First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Question

Waterloo, IL

#1 Mar 16, 2008
Why do I look at the other town on topix and see that they dont bash the leaders and police. Look at columbia, the towns three times bigger and they dont have many discusions. I wonder if we dont have a life? Maybe the columbia people are too busy doing homework with their kids and spending time with them. Some of us are too consumed in "TOPIX". Im not busting on anyone, just something to think about. The only other town is cahokia, they bust everyone out. DO WE WANT TO BE LIKE CAHOKIA, we sure look like we do when someone looks at our town on topix.....
Dupo Fan

Waterloo, IL

#2 Mar 16, 2008
Personally I thought topix would be a good venue for people to get involved in our city.An exchange of information and trying to help each other if we can.But your right question...it seems that I spend more time defending Dupo from small minded people that seem to want to constantly criticise this town.Hopefully there will be enough people that can hopefully make this thing work with honest and helpful conversation.I have always enjoyed meeting new friends...but I find myself not wanting to be friends with some of these people and their negative attitudes.Won't stop me from trying though I guess.
Question

Waterloo, IL

#3 Mar 16, 2008
Dupo Fan, I feel the same way. I am tired of beating a dead horse. I continue to defend our town, but it now seems that its impossible. Any sugestions?
Dupo Fan

Waterloo, IL

#4 Mar 16, 2008
Keep fighting the good fight'question..lol..guess as long as there are at least two of us that would like to be more involved and helpful in the community,we'll just keep plodding on, right?Just have to keep dusting off those undesirables by just not replying to their negative responses...not that one can't be critical,but do it in a respectable way.
Venting

Waterloo, IL

#5 Mar 17, 2008
Why are you two suprised at the context of these post? Sometimes people just need to vent, no matter how silly it sounds. From what I read there are some helpful post and some not so helpful post. All in all they are funny and should be taken that way. It is always best to get the dirty laundry out there. It sounds honest to me. We have nothing to hide. It would be foolish to think that other towns don't have the same topics, we just talk about ours. Again we are being honest about it. I have no doubt that we all would fight for our town.(Critical part) So get off your high horses.(Respectable part) Keep up the good fight.
Dupo Fan

Waterloo, IL

#6 Mar 17, 2008
I can agree with you somewhat 'Venting',but to say that "all in all they are all funny and should be taken that way" is quite a stretch.Some are mean spirited,spiteful,and some just plain stupid.You say that it all sounds honest...again I disagree.We all probably have something to hide,but that doesn't give people a right to call a person out by name,insult them,ridicule them, and then hide behind a chosen name like a coward.To much of that goes on.I like humor probably more than most,and get a kick out of some posts that are meant to be silly.Thats not what I'm griping about.As far as the high horse thing,maybe you're right,maybe my expectations are a little to 'lofty' for some.But then,I am Dupo's biggest fan,am I expecting to much?
white in dupo

Columbia, IL

#7 Mar 17, 2008
MOST OF THESE POST SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT PEOPLE USE REAL NAMES IN THEIR POST. THAT IS CARRYING IT A LITTLE FAR, EVEN IN JOKING.
Venting

Waterloo, IL

#8 Mar 20, 2008
There's and old saying, and maybe I came up with it myself, who knows. Go's something like this
"Ignore Ignorance"
you said

Waterloo, IL

#9 Mar 20, 2008
I agree Dupo Fan
Dupo Fan

Waterloo, IL

#10 Mar 20, 2008
To 'ignore ignorance' might work for you....but I tend to try to 'enlighten ignorance,.It's worth a little try.If they don't get it...nothing lost..nothing gained.
you said

Waterloo, IL

#11 Mar 23, 2008
why bash people that get it done!

Since: Mar 08

EAST CARONDELET, ILLINOIS

#12 Mar 24, 2008
Honestly, after reading in all 3 cities posting areas (Dupo,E.C.,& Cahokia), I haven't seen much difference in bashing.. Except it seems that some posts in the Cahokia forums are quite a bit harsher with the bashing... But the simiarity within all 3 cities is people bashing on other, whether they are just normal citizens or people that are involved with the police dept.,fire dept, or they are city officials, on a personal level.. Putting their names & personal business all over the internet... Man, I'm sure if the tables were turned, some wouldn't appreciate their personal business all over the web.. I can understand venting about who or what you don't like or you strongly disagree with but why take it on such a personal level?? If you don't like something in the city you reside in, then do something about it 'cause complaining about it without action will get nothing accomplished... I was never a resident of Dupo but I went to school there & hung out there all my life & I don't have a bad word to say about Dupo, It always has been a great area to raise our kids...Up until 3 yrs ago, I was raised in E.C. & yeah they got our own problems on the other side of the tracks but still bashing individuals from your computer will get nothing done... I hope 1 day to move back to the area...
yeah

Columbia, IL

#13 Apr 7, 2008
Question wrote:
Why do I look at the other town on topix and see that they dont bash the leaders and police. Look at columbia, the towns three times bigger and they dont have many discusions. I wonder if we dont have a life? Maybe the columbia people are too busy doing homework with their kids and spending time with them. Some of us are too consumed in "TOPIX". Im not busting on anyone, just something to think about. The only other town is cahokia, they bust everyone out. DO WE WANT TO BE LIKE CAHOKIA, we sure look like we do when someone looks at our town on topix.....
I totally agree we should be on here figuring what each of us can do to improve this town not what other people have done to you personally, or just putting people down in general
Get Real People

United States

#14 Apr 7, 2008
Many people bash the town because they can't get over Dupo. They used to live in Cahokia or Dupo and still want to be in on the gossip. They like trashing the town because it makes them feel better about not being there. Being from Columbia is not that much better than Dupo. When you get out of Southern Illinois, Columbia is just a small hick town as well. All of the same things are going on there - drugs, people who can't spell - all the same. These people think they are living large because they moved from Dupo to the next town south. Get real.
Dupo Fan

Waterloo, IL

#15 Apr 7, 2008
I still feel these topix forums are a great way to get involved in your community.I still think alot of president Kennedy's words.."Think not what your country can do for you..but what you can do for your country",..or city.I've been going to dupo board meeteings for 27 years,not because I have a beef..or need something..just civic duty.I've held an elected position for 15 years not because I wanted the position,but because I thought that I could improve that position.Same thing on the appointed position.I didn't particularly want to chair the zoning board,but was more or less placed on the zoning board,and then elected to chair it by the other members.The pay or the so called power was not important..just that I was helping.It's time for others to do the same.I'm sure that there are people that are well educated that read these posts,and that they could provide much help and guidance to the community.And if anyone,maybe with a couple of exceptions,would like to run for my position,I would be more than happy to take you around,show you everything I know,and wish you luck.Just get involved a little....Dupo has suffered greatly from people not getting involved.
Jack

Akron, OH

#16 Apr 8, 2008
Get Real People wrote:
Many people bash the town because they can't get over Dupo. They used to live in Cahokia or Dupo and still want to be in on the gossip. They like trashing the town because it makes them feel better about not being there. Being from Columbia is not that much better than Dupo. When you get out of Southern Illinois, Columbia is just a small hick town as well. All of the same things are going on there - drugs, people who can't spell - all the same. These people think they are living large because they moved from Dupo to the next town south. Get real.
Well, let me see here Dupo's median family income $47000 Columbia's $69053 Dupo's school ranking from 1-10 is a "4" Columbia "10" as on www.greatschools.net Median house value in Dupo $92,500 median in Columbia $137,500 High School Football record for Dupo 0-10 and for Columbia 13-1---------Looks like they are living better to me there Chief
so_what

Columbia, IL

#17 Apr 8, 2008
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>Well, let me see here Dupo's median family income $47000 Columbia's $69053 Dupo's school ranking from 1-10 is a "4" Columbia "10" as on www.greatschools.net Median house value in Dupo $92,500 median in Columbia $137,500 High School Football record for Dupo 0-10 and for Columbia 13-1---------Looks like they are living better to me there Chief
who cares? we all know the columbia has higher income, and their property is worth more so what, these stats prove nothing to any of us. Does the football record make the town better?, NO.
Hello

United States

#18 Apr 8, 2008
Oh wow - those numbers are so far apart. I said "not that much better." You can compare Columbia to Ladue and Clayton and see what kind of numbers come up. The people in Columbia couldn't even come close to the home values and money that are across the river. My point is just what I said "not that much better."
UUUUhhhhhh NOOOOOO

Columbia, MO

#19 Apr 9, 2008
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>Well, let me see here Dupo's median family income $47000 Columbia's $69053 Dupo's school ranking from 1-10 is a "4" Columbia "10" as on www.greatschools.net Median house value in Dupo $92,500 median in Columbia $137,500 High School Football record for Dupo 0-10 and for Columbia 13-1---------Looks like they are living better to me there Chief
Not really- same problems- more expensive scale, and many more people to give the bigger town a worse name. Plus taxes are going up up up on them too...sorry for all those folks who moved to escape them. Besides, those numbers are actually pretty close.
No Need For Names

Columbia, IL

#20 Apr 16, 2008
You know what I see? It is not Dupo bashing Dupo. All these comments seem to be coming from everyone but Dupo so mind your business. And as far as the drugs and stuff, I hate to say but Columbia is supplying most of our Dupo kids. That is not trying to bash back, that is the truth. So clean up your own back yard before you start jumping in ours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dupo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I D channel 52 min Rollo 4
Rollo gets out trolled 1 hr Prarie Bridge Devil 9
Thursday Open Weight Challenge on Godin 6 hr Rollo 3
Is dupo a racist town? (Aug '08) Jan 14 Seer 49
anyone know tony finchen?? (Jul '10) Jan 9 Anonymous 38
Yard Jerker Jan 7 Goober gobbler Mike 5
Moving back Jan 6 Rollo 23

Dupo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance