Best Coach

Posted in the Dunkirk Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 09

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 13, 2009
 
Who was your best coach at DHS(or CMHS)? Any sport. Mine, Jerry Gavin. Taught me a lot.
DHS

Fredonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 13, 2009
 
Jerry Gavin is a good guy. Loved his dry sense of humor. Also liked Salisbury.
rick

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 13, 2009
 

Judged:

1

frank jagoda...he teaches hard work teaches success and through all his hard work and devotion, taking out time year round, to put time towards the team has made dunkirk baseball a powerhouse, also honorable metion to Marion Mistretta the dunkirk boys bowling coach..he been around a long time seen success, is a very nice and laid back coach, and pu alot of time into bowling programs throughout the years at luckylanes as well as astro
llll

Fredonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 13, 2009
 
Bob Muscato CMHS
wow

Fredonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 13, 2009
 
rick wrote:
frank jagoda...he teaches hard work teaches success and through all his hard work and devotion, taking out time year round, to put time towards the team has made dunkirk baseball a powerhouse, also honorable metion to Marion Mistretta the dunkirk boys bowling coach..he been around a long time seen success, is a very nice and laid back coach, and pu alot of time into bowling programs throughout the years at luckylanes as well as astro
Powerhouse what a joke, a power house goes undefeated, then wins the sectional and goes to States, Dunkirk has not done this, part of this, but never completed the job. Baseball powerhouse, look at Fredonia for that, they have been to states more than once and they have also taken the State title.
Ohno

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 15, 2009
 
Hands down, Steve (Downtown) Brown! He helped the tiny little village of SC compete with the big cities of Dunkirk and Fredonia. He would have still been pres of Babe Ruth in SC too, if he didn't have to quit coaching due to work issues. Babe Ruth left town when Downtown left town. Is Janisch still at the high school?
question

Fredonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 15, 2009
 
Ohno wrote:
Hands down, Steve (Downtown) Brown! He helped the tiny little village of SC compete with the big cities of Dunkirk and Fredonia. He would have still been pres of Babe Ruth in SC too, if he didn't have to quit coaching due to work issues. Babe Ruth left town when Downtown left town. Is Janisch still at the high school?
compete how, I never remember SC beating Dunkirk or Fredonia in Baseball
Ohno

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 15, 2009
 
Well, it was a while ago. lol We had a team in '92.or 3?, that went to semi-finals in Ithaca. My memory is not good on this, but we must have beat Dunk/Fred to go to semi's right?
question

Fredonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 15, 2009
 
Could be But Dk/Fr had separate teams then. I think next year Silver Creek is going to be incorporated into the Dunkirk/Fredonia league for Baberuth, some SC kids played last year
Rich

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 16, 2009
 
question wrote:
Could be But Dk/Fr had separate teams then. I think next year Silver Creek is going to be incorporated into the Dunkirk/Fredonia league for Baberuth, some SC kids played last year
That would be nice because that Fredonia/Dunkirk Babe Ruth League has gone down the toilet.
wiggles

Dunkirk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 16, 2009
 
Rich wrote:
<quoted text>That would be nice because that Fredonia/Dunkirk Babe Ruth League has gone down the toilet.
sad things is there are so many talented kids in that age group ...and they show very little commitment to program,they either are on travel leagues and skip BR game for that or they plain old don't show up.they don't take it serious anymore.......worse thing that happened was the merging of programs....but like all things either merge or lose program due to numbers. Problem is they have a late start due to many playing high school baseball prior to season..........then break for all stars..........then try to make up lost games..........not good..........get out of all star programs in all summer baseball/softball......get into more out of town tournaments or form a league like valley league and travel the county ...if not able to field enough to play BR

Since: Feb 09

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 16, 2009
 
Forgot to mention Larry Perdue (sp?). A giant among men in leadership and technical skills to coach, not to mention an inspiring motivator. Anyopne know what happened to him?
Rich

