Family's pit bull attacks 3-year-old

Family's pit bull attacks 3-year-old

There are 29 comments on the Durham Herald story from Mar 7, 2007, titled Family's pit bull attacks 3-year-old. In it, Durham Herald reports that:

A 3-year-old girl is recovering from injuries she suffered Tuesday morning when a pit bull that belonged to her family attacked her in the yard of her East Trinity Avenue home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Durham Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
monica

San Antonio, TX

#22 Nov 13, 2007
chris wrote:
i have a pit bull an it is the best dog i have ever owned there great dogs and just so you know it any dog an heart a kid or anyone keep your dog off chains and may be they will stop tryin hurt u like u do them
an a pit bull is what i will own till the day i die
ok! lets just all pray that the day you do die is not from an attack from your precious pit bull!! hello!!!!!!!!!!
Lola

Buxton, ND

#23 Nov 13, 2007
I'm a very firm believer that ANY dog can be mean when raised in the right situation. I was apprehensive at first about owning a pit but now I can't imagine ever owning a different breed. My girl is the most mellow dog I have ever met and is scared of her own shadow. While I feel horrible for what has happened to people that have been "attacked" I feel that pits get a bad rap. There are many more dog attacks that go unreported because nobody wants to hear that a Golden Retriever or a Lab has bitten someone. To call a breed of dog killers is beyond ignorant. Any animal is unpredictable not just pit bulls. Raise them right and socialize them and I think they are easily one of the most loyal and sweet breeds.
pits of hell wrote:
As the neighbor of someone that has 6 very large pits,I can't begin to tell you the nightmare I've been subjected to over the past few years. These dogs have run loose many times, and yes they have chased me into my own home. On one occasion they even attacked the dog warden after he responded to my call for help. Sooner or later you'll be reading that his dogs have mauled or killed a child in our neighborhood. You idiots that insist on owning these unpredictable killers should all live together away from the rest of us. How many more people need to be mauled or killed??????? A lady in Florida was just killed by her 2 pit bulls that she raised from puppies. Supposedly they were friendly little pups. Hmm Glad it wasn't some innocent person! If you have them then you need to suffer the consequence, nobody else should
luv my pit bull

United States

#24 Dec 10, 2007
pits of hell wrote:
As the neighbor of someone that has 6 very large pits,I can't begin to tell you the nightmare I've been subjected to over the past few years. These dogs have run loose many times, and yes they have chased me into my own home. On one occasion they even attacked the dog warden after he responded to my call for help. Sooner or later you'll be reading that his dogs have mauled or killed a child in our neighborhood. You idiots that insist on owning these unpredictable killers should all live together away from the rest of us. How many more people need to be mauled or killed??????? A lady in Florida was just killed by her 2 pit bulls that she raised from puppies. Supposedly they were friendly little pups. Hmm Glad it wasn't some innocent person! If you have them then you need to suffer the consequence, nobody else should
Sounds to mer the owner of the dogs isn't responsible.I have 8 big pit's myself,I have a chain link and a privacy fence on the other side of that...why?....because the neighborhood kids were "poking" them through the fence with sticks.All of my dog's are friendly,they all have their own "temperment" level,I have 3 that I would trust around any kid...by themselves.BUT as a parent and responsible dog owner,that goes for any dog,I do not leave children unattended with my dog's,thats just plain stupid. I have other dogs in my heighborhood that have "nipped" at me while walking,bit my car tires ,so when I walk my dogs for THEIR protection I put on a muzzle,because even ifthe other dog was to attack first what do you think the headline would say? "Pitbull attacks dog while owner walking him".On pitbulllovers.com (i think) they did research on dog attacks and coverage from the media,4 attacks 1 pitbull the others were german shepard rotty, and mix.In the non pitbull cases there was significant damage if not death,the MOST coverage in any paper was local only,the pitbull attack,which was a "broken skin" type was in over 260 papers on NBC,CBS,CNN.....get the picture? PITBULL ATTACK SELLS,they are not the only dog's attacking they are the only dogs being ATTACKED. study and learn more about the breed,not just the media hype.
luv my pit bull

United States

#25 Dec 10, 2007
monica wrote:
<quoted text> ok! lets just all pray that the day you do die is not from an attack from your precious pit bull!! hello!!!!!!!!!!
ANY DOG CAN ATTACK,pitbull,mix,rotty.....g eeez,these dogs are the most LOYAL nad protective that I have ever owned,and the only breed that I will own from now on.People need to read,do reasearch on these dogs before putting something stupid on here like monica did.They will DOW HAT THE OWNERS WANT THEM TO DO....and they do it well,mine are protective ,especially over my kid's...what more do you want? Most cases of attack are chianed ,mistreated dog's,dog's that are made mean,just because someone had a dog for 2 yrs doesn't mean they treated it right,I mean petting it on the head when you feed it twice a day doesn't make for a good pet,my 8 stay inside at night and are outside at least 6hrs a day,they sit in the floor when we watch a movie or the kids will use them as pillows while watching T.V.,THINK ABOUT IT. pitbulllover.com lawdogsusa.com chk these out.
luv my pit bull

