Carriage House and Petri's
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#21 Jan 4, 2013
Exexresident wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really, lets take a look at both scenarios independent of each other.
1) family owned business in the worst state for business in the country. Are they more or less likely to move/shutter doors than
2) manufacuring facility in a business "friendly" state owned by a huge corporation with headquarters elsewhere.
Thats a pretty easy equation here.
Well, in my experience, these corporate types of moves happen everywhere, not only in New York. I have lived in NY, Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Michigan, Lousiana and back to NY again. The vompanies that stay for the long haul in any of these places are local brands who have grown there. If a family member is not able or willing to take over, they generally try to sell to other local owners or at least try to sell or make it public while keeping the majority ownership a local interest. There are always options. Those opportunities existed for Carriage House, Petri and Cliffstar. Why?$$$ grubbing sellouts. That is the local culture though. F the community.
Therein is the problem,no one left locally to purchase a business. The Capital and people with disposable income have seen the writing on the wall and have left. The reason is the costs involved with doing business in this state. You can't blame a locally owned business person selling when the opportunity presents itself.
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#22 Jan 4, 2013
Frank wrote:
I dont buy it. Other parts of the state are not having these problems. In fact, some corporate entities have brought new facilities to upstate ny.
<quoted text>
Ok for discussion purposes Frank,what is the problem then. Why didn't Toyota,BMW,or Mercedes for example build here? We have easy access to land, water,and rail transport. We have plentiful hydro power and plentiful fresh water supplies.
Huh

Dunkirk, NY

#23 Jan 4, 2013
Drive the I-86 corridor from Corning to Horseheads. There's plenty of new development. Drive the US-20 corridor through Auburn, there was new development there 10 years ago, still humming today. Drive US-9 through Poughkeepsie and north - development, technology, etc.

What's the problem out here? Why are Jamestown, Olean, Dunkirk, Buffalo, Niagara Falls all dying? It's the leadership and the mentality. In Buff/NF it's the same problem we have with President Obama and the Dems - keep your voting base happy, spend money on welfare bums instead of real improvements and development. Out here in SWNY, it's an unwillingness to adapt and change to a 21st century economy. Rural folk are afraid of technology. This is through no fault of their own mind you, but it's true. We're just too small-time to think big.
You talk too much

Dunkirk, NY

#24 Jan 4, 2013
ExResident wrote:
To Tax Payer aka Trailer park trash
My yearly $56,000
Proprty Owned: House in Town of Hamburg, Cottage at Sunset Bay, Time Share at Kissimee St. Cloud.
Job: I work for the Federal making sure scum bags like Tax Payer fall in line and do what they are told.
Background Check for current employment: Criminal Background Check(ocal state and federal), Credit Check, Reference Check, Education verification,
No Tax Payer, 1) I can buy and sell you. 2) You would never be able to work in the field I do because your previous DWI arrest would present you as mentally unfit (I pulled ur IP address and then pulled yur records)
You are the biggest BSer on this website. IDIOT!!
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#25 Jan 4, 2013
Huh wrote:
Drive the I-86 corridor from Corning to Horseheads. There's plenty of new development. Drive the US-20 corridor through Auburn, there was new development there 10 years ago, still humming today. Drive US-9 through Poughkeepsie and north - development, technology, etc.
What's the problem out here? Why are Jamestown, Olean, Dunkirk, Buffalo, Niagara Falls all dying? It's the leadership and the mentality. In Buff/NF it's the same problem we have with President Obama and the Dems - keep your voting base happy, spend money on welfare bums instead of real improvements and development. Out here in SWNY, it's an unwillingness to adapt and change to a 21st century economy. Rural folk are afraid of technology. This is through no fault of their own mind you, but it's true. We're just too small-time to think big.
Actually I think the people who are charged with promoting this area are too small minded. Good God we have a great population here of smart intelligent people,all they need is a chance but the people who should be promoting our talents,our resources,and our willingness to learn and contribute are missing in action! Couple that with the bunch in Albany who live off the city(NY) revenue and we have a recipe for disaster here in the "Tier"!
Ann non

Dunkirk, NY

#26 Jan 4, 2013
Buffalo is not dying. its fine. take a look at their plans for the waterfront, and whats already BEEN done, everything there is to do there museums,stores,parks etc...Dunkirk is in BIG trouble it doesnt even pass for a city..
Frank

Dunkirk, NY

#27 Jan 5, 2013
Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>Ok for discussion purposes Frank,what is the problem then. Why didn't Toyota,BMW,or Mercedes for example build here? We have easy access to land, water,and rail transport. We have plentiful hydro power and plentiful fresh water supplies.
Well, at this point, we dont have the educated talent base for those industries. The talented individuals have slready left, that is the culture that exists here. If you were starting a manufacturing facility would this be the community you would want to select your employees from? Not me.
Frank

Dunkirk, NY

#28 Jan 5, 2013
Ann non wrote:
Buffalo is not dying. its fine. take a look at their plans for the waterfront, and whats already BEEN done, everything there is to do there museums,stores,parks etc...Dunkirk is in BIG trouble it doesnt even pass for a city..
This is funny.
Frank

Dunkirk, NY

#29 Jan 5, 2013
Tax Payer wrote:
You can't blame a locally owned business person selling when the opportunity presents itself.
I just did, so obviously I can.
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#30 Jan 5, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
I just did, so obviously I can.
You missed my point Frank. It was not an attempt to restrict or to stifle your right to say or do what you wish. It was to point out that people are smart enough to know to "Get while the gettin's good". Saying that Major Corporations would not locate here because of lack of talent is baloney. Nissan built a plant in MS which is one of the worst(if not the worst)state in the union regarding illiteracy and lack of education! The plant is close to the size of Dunkirk and it's humming along just fine. We have good people here Frank! Should a plant of that size open here,people would move here as they did to MS. God knows we could use a few new blood lines here as many of the current ones only form a "line" at the social services office. We do not have leaders here Frank,we have people who only want the status quo.
The Don of Democracy

Fredonia, NY

#31 Jan 5, 2013
Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>Can't blame the Corporation Donny,blame the people who allow the idiots in Albany to ruin any chance for a company to do well around here.
It is never ever the corporations its is always evil governemnt. Ahhh... We the people in order to form a more perfect union..." Attention GOP, youlost your going to loose big and you cannot seem to develop new strategies or one single new idea to bring to the tabel for us (The Americna People) instead its all evil governemnt. Government is established among us to serve us not corporations. Our system of economy is a capatalist tyle with government intervention. Becasue as ther villega idiot knows unbridled capatalism only serves the corporation, its directors, and the share holders. Two divergent foci. The relaity here has nothing to do with Albany as much as your lil mind would like it to be , only because it fits within your scheme of bad government taxing and regulating business out of profit. This business decision was made and we do not know why Y^OUR GUESSING and with no credentials in economics, finance or business just another Dunkirk Club Rocket Scientist sitting at the club beer in hand railing like a GOP loon.
The Don of Democracy

Fredonia, NY

#32 Jan 5, 2013
ExResident wrote:
Maybe now the Mayor will fire some of these scumbag cops that work in Dunkirk and reduce the size and scope of government..high taxes and fees = people and businesses gone.
He we have another rocket scientist suggesting a reduction in force for DPD. Crime will be more than it is now, perhaps a more intelligent idea here.
The Don of Democracy

Fredonia, NY

#33 Jan 5, 2013
Huh wrote:
Here we have some serious thought, I would also higlight from Albany south to NYC. A paradise of employment. Your on target about WNY. But as important the questions becomes why are we like this?
The Don of Democracy

Fredonia, NY

#34 Jan 5, 2013
Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>Ok for discussion purposes Frank,what is the problem then. Why didn't Toyota,BMW,or Mercedes for example build here? We have easy access to land, water,and rail transport. We have plentiful hydro power and plentiful fresh water supplies.
I don't know do you, did we even try to get them here. Your assuming things. All without any trule knowledge set yer beer down on the club bar will ya.
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#35 Jan 5, 2013
The Don of Democracy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know do you, did we even try to get them here. Your assuming things. All without any trule knowledge set yer beer down on the club bar will ya.
Are you Frank? IF not,please stay out of the discussion. I have seen your posts on other threads and quite frankly (no pun intended)your level of intelligence is questionable.
Taxpayer

Youngstown, NY

#36 Jan 5, 2013
I know it is not near as many jobs, but by the end of Jan. Lane Bryant will have closed their doors for good as well. So, that's a 3rd business in our area.
Tyler

Dunkirk, NY

#37 Jan 5, 2013
They took our jobs!
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#38 Jan 6, 2013
Anyone remember the Saturn plant possibility in the town of Sheridan. What reasons were given that they didn't choose this area? Sure would be nice to have that plant here at this point.
Local Worker

Horseheads, NY

#39 Jan 6, 2013
They stopped making Saturns in 2010. It would just be another empty factory at this point in time.
Tax Payer

Fredonia, NY

#40 Jan 6, 2013
The Don of Democracy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is never ever the corporations its is always evil governemnt. Ahhh... We the people in order to form a more perfect union..." Attention GOP, youlost your going to loose big and you cannot seem to develop new strategies or one single new idea to bring to the tabel for us (The Americna People) instead its all evil governemnt. Government is established among us to serve us not corporations. Our system of economy is a capatalist tyle with government intervention. Becasue as ther villega idiot knows unbridled capatalism only serves the corporation, its directors, and the share holders. Two divergent foci. The relaity here has nothing to do with Albany as much as your lil mind would like it to be , only because it fits within your scheme of bad government taxing and regulating business out of profit. This business decision was made and we do not know why Y^OUR GUESSING and with no credentials in economics, finance or business just another Dunkirk Club Rocket Scientist sitting at the club beer in hand railing like a GOP loon.
And your field of expertise is? Have you ever given any consideration to entering a spelling bee? Good lord!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunkirk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hoo 11 hr Tom 8
Wanna be model "dirty" Fri Tonto 2
Briggs Dairy items (Aug '12) Wed Saw 12
Tiffany claybrook Wed Beto 13
News Several Incumbents Retain Seat On Legislature Wed Taxpayer 5
t.s. Nov 15 John 6
Gonzalez out, rosas sad Nov 14 Clubie 4

Dunkirk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance