Hough Grade School
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
kalbers

Barre, VT

#1 Sep 7, 2009
Who out there remembers going to Hough school? It was the alternative to Dupo Grade and the Catholic school. It was small, but a lot of great kids went through there. The rooms upstairs (uppergrades) were so hot you roasted. Mr. Naumoff ate his peanuts constantly, sometimes if he ran out, we talked him into going across the street to Texico for him and buy some more? How crazy is that?? Mr. Naumoff was some sort of Russian immigrant, and was hard to understand, and wore the same sweaty shirt every day and spit peanuts at you if he got upset! Anyone out there???? kalbers
yupp

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Sep 7, 2009
I went to EC school but I remember in kindergarten we got to go there and play with the other kindergarten class and have snow cones and stuff. It was fun :).
kalbers

Barre, VT

#3 Sep 7, 2009
yupp wrote:
I went to EC school but I remember in kindergarten we got to go there and play with the other kindergarten class and have snow cones and stuff. It was fun :).
I don't remember that happening, that could've been after I was there. Did you go to Dupo jr and sr high after that?
Hough

Waterloo, IL

#4 Sep 7, 2009
I went to Hough starting in 75. I don't remember Mr. Naumoff. I had Ms. Pleasant, Mrs. Womble, Mrs. Duarte. Hard to remember...it was such a long time ago. Mrs. Horn was our principal. Remember the fire escape from the top floor that burned your rear when it was hot outside? I also remember the big field where we had Easter egg hunts. I took my daughter to play on the playground before it was torn down. The field didn't seem so big anymore.
kalbers

Barre, VT

#5 Sep 7, 2009
Hough wrote:
I went to Hough starting in 75. I don't remember Mr. Naumoff. I had Ms. Pleasant, Mrs. Womble, Mrs. Duarte. Hard to remember...it was such a long time ago. Mrs. Horn was our principal. Remember the fire escape from the top floor that burned your rear when it was hot outside? I also remember the big field where we had Easter egg hunts. I took my daughter to play on the playground before it was torn down. The field didn't seem so big anymore.
I went there way earlier than you, starting Kindergarten in '63. I'm surprised Mrs. Womble and Mrs.Pleasant were still there when you were. Mrs. Womble seemed really strict. We had Mr. Merkel for a principal. I do remember the fire escape, it was scary when we had to do fire drills!!
Hough

Waterloo, IL

#6 Sep 7, 2009
My brother had Mrs. Womble also and he is 4 years younger than me. She died of cancer some time ago. I heard Mrs. Pleasant had a nervous breakdown. I think that we were one of her last classes. I had Mr. Merkley as a high school science teacher.
yupp

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Sep 7, 2009
kalbers wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember that happening, that could've been after I was there. Did you go to Dupo jr and sr high after that?
Yes, I just graduated this year. I was in kindergarten in 1996 so I'm not sure when they started taking kids there or when they stopped.
railroader

Waterloo, IL

#8 Sep 7, 2009
Hough wrote:
we went there the same time remember Mr. Ross ?
Tearik

Waterloo, IL

#9 Sep 8, 2009
I was apart of the last class that graduated from there. The year 2000 thousand. If you were in my class there, then you know that we all had to walk up three flights of stairs every freaking year. I had good times there.
long gone

Marietta, GA

#10 Sep 8, 2009
I went to 1st and 2nd grade at Hough....mid to late 70's...

I heard they disassembled the old school house and rebuilt it somewhere down in Louisiana as part of a historical district....something about the brickwork matching what the LA town was looking to do...

Anyone know if that's true or not...I hope that old school found new life....
kalbers

Barre, VT

#11 Sep 8, 2009
Hough wrote:
My brother had Mrs. Womble also and he is 4 years younger than me. She died of cancer some time ago. I heard Mrs. Pleasant had a nervous breakdown. I think that we were one of her last classes. I had Mr. Merkley as a high school science teacher.
My sister had Mrs. Womble, I had Mrs. Piepers in 3rd. Ms. Pleasant was so sweet, I don't think she could handle the stress!
kalbers

Barre, VT

#12 Sep 8, 2009
railroader wrote:
<quoted text> we went there the same time remember Mr. Ross ?
I loved Mr. Ross, he seemed to be the tallest man in the world. He was very sweet though. I had him in 5th grade, Mr. Naumoff in 6th. Did you have Naumoff? He was an odd duck.
kalbers

Barre, VT

#13 Sep 8, 2009
Tearik wrote:
I was apart of the last class that graduated from there. The year 2000 thousand. If you were in my class there, then you know that we all had to walk up three flights of stairs every freaking year. I had good times there.

I graduated in 69 from 6th grade. I do remember those long flights of steps and those wide windows which always seemed to be open. What a great place!
kalbers

Barre, VT

#14 Sep 8, 2009
long gone wrote:
I went to 1st and 2nd grade at Hough....mid to late 70's...
I heard they disassembled the old school house and rebuilt it somewhere down in Louisiana as part of a historical district....something about the brickwork matching what the LA town was looking to do...
Anyone know if that's true or not...I hope that old school found new life....
Wow, that's great, I hope it was "resurrected" to new life again.
railroader

Waterloo, IL

#15 Sep 8, 2009
kalbers wrote:
<quoted text>
I loved Mr. Ross, he seemed to be the tallest man in the world. He was very sweet though. I had him in 5th grade, Mr. Naumoff in 6th. Did you have Naumoff? He was an odd duck.
I believe i had Mr. Edwards...I stayed in touch with Miss Pleasant up until a couple of years ago and cant find her number listed in the phone book, she lived in Belleville. She was a awesome lady .
kalbers

Barre, VT

#16 Sep 8, 2009
railroader wrote:
<quoted text> I believe i had Mr. Edwards...I stayed in touch with Miss Pleasant up until a couple of years ago and cant find her number listed in the phone book, she lived in Belleville. She was a awesome lady .
I heard she had a nervous breakdown.
Dupo dad20

United States

#17 Sep 8, 2009
2nd grade had Mrs Hemingway, Sheryl Lynn
kalbers

Barre, VT

#18 Sep 8, 2009
Wow, I had her too. I thought she was so pretty. I remember one of her songs, something about red wine. I wonder how far she went in the music business.
pico

Waterloo, IL

#19 Sep 8, 2009
does anyone remember who mrs. hoover was? she always bragged about herself to her 2nd graders i remember she also wore a ton of jewelry mrs. smitt was always my favorite teacher she was 3rd grade if i remember correctly
mom

Waterloo, IL

#20 Sep 8, 2009
Dupo dad20 wrote:
2nd grade had Mrs Hemingway, Sheryl Lynn
She was my fav.She came to my barbie doll birthday party in second grade.She quit teaching to become a singer.She did have a 45 record with her songs.DQ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dupo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
July 4th Shooting on Mcbride Ave. Dupo IL 5 min Lockettboy 11
Problems on Godin for Christmas 2 hr Jason 5
Rollo's momma 7 hr MW SUCKET 9
No Santa on Godin this year Sat Mike Wilson 7
Christmas on Godin Dec 3 ha ha 2
craft fair Dec 3 Brian Buttlicker 3
Weird smell on Godin today Dec 3 sniff this 2

Dupo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance