Puerto Rico - Fun Facts

Puerto Rico - Fun Facts

There are 1259 comments on the Buzzle.com story from Aug 2, 2007, titled Puerto Rico - Fun Facts. In it, Buzzle.com reports that:

Puerto Rico-Fun Facts" speaks about Puerto Rico, one of the most beautiful countries in Latin America. via Buzzle.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buzzle.com.

Itorres

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#1280 Jul 24, 2012
From what I have researched, Don Bernardo Merle Guilfucci was born in Mayaguez, P.R. He married Amalia Reyes. His parents might have been born somewhere in France.
JQ240SX wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.., I'm gonna have to piece meal this to ya', since the comment board seems to only hold so much writing. Here it goes:
Well.., my ancestors were Dutch pirates out of Curacao. My last name is glorified on that Island as well as in the El Rucio area of Adjuntas/Penuelas. They call the area, where they farmed coffee, el cerrote de los Quirindongos.
I know you're gonna ask about the origins of that surname, so here we go. I believe the name is of Roman Pagan origin with a latin relexified Dutch ending. Understandably so, and given the colonial era's primitive technology, the Dutch slave traders were obsessed with thwarting off African and Christian Gods. More than likely, they did that to assure delivery of their at times illegal booty. I believe the first part of the name pays homage to the Roman Pagan God of War, Quirinus. Anyone versed in the World Classics knows that the 5th hill of Rome was the Quirinale, that housed the military and business aristocracy of that Empire. The last part is more than likely a latin relexification of the surname Donckers (pronounced "dongo" in Dutch).
Jans Doncker was an 18th century Dutch governor of Curacao, who went into the lucrative slave trade after his tenure. There is much folklore about my name and that particular governor to make the connection that he was more than likely my gggggg grandfather. He may have either been lost at sea or ended up in some squabble with the Spanish, that propelled him into fugitive status and then ended up in the mountains of Puerto Rico. It's hard to say definitively at this juncture, because my family just happens to go back so far into Puerto Rican and Caribbean history, but the available evidence points pretty much to the aforementioned.
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1281 Oct 26, 2012
JQ240SX wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey.., if you get down to Tijuana, go to Tacos Paolos, just at the bend where Calle Revolucion turns into Agua Caliente Blvd. Best tacos al pastor I've ever had, and I've eaten them everywhere in Mexico.
Those tacos al pastor are the bomb! yum.There are no places like that in Virginia :(
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1282 Oct 26, 2012
Edward Johnathan (EJ) Bonilla Actor

Guiding light, Don't let me drown
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1283 Oct 26, 2012
Felipe Rose of the Village People (singer)
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1284 Oct 26, 2012
Chuck Negron Three Dog Night 70's rock group
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1285 Oct 26, 2012
Gregory Sierra (actor) Barney Miller 70's tv sitcom
nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1286 Oct 26, 2012
Pricilla Lopez (actress)
Nubeluz

Culpeper, VA

#1287 Oct 27, 2012
Travis Pastrana MTV's Nitro Circus

Aubrey Plaza (actress)
TRUTH IS RELATIVE

Bear, DE

#1288 Oct 27, 2012
nubeluz wrote:
Chuck Negron Three Dog Night 70's rock group
He is Puerto Rican?
TRUTH IS RELATIVE

Bear, DE

#1289 Oct 27, 2012
Itorres wrote:
From what I have researched, Don Bernardo Merle Guilfucci was born in Mayaguez, P.R. He married Amalia Reyes. His parents might have been born somewhere in France.
<quoted text>
Whoa! How did I miss this post? Where did you get this information?
Don Bernanrdo Merle Guilfucci was my great great grandfather.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1290 Oct 27, 2012
TRUTH IS RELATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
He is Puerto Rican?
Yes, he is (Puerto Rican Father)

Location hidden

#1291 Oct 27, 2012
Jaime Tirelli (actor) movies Fort Apache The Bronx,Washington Heights,Carlitos Way,and Sugar
TRUTH IS RELATIVE

Bear, DE

#1292 Oct 27, 2012
Nubeluz wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, he is (Puerto Rican Father)
Wow! I love that group.

Location hidden

#1293 Oct 27, 2012
Michael De Lorenzo (Puerto Rican)appeared in the movie Fame from (1980) The part where Leroy (Gene Anthony Ray) is auditioning to make in to preforming arts high school,and also the lunch room scene while Irene Cara sings Hot lunch Jam.

Location hidden

#1294 Oct 27, 2012
Adrienne Bailon (Singer)groups 3LW,and The Cheetah Girls.

Location hidden

#1295 Oct 27, 2012
Freddie Prinze Sr. (actor) Chico and the man 70's tv sitcom.

Location hidden

#1296 Oct 27, 2012
Ramon Rodriguez (actor) The new Charlie's Angels,and Harlem Hostel- (movie)

Location hidden

#1297 Oct 27, 2012
Miguel Pinero (actor,poet,playwright) starred in the movie Short Eyes (1977) and the movie Fort Apache The Bronx (1981).He also started the Nuyorican Poets Cafe.

Location hidden

#1298 Oct 27, 2012
Lisa Velez (Lisa Lisa and the cult jam) 1980's freestyle group.

Location hidden

#1299 Oct 27, 2012
Here's a fun fact Andy Garcia(I know he's Cuban) made his first television appearance on the bilingual 70's comedy sitcom ?Que Pasa U.S.A?(1977)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Durango Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colorado's Durango & Silverton still the little... (Aug '09) Mon jetsetpeasant 4
Review: Black Bear Carpet Cleaning And Repair (Feb '15) Aug 18 Jeremy Ham 4
News The Latest: EPA head to visit New Mexico to add... Aug 14 goonsquad 12
News EPA: Colorado mine waste spill much larger than... Aug 12 Agents of Corruption 2
News Wastewater from Colorado mine flows toward New ... Aug 10 Elise Loves Rice 1
Karla Jean Phelps class of 87 Jul '15 Karen Foster 1
News Pot tax, Web ballots face test Jul '15 Mfrazier3 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Durango Mortgages