Man Charged In Gun Incident

Man Charged In Gun Incident

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 14, 2007, titled Man Charged In Gun Incident. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A South Carolina man who police said fired a rifle off a porch of an apartment complex was arrested Sunday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

General Grant

East Hartford, CT

#1 May 14, 2007
It seems this Rebel thinks he's still in the land of Dixie.
The good citizens at the Enfield Court need to remind him 1) that Connecticut is a free state;
2) that you can't shoot your rifle off your back porch; and
3) that you can't marry your sister.

Huzzah!!
Rob

Wethersfield, CT

#2 May 14, 2007
I have to disagree - it was a pellet rifle. I don't know how I managed to get away with shooting pellet guns as a kid. We used to roam around the neighborhood like it was the wild west shooting at random things.

We were careful tho and nobody lost an eye.

I did get yelled at a few times.

But we used to actually walk around on school property (after school) with our pellet guns... have times really changed that much in the past 12 years?
Houston TX

Fort Worth, TX

#3 May 14, 2007
Since when is it illegal to fire a BB-Gun, which if I am correct is not considered a firearm by the court of law?

Since: Feb 07

Hartford, CT

#4 May 14, 2007
Sec. 53-206c. Sale, carrying and brandishing of facsimile firearms prohibited. Class B misdemeanor.(a) For the purposes of this section:
(1) "Facsimile of a firearm" means (A) any nonfunctional imitation of an original firearm which was manufactured, designed and produced since 1898, or (B) any nonfunctional representation of a firearm other than an imitation of an original firearm, provided such representation could reasonably be perceived to be a real firearm. Such term DOES NOT include any look-a-like, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or traditional BB. OR PELLET-FIRING AIR GUN that expels a metallic or paint-contained projectile through the force of air pressure.
(2) "Firearm" means firearm as defined in section 53a-3.
(b) No person shall give, offer for sale or sell any facsimile of a firearm. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any facsimile of a firearm, which, because of its distinct color, exaggerated size or other design feature, cannot reasonably be perceived to be a real firearm.
(c) Except in self defense, no person shall carry, draw, exhibit or brandish a facsimile of a firearm or simulate a firearm in a threatening manner, with intent to frighten, vex or harass another person.
(d) No person shall draw, exhibit or brandish a facsimile of a firearm or simulate a firearm in the presence of a peace officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician or paramedic engaged in the performance of his duties knowing or having reason to know that such peace officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician or paramedic is engaged in the performance of his duties, with intent to impede such person in the performance of such duties.
(e) Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
(P.A. 88-237.)
He could have been arrested for breach of peace perhaps, or reckless endangerment, but on the gun issue,
he would have been in more trouble
waving around a gun carved out of soap than a BB gun. BB guns and Pellet guns, while listed as dangerous weapons, are not firearms.
CS 85. A .22 caliber air-operated single-shot pellet gun held to be a dangerous weapon.
We used to shoot these things in the backyard, driveway, out of tree forts, etc. but that was in the country and that was before the land of steady habits was overrun with fragile and easily excitable people.

“Fallen Angel”

Since: Jan 07

New England

#5 May 14, 2007
Doesn't it matter what is behind the porch? For example, if there are houses or common areas, it could be seen as reckless endangerment. Also perhaps being an apartment rather than a single family home> For example, it seems there would be nothing wrong with firing into the woods from one's own porch if there were no other households within range. But maybe because its an apartment it is considered too close to other people or their dwellings? After all, its okay to hunt or target shoot, but not near your neighbors' yards, right?

I guess I'm asking what exactly is the basis of the charge?

Since: Feb 07

Hartford, CT

#6 May 14, 2007
Well, you can't discharge a FIREARM within 200 yards of a domicile, but again, a bb gun isn't a firearm and neither is it a danger-simulating "replica" gun, so unless he was shooting at another person, apartment complex or house (reckless endangerment) I imagine the only thing they can make stick is frightening all the old women next to whom he lives.

Charge him with knicker-twisting with intent to vex.
Squeenter Squillo

United States

#7 May 14, 2007
Johnny Jazz wrote:
Well, you can't discharge a FIREARM within 200 yards of a domicile, but again, a bb gun isn't a firearm and neither is it a danger-simulating "replica" gun, so unless he was shooting at another person, apartment complex or house (reckless endangerment) I imagine the only thing they can make stick is frightening all the old women next to whom he lives.
Charge him with knicker-twisting with intent to vex.
Lol dude, I like the cut of YOUR jib!
Beth Wingo

Missoula, MT

#8 May 16, 2007
Where is Enfield? If the man Mr. Anderson is from Duncan,S.C., he was suppose to report to Superior Court in Enfield, where is it?

“Fallen Angel”

Since: Jan 07

New England

#9 May 17, 2007
Beth Wingo wrote:
Where is Enfield? If the man Mr. Anderson is from Duncan,S.C., he was suppose to report to Superior Court in Enfield, where is it?
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duncan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SC congressman says it's God's 'intelligent des... Apr 1 Science 10
North HWY 101 Facebook group/ Jeanetta Morrow Mar 24 Concerned 1
News Man who found woman's body charged with murder (May '08) Mar '18 Tronald Dump 11
Primitve items Feb '18 Ohioan 1
Loud boom over duncan reidville area tonight (Nov '16) Jan '18 Noone 3
News Search begins where woman was found chained up ... (Nov '16) Nov '17 cadescove99 2
Meth Nov '17 Tweek gone 1

Duncan Jobs

Personal Finance

Duncan Mortgages