Chattanooga Times Free Press | Jail b...

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Jail band's music is a ministry

There are 24 comments on the www.timesfreepress.com story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Chattanooga Times Free Press | Jail band's music is a ministry. In it, www.timesfreepress.com reports that:

The inmates of Sequatchie County Jail have something to sing about. So much so, they have formed a group called Free on the Inside.

"These people are incarcerated; they're locked up. But when you are born again, then you are free on the inside. That represented who they are," he said. "We keep punishing people and all we do is build up bigger jails. So why don't we try a different approach? This is the one we're doing. And it's changing lives." Corrina Sisk-Casson is based in Sequatchie County. Contact her at [email protected]

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.timesfreepress.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#1 Oct 21, 2009
I am tone deaf so I would have to do hard time .I doubt this is justice served . How much does this cost the taxpayers ?
Willie

Pikeville, TN

#2 Oct 21, 2009
What a bunch of crap.Where do these convict sing?dunbasses running the jail.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 Oct 21, 2009
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/jan/2...

"Andy Bickford, a 32-year-old Pikeville, Tenn., native serving a sentence for vehicular homicide, said the ministry helped him patch up relations with some of his loved ones.

A string of crimes, including the slaying of his father in 1995, has kept him in jail for most of his adult life, he said."

This guy should not be allowed to roam the streets . Patricide , homicide and whatever other crimes he committed make him a good candidate for prison , not a ministry .
its a pathetic joke

Cordova, SC

#4 Oct 21, 2009
go ask where carla is now after getting caught having sex at the old middle school.im not against church but she was just playing them. she had it made there and screwed it all up. she had her own private room that was carpeted had keys to come and go as she pleased, she even had access to a vehicle. it takes a dumbass to screw that up!!!! she had it made in there and now shes sitting in prison to finish her sentence.
MOUNTAINAIRE

Dunlap, TN

#5 Oct 21, 2009
People are in jail for a reason. They broke the law and are there supposidly to be punished for their crimes. However, this seems not to be the case according to Sheriff Hitchcock and how he runs his jail. This Sheriff is running his prison like a variety show. How dare he allow a savage two time murderer to join in the fun and participate in public! This is a complete mockery of not only the law, but to the victims of their crimes that cannot speak. The boy Bickford killed under the infulence of drugs and alcohol also played guitar, but he no longer has a voice to lift in song. Sheriff Hitchcock, take heed. Your actions speak volumes to the people who elected you.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 22, 2009
its a pathetic joke wrote:
go ask where carla is now after getting caught having sex at the old middle school.im not against church but she was just playing them. she had it made there and screwed it all up. she had her own private room that was carpeted had keys to come and go as she pleased, she even had access to a vehicle. it takes a dumbass to screw that up!!!! she had it made in there and now shes sitting in prison to finish her sentence.
I thought that was the same person . "Fair weather Christian"
I can't carry a tune , I guess i would get hard time .
Randy

United States

#7 Oct 28, 2009
Go to youtube to see and hear the video of a mother of one of the people that Andy killed taping CLINT WALKER at the jail about Andy getting the run of the jail AND the city of Dunlap.
whatever

Brandywine, MD

#8 Jan 23, 2010
u jackasses dont understand. putting people in a cell and keeping them there is not always the best option. after there sentence is done they are still the same person. they need there life changed. remember high school, and junior high? did detention really stop everybody from breaking the rules?
xxxxxxx

Cordova, SC

#9 Jan 23, 2010
whatever wrote:
u jackasses dont understand. putting people in a cell and keeping them there is not always the best option. after there sentence is done they are still the same person. they need there life changed. remember high school, and junior high? did detention really stop everybody from breaking the rules?
i totally agree
whatever

Brandywine, MD

#10 Jan 23, 2010
thank you! someone!
ur the jackass

United States

#11 Jan 23, 2010
whatever wrote:
u jackasses dont understand. putting people in a cell and keeping them there is not always the best option. after there sentence is done they are still the same person. they need there life changed. remember high school, and junior high? did detention really stop everybody from breaking the rules?
Well Hunny, let me enlighten you. THIS IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL, This is LIFE. You break the law and get sent to prison, Do your freaking time..Dont claim to be a Christian and get saved and they let you out, and you commit the same crimes over and over, this is what these people are doing. They are laughing all the way home when they get released. They pulled one over on the authorities. Everybody is sick of the way the Jail is being run, stick to the guidelines.. Geez, Is that so hard for any elected official to do. I'm sick of you people defending criminals, just shows you where you're loyalty is. Maybe they should stick your butt in Prison..I know a couple of these people that were"SAVED" in jail, and they were set free. They dont pick up a bible or worship God, they just did it to get out of jail.. Read the DunlapTattler, the same people keep getting arrested for the same thing, over and over and over.. It's sickening the way this jail is run. Why cant anyone run this jail professionally? Are we going to have to elect an out-of-towner to see some proffesionalism in this town? Quit defending the Criminals

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#12 Jan 24, 2010
I think the question that begs to be answered is where is the system failing to live up to your expectations .

Is it the sentencing guidelines , law enforcement , the courts or is the defect in several areas including the jail ?

