Chautauqua Opportunities
barbara steisand wannabe

Fredonia, NY

#219 Oct 2, 2012
glad thats over wrote:
I worked for them a short time. Moved here and found the job quickly. Pay was next to nothing ...and with kids we hit a hard time. Was told to make an appointment to see if they could help. Told my crew leader week in advance and reminded him about the appointment. After my appointment they informed me I was fired for missing work that day. Really? My first time missing work for an appointment with the company I worked for and I'm fired? Maybe they should fire the ppl smoking weed on the job instead!
That's why your job and pay was next to nothing, so COI could set you up for services in one of their phony programs. More grant money means more programs and more programs means that Roberta can continue to shuffle money and push people further and further every day she is still breathing.
Norezen

Washington, DC

#220 Oct 2, 2012
You guys are talking a lot of crap about COI and as a past employee let me just say this:

COI stands for Chautauqua Opportunities Incorporated. It is a company that operates for profit. Without the profit motive, the company would not exist. Does it do enough good to justify some people making money off of doing good? Or should we just let the government do it for no profit?
glad thats over

Lansing, NY

#221 Oct 3, 2012
No. We are looking at eviction on the 15th. I made a little over 200 a week working for them. We have 3 children and can't get help from dss. We were turned away at coi also. So now no help or job
Disappointed

Jamestown, NY

#223 Oct 16, 2012
It is so much easier for 99.9% of people to point the finger at others versus taking a good look at themselves. This thread began by employees and ex-employees of an agency, namely COI, who only talk about the mishaps of the Executive Director. The Executive Director, alone, does not run the agency. It takes a team of people to work together to make an anti-poverty non-profit agency work. The type of mentality that this thread is running sadly disappoints me because it unthreads the very fibers that community action comes together to stitch and it shows a representation of how Chautauqua County really feels about building up their current state of poverty/economy. Before pointing a finger at someone else, keep in mind how many fingers are pointing back at yourself; realize you have the opportunity to help reweave broken systems versus sitting around and slandering them. What are you doing to fix the system (since you seem to think it is so far broken)?
Disappointed

Jamestown, NY

#224 Oct 16, 2012
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Too few and far in between I'm afraid. The majority of people I know that have actually tried to seek assistance have left that office is complete embarrasment. What's sad is that these majority are tax payers,all there lives, hard workers who fall on hard times and get spit on. WTF is wrong with this state and for that matter the country? I used to think those on welfare where at a disadvantage. Now, well I guess they actually have all the advantages. I'm of course talking about those that abuse the system. Has anyone realized that there is generations now of welfare in the city? Makes sense doesn't it, see how your parents live, live like your parents live, become your parents. Pretty reciprocal huh? Ahh, the cycle of life, beautiful.
What you describe here is "generational poverty", which is something that is taught to people through their family values with how they were raised and how their parents were raised. The only way to improve your own quality of life, in this situation, is to realize what it is and how to think and act beyond it. It does not have to be your cycle of life because your cycle of life depends on you to create it; your environment is manifested by your own thoughts and actions. If you rely on doing things because that is the way it has always been done, then your life cycle very much is that of your family's history. If your family runs of a history of poverty, then it thinks and acts in this same regard. How can you think outside of the box and change it for yourself? I asked myself this question when I was 12-years-old and was the first child in 3 generations of my family to graduate college; not only did I graduate college but I now have a MBA and work hard to continue improving my own quality of life every day. This was not taught to me by my parents nor my parents' parents. I took a risk and went beyond anything I was ever taught by learning more. While it is much easier to sit back and point the fingers at the others that are trying to make something better for themselves, I prefer to be one of those people. Does that mean that I had to abuse the system to get there? No; as a matter of fact, I steer clear of the system because I prefer to work for what I want in life. WORK - a most intimidating word for far too many people!!
jan 2012

Jamestown, NY

#225 Oct 22, 2012
For an old thread you sure do keep yourself up to date. By the way, the people who are responding to this site WORK and don't need or take help!!! I would Hope you DON'T have this better than though attitude to the people who you are helping!!!!
Disappoined

Jamestown, NY

#226 Oct 22, 2012
jan 2012 wrote:
For an old thread you sure do keep yourself up to date. By the way, the people who are responding to this site WORK and don't need or take help!!! I would Hope you DON'T have this better than though attitude to the people who you are helping!!!!
This thread is a huge disappointment to me... as it is exactly part of the problem with society and that is the negative views this thread has on the systems and the people that work the systems offered in the community for which they live. That is the only reason I took the time to repond to it... not because I have a better than though attitude. Thanks for sharing your opinion and God Bless!
the truth comes out

Fredonia, NY

#227 Oct 22, 2012
I wonder if coi's fall inservice was interrupted by the federal government and their investigators working on the head start case against all the wrong doing Roberta and her elves did!
The buffalo news had an article about the head start program revokeing the award and all of the money associated with it. They are demanding full restitution from coi. Gee Roberta, is a jail sentence a legitimate excuse for missing the inservice?
shame on you reberta

