Elgin man gets 6-month jail term in fatal DUI crash in East Dundee

An Elgin man convicted of drunken driving in a crash last year that killed a friend was sentenced Thursday to 6 months in Kane County Jail, avoiding prison time. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
amazed

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2008
Apparently this judge does not have children of his own..how can you send someone to six months in jail for killing another individual! I honestly do not understand our court system.. How do certain individuals get six months for murder and others get ten years for agg. battery..hmm.. the sad thing, the family left behind suffers and the judge along with the defendant will sleep pretty well tonight.
Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 4, 2008
6 months???? Wow. What in the H E L L is the State Attorney thinking in accepting this? A death because of a DUI should be a minimum of 20 yrs without parole, if not life. No second chances!
Also amazed

Springfield, IL

#3 Jan 4, 2008
Justice truly wasn't served in this case. I feel horrible for the victim's family. This young man will be back in the court system, I guarantee it. He won't be able to (or inspired to) stay off the drugs and/or alcohol. I predict another screw up in his future, I just hope it doesn't involve the death of an innocent victim - again. This sentence certainly isn't a significant deterrent for errant behavior in the future. Quite the opposite.
Elgin Resident

United States

#4 Jan 4, 2008
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!\

60 days for causing a young boys death after being irresponsible? This is ridiculous. This is exactly why people don' t get it because they get off easy. No doubt he will probably do the same thing again.
George

United States

#6 Jan 4, 2008
What.A.Joke.

This judge should be removed from the bench. He made up his own theory that "Poliarny might have tried to hit the brakes just prior to impact" to give him the ability to acquit him of 1st degree then gives Poliarny the ability to stay home free until after the holidays.

Poliarny screws up (THREE TIMES) and tests positive for both alcohol and marijuana despite instructions from the judge to stay clean and sober. And the judge puts him in jail.

Now the judge gives him a slap on the wrist saying he didn't have an extended criminal record.

Let's see. He showed no respect for you and the rules of law before, Judge...you think a little wrist slap instead of facing serious time will wake him up? Puh-leeze.

From the Northwest Herald, "Poliarny also violated his supervision in a 2005 marijuana-possession case by missing appointments with juvenile court officials, Sams said. He also tested positive for marijuana while on supervision in that case, Sams said."

There's no way that these six months will be a deterrent to him. He will be back in the system in the future. Hopefully it won't be for killing someone else or poisoning others with drugs.
George

United States

#7 Jan 4, 2008
BTW, I do not know why it says I am from Virginia...I live in Dundee.
Disappointed

Roselle, IL

#8 Jan 4, 2008
I do agree with “amazed” that the judge must not have any kids, because this just does not make any sense. He was order by court to go to rehabilitation in 2005 and he was under supervision when he killed Roman Pokorny and while waiting for sentencing he was given another 3 chances (he tested positive 3 times for drugs and alcohol) and the judge gave him PROBATION!!!!!!!!!? No one in the right mind can understand that. The family of the victim have to live with that grief for the rest of their lives and I hope that the judge will be hunted by that decision, because Poliarny will do something again. Oh one more thing that they missed in the papers- not even for ones he said that he is sorry for what he did, but he was just sorry for himself and begging the judge for mercy. Very disappointing!!!!! What Justice?.........
Wakeupcall

Roselle, IL

#9 Jan 4, 2008
I think America should look at all parties here. How come these kids are out until all hours of the nite? The parents were defintely not doing there jobs! I think this is sad. All of these kids were drinking and doing drugs.
NO JUSTICE SERVED

Roselle, IL

#10 Jan 4, 2008
Absolutely NO JUSTICE SERVED.
Jose

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 4, 2008
I am sure i will get critized for this, but if this kid was either black or hispanic he would not have gotten away that easy. If the truth hurts, so be it.
Wakupcall2

Roselle, IL

#12 Jan 4, 2008
Wakeupcall, you must not have kids too. What if that was 1 time type of deal? It happens, but does it mean that the kid that lost his live deserved to die because he snuck out of the house?? I don't think so.
revolutionary man

Montgomery, IL

#13 Jan 4, 2008
An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. I kill you. You kill me. Enough said.
WAKEUP3

Roselle, IL

#14 Jan 4, 2008
Wakeupcall wrote:
I think America should look at all parties here. How come these kids are out until all hours of the nite? The parents were defintely not doing there jobs! I think this is sad. All of these kids were drinking and doing drugs.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHAT THE KIDS WERE DOING. THEY ARE TEENAGERS EVERYONE HAS DONE IT. IT IS ABOUT AN INNOCENT LIFE THAT WAS TAKEN AND JUSTICE WAS DEFINITELY NOT SERVED.
Soooo Sorry

Batavia, IL

#15 Jan 4, 2008
This is an injustice to our human race and to the Pokorny family. Roman is not of physical body on this earth because of a careless act by a selfish person. The "justice" system is as sorry as this thing that committed this horrible crime.

To Wakeupcall, get a new alarm clock you are obviously in some whacked out dream if you think its that simply explained. You do not have a clue to this story so KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!

Again to Romans loved ones. I am sorry for your loss and sorry for the injustice YOU WERE served.

“Text OR drive...can't do both!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#16 Jan 4, 2008
Like everyone else, I am very sorry for the pain and loss this family has endured. That being said, you are all making statements that you likely know nothing about. How many of you work in or have knowledge of the legal field or the court system? Based on your comments, I would have to say not many. There are statutes that set the amount of time that a judge can sentence someone to. There is a pre-sentence investigation done to find out what kind of a person the defendant is. What if it were your child who was the defendant in this case? Would you really want him sent away for his entire life because of one mistake? I think not.

Also, to say that the judge "must not be a parent" is completely inappropriate. He is sworn to uphold the law, not his own emotions. I'm sure I'm going to hear it, but I think he did the right thing. Lastly, for those of you who believe his sentence isn't long enough, think about this...the kid has a life sentence. He will likely think about this every day for the rest of his life.
George

Aurora, IL

#18 Jan 4, 2008
The maximum he could have sentenced him to was 12 years for each of the two counts he pled guilty to. As for the pre-sentencing recomendations, the DA requested that he be sentenced for a much longer term that what the judge decided upon.

And as to your comment of: "What if it was your child?" Why does that matter...every defendant is someone's child...if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

“Text OR drive...can't do both!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#19 Jan 5, 2008
George wrote:
The maximum he could have sentenced him to was 12 years for each of the two counts he pled guilty to. As for the pre-sentencing recomendations, the DA requested that he be sentenced for a much longer term that what the judge decided upon.
And as to your comment of: "What if it was your child?" Why does that matter...every defendant is someone's child...if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
My point is that the people posting here don't have enough knowledge of the court system to make the statements they have, and that if it were their child they wouldn't be screaming for this kid to be locked up forever.
chicago il

Villa Park, IL

#20 Jan 6, 2008
Jose wrote:
I am sure i will get critized for this, but if this kid was either black or hispanic he would not have gotten away that easy. If the truth hurts, so be it.
I can not agree more!! how do u think i felt when they read the verdict!!But nothing will bring my baby brother back and brain will most likly not learn his lesson! its sad people can get away with drinking and driving!
aeastdundee

AOL

#22 Jan 19, 2008
My daughter went to scholl with the boy who died and I can not grasp how a judge would let a person get away with murder? this kid wanted to kill himself and instead kills someone who wanted live.
aeastdundee

AOL

#23 Jan 19, 2008
Jose wrote:
this is not about color

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dundee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scabies... Sun Please help me1 1
Do You Know Stephanie Craig? Oct 16 busybody 1
Elgin Community College Prof. Charged With Assault (Jan '10) Oct 14 met 11
Cinema 12, Rotary Club present free "Scooby-Doo... Oct 11 Alex Valdez 1
Palatine Man Sentenced for Confiscating, Sellin... (Mar '14) Oct 7 resident volunteer 2
Overcharged taxpayers speak out at Bartlett mee... Oct 6 The Truth 1
strong woman Oct 6 kittylicker469 1
Dundee Dating
Find my Match

Dundee Jobs

Dundee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dundee News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dundee

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]