You can vote and change these things you do not like . Set yourselves truly free and exercise your right to vote . You could even run for office . There are lots of qualified people here .
truth

Cordova, SC

#13 Jan 24, 2010
ur the jackass wrote:
<quoted text>Well Hunny, let me enlighten you. THIS IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL, This is LIFE. You break the law and get sent to prison, Do your freaking time..Dont claim to be a Christian and get saved and they let you out, and you commit the same crimes over and over, this is what these people are doing. They are laughing all the way home when they get released. They pulled one over on the authorities. Everybody is sick of the way the Jail is being run, stick to the guidelines.. Geez, Is that so hard for any elected official to do. I'm sick of you people defending criminals, just shows you where you're loyalty is. Maybe they should stick your butt in Prison..I know a couple of these people that were"SAVED" in jail, and they were set free. They dont pick up a bible or worship God, they just did it to get out of jail.. Read the DunlapTattler, the same people keep getting arrested for the same thing, over and over and over.. It's sickening the way this jail is run. Why cant anyone run this jail professionally? Are we going to have to elect an out-of-towner to see some proffesionalism in this town? Quit defending the Criminals
you are exactly right!! i was in jial a few months ago and its pathetic how people act when they get locked up. they act like they are all in the church thing until they get out of jail. im for going to church and all, but its sicking wat all goes on in there. if a person is gonna go to church why wait till you get locked up and whine and cry pretending in church to get time knocked off your sentence. thats messed up!! wat dumbasses
who is the dumbass

Camden, SC

#14 Jan 24, 2010
I dont know where u all get your information but just because someone who is in jail starts going to church, or they become jail house christians doesnt effect the time they are in jail. When someone goes in front of a judge and gets time in jail they have to do the full time or a percentage of the time set by the judge usually 30%. The only way that they can get time knocked off is by being an inmate worker. (and for u who doesnt know what that means, it means that an inmate does extra work around the jail or another form of community work. Picking up garbage, helping with community projects.) But the bottom line is church has nothing to do with getting out early, the state has guidelines for this and i am absolutly positive the sequatchie county jail follows these guidelines no matter what u are told or believe...

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 24, 2010
who is the dumbass wrote:
I dont know where u all get your information but just because someone who is in jail starts going to church, or they become jail house christians doesnt effect the time they are in jail. When someone goes in front of a judge and gets time in jail they have to do the full time or a percentage of the time set by the judge usually 30%. The only way that they can get time knocked off is by being an inmate worker.(and for u who doesnt know what that means, it means that an inmate does extra work around the jail or another form of community work. Picking up garbage, helping with community projects.) But the bottom line is church has nothing to do with getting out early, the state has guidelines for this and i am absolutly positive the sequatchie county jail follows these guidelines no matter what u are told or believe...
Very Good
I am unsure why all of the systems problems are blamed on the jail . Has anybody ever talked with a judge before they voted for him ?
Some of the judges are elected .

The jail can't just keep people beyond what the court orders . Go sit in court and see for yourself . MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) does and has an impact on many cases . DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers)never has any impact .

info

Pikeville, TN

#16 Jan 24, 2010
Word Dunlap wrote:
I am tone deaf so I would have to do hard time .I doubt this is justice served . How much does this cost the taxpayers ?
churchs support them with all their needs. in fact my brother in law got out and a church family is houseing him till he adjust and gets a job he is nothing less then thankfull. he was changed because of the ministry nothing else has ever helped him
info

Pikeville, TN

#17 Jan 24, 2010
this don't cost tax payers. if this can change lives it benifits tax payers
info

Pikeville, TN

#18 Jan 24, 2010
Word Dunlap wrote:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/ news/2009/jan/22/free-inside/
"Andy Bickford, a 32-year-old Pikeville, Tenn., native serving a sentence for vehicular homicide, said the ministry helped him patch up relations with some of his loved ones.
A string of crimes, including the slaying of his father in 1995, has kept him in jail for most of his adult life, he said."
This guy should not be allowed to roam the streets . Patricide , homicide and whatever other crimes he committed make him a good candidate for prison , not a ministry .
well my brother in law is in school and is being housed by christians that see a person should never be given up on. or maybe a just left him in the same state of mind he went in there with so he would not have a chance to change. oh yea the boy was in the middle of the road at dark on a go cart duh the whole mountain knew it was coming. and after andys dad held a gun to his little brother and told him he was going to kill him andy stepped in.there dad had already killed before and would do it again. don't know until you live it
info

Pikeville, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2010
my name is bj bickford and my brother andy has made many mistakes and hurt alot of people in the process. he regrets everyday the accident in which an innocent young man lost his life and has taken full responsibility for the accident. as for the shooting involving my father, did you know WORD DUNLAP that my father held us at gunpoint the night before?, did you know that my father told us how he would kill all of us?,how he killed a man in 1982 and would do it again?,or how we were subject and witness to beatings on a daily basis? no you dont know what it is to fear for the life of your family enough to do somthing about it. my brother loved my father but he also loved me and my mother.he didnt murder my father he protected us. since that he has made mistakes, but all any of us can do is try to learn and become a better wiser person for it
brockdalian

Cordova, SC

#20 Jan 24, 2010
info wrote:
my name is bj bickford and my brother andy has made many mistakes and hurt alot of people in the process. he regrets everyday the accident in which an innocent young man lost his life and has taken full responsibility for the accident. as for the shooting involving my father, did you know WORD DUNLAP that my father held us at gunpoint the night before?, did you know that my father told us how he would kill all of us?,how he killed a man in 1982 and would do it again?,or how we were subject and witness to beatings on a daily basis? no you dont know what it is to fear for the life of your family enough to do somthing about it. my brother loved my father but he also loved me and my mother.he didnt murder my father he protected us. since that he has made mistakes, but all any of us can do is try to learn and become a better wiser person for it
amen your so rite

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunlap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael elder Janice Hale Janet hale 41 min thugAboo 16
Kendras eye 8 hr Dopey 11
Barbara Ann and Eric Downum 11 hr Really 18
Fiber Optics in Dunlap (Mar '13) 17 hr Tori 12
Valley View Subdivision Tue Mr Crabs 5
Daryl Wilson in Court Again! (Jun '15) Tue THATBITCH 27
Woman beaters Tue Really 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dunlap Mortgages