding! If I can I'll same it for when things get REALLY bad.....and since when is June or July an "immediate" stimulus! Too late, too little.
cyC

AOL

#4 Jan 26, 2008
If Senator Obama votes for this plan without including the poorest of senior citizens on fixed social security income, he will certainly NOT get my vote.
Grever

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 26, 2008
Your reporter states, "It might be smart on an individual level to put the money in the bank...but economists say that won't provide the short-term economic jolt the government's incentive package is supposed to provide."
Not true. Banks don't just park the money under the mattress. They lend it to businesses and individuals who
then spend the money, sometimes to purchase goods, sometimes to expand a business and maybe add jobs, therefore boosting the economy. Economics 101.
Adam

Chicago, IL

#6 Jan 26, 2008
For Terry, Tattbear and Trickle. What a bunch of sourpusses. Since you don't like the idea, send your
checks to me and I'll drink an orange juice toast to you as I boost the economy in Chicago and Florida.
Philip Peter

United States

#7 Jan 26, 2008
I have become quite angry that the House's proposal for tax refunds excludes seniors on Social Security. I hope that Senate's plan will fix that.
trickle down on THIS

Chicago, IL

#8 Jan 26, 2008
Adam wrote:
For Terry, Tattbear and Trickle. What a bunch of sourpusses. Since you don't like the idea, send your
checks to me and I'll drink an orange juice toast to you as I boost the economy in Chicago and Florida.
You know what? I will gladly send my check to some old sick guy in some freezing apartment trying to eke out his next cereal dinner on his social security check -- the very guy who doesn't get invited to this drunken frat party of token giveaways. I wish I would have known about that poor old man who just froze to death in his own apartment a couple of days ago and I would have paid his heating bill.
Faith Jacobson

Andover, MA

#9 Jan 28, 2008
Spending the money on travel CAN impact the US economy if the airline tickets and hotel stays are purchased though US based travel agents or US Based online travel providers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dyer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Brotherhood Mc (Feb '15) Oct 31 jjj 13
The poorly run city of Gary, Indiana (Mar '06) Oct 27 White family in gary 142
Highland Politics (Oct '07) Sep '17 truthhurts 6
News Erratic Driving Complaint Leads to Several Charges Sep '17 truthhurts 1
Ambulance contract Sep '17 cfarley11 1
Sara Lynn kerrick (besson) Sep '17 karma 2
Faith church (Sep '07) Aug '17 Sarge 48

Dyer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance