1986 fatal car-train accident on Doughty Street

Posted in the Dunkirk Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Former Dunkirk Kid

Buffalo, NY

#1 Nov 6, 2009
I was only 9 years old when 6 Dunkirk High students were killed trying to run the train tracks on Doughty Street. I now live in Buffalo and the recent death of 4 kids in Clarence made me remember that tragic incident in Dunkirk. I was too young to realize what a major tragedy this was at the time, and now understand the severity and heartbreaking nature of the 6 deaths. I have tried to find some info about the accident online but can't really find anything besides a NY Times article. Does anyone out there remember this awful crash? What happened?
okay -

Fredonia, NY

#2 Nov 6, 2009
halloween(no gates i think)a kuschel was involved thats all i remember.
Chris

Buffalo, NY

#3 Nov 6, 2009
I remember that night as if it were yesterday. It was 1987, and a Haase boy was driving. The gates were occasionally down through the 4th ward with no trains in sight. Unfortunately, this night there was a westbound coming but the lights from the power station on Roberts made it hard to see the light of the train. The driver passed several stopped cars to attempt to go through. Their names were Paula Kushcel, Jennifer Styborski, Melissa Ziegler, Jody Wdowiasz, Randy Haase, and Brad Radloff.
what the

Roselle Park, NJ

#4 Nov 7, 2009
Chris wrote:
I remember that night as if it were yesterday. It was 1987, and a Haase boy was driving. The gates were occasionally down through the 4th ward with no trains in sight. Unfortunately, this night there was a westbound coming but the lights from the power station on Roberts made it hard to see the light of the train. The driver passed several stopped cars to attempt to go through. Their names were Paula Kushcel, Jennifer Styborski, Melissa Ziegler, Jody Wdowiasz, Randy Haase, and Brad Radloff.
It was 1986. Why did he pass several cars to get over the tracks. I was told that the investigaters felt he was trying to beat the train coming. They died from ruptured aortas: not a scratch on they. You are being "kind" regarding the driver, no accident- careless. These kids in VanBuren last month, they passed several cars also.
Chris

Buffalo, NY

#5 Nov 7, 2009
I'm sorry, but it was 1987. Paula and her Mom were suppose to stand up in my wedding that following May. I lived right next to the tracks at that time and can attest that the crossing arms would come done and stay down for hours on end with no trains anywhere in sight. It was the norm for people to go around them. And you're wrong about there not being a scatch on any of them. Jody was so bad she had a closed casket, as did one other, but I don't remember which one.
Ilivedit

Fredonia, NY

#6 Nov 7, 2009
I agree TOTALLY with Chris. It WAS 1987, and a couple of them were my friends. It's not true that there was not a scratch on them...and why would you even bring morbid stuff like that up? Those of us who lived this tragedy first hand unfortunately remember every detail about the accident...and the awful month that followed with the media camped out at our school. Chris - it was Robbie Radloff,not Brad.
Chris

Buffalo, NY

#7 Nov 7, 2009
I agree with you "I lived it" why was this brought up anyway. This was a tragedy that those of us who knew any of the kids will never forget. I watched my best friend fade away from the tragic loss of her daughter, no matter what I did I couldn't help her. Also they did not die from ruptured aortas, I accompanied Nancy to the Chief Balzers office to look at the reports. Those details don't need to be shared on here. I will say that they did not suffer, death was instant.
Chris

Buffalo, NY

#8 Nov 7, 2009
Ilivedit wrote:
I agree TOTALLY with Chris. It WAS 1987, and a couple of them were my friends. It's not true that there was not a scratch on them...and why would you even bring morbid stuff like that up? Those of us who lived this tragedy first hand unfortunately remember every detail about the accident...and the awful month that followed with the media camped out at our school. Chris - it was Robbie Radloff,not Brad.
I'm sorry for using the wrong name, I didn't know Robbie and for some reason Brad came to mind. I believe that was his brother, right?
why bring up the past

Buffalo, NY

#9 Nov 8, 2009
what the wrote:
<quoted text>It was 1986. Why did he pass several cars to get over the tracks. I was told that the investigaters felt he was trying to beat the train coming. They died from ruptured aortas: not a scratch on they. You are being "kind" regarding the driver, no accident- careless. These kids in VanBuren last month, they passed several cars also.
you dont even know what happened you stupid piece of shit i hope you and your entire family burn in hell bitch.
why bring up the past

Buffalo, NY

#10 Nov 8, 2009
oh and investigators lie so if you want to go online and talk shit about my family i have nothing but death wishes for yours.
ruserious

Clemmons, NC

#11 Nov 9, 2009
Instead of using this forum to slam others, lets use this tragedy as a remembrance and a learning experience. Talk to your kids, share this with them and pray that none of us will ever have to go through this again.
Ilivedit

Fredonia, NY

#12 Nov 9, 2009
ruserious wrote:
Instead of using this forum to slam others, lets use this tragedy as a remembrance and a learning experience. Talk to your kids, share this with them and pray that none of us will ever have to go through this again.
Some of us wish to remember it privately, or in the company of those who went through it with us. The original poster was trying to dredge up painful memories for no reason. Then the "I heards" began. It's very disturbing, and I don't blame the family member for their anger at all. Let's just let them Rest in Peace.

Since: Sep 09

Fredonia, NY

#13 Nov 10, 2009
What a bunch of winey ass babies.
The original poster brought it up, and stated how they were only 9 years old at the time.
It wouldn’t hurt anyone if it was discussed, and there is no reason for any of you to get all butt hurt if people want to talk about it.

So why bring up the past? So people who were not there can learn what happened, and maybe someday they will know why they should not do the same.

I also find it odd that someone who was supposedly so involved with this incident mistakenly called one of them by the wrong name. Then to cover up their own Faux Pas, say “I'm sorry for using the wrong name, I didn't know so & so…).

Well I too didn’t really know him too well, but they were all fellow students of mine. till this day I still remember what happened and would never mistakenly use the wrong name when referring to any of them.
KIMBERLY

Buffalo, NY

#14 Nov 10, 2009
nov 1st 1987 my sister paula kuschel was one of them killed in the train accident. it was a awful tradgey. every time i hear a train i think of it. i was young when it happened but remember all of it. my mom w/each n everyone of their parents and family suffered from this accident. i had to watch my mom morn her daughter everyday. they had to bury their own children (it is not suppose to b that way).
i believe that this accident,the 3 boys,n many other accidents that have happened in the past should be brought to students attention. they need to know not to take life for granted and think twice before doing things. cause u can b gone n one second. they also need to know how the accidents affect families and everyone around them.
i have been reading on these pages n the 3 boys, n it disgusts me on how people can be so disrespectful n bashing these kids n each other. think if u were in that families shoes would u want 2 see that.
and it is not right to call people names for not wanting to talk abt this everyone was affected in their own way. i think it is great how people are remembering paula, jody, jen, missy, randy and rob. but damn can people stop talkin shit. show the SIX of them respect n stop worrying abt who wrote this wrong.
and remember all that knew them loved them very much n wish they were still here. alll of our lives have changed and will never be the same without them. R.I.P.
Chris

Buffalo, NY

#15 Nov 10, 2009
Thank you Kimmy, very well said.
Calling It As It Is

Buffalo, NY

#16 Dec 8, 2009
I also was a pre teen, when this happened, my oldest brother was best friends with Randy for many years. I remember it was the only time I remember my older brother that always seemed to be superman like to me cry. This was a terrible thing for all six of the familys and thousands of friends that were left behind. In a way it is kinda cool that people still remember. RIP
The Fat Lady

Fredonia, NY

#17 Dec 9, 2009
I remember. I wish I didnt. Not sure of everyone else's intentions, other than Kim, but for those of us that lived through it, its still quite painful. Please be considerate of others.

Think of how you would feel and act with compassion.
Ilived it

Fredonia, NY

#18 Dec 9, 2009
The Fat Lady wrote:
I remember. I wish I didnt. Not sure of everyone else's intentions, other than Kim, but for those of us that lived through it, its still quite painful. Please be considerate of others.
Think of how you would feel and act with compassion.
I totally agree. We must have been in school together. I still think about it every time I go through 4th Ward. I vividly remember being in the girls' bathroom near the trophy case at DHS with a couple friends and just crying. The week before we had been all stressed about college, etc. I remember saying to them, "Why does it even matter what we're going to do with our lives? Look how fast it can be over. I need to relax and enjoy more." That's the one positive thing that happened in my life because of it all. Facing mortality makes you appreciate life.
Big Lou

United States

#19 Dec 10, 2009
Where are the tracks on Doughty St.??
Okie

Buffalo, NY

#20 Dec 10, 2009
I think there is some confusion. I believe it was the Roberts Road crossing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunkirk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
could it be yolanda bindics or lori bova? (Sep '06) 1 hr Friend of Yolanda 325
The Observer prints an honest headline 12 hr dft 1
Two part-timers will go full-time Jan. 4 12 hr wasted 13
Would you be interested in going on a website t... Sat ASI 2
dk bandits (Jun '13) Dec 18 One love 328
p&g foods Dec 18 sickof lowlifes 8
Area Police (Jun '11) Dec 16 Henu 39
Dunkirk Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web