Marriage Amendment Signs Stolen, Vandalized In Duluth

There are 2 comments on the WDIO story from Oct 8, 2012, titled Marriage Amendment Signs Stolen, Vandalized In Duluth. In it, WDIO reports that:

The marriage amendment is a controversial subject on November's ballot, and several people have had their campaign signs taken or vandalized in their yards.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDIO.

Kim Rose

Duluth, MN

#1 Oct 8, 2012
It's unconscionable that either side of this amendment controversy should resort to acts of vandalism, but I understand it does stir our emotions to the most knee reactions.
I have over the years opened my heart and mind to the possibility that we are all "children of God" and "created equal". These are not exclusionary ideas but rather complimentary. One person in this article was quoted to have said,“Marriage is between a man and a woman. When you try to redefine things, when you try to change our basic building blocks, it's like you're ripping out foundation." Slavery has been a building block of civilization. Every great or empirical nation, including our own, was build on the backs of slaves. Was it right? Of course not. Did the thought of emancipation enrage, debase, and frighten slave owners whose livelihoods depended on it? Absolutely. Did it need to change? Of course it did.
Taking strides to create equality in all people is the right thing to do. But it scares people who feel their sense of morality or life's foundation is at risk. Status quo makes people feel secure, but it also stagnates the hope of growth as a community. This November we are being asked to define what we believe 'equality' means. Is it to perpetuate spiritual slavery or free people to live loving, commited lives?
We Minnesotans have prided ourselves on standing above the fray, doing what's right for all people regardless of personal interests or security. I think it's a lesson learned over decades of pulling together to fight the life threatening, harsh winters. We are 'Minnesota nice' for a reason; because we are reasonable people. This November do the right thing for all of us. Stand above the fray. Vote "NO" Minnesota.
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 27, 2012
Kim Rose wrote:
It's unconscionable that either side of this amendment controversy should resort to acts of vandalism, but I understand it does stir our emotions to the most knee reactions.
I have over the years opened my heart and mind to the possibility that we are all "children of God" and "created equal". These are not exclusionary ideas but rather complimentary. One person in this article was quoted to have said,“Marriage is between a man and a woman. When you try to redefine things, when you try to change our basic building blocks, it's like you're ripping out foundation." Slavery has been a building block of civilization. Every great or empirical nation, including our own, was build on the backs of slaves. Was it right? Of course not. Did the thought of emancipation enrage, debase, and frighten slave owners whose livelihoods depended on it? Absolutely. Did it need to change? Of course it did.
Taking strides to create equality in all people is the right thing to do. But it scares people who feel their sense of morality or life's foundation is at risk. Status quo makes people feel secure, but it also stagnates the hope of growth as a community. This November we are being asked to define what we believe 'equality' means. Is it to perpetuate spiritual slavery or free people to live loving, commited lives?
We Minnesotans have prided ourselves on standing above the fray, doing what's right for all people regardless of personal interests or security. I think it's a lesson learned over decades of pulling together to fight the life threatening, harsh winters. We are 'Minnesota nice' for a reason; because we are reasonable people. This November do the right thing for all of us. Stand above the fray. Vote "NO" Minnesota.
Duluth -- the city of NUTS and FRUITS!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duluth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sports-----specifically a local sports star----... Sat craig 2
News Survey: People feeling safer in Downtown Duluth Fri Bonnie Zemke 1
You jerks are toast (Mar '14) May 12 Trololol 21
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States May 5 Johair_DeadManWal... 2
News 2,000 People Gather in Duluth for Jehovah's Wit... Apr '15 curtjester1 1
News 10 years after Antonich's murder, the pain lingers (Apr '07) Apr '15 duluth mn 50
News Duluth man with exercise ball slashing fetish s... (Sep '09) Mar '15 Rasputin 19
More from around the web

Duluth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]