Palmyra Man in NOVA Jail on Child Sex...

Palmyra Man in NOVA Jail on Child Sex Charges - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W...

There are 83 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 8, 2012, titled Palmyra Man in NOVA Jail on Child Sex Charges - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A Palmyra man is being held in a northern Virginia jail, after police say he had two sexual encounters with a 14-year-old. Brian Kutney, 36, is being held without bond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Really

Ferrum, VA

#64 Feb 14, 2012
i think he lied about his age when he was talking to her in the chat room,hes such a punk and will be that when he goes down the road.
Lacking Details

Culpeper, VA

#65 Feb 14, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
'new to this'
This is from the article:
Carnal Knowledge / Indecent Liberties with a Minor – On February 6 th, police began an investigation into a sexual assault which was reported to have occurred February 1 st and 3 rd in Prince William County. The victim, a 14 year old girl of Dumfries, reported to police that she had met and unknown man, later identified as the accused, through a teen chat room in January of this year.
We can only conclude that they did in fact meet “through a teen chat room in January of this year.”
I understand what some people are saying that he is "innocent until proven guilty," which is something that I take very seriously. And/ or that she may have lied to him about her age and that she may looked older; it does appear that intent, in this case, is not on his side. What was he doing on a teen internet chat site?
Virginia is a no consent state, which means, if she is under 18 and he is over 18, consent cannot be given by her. There are special rules for 15, 16, & 17 year olds, provided they don't have sex with someone over the age of 18 and there is more than a 2 year difference in age. Under no circumstance can a person 13 years old or younger give consent in the state of Virginia. If he is found guilty, and she is between the ages of 13 and 15, and the sex was consensual; he will be found guilty of a class 4 felony which carries a maximum sentence of 2 to 10 years in prison, and fines up to $100,000. If he is found guilty, and she was older than 15, he would be found guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor; which carries a sentence of 12 months in jail and fines up to $2500.
I don't know the man, nor do I know the situation. I do know that some 14 year olds grow up faster than others. I have a hard time believing that this was not consensual since it happened twice. I don't know what the situation was to lead this 14 year old to report this, but that is regardless of the situation. What this man did, at the very least, was take advantage of a girl who clearly has self esteem issues, and/ or is crying out for attention and was looking for it in the wrong places (she has daddy issues.) The other side of the coin is if this man really does have family and young women daughters. I can't imagine what they're going through. Nor can I imagine what his wife is going through (if he's still married.) It was stupid, it was selfish, and it's creepy. No matter the outcome, I imagine, he has destroyed his family.
Excellent post by someone who seems to know more about the system than the people posting all these comments. There is only speculation of what happened between these two and when....did they really meet in a "teen" chat room, were their "real" ages disclosed? Was this the first time, for eiher of them? We just don't know, but I'm sure someone does and it will all come out sooner or later.

Yes, I am sure this has ruined his family as well as the victim's family. And maybe this came out because the girl's family FINALLY became suspicious of her whereabouts, her behavior, etc., and pressured her until she came came up with her side of the story, no matter how true or false it was.
torch

Brookneal, VA

#66 Feb 14, 2012
slowly painfully torture him till he is no more

OH AND BY THE WAY PARENTS KEEP YOUR KIDS OFF THE STUPID STUFF ONLINE
Lone Justice

Charlottesville, VA

#67 Feb 14, 2012
Just sayin wrote:
Just wondering....where are the parents to this 14 year old child?? She's not old enough to drive...How did she get to these parking lots in Dumfries AND Woodbridge without an adult knowing where she was and what she was doing?? and WHY would she meet him a 2nd time after the events of the first encounter with him??? Seems she should have reported him the first time, or at least stayed away from him instead of meeting him the 2nd time. Am I missing something here???
Does sound fishy all the way around!
Non-Issue

Ferrum, VA

#68 Feb 14, 2012
This would be a non-issue if he would not have followed through with it, plain and simple! He had time to think about what he was about to embark on if they did first chat in January. Even if she did lie about her age, there are things that he should have picked up on that would have been a sign that she was underage....possibly that he went to a HIGH SCHOOL. There are also a level of immaturity with young girls that are not evident in someone 18 and older. And how could he have lied about his age He looks everyday over 18 so what difference does that make? I do not know why that would even be a concern. Straight to the point...I can not believe there are people that think he is innocent, please! If he was all that innocent, he would not have been arrested on the spot while he was there to meet her and he would not be held on bond. People are held on bond when they are a threat to the community or a flight risk. Obviously, there is enough evidence for this decision to be made. One last question, if it was your daughter whom he did this with, would you think he did not do it? I did not think so. He should rot there in my book.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#69 Feb 14, 2012
Non-Issue wrote:
This would be a non-issue if he would not have followed through with it, plain and simple! He had time to think about what he was about to embark on if they did first chat in January. Even if she did lie about her age, there are things that he should have picked up on that would have been a sign that she was underage....possibly that he went to a HIGH SCHOOL. There are also a level of immaturity with young girls that are not evident in someone 18 and older. And how could he have lied about his age He looks everyday over 18 so what difference does that make? I do not know why that would even be a concern. Straight to the point...I can not believe there are people that think he is innocent, please! If he was all that innocent, he would not have been arrested on the spot while he was there to meet her and he would not be held on bond. People are held on bond when they are a threat to the community or a flight risk. Obviously, there is enough evidence for this decision to be made. One last question, if it was your daughter whom he did this with, would you think he did not do it? I did not think so. He should rot there in my book.
That's not true. Virginia has some of the most strict solicitation of minor laws in the nation.

18.2-374.3. Use of communications systems to facilitate certain offenses involving children.

subsection C

C. It shall be unlawful for any person 18 years of age or older to use a communications system, including but not limited to computers or computer networks or bulletin boards, or any other electronic means, for the purposes of soliciting, with lascivious intent, any person he knows or has reason to believe is a child less than 15 years of age to knowingly and intentionally:

condition 4
4. Entice, allure, persuade, or invite any such child to enter any vehicle, room, house, or other place, for any purposes set forth in the preceding subdivisions.

Any person who violates this subsection is guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if the person is at least seven years older than the child he knows or has reason to believe is less than 15 years of age, the person shall be punished by a term of imprisonment of not less than five years nor more than 30 years in a state correctional facility, five years of which shall be mandatory minimum term of imprisonment. Any person who commits a second or subsequent violation of this subsection when the person is at least seven years older than the child he knows or has reason to believe is less than 15 years of age shall be punished by a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years nor more than 40 years, 10 years of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment.

The assumption of guilt is a terrible thing. I don't know the situation and jumping to conclusions and prosecutorial misconduct gets innocent people put in prison. I'm not saying that he is innocent, but I am saying he deserves his day in court.

If he is guilty, and solicited her to meet him any one of those three times, he's facing a minimum of 5 years for each offense.
burro crane

Charlottesville, VA

#70 Feb 15, 2012
The 14 year old could of said NO
Sickened parent

Brinklow, MD

#72 Feb 16, 2012
Mom of 3 wrote:
Did anyone stop to think that maybe this girl said she was older then 14 ? Kids today look a lot older then they really are. He's wrong ,yes , especailly going back and second and third time , but keep in mind his innocent family might be reading these nasty comments. My children are friends with his children and they are really hurting right now. They don't need to see comments about frying their dad.
I feel for his children and wife, however he should have thought about what this would do to them before did what he did. I’m thankful that the media warns us of these pedophiles and where they live so we can protect our children. I’m very surprised that as a parent you are not glad that this came out. Your child could have been his next victim. I know the victim (she looks 14 for those who said she could have looked older); he lied about his age, marital status, etc and lured her into this sick situation. We should be praying for her well being and recovery through instead of worrying about him. He will get what he deserves!!!
Not all facts are known

United States

#73 Feb 17, 2012
Sickened parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for his children and wife, however he should have thought about what this would do to them before did what he did. I’m thankful that the media warns us of these pedophiles and where they live so we can protect our children. I’m very surprised that as a parent you are not glad that this came out. Your child could have been his next victim. I know the victim (she looks 14 for those who said she could have looked older); he lied about his age, marital status, etc and lured her into this sick situation. We should be praying for her well being and recovery through instead of worrying about him. He will get what he deserves!!!
You are going off of one side of the story. I understand that the "victim" was willing to repeatedly meet with him. He does not appear to be anything but his age, and even if you think he looks younger he does not look young enough to pass for anything under 30 so the decision was on her as well. Have you stopped to think that if she thought she would get in trouble for her actions that she would lie about the whole situation? To save face to her parents of why she was willing to meet someone that she was chatting online with? To have sex in parking lots in a vehicle? And make such poor decisions? She was not tricked into anything....she chose to meet up, to take part in the acts, and to meet again. Age, marital status, and these types of things would not make a 14 year old willing to do such acts unless it was something they wanted to do. Especially to do it repeatedly. She is not completely innocent if you ask me. I would be willing to bet this is not the first instance of these types of acts by this child. But knowing a little more than you may know I believe she knew what was going on and it would have continued had the parents not noticed certain things over the weekend and forced her to tell the "story" that she told.
I am by no means saying this is not a horrible situation,I find it repulsing the same as others posting. But you don't know the background of either parties involved as much as you may think you do. No one will ever know the actual truths behind these events.
Really

Ferrum, VA

#74 Feb 18, 2012
Not all facts are known wrote:
<quoted text>
You are going off of one side of the story. I understand that the "victim" was willing to repeatedly meet with him. He does not appear to be anything but his age, and even if you think he looks younger he does not look young enough to pass for anything under 30 so the decision was on her as well. Have you stopped to think that if she thought she would get in trouble for her actions that she would lie about the whole situation? To save face to her parents of why she was willing to meet someone that she was chatting online with? To have sex in parking lots in a vehicle? And make such poor decisions? She was not tricked into anything....she chose to meet up, to take part in the acts, and to meet again. Age, marital status, and these types of things would not make a 14 year old willing to do such acts unless it was something they wanted to do. Especially to do it repeatedly. She is not completely innocent if you ask me. I would be willing to bet this is not the first instance of these types of acts by this child. But knowing a little more than you may know I believe she knew what was going on and it would have continued had the parents not noticed certain things over the weekend and forced her to tell the "story" that she told.
I am by no means saying this is not a horrible situation,I find it repulsing the same as others posting. But you don't know the background of either parties involved as much as you may think you do. No one will ever know the actual truths behind these events.
This is a horrible situation. It does not matter what the background is of either party. What matters is that he was the adult and he should have known better. He was the ADULT! There is NO excuse for this behavior. She is a child, no matter what she may have looked like, she was a CHILD in the eyes of the law. People can speculate on whatever issues this child may have, but it does not matter. He could have sad no and refrained from this behavior. I bet the law does not say "oh, she has issues", so it is OK what he did. Also, no one actually knows the background of these two because if they did, someone may have attempted to stop this HORRIBLE act!
Not all facts are known

United States

#75 Feb 20, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a horrible situation. It does not matter what the background is of either party. What matters is that he was the adult and he should have known better. He was the ADULT! There is NO excuse for this behavior. She is a child, no matter what she may have looked like, she was a CHILD in the eyes of the law. People can speculate on whatever issues this child may have, but it does not matter. He could have sad no and refrained from this behavior. I bet the law does not say "oh, she has issues", so it is OK what he did. Also, no one actually knows the background of these two because if they did, someone may have attempted to stop this HORRIBLE act!
Did I not state that this is a horrible situation that I find repulsing? And that we would never know the truths behind the whole situation? And I am pretty sure I was not making excuses for either parties. I was just letting the person know who claims to know the "Victim" that they do not have all the facts and to say such things as if they know first hand what was said in these private chats and in a vehicle where they were not present should be kept to themselves.
My point was that no one in the direct circles of the two parties knew what was going on and therefore this could not have been prevented due to lies on both sides (only now known in hindsight). That people lie to hide their demons. Including young children who fear punishment for their actions that have hurt, embarrassed, or just let their parents down. And that a child who did not already have some issues of some sort would have made the same decisions as this poor girl did, but to claim that she is just a victim is not the case, there were no guns to her head to make her do the things she did and agreed to do willingly. Granite the adult should have known better but if anyone on this forum had truly known this man they would be in shock and as confused as his poor family and friends are by his actions.
Wow

Charlottesville, VA

#76 Feb 20, 2012
It makes not one bit a diffence what all the facts are. She's a minor he was the ADULT. He knew better but chose to pursue this child and now he will pay the price. Simple as that...
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#77 Feb 20, 2012
Wow wrote:
It makes not one bit a diffence what all the facts are. She's a minor he was the ADULT. He knew better but chose to pursue this child and now he will pay the price. Simple as that...
This is correct.

If those would go back and read my posts, she cannot consent, so if he is guilty, he will pay the price.
New to This

United States

#78 Feb 20, 2012
Wow wrote:
It makes not one bit a diffence what all the facts are. She's a minor he was the ADULT. He knew better but chose to pursue this child and now he will pay the price. Simple as that...
It certainly does make a difference what the facts were....If he thought she was atleast 18 then she too was an adult, in his mind! The FACT is that we don't know what either person CLAIMED their age was!!
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#79 Feb 20, 2012
New to This wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly does make a difference what the facts were....If he thought she was atleast 18 then she too was an adult, in his mind! The FACT is that we don't know what either person CLAIMED their age was!!
you are right, it does make a difference what the facts were.

It does not matter, though, if he thought she was an adult. She cannot consent.

You're right, the FACT is that we don't know what either person CLAIMED their age was!!, but you're wrong if you think that matters.

In VA, she cannot consent.

The moral of the story is, if you're over 18 in VA; you better damned well know how old the person you're engaging is.
the truth

Roanoke, VA

#80 Feb 21, 2012
Make an example of him.
Angel

Richmond, VA

#81 Feb 24, 2012
Learn your grammar before you can criticize others....LMAO
Steve

United States

#82 Feb 24, 2012
What is it with Fluvanna? Are pervs getting too worked up over bikini kids at those private beaches?
Really

Ferrum, VA

#83 Feb 29, 2012
the stupid women he worked with thinks it is ok what dumb a s s did they have a brain just like him pea
New to This

United States

#84 Feb 29, 2012
Really wrote:
the stupid women he worked with thinks it is ok what dumb a s s did they have a brain just like him pea
you must have the inside scoop or atleast think you do to accuse the women he work with...Really, you're the STUPID one!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dumfries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concerned Parent Sep 11 New2stafford 2
Katlin Aikens Aug 30 Trac 1
News Dinwiddie Sheriff's deputy injured during traff... (Jul '14) Aug '16 Petersburg 6
News NAACP Takes Aim at Confederate Flag Over Inters... (Jun '15) Aug '16 Luther 16
Review: 610 Carwash (Nov '08) Jul '16 JBR 107
kneegers in Stafford (Nov '15) Jul '16 Duped 4
Review: Belmont Bay HOA (May '13) Jul '16 Jonathan Paul 6

Dumfries Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dumfries Mortgages