United States

#26 Dec 10, 2007
Dave wrote:
None of you seem to be too concerned about the 3 year old girl. The comment that Brandon made is beyond silliness. Blame the owner, blame the kid but not the dog? hahaha! give me a break!
hmmmm.yes the dog did attack......where does the parental responsibility come in....I guess if the kid ran out in front a car it would be the fault of the driver of the car,considering the kid can't read and didn't know the DANGER it was in by running in the street.Parent's should not let their child around ANY dog by itself,most dog's are intrigued by something that small.My son was bitten by a rotty when he was only 2mo old.The dog never shown aggression before,BUT he had never been around a kid before...he was more curious than anything and nipped his heel when he was crying.If you are going to have a child ,a dog or both,you have to be smart about it.
luv my pit bull

United States

#27 Dec 10, 2007
iamme wrote:
Let me preface the following comment...I have worked with animals all my life. Shelters/veterinary offices/farms. I KNOW that many animals are very trainable, some of those being pitbulls. In addition, most breeds of dogs have been bred for certain purposes. It is clear, and no one is arguing that pitbulls have been bred for aggressivity.
I was standing with my dog (who is ridiculously friendly and on a leash), talking to friends. An 8 month old male pit ran over to us and attacked my dog and me. It took nearly 10+ people to pull it off. The only thing that the police did was fine the owner for not having a dog license.
Let's be very clear. AN EIGHT MONTH OLD dog. While I won't disagree that there MIGHT be an owner situation here, one cannot argue that there must be a genetic predisposition for aggressivity for an EIGHT MONTH old dog to attack an adult large breed dog and a human.
And here is where I give my opinion. While I argue that many owners can make a difference in the life and level of aggressivity in pets, they cannot control genetic predisposition. Why on this earth would you want to own an animal that has a proclivity for attacking and killing? There are so many other breeds that do not have such a propensity. I find that those defending pitbulls provide anecdotal evidence that "their" dog is nice. That's not good enough. When up to 25% of dog attacks are carried out by a single breed (i.e. pitbulls) in a geographic area, there is something wrong. Something VERY wrong. If you are a rational, caring human being, please rethink your position. If you look at the statistics, and not your pet, you will see that pitbulls are statistically responsible for the largest (BY FAR) number of attacks in many many many geographic areas. And for the rest of us. Please, please, keep them leashed ON YOUR property and don't bring them in public, or, for god sake, to a dog park. That's like a shark w/ freshly cut up fish...
WELL.....you are one of the first vet's Ive spoken to that dislike pit's.I can see why though. Most vet's I have talked to would rather work on a injured pitbull than any other dog because usually no matter how much pain they are in they will not bite them.Now .."statistics"....Th e pitbull,thanks to all the media is becoming the new "DOG TO HAVE" ,there has been a great population increase of these dog's.The bad thing is alot are going to bad owners who want to sy they have a pitbull and put it on a chain or make it aggressive.I ended up with 2 pit's ,as pups.They are now 3 yrs old and the best dog's I have ever owned.We have set up at pet sotes in the triad are,we go to pet's mart religiously,the last time we were out a black german shepard mix and another dog started barking and growling at my pit....he just sat there next to me,didn't phase him a bit. I had customer come up to me,while the other dog's were doping this and said "what a good dog"...and he is,does he like small animals...yes he chased squirrels,does he love people,yes, he gives them tongue baths when we set up,people are more than happy to get on their knees and let him kiss them...he is 95lbs looks like he could eat a volkswagon but is gentle as can be.So are my 6 others that I have now...why? because we spend time with them as a family,with my kids.It makes a differance. eastcoastpitbullconnection.com he is on the front page
luv my pit bull

United States

#28 Dec 10, 2007
none wrote:
If people attacks and killings, on other people or even kids attacks and killings on other kids were on the same numbers as dogs attacks on people --- it be an amazingly improved world.
How many dogs and cats do we kill each year ?
Who is the beast ?
yep
Angela

Blackwood, NJ

#29 Feb 18, 2008
huh? w/e !!!
Jasmine

New Plymouth, New Zealand

#30 May 11, 2009
I agree with the pitbull lover. I love pitbulls as well. The first one I got was when I was ten years old, and the loyalty and intelligence they are made up of is out of this world. I agree that pitbulls have a bad rap because they are the only ones that are publicized when they attack. They have a ferocious bite but only bite if they are brought up in a way of attack. During the 9 years that we had her she never bit a soul but actually got bit by other dogs. The only time she showed any agression was when a con artist came to our house and was trying to rip us off and another time there was a child molester in the playground behind our house. She growled at a distance but never attacked. When she was around babies or little children she would stand on guard near them as if to protect them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Durham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRVIS HOllen 1 hr Lynn 1
trvis holland 1 hr Dolly 1
News Asheville city attorney Robin Currin resigns Sat Hon E Lizabeta Ma... 4
N.Carolina Republicans Ignore Climate Change.. ... Sep 19 Privilege 4
Dont Worry About Hurricane Florence Flood Damage Sep 19 The Man Flood 1
News Historian Karen Cox confronts Confederate monum... Sep 15 StrangeTruth 23
Afriggin Americans Sep 13 Friggin right on 6

Durham Jobs

Personal Finance

Durham Mortgages