taxpayer

Buffalo, NY

#1 Dec 19, 2012
wish the observer would get the facts straight or maybe its the council and mayor that really dont know whats going on!! with the rehanging the blinds with one custodian?? wheres the other custodian?? currently there are 2 full time custodians at city hall!! both on the day shift!! talk about some easy overtime

Since: Mar 11

Dunkirk, NY

#2 Dec 19, 2012
The blinds aren't cleaned for 8 yrs and now they spend overtime to get them done in a hurry. Sure seems like they coulda spread that out over a couple weeks
Rita

Fredonia, NY

#3 Dec 19, 2012
Stephanie Kiyak is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! I love this chick. She needs to run the family and friends plan out of Dunkirk. Kiyak for Mayor!!!!
Homemaker

Fredonia, NY

#4 Dec 19, 2012
yesitis wrote:
The blinds aren't cleaned for 8 yrs and now they spend overtime to get them done in a hurry. Sure seems like they coulda spread that out over a couple weeks
People that work there every other week get off their bottom and dust the darn things off. Why have blinds in the first place? Guess you have to keep out the light while sleeping on the job right?
Kmartinaz

Dunkirk, NY

#5 Dec 22, 2012
Rita wrote:
Stephanie Kiyak is a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! I love this chick. She needs to run the family and friends plan out of Dunkirk. Kiyak for Mayor!!!!
Yup Kiyak brings up one good point in over a year and we want her to be mayor. dumbass.

The more interesting point is how she went after AJ. It appears Kiyaks love affair with hin is over. This was political grandstanding at its finest.
concerned

Dunkirk, NY

#6 Dec 22, 2012
Remember, her last vote was to vote no on spending $900 for a regional water study, sounds like a typical mayor canidate to me
mindless

Dunkirk, NY

#7 Dec 22, 2012
Let's all continue tobash about the overtime the weekend of Thanksgiving due to "SALTING", sad to think that that wasn't the reason for increased OT. Pretty sad our CITY FATHERS/MOTHERS couldn't read a budget line and note code differences based on the fact that due to Thanksgiving on Thursday, trash had to be moved to Saturday hence creating the increaase in OT that particular weekend. Sad that the Mayor/Szot ( who you think are one in the same) could not explain that at the council meeting. And to think you all think the Mayor/Szot and Kiyak are all genious'. Just a little bit of a heads up, Chistmas and New Years also fall on trash days hence forcing trash pickup for the next 2 Saturdays creating an OT event. Wake up folks, don't be fooled my the current admin.transparency garble, it all boils down to a being CLUELESS!!!
Natasha

Youngstown, NY

#8 Dec 22, 2012
NO OT should be paid for those Saturdays! They are receiving a paid holiday for Christmas and New Years and because they did not work those days, they do not have a 40 hour work week in-only 32. So the City should be doing like I know other business do--pay those Saturday hours at straight time pay.
Taxpayer

Fredonia, NY

#9 Dec 22, 2012
Natasha wrote:
NO OT should be paid for those Saturdays! They are receiving a paid holiday for Christmas and New Years and because they did not work those days, they do not have a 40 hour work week in-only 32. So the City should be doing like I know other business do--pay those Saturday hours at straight time pay.
Union Natasha,union! Can't have it both ways darling!
Natasha

Youngstown, NY

#10 Dec 22, 2012
Well, given the current state of our city, maybe this is an area that the mayor and council should look at as these contracts come due. This is just one of many easy areas to clear up wasted tax dollars! I am also fully aware of how unions work and how much of MY tax money (and yours) is wasted makes me ill! I have several friends who work for the city and the things they proudly brag about that we as tax payers are footing the bill for is outragous! So, thank you tootsie Taxpayer.
Dunkirk Guy

Dunkirk, NY

#11 Dec 24, 2012
Please understand that when it comes to union contracts, only the mayor negotiates. The council does not. If council wants to get involved in the negotiations, the trade off is that he/she/they MUST vote yes on said contract if and when it comes up for a vote. Check it...it's in the city charter. So unless a member of council has announced they've gotten involved in contract talks, the ONLY person to address when it comes to union negotiations is the mayor...which is probably why the unions have done so well over the years. The mayor has given away the farm, leaving nothing left for the city to negotiate with.
Veri

Dunkirk, NY

#12 Dec 25, 2012
Natasha wrote:
Well, given the current state of our city, maybe this is an area that the mayor and council should look at as these contracts come due. This is just one of many easy areas to clear up wasted tax dollars! I am also fully aware of how unions work and how much of MY tax money (and yours) is wasted makes me ill! I have several friends who work for the city and the things they proudly brag about that we as tax payers are footing the bill for is outragous! So, thank you tootsie Taxpayer.
Yes, Maybe like the VERY LARGE monthly reimbursement they get for not taking the health insurance...It is absurd really absurd!!!
Natasha

Youngstown, NY

#13 Dec 25, 2012
Veri wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Maybe like the VERY LARGE monthly reimbursement they get for not taking the health insurance...It is absurd really absurd!!!
Receiving a stipend/payout for not taking health insurance appears to be a huge perk for most gov't jobs. One of the fastest ways to save money would be to axe that "perk"! You either need the insurance or you don't. If you don't, then WHY should you get paid to not take it? Being able to have the insurance is the benefit with the job. Just like the endless accumulation of sick/personal days. Amazing how much time many of the city workers have saved up and then burn in the 1-2 years before they retire--which also then results (in most cases) in overtime pay for the person covering. I am by no means anti-union, as they do serve a purpose, but when negotiating for their contracts, they need to remember that they are continuing to bite the hand that feeds them and one day the hand will no longer be there!
Taxpayer

Fredonia, NY

#14 Dec 25, 2012
Natasha wrote:
<quoted text>Receiving a stipend/payout for not taking health insurance appears to be a huge perk for most gov't jobs. One of the fastest ways to save money would be to axe that "perk"! You either need the insurance or you don't. If you don't, then WHY should you get paid to not take it? Being able to have the insurance is the benefit with the job. Just like the endless accumulation of sick/personal days. Amazing how much time many of the city workers have saved up and then burn in the 1-2 years before they retire--which also then results (in most cases) in overtime pay for the person covering. I am by no means anti-union, as they do serve a purpose, but when negotiating for their contracts, they need to remember that they are continuing to bite the hand that feeds them and one day the hand will no longer be there!
We need to do the same thing here as was done in Michigan and Wisconsin. Stop the rape of the taxpayer. Merry Christmas darling.
dunkirk polok

Buffalo, NY

#15 Dec 29, 2012
let me tell you, if you are not happy with dunkirk move out i for one think its a great place except like i said before at least in the spring plant some grass in the empty lot across from city hall and the rest of you nay sayers move the heck out to where ever you think is a better place, go jills

Since: Mar 11

Dunkirk, NY

#16 Jan 2, 2013
The Mayor negotiates the Union contracts ??? That is ridiculous, he is completely bias as he is friends with almost all employees of the city. They should hire an out of town negotiator to weed out all these wasteful perks, it would be money well spent as the savings would be plentiful. Clearly the Mayor can not make these hard decisions without being hated by every city employee.
Dunkirk Guy

Dunkirk, NY

#17 Jan 4, 2013
yesitis wrote:
The Mayor negotiates the Union contracts ??? That is ridiculous, he is completely bias as he is friends with almost all employees of the city. They should hire an out of town negotiator to weed out all these wasteful perks, it would be money well spent as the savings would be plentiful. Clearly the Mayor can not make these hard decisions without being hated by every city employee.
What should be done and what is done are two different things. I agree, a hired gun as negotiator would certainly help!
gwf750

Dunkirk, NY

#18 Feb 4, 2013
In a time when the city's finances are as bad as they are why should city employees get reimbursed for sick time not used. I know some people working for the city who make $700 to $800 or more for time not used(secretary in the Developement Office for one) as for reducing overtime maybe the mayor should contact the prison in Brocton and get tyhe benefit of free labor to help out doing jobs that union workers don't want to do(i.e shoveling ,picking up papers on city streets,helping the non-profit areas) like we used to have before democrats in city hall started listening to democratic department heads such as streets and engineering coincidentally all union officials. Prison help is free for the asking!

sorry

Hamburg, NY

#19 Feb 4, 2013
gwf750 wrote:
In a time when the city's finances are as bad as they are why should city employees get reimbursed for sick time not used. I know some people working for the city who make $700 to $800 or more for time not used(secretary in the Developement Office for one) as for reducing overtime maybe the mayor should contact the prison in Brocton and get tyhe benefit of free labor to help out doing jobs that union workers don't want to do(i.e shoveling ,picking up papers on city streets,helping the non-profit areas) like we used to have before democrats in city hall started listening to democratic department heads such as streets and engineering coincidentally all union officials. Prison help is free for the asking!
Unions won't allow it...
III

Fredonia, NY

#20 Feb 5, 2013
gwf750 wrote:
Prison help isn't worth it. They get there late take long breaks and have to leave early to get the boys back in time for a free meal.Generally sick time buy back was give to employees and this started MANY years ago to compensate for the wages that were WAY below what others were making. IE Steel plant ( time and a half or quarter on weekends) NI mo, Plymouth tube, GReat Lakes, etc etc. Probably no one ever figured that wages would be brought up and even surpass many of the places now closed. Probably a happy medium somewhere out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunkirk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any dogging spots in Chautauqua county? 1 hr trent 2
Dunkirk CDBG worker quits 23 hr Ajd 2
Married women for fun Thu Winning 29
Rosas will split Lake Erie and lead Dunkirk res... (Nov '15) Wed Pauly walnits 26
Jr Rosas Wed Shag n scoob 5
Schunk Wed Ruiz 10
Who is that drunk Puerto Rican working at st el... Jun 17 BrownskiinedLeeches 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dunkirk Mortgages