Concealed Weapon Bill Creating Much C...

Concealed Weapon Bill Creating Much Controversy

There are 35 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from May 8, 2007, titled Concealed Weapon Bill Creating Much Controversy. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Should concealed weapons be allowed on school campuses? The answer is simple to Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dean Fowler

Cayce, SC

#25 May 9, 2007
if government control means safety why are prisons so dangerous?

if concealed weapons mean "war zones" why aren't the streets flooded with violence?

One of the most violent cities in the nation, and a murder leader is Washingon DC. Guns are banned there. Care to venture a guess why crime is so high there?

Most of the shootings we are seeing these days, Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Almish school, all have what in common? Criminals are cowardly but not stupid. If you are going to do anything at all even a crime, you are going to do it in the location least likely to offer resistance. Schools, States, and Cities, with bans on means of protection for law abiding citizens.

You can't be that blind not to see it can you? Given the audience, here, perhaps so.

Please use some reasoning people...

-Dean C Fowler III
Carrie

Columbia, SC

#26 May 9, 2007
columbia WARLOCK wrote:
If you people knew anything about what it takes to get a concealed weapons permit..training is involved...you wouldn't make such ignorant comments.
This proposed law is not going to arbitrarily just allow anyone to carry a gun....ONLY THOSE WHO PASS BACKGROUND CHECKS AND RECIEVE TRAINING....
The gunman at Virginia Tech passed the background check. Don't put all your faith in the background check.
Carrie

Columbia, SC

#27 May 9, 2007
I am a college student and I will be a middle school teacher next year. I am outraged at this new legislation. Who is asking the teachers and school staff what they prefer? This is a bunch of politicians that have no relation to schools and they are trying to make decisions for them.

If they would like more guns in school then we need to hire more school resource officers. Allowing anyone to walk into the school (even with a CWP- that anyone can get) with a gun is teaching students (children especially at younger ages that learn from others actions) that guns are okay. Hiring more resource officers may not be financially fisable with the current budget, but take away some of the college athletic funding and we can hire more security. Allowing students to see that guns are ONLY in the hands of well trained police officers would be giving the students a better message.

I like the idea someone had about giving the professors and teachers panic buttons. Also having a well thought plan of lockdown, like many schools already have in place, would save lives. What happens if teachers have guns in their classrooms and hear smoke bombs or other noises that sound like gunshots? I don't think whipping out a gun to defend yourself is a good idea in that case but it may happen in the spur of the moment.

As for colleges: What about when a student has a CWP and gun and get upset with a professor over a grade? It happens all the time. If their gun is there they have no cooling off time and the possibility of danger is increased.

I personally am not at all comfortable working, or attending class where someone next to me may by law have a gun.
Justice

AOL

#28 May 9, 2007
Dean Fowler wrote:
I think Rep. Duncan has a great idea. Let people exercise their right to defend themselves. Stating that an area is "gun free" only applies to law abiding citizens, as we saw recently in Virginia.
Five years ago at the Appalachian Law School, a would-be-murderer showed up. Students rushed for their vehicles, grabbed their guns and pinned the assailant down UNTIL THE POLICE ARRIVED. How many lives were saved then? How different would Virginia Tech be today if responsible citizens had not been deprived of their second amendment rights?
Predictably, the old "Wild West" argument has been tossed out from the far left's bag of talking points. As I recall, it has been used every time concealed weapon issues have come up here and in other states. It is an old argument and it has never been validated. Always, in fact, quite the opposite occurs and we see a significant drop in crime rates. Concealed weapon permit holders are some of the most respectable and law abiding citizens. CWP holders have undergone FBI checks and fingerprinting as well as legal and physical firearm training. Concealed weapon holders see it as their responsibility to defend themselves and the lives of their families. They take this responsibility seriously and as such, practice with their firearm much more than any police officer who trains a "few times annually". I would ask that you try running a poll on CWP holders and their amount of practice versus the Police force.
I find the statements of Police Chief Howard Cook nauseating, insulting, and quite elitist. I wonder, Mr. Cook, can you replace someone's right to defend themselves with an immediately available and viable alternative to the privately held firearm? I think not. As hard as I'm sure your officers work, they can't be there for everyone. They never will be able to be. For those of us that do not want to depend on your response time in immediate and dire situations, we choose our lives over your "opinion". I think I will take responsibility for the lives of myself and family. I am completely shocked that someone, tasked with dealing with criminals, would be so naive as to believe that criminals will obey the law (ridiculous) or that the public is irresponsible and unable to handle the responsibility of self defense. Someone like that, does not have the public good in mind, and should be removed from office.
Sincerely,
-Dan C Fowler
I understand what you are saying. But two (2) keywords in your entire comment "responsible citizens" is very hard to predict these days. However, I am a CWP holder and do not argue with ALL that is for this bill. But, rest assure... should this bill pass there will be a sad day at USC some day. I hope this day never happens but, you are talking about young kids that have alot of testostrone flowing and
and certain period of the month, not to mention (and we all know) the drinking problems that surrounds college students. It is my opinion that eventually something very sad will happen "if" this bill passes.
Dean Fowler

Cayce, SC

#29 May 9, 2007
Well I guess I typed two pages too slow and it failed to post. Darn. Well, I guess I'll give the shorter version on my second try.

Police: go through background checks too.
I know for a fact it is just as fallible as any background check for CWP holders.
As to them carrying firearms and being more "Qualified"? I urge you to ask any of them how often they practice. Then ask ANY CWP holder how often they train and practice. More on the Background checks:
Have you not seen the news lately? CRIMINAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE trial of an officer locally. Remember the ARMED Bank robberies a few years back by POLICE in Myrtle Beach and Murrels Inlet? What about the local Police officer that was illegally hoarding drugs in his own residence that he had confiscated?
So who then do we trust now? Police are just as fallible as your perception that CWP holders might be. So what then foments this unrelenting trust in one human over another. I choose to trust in my own ability to both defend myself and my family. I choose this because I know I have a better chance if I don't have to WAIT for help.
I put forth that there are two camps of those opposed to self defense. Those with an irrational fear of an inanimate object and a second much worse group. The second consists of those who project their own personality insufficiencies and violent tendencies on others. Thinking that everyone is as capable of the same lack of control they suffer from, produces incredible fear of "guns on the street".
Which group do you belong to? If it is the latter, I agree, we'd all be better off if you opted out for being armed.
All I ask is that you consider these things and at least take a rational approach that if faculty/ employees wish to carry that we let them. I for one would like the deterrent of the knowledge that faculty could be armed to deter school shootings. And should they be called upon, may they be available to defend my child.
Yes there is evil in the world. Closing your eyes and stating "it's not so" is about as effective as Virginia declaring a "gun free zone". Either statement is only as good as those willing to honor it. I assure you criminals honor neither statement. So as long as there exists evil and those willing to do harm, I will choose as others to stand against it. I will protect my family. The State Government agrees or we wouldn't have the current CWP holder numbers that we do. Please appreciate my right, as I appreciate your choice not to defend yourself.

Sincerely
-Dean C Fowler III
my 2 cents

Cayce, SC

#30 May 9, 2007
Dean Fowler wrote:
So as long as there exists evil and those willing to do harm, I will choose as others to stand against it. I will protect my family. The State Government agrees or we wouldn't have the current CWP holder numbers that we do. Please appreciate my right, as I appreciate your choice not to defend yourself.
Sincerely
-Dean C Fowler III
You know Dean, you are the kind of nut job that really worries me here. I've had a gun for as long as I can remember. Never felt the need to carry it out in public. Therefore have no desire to get a CWP.
It's the people who get the CWPs and then have to tell everyone about them and about how much safer they are because of them.
By not carrying a gun with me, I tend not to go to places where I would need one. I'm almost 50 years old, have lived in a number of places, been to the "big cities", and yet have never needed a gun. It's amazing.
I think a bunch of yahoos running around with guns under their coats or in their pockets is one of the scariest things I can think of.
Your mom