Fredonia, NY

#228 Oct 23, 2012
The tax man cometh and he ain't happy!
Where did you put all of the money Roberta?
Did you lend Kathy the money to run away to Florida? All of your make believe programs don't mean anything without the government money that head start and Wic was paying out. It looks like your gravy train has been derailed permanently!!
I can't wait until I get on that witness stand and testify against you!! Buttkissers included...
Watchdog

Horseheads, NY

#229 Oct 23, 2012
the truth comes out wrote:
I wonder if coi's fall inservice was interrupted by the federal government and their investigators working on the head start case against all the wrong doing Roberta and her elves did!
The buffalo news had an article about the head start program revokeing the award and all of the money associated with it. They are demanding full restitution from coi. Gee Roberta, is a jail sentence a legitimate excuse for missing the inservice?
Link to artice? Please post.
Looking for proof

Binghamton, NY

#230 Oct 29, 2012
the truth comes out wrote:
You mention the Buffalo News had an article about the Head Start Program revoking an award and demanding full restitution... do you have a link to the article? After all, with no proof, how can you be so sure that this problem is of the Executive Director and not of COI's service personnel keeping up with quotas or of the declining county population not needing such services? Funny how you are so quick to point fingers with no proof in your pudding.
Looking for proof

Binghamton, NY

#231 Oct 29, 2012
shame on you reberta wrote:
The tax man cometh and he ain't happy!
Where did you put all of the money Roberta?
Did you lend Kathy the money to run away to Florida? All of your make believe programs don't mean anything without the government money that head start and Wic was paying out. It looks like your gravy train has been derailed permanently!!
I can't wait until I get on that witness stand and testify against you!! Buttkissers included...
What proof do you have that these programs have been derailed by doings of COI's Executive Director or COI at all? The economic downturn is the major catalyst for a community to pull away from program funding opportunities; in addition, how do you know that the government didn't pull out because they have less money to spend on such programs? Often times, they will change providers as a way to cover up funding shortfalls...
Never will understand

Fredonia, NY

#232 Dec 26, 2012
Just heard another great employee was let go. Sad that everyone that does try to do a great job, and shares concerns after being asked to do so are targeted to be let go. Overworked and still piling it on, the best employees that are still there mostly want to do their jobs but can't. Feel really bad for the customers because without them even realizing it, they are the ones that suffer because the best employees step on some toes.
mister 2013

Fredonia, NY

#233 Dec 27, 2012
coi board, are you listening now????
lawsuits going on for discrimination against the pee-ons and roberta looking like a fat pig in the newspaper. what else is going on behind the doors of that place. keller is not going down easy, she's gonna fall hard and land on the innocent, helpless, good employees that are left. the former employees are fighting back and it ain't gonna be pretty. the board only hears what prima ballerina bert wants them to hear. the board needs to hear from all of us that bert conveniently got rid of. she thinks we are out of her way now. well she should be re-thinking her moves and planning her fundraising efforts for her bail money. coi board and keller have not heard the last of us. in dunkirk and here in jamestown, we're not stopping until coi and you are taken down for all the nasty things done to us and the clients. roberta, i don't care who you pay to post nice things on here, it won't make up for what you've done to all the ones you have screwed out of work and benefits. we have family and friends you only have paid actors to pose for you, yes, your dummies!!
Skip

United States

#234 Dec 27, 2012
These threats have been going on since 2009. She's still there. You are not. HAHAHAHA
glad its over

Fredonia, NY

#235 Dec 29, 2012
Thanks Roberta for writing this comment. It just shows your immaturity and what an idiot you are!
Watchdog

Austin, TX

#236 Dec 31, 2012
If the employee that was let go was so great, why were they let go? If Roberta is such a bad Executive Director, then how come none of these threats have proven anything real behind them? This thread is ridiculous!
jan 2012

Jamestown, NY

#237 Jan 2, 2013
Must be some truth. You read it
and also respond to it.
MikeMichaels

Dunkirk, NY

#238 Jan 2, 2013
actually i wrote the dec 27 comment.
Jan2013

Jamestown, NY

#245 Dec 20, 2013
What a bunch of hipocrits and b s!! Bill Voght was at the homeless vigil??? How many people have you and Roberta put there? Shame on you!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunkirk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dk bandits (Jun '13) 9 hr Scooby 366
hands on moving 12 hr Letsdothis 5
Tony dloniak 14 hr chips 32
narks Thu Endless 3
Brittany and Matt (Feb '17) Wed Spot on 30
News DUNKIRK: Unease over site remains Dec 12 Forestville hick 6
Meat Gazer Dec 9 Tito 5

Dunkirk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance