Raleigh assistant principal faces 24 ...

Raleigh assistant principal faces 24 sex charges in Harnett

There are 41 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 16, 2007, titled Raleigh assistant principal faces 24 sex charges in Harnett. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A former assistant principal at a Raleigh high school has been charged with 24 counts of sexual offense, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Thomas Hutchinson

Monomoy Island, MA

#1 Feb 18, 2007
Well, this story is woefully incomplete.
Veridicus

Allentown, PA

#2 Feb 18, 2007
Since it is not indicated that the "boy" himself complained, perhaps we should consider the bidirectional emotional attraction and bonding between boys and unrelated older males that is as old as history, and most likely older. An older unrelated male is not saddled with the responsibility of supervising, judging, or disciplining a boy as a father would be, and is more likely to appear to the boy as an equal, someone who cares for him out of choice rather than necessity, and with whom absolutely anything can be discussed, even the boy's burgeoning sexuality. If this closeness leads to consensual sexual exploration and enjoyment, there are no valid reasons why any intrinsic harm should ensue. Unwanted sex which is forced upon an unwilling boy can, however, be harmful, but despite misleading media reports, this is rare, and the vast majority of harm that we see today is extrinsic to the relationship. Neither is there any empirical evidence that such boyhood experimentation will "cause" the boy to become homosexual or pedosexual, or will have any other significant effect on the boy's eventual primary sexual preferences, this misconception has long since been debunked. The "abuse" of boys' sexuality rarely comes directly from their consensual - and often self-initiated - explorations with older males, it most often comes indirectly from self-righteous, perhaps well-intentioned, but tragically misinformed and misguided individuals and groups who claim to be "helping" the boy while succeeding only in traumatizing him.

“Dimensions Beyond Left & Right”

Since: Feb 07

Asheville

#3 Feb 19, 2007
Sexual experimentation of teens with teens is a normal activity. But when its a 57-year-old man and a teenage kid, that's called pedophilia. It doesn't matter if the child is male or female, its peodphilia. And its illegal as well as damaging to the child.

Old men with the need to prey on children sexually may need mental health care, but they don't need access to more children. This assistant principal needs to be put under the jail.

Asheville

#4 Feb 19, 2007
Geeze, re-reading the article, this child was being sexually abused beginning 8 years ago -- at the age of 12. And this assistant principal was in a parental role in the home of the child he was abusing.

So, Veridicus, you think that the 12-year-old boy likely initiated sex with this old man?! I suppose that is the excuse pedophiles use -- "The child wanted it; The child seduced me; The child made me do it."
Hunter

Anderson, SC

#5 Feb 19, 2007
Confusing. do they mean the boy was living with the perp?...

In another real life story, set in a small town in NC, there is a retired, remarkably attractive 87 year old female schoolteacher, one of my mother's lifelong friends, who was screwing her 26 year old male dance instructor. NO LIE! She forced him to have sex a number of times according to him. Is this rape?
Thomas Hutchinson

Walpole, MA

#6 Feb 19, 2007
What sorts of sexual offense are alleged to have occurred? Has the young man provided evidence and what pressures, if any, have been placed on him to do so?

AshevilleNative wrote: "Sexual experimentation of teens with teens is a normal activity."

In many states that is as illegal as adult with teen sexual activity including consensual touching, called molestation even when no one felt bothered.

Making criminals out of children for consensual sexual activity is evil.

LINKS http://www.currentargus.com/ci_4783650
http://www.sheboygan-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...
http://www.news4jax.com/news4georgia/10990608...
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/s...
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php...
http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special12//...
http://www.winonatimes.com/articles/2006/12/2...
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories...
http://www.crescent-news.com/news/article/154...
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/L/levine_harm...
http://www.dollandassociates.com/sexuality.ht...
Veridicus

Allentown, PA

#7 Feb 19, 2007
Harris Mirkin, noted author of The Patterns of Sexual Politics (1999, Journal of Homosexuality 37 2), has noted that "... laws seemingly designed for the protection of the young are really intended to control them." Bruce Rind et al have demonstrated that the majority of sexual contacts between boys and older person are non-negative (1998, A Meta-Analytic Examination of Assumed Properties of Child Sexual Abuse Using College Samples. Psychological Bulletin 124 1), and David Riegel has conducted research indicating that such contacts do not predispose to pedosexuality (2004, "Abused to Abuser": An examination of New Non-Clinical and Non-Prison Data. Journal of Psychology and Human Sexuality 18 4). Additionally, Larry Constantine has observed that "Negative reactions of parents [and other adults]... to a child's sexual encounters, aside from their function of inducing guilt, can be ... the most psychonoxious aspect of the entire experience (1981, The Effects of Early Sexual Experiences. In Children and Sex, Constantine, L. and Martinson, F.(Eds.) Boston: Little, Brown, and Company). All of these can be verified with a Google search on the names or article titles.
Enka Chick

Redmond, WA

#8 Feb 19, 2007
Hunter wrote:
Confusing. do they mean the boy was living with the perp?...
In another real life story, set in a small town in NC, there is a retired, remarkably attractive 87 year old female schoolteacher, one of my mother's lifelong friends, who was screwing her 26 year old male dance instructor. NO LIE! She forced him to have sex a number of times according to him. Is this rape?
This is funny. How can an 87 year old woman force a obviously healthy (physically)26 year old male to have sex? And no, it is not rape..considering 'a number of times'. OMG!! this is so funny!! Just what kind of dancing this this guy teach? La Bamba with a cane?? ROFLMFAO

Asheville

#9 Feb 19, 2007
Thomas Hutchinson wrote:
Making criminals out of children for consensual sexual activity is evil.
In no way am I suggesting that a 12-year-old child who was sexually molested by an old man makes the child a criminal. The old man is the criminal. A 12-year-old child cannot "consent" to sex.

Asheville

#10 Feb 19, 2007
Hunter wrote:
She forced him to have sex a number of times according to him. Is this rape?
Forced sex is rape, regardless of the age or genders of those involved.
PennDutch

Annapolis, MD

#11 Feb 19, 2007
Running down more stories from other sources, we find that Mr. Jewell's wife filed to bar him from their home within minutes of his being charged. We also find that the criminal complaint came from an "aunt," and not from the boy who is now an adult. While none of us really knows, a very possible scenario here is that the relationship between Mr. Jewell and the unnamed - and so far non-complaining - boy was completely consensual, but that these two women took it upon themselves to file complaints in a plot to destroy Mr. Jewell for whatever reasons. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and, if the "boy" refuses to complain or testify, if these charges will have to be dropped for lack of evidence.

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/544214....
Enka Chick

Redmond, WA

#12 Feb 19, 2007
A.N., be reasonable here--an 87 year old woman forcing a 26 year old male. I don't think so.

Of course I am comparing an 88 year old grandmother that I know to this one and there is no way man.(I still find this funny)

Like has been said time and time again--anybody who is caught messing with children should be shot on the spot.

Asheville

#13 Feb 19, 2007
Enka Chick wrote:
A.N., be reasonable here--an 87 year old woman forcing a 26 year old male. I don't think so.
Generally speaking, I don't think an 87-year-old could force a 26-year-old either, unless a gun or other forms of threat or coercion were involved. All I'm saying is that, if it really is forced sex, it really is rape.
Enka Chick wrote:
Like has been said time and time again--anybody who is caught messing with children should be shot on the spot.
Definitely agree on this point.
PennDutch

Annapolis, MD

#14 Feb 19, 2007
Question for Enka Chick and AshevilleNative: Since you advocate vigilantism against those whose views on sexuality you do not share, did you approve of the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard because he was gay? After all, "gay" male homosexuality is nothing more than sublimated, redirected, and time displaced "boy love."

Asheville

#15 Feb 19, 2007
Wrong on both counts, PennDutch. First, neither heterosexuality nor homosexuality have anything to do with what you call "boy love" -- that's child abuse and/or pedophilia. And it scars those children for life. Most reported acts of pedophilia are committed against little girls by old men. But there are of course numerous incidents of old men preying on little boys too.

Next, you've made an assumption that I "advocate vigilantism against those whose views on sexuality [I] do not share." And you're incorrect on that assumption. You can have all the views, perspectives and beliefs you want. However, when an adult rapes or otherwise sexually molests a child, that person is set up to receive all the penalties for that action. Legal penalties are fine with me and it would appear this assistant principal who sexually abused a 12-year-old child is set up to face those penalties. And when child rapists go to prison, the other men there are known to add a few penalities beyond the jail sentence itself. Case in point -- John Geoghan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Geoghan
Enka Chick

Redmond, WA

#16 Feb 19, 2007
PennDutch wrote:
Question for Enka Chick and AshevilleNative: Since you advocate vigilantism against those whose views on sexuality you do not share, did you approve of the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard because he was gay? After all, "gay" male homosexuality is nothing more than sublimated, redirected, and time displaced "boy love."
Hold on there one minute. I have not said anything about ones sexuality. If you are gay--I don't care. BUT if you take out your urgings on a child, then I do care. History is full of 'gay' practice. and I will tell you something else, do what ever floats your boat, just leave the children alone.

And there should be more vigilantes in the world for the sake of the children.

Something else you said, "After all, "gay" male homosexuality is nothing more than sublimated, redirected, and time displaced "boy love."[/

Are you sure about that?
PennDutch

Annapolis, MD

#17 Feb 19, 2007
AN has done an excellent job of demonstrating his ignorance of the interconnected and overlapping aspects of human sexuality. He also has failed to note - or is unable to grasp - the significance of the citations posted above by Veridicus, to which I would add the observation by Dr. Marty Seligman that "children are amazing resilient." If a boy is "scarred" by a non-violent sexual encounter with an older male - and the vast majority of boy/older male encounters meet this criterion - it is not from the experience itself, but from the "[n]egative reactions of parents [and other adults]... to a child's sexual encounters,[which] aside from their function of inducing guilt, can be ... the most psychonoxious aspect of the entire experience"(cf. Constantine above). Precisely the iatrogenically harmful reactions that AN champions.

AN also spotlights his inconsistency by claiming to disavow vigilantism, and then applauding the vigilantism that resulted in the violent and uncalled for murder of John Geoghan.

There is no hope that people like AN can be engaged in a rational discussion - they have made up their minds based on unsupported and insupportable assumptions and superstitions, and they refuse to be bothered by facts. I therefore have no intention of tilting at AN's ridiculous windmills any further, and can only hope that the intelligent and rational people who read this forum will attend to the discussion rather than to his perverted and pejorative assertions.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Location hidden

#18 Feb 19, 2007
PennDutch, would you care to put all of that in plain english?

Was John Geoghan a child molester/abuser? I seem to remember something about it, but cannot understand what you are getting at. It appears from the forum that he was gay and was killed--for being gay? or for being a child molester?
Alexandre

Colorado Springs, CO

#19 Feb 19, 2007
The widely held American belief that intergenerational relationships are always inherently harmful to the younger party is another myth based in Puritan morality and not supported by scientific research. It is similar to the nineteenth century myth that childhood masturbation caused mental and physical disorders. After spending two hundred years trying to stamp out childhood masturbation (employing various forms of mental and physical cruelty), Americans finally began to realize that teaching sexual guilt was psychologically harmful to children. Allowing children to fantasize about sex was actually beneficial for it laid a healthy psychological foundation for a guilt free happy adult sex life.

The sex abuse witch hunt of the last thirty years has brought to light a phenomenon that falls outside the American understanding of human sexuality, i.e., there is a lot more to human sexuality than the Puritan prescribed belief that sex is only for procreation. Biologists know that the higher the intellectual development of a species, the greater the variety of sexual behaviors engaged in. Only lower life forms, such as fish, have sex only for procreation.

Every boy growing up in America today has been warned on a daily basis to be on the lookout for "sexual predators" who might "molest him". But yet, every day we read about adolescent boys having consensual sex with these "predators". Apparently certain boys indeed are on the lookout for such men and apparently deriving an emotional and psychological benefit from the relationships?

Of course, most Americans will never accept this as a possible explanation of these incidents because their indoctrination with negative sexual attitudes, from birth, keeps them from getting beyond their Puritan trauma. The result is a myopic view and limited understanding of human sexuality, believing that the only correct view of human sexuality is the American Puritan view, everything else is morally wrong and how dare anyone question these beliefs. This culturally based moral absolutism can be vary dangerous and destructive to civilization as a whole. The execution of gay teenagers by the state in the fundamentalist Islamic countries in the Middle East is justified by similar religiously based moral absolutism. An interesting set of mores -(murder is considered perfectly moral while harmless consensual sex is considered such an abomination that it deserves capital punishment).

Right here in America, thousands of gay youth, over the decades, have been driven to suicide because they had it pounded into their heads that being gay was sinful, abnormal and sick. Right here in America, thousands of children and teenagers have been forced into therapy for merely playing doctor with a peer and labeled as sexual predators, all to the benefit of the extremely powerful and lucrative child abuse industry.

A good exercise in critical thinking skills would be a cultural anthropological study of human sexuality to discover the wide range of sexual behaviors that humans, including children, have enjoyed for many centuries,. Do we want to protect young people from true sexual abuse, or just continue protecting Western culture's sexual neurosis?

Asheville

#20 Feb 19, 2007
Mtnbred, John Geoghan was a (defrocked) Catholic priest and a convicted child molester. He was a central figure in the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandel. Here is a CNN article on it:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/23/geoghan/inde...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any hot EMS play? Jan 7 Student 1
News Police: Town officer didn't called woman 'half ... Dec 24 Privilege 1
*~*!! Last Post Wins !!*~* (Dec '12) Nov '17 _FLATLINE-------- 16
News Florida man searches for missing son in Benson (Jan '17) Nov '17 Set Them On Fire 4
Dunn Music Thread (Jan '16) Nov '17 texas pete 4
pat godwin (May '09) Nov '17 Knows 7
News Man reported missing in Benson (Jan '17) Sep '17 Honesty 2

Dunn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dunn Mortgages