Columbia, SC

#31 May 9, 2007
Dean Fowler for governor!
Country Boy

United States

#32 May 9, 2007
You are just crazy.
Yes I have had my doors kicked in during the middle of the day. Not by one or two persons, but by 5 people. Don't you see what is happening? We are losing every freedom that we have. Man. Arm yourself and stand up for what is right. I will always carry a gun and I don't miss what I shoot at.
my 2 cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious. How many times have you been in your house at 3 in the morning and had someone kick in the door.
The only thing a CWP does is give false confidence.
Country Boy

United States

#33 May 9, 2007
I'll vote for him.
Better than what we have.
Your mom wrote:
Dean Fowler for governor!
Country Boy

United States

#34 May 9, 2007
No Dean is not the nut job, you are. You have been very lucky. Crooks will not mess with someone carry a gun. In order to carry it legal you need a CWP. You really need to worry about the bad guys, not the good ones. Carry on Dean. its our right as lawful citizens to carry.
my 2 cents wrote:
<quoted text>
You know Dean, you are the kind of nut job that really worries me here. I've had a gun for as long as I can remember. Never felt the need to carry it out in public. Therefore have no desire to get a CWP.
It's the people who get the CWPs and then have to tell everyone about them and about how much safer they are because of them.
By not carrying a gun with me, I tend not to go to places where I would need one. I'm almost 50 years old, have lived in a number of places, been to the "big cities", and yet have never needed a gun. It's amazing.
I think a bunch of yahoos running around with guns under their coats or in their pockets is one of the scariest things I can think of.
Country Boy

United States

#35 May 9, 2007
Dean
Thank you.
I am a teacher and I have a CWP, I do not carry my gun onto school grounds. We have an SRO and he can not be everywhere. The school that I teach at is large, if something happen on one side of the campus and the SRO responded we are sitting ducks on the other side. Parents trust up with their child 71/2 hours a day, 5 days a week, 180 days a year. Give us some lead way in case something like a shooting would happen. Instead of cutting the lights off and getting under tables.
Maybe if enough people like you would go to bat for us, this bill might pass. Again Thanks
Dean Fowler wrote:
Well I guess I typed two pages too slow and it failed to post. Darn. Well, I guess I'll give the shorter version on my second try.
Police: go through background checks too.
I know for a fact it is just as fallible as any background check for CWP holders.
As to them carrying firearms and being more "Qualified"? I urge you to ask any of them how often they practice. Then ask ANY CWP holder how often they train and practice. More on the Background checks:
Have you not seen the news lately? CRIMINAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE trial of an officer locally. Remember the ARMED Bank robberies a few years back by POLICE in Myrtle Beach and Murrels Inlet? What about the local Police officer that was illegally hoarding drugs in his own residence that he had confiscated?
So who then do we trust now? Police are just as fallible as your perception that CWP holders might be. So what then foments this unrelenting trust in one human over another. I choose to trust in my own ability to both defend myself and my family. I choose this because I know I have a better chance if I don't have to WAIT for help.
I put forth that there are two camps of those opposed to self defense. Those with an irrational fear of an inanimate object and a second much worse group. The second consists of those who project their own personality insufficiencies and violent tendencies on others. Thinking that everyone is as capable of the same lack of control they suffer from, produces incredible fear of "guns on the street".
Which group do you belong to? If it is the latter, I agree, we'd all be better off if you opted out for being armed.
All I ask is that you consider these things and at least take a rational approach that if faculty/ employees wish to carry that we let them. I for one would like the deterrent of the knowledge that faculty could be armed to deter school shootings. And should they be called upon, may they be available to defend my child.
Yes there is evil in the world. Closing your eyes and stating "it's not so" is about as effective as Virginia declaring a "gun free zone". Either statement is only as good as those willing to honor it. I assure you criminals honor neither statement. So as long as there exists evil and those willing to do harm, I will choose as others to stand against it. I will protect my family. The State Government agrees or we wouldn't have the current CWP holder numbers that we do. Please appreciate my right, as I appreciate your choice not to defend yourself.
Sincerely
-Dean C Fowler III
Country Boy

United States

#37 May 9, 2007
Ask me, my vote is yes!!!!!!!!!!
Well you have got a lot to learn. I have been in it for 20 years. Its been a long time since we have had someone with enough guts and brains to know that we need to do something now, not later. I hope this bill will pass and in the bill it will be worded that the school board can not forbid a staff member or teacher from carrying a gun. We need all of help that we can get. You'll learn, and good luck.
Carrie wrote:
I am a college student and I will be a middle school teacher next year. I am outraged at this new legislation. Who is asking the teachers and school staff what they prefer? This is a bunch of politicians that have no relation to schools and they are trying to make decisions for them.
If they would like more guns in school then we need to hire more school resource officers. Allowing anyone to walk into the school (even with a CWP- that anyone can get) with a gun is teaching students (children especially at younger ages that learn from others actions) that guns are okay. Hiring more resource officers may not be financially fisable with the current budget, but take away some of the college athletic funding and we can hire more security. Allowing students to see that guns are ONLY in the hands of well trained police officers would be giving the students a better message.
I like the idea someone had about giving the professors and teachers panic buttons. Also having a well thought plan of lockdown, like many schools already have in place, would save lives. What happens if teachers have guns in their classrooms and hear smoke bombs or other noises that sound like gunshots? I don't think whipping out a gun to defend yourself is a good idea in that case but it may happen in the spur of the moment.
As for colleges: What about when a student has a CWP and gun and get upset with a professor over a grade? It happens all the time. If their gun is there they have no cooling off time and the possibility of danger is increased.
I personally am not at all comfortable working, or attending class where someone next to me may by law have a gun.
Country Boy

United States

#38 May 9, 2007
Well, good to hear from you. The lady with the 357 and 45 Oh lets not forget the hollow points. Don't you just love them
Danni wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell 'em!
Country Boy

United States

#40 May 9, 2007
My kind of Woman!!!!!!!!!!
Danni wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an arsenal of weapons, actually. Those two just happen to be the ones I carry. Hollow Points ROCK!
Dean Fowler

Cayce, SC

#41 May 10, 2007
You know, its a shame that the name calling had to come out. Rather than an intellectual discussion we've had some degrade this to a name calling session. I think that means we have some of those latter case studies I mentioned. Projection of one's own faults and violent tendencies on to others. As I said,(in a prior post) it would seem a lack of control prevails in some. The same ones who probably shouldn't have firearms, are the same ones telling rational people they shouldn't either... I thank you all for the encouraging posts and those even with a difference of opinion. There's nothing like a good discussion. However, I feel with the name calling, the conversation has degraded to a point where we will all be dragged down to a lower level in this discussion. Cooler heads prevail in our state and (for now) thankfully and the voice of reason always shines through. As long as rational people decide to make their voices heard, we will retain our rights (to both speak our minds and to defend ourselves). I thank you all for your time. God bless you ALL.

Sincerely,
-Dean C Fowler III

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jeff Duncan: Liberate Cuba, Don't Enrich Castro... Tue WE JUST DONT CARE 4
Review: Mechanical & More LLC May '15 Lisa Ewing 2
Review: Magna Mirrors (Oct '13) May '15 Dominion Signs 2
News GOP Lawmakers: Reject Loretta Lynch's Nomination Apr '15 KnutesNiche 7
Joey paddie Apr '15 valley girl 1
Jennifer Whitlock Apr '15 Truth 3
News Murder trial set to begin Monday in Pickens (Apr '08) Feb '15 Response to staci 6
More from around the web

Duncan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Duncan Mortgages