Jamestown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 16, 2009
 
wiggles wrote:
<quoted text>
sad things is there are so many talented kids in that age group ...and they show very little commitment to program,they either are on travel leagues and skip BR game for that or they plain old don't show up.they don't take it serious anymore.......worse thing that happened was the merging of programs....but like all things either merge or lose program due to numbers. Problem is they have a late start due to many playing high school baseball prior to season..........then break for all stars..........then try to make up lost games..........not good..........get out of all star programs in all summer baseball/softball......get into more out of town tournaments or form a league like valley league and travel the county ...if not able to field enough to play BR
I totally agree. When they break for all-stars and then come back for the regular season, those kids do not want to play, they are bored.
TimHortonsarethe best

Baytown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 23, 2009
 
Here's a sub-question on the "best coach" discussion. Best Dunkirk High baseball coach: Stuhlmiller or Jagoda? Or maybe Billy Walters as he is the only state title winner?

I'm from the Stuie era, but I wonder if there is somewhat out there that spans the generations. Ed Cherry comes to mind, as does the late Andy Balzer. Doubt Cherry consults the Dunkirk Forum site but maybe somebody has heard one of the "oldtimers" address this issue.
TimHortonsarethe best

Baytown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 23, 2009
 
elcaribe wrote:
Forgot to mention Larry Perdue (sp?). A giant among men in leadership and technical skills to coach, not to mention an inspiring motivator. Anyopne know what happened to him?
Yes, Perdue was very underrated. He had a lot to do with developing Dunkirk's best linemen of the 70s - guys like Dave Mleczko, Larry Pacos, and Harvey Jackson.
TimHortonsis the best

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Another very underated coach in Dunkirk was definitely Julian (Julio) Ross at St. Hyacinth's. He had a basketball powerhouse there that gave a lot of good players for both DHS and CMHS there start. Pretty darn good PE instructor overall as well.
Zeke III

Damariscotta, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 24, 2009
 
TimHortonsarethebest wrote:
Here's a sub-question on the "best coach" discussion. Best Dunkirk High baseball coach: Stuhlmiller or Jagoda? Or maybe Billy Walters as he is the only state title winner?
I'm from the Stuie era, but I wonder if there is somewhat out there that spans the generations. Ed Cherry comes to mind, as does the late Andy Balzer. Doubt Cherry consults the Dunkirk Forum site but maybe somebody has heard one of the "oldtimers" address this issue.
My grandfather and Allan Stuhlmiller were teammates on the Amsterdam Rugmakers of the Canadian-American League in the 50's. Gramps says Stuhlmiller's was always a second string catcher. At Syracuse University he played behind Dutch Dotterer and in Amsterdam he was behind Gus Triandos, both of whom played in the bigs. The guy you call Stuie was apparently a contact hitter with no power,so-so defensively, had a great arm, and a nasty temper. For what it's worth that's what an 80 YO outfielder recalls from playing with this guy in Amsterdam. Gotta love this topix.
ElCaribe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 24, 2009
 
Zeke III wrote:
<quoted text>My grandfather and Allan Stuhlmiller were teammates on the Amsterdam Rugmakers of the Canadian-American League in the 50's. Gramps says Stuhlmiller's was always a second string catcher. At Syracuse University he played behind Dutch Dotterer and in Amsterdam he was behind Gus Triandos, both of whom played in the bigs. The guy you call Stuie was apparently a contact hitter with no power,so-so defensively, had a great arm, and a nasty temper. For what it's worth that's what an 80 YO outfielder recalls from playing with this guy in Amsterdam. Gotta love this topix.
But the discussion was about coaching not playing. By the way wasn't Stuhmiller once property of the Yankees?
deer run

Dunkirk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 28, 2009
 

Judged:

1

best coach jim vogt kings tavern fastpitch softball and basketball
huh

Martinsville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 29, 2009
 
llll wrote:
Bob Muscato CMHS
Did he ever coach you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Dunkirk Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dunkirk Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dunkirk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••