Lazarus Pizza of 1950's, 60's

Posted in the Dundee Forum

Inquire

Glasgow, KY

#1 May 19, 2012
does anyone remember Lazarus Pizza in Elgin Ill from back in the 50's and 60's? I'm not sure if that's even the right name. Lazarus or Lazaro's?
Gary

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 May 22, 2012
The pizza that first hit Elgin in the 50's was the Pizza Palace on rte 25 South of Elgin. Then Lazara's (I think that was the name) opened on National St and Gifford just South of the Armory. Then Masi's bowling alley in Dundee started serving pizza. All 3 had thin crispy crust and the piazza was cut in squares. All were great.
Larry Tucson

Tucson, AZ

#3 Dec 1, 2012
Lazara's was delivered using jeeps and that was a job that young guys with a fresh driver's license lusted after.
Jim Sipple, a great friend of mine drove for them and met his wife at the restaurant.
Becky

Gilberts, IL

#4 Jan 10, 2013
Was just talking to someone trying to remember the name of that place, was it Lazara's or Lazar's?? Awesome pizza, lots of memories!!
Michele

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 1, 2013
Why did Lazaras close?
Tom

Elgin, IL

#6 Aug 3, 2013
Lazara's was the 1st pizzaria in elgin,then Potters restaurant & pizza was next. Potters was on the west side in elgin they opened up in the late 50's sold the restaurant in 1970. They had great pizza and they were the actual home of the curly fries. 2 other pizza restaurants were called Wagon wheel & Grants pizza. It's kinda of funny, there is a street in Elgin called Healy ave. it's a very short street, The owners of Potters, Lazara's,and Grants all lived on that street. It should have been called Pizza ave. The reason I know this I lived on Healy ave.
George

Middleburg, FL

#7 Feb 1, 2014
Used to bus tables at Lazara's pizza in 65. Loved scarfing up left over pizza. Also worked at Potters pizza delivering, making them, and for a short time a cook.
Peter Reynolds

Dundee, IL

#8 Feb 3, 2014
Remembering those very wonderful days, and little did we all know in our Golden Years that life would be this way.

It was a great place to meet with your friends, and the food was just great!
JudyR

Mountain View, CA

#9 May 8, 2014
Loved Lazaro's!! I was a college kid from downstate and I have always said I never really had pizza til I moved to Elgin and fell in love with Lazaro's. It's still the standard by which I judge all pizza. Good memories........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dundee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: J&J Garage Door and Electric Openers Fri sterlinglwilkins 6
Snap chat sex Jan 19 pingu_006 4
Algonquin Concrete Contractors for new Driveway Jan 16 Stacy Luntman 2
Kenny Leutz Jan 10 Truth 1
Masonic emblem now in pieces in Elgin (Dec '07) Jan 9 Taxpayer for years 42
Looking for young guys Jan 8 Biglad25 2
Elgin City council has the wool pulled over the... (Aug '08) Jan 7 Charles 4
Dundee Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dundee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet