Survivor puts a face on abortion debate

Survivor puts a face on abortion debate

There are 40 comments on the Telegraph Herald story from Oct 23, 2010, titled Survivor puts a face on abortion debate. In it, Telegraph Herald reports that:

Melissa Ohden looks at herself as the face of abortion. The face that survived. Ohden, a Christian and pro-life speaker, presented her tale as an abortion-attempt survivor Thursday morning in front of a mainly student audience in Alumni Hall at the University of Dubuque.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Telegraph Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Unborn babies are people too”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Oct 23, 2010
The efficacious antidotes to Big Abortion's continuing lies and lawbreaking [ http://liveaction.org/rosaacuna ]: 4D ultrasounds and abortion survivors telling their stories for the world to hear.

..."Weighing less than 3 pounds [after the saline-abortion attempt] and suffering from severe respiratory problems, jaundice, seizures and requiring multiple blood transfusions, doctors assumed Ohden wouldn't last long.

"However, she lived to be adopted. To date, she reports no physical limitations, and she has a 2-year-old daughter, who was born in the same hospital Ohden was supposed to die in more than 30 years earlier.

"Through her travels around the globe, Ohden discusses how abortion touches more than just a woman and a child.

"We can read statistics and we can read news articles every day about how abortion affects pre-born children and how it has long-lasting consequences on people who have abortions, but literally, people need to come face-to-face with somebody like me to see that this is what abortion actually looks like," she said. "I am as much a human being now as I was then."
TULSA TIME

AOL

#2 Oct 23, 2010
Lux et Veritas wrote:
The efficacious antidotes to Big Abortion's continuing lies and lawbreaking [ http://liveaction.org/rosaacuna ]: 4D ultrasounds and abortion survivors telling their stories for the world to hear.
..."Weighing less than 3 pounds [after the saline-abortion attempt] and suffering from severe respiratory problems, jaundice, seizures and requiring multiple blood transfusions, doctors assumed Ohden wouldn't last long.
"However, she lived to be adopted. To date, she reports no physical limitations, and she has a 2-year-old daughter, who was born in the same hospital Ohden was supposed to die in more than 30 years earlier.
"Through her travels around the globe, Ohden discusses how abortion touches more than just a woman and a child.
"We can read statistics and we can read news articles every day about how abortion affects pre-born children and how it has long-lasting consequences on people who have abortions, but literally, people need to come face-to-face with somebody like me to see that this is what abortion actually looks like," she said. "I am as much a human being now as I was then."
Another abortion survivor speaks out, and for good reason! Here are some more abortion survivor stories that might interest you and others.

http://www.teenbreaks.com/abortion/abortionsu...

“A person is a person no matter”

Since: Sep 07

how small.

#3 Oct 23, 2010

With young women walking into abortion clinics every day, Kris Nauman, executive director at the Clarity Clinic in Dubuque, said Ohden works as the voice for all of the unborn children who can't be heard.

"This is the greatest thing I could ever do with my life," Ohden said. "This is the greatest gift I can ever give my child, is to share this message and hopefully make people's lives better and improve our communities.

"It doesn't get any better. I wouldn't change this for the world."

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#4 Oct 24, 2010
Why do I suspect this story stinks on ice? Is it the idea that the woman waited until early the 8th month to abort, and that a doctor performed an elective abortion that late in the process? The fact that "scalding" refers to heat, not saline?

Maybe it's the PLM confusion in these matters, since they always whine about how "babies are pulled apart" during abortion but this one was just gently removed--unlike all the others you people say occur all the time. No brains removed, as lux likes to whimper about, no crushed skull, nothing. Even if the saline were to be used, you would still need to dismember the fetus to remove it.

And yet NONE of that happened.

Hmmmmm.....

how small.

#5 Oct 24, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
Why do I suspect this story stinks on ice? Is it the idea that the woman waited until early the 8th month to abort, and that a doctor performed an elective abortion that late in the process? The fact that "scalding" refers to heat, not saline?
Maybe it's the PLM confusion in these matters, since they always whine about how "babies are pulled apart" during abortion but this one was just gently removed--unlike all the others you people say occur all the time. No brains removed, as lux likes to whimper about, no crushed skull, nothing. Even if the saline were to be used, you would still need to dismember the fetus to remove it.
Hmmmmm.....
Saline acts on an unborn babies flesh like acid and is done so to kill the unborn child and it has had so many problems that it is no longer the popular way to abort babies. The babies killed by saline abortions didn't always need to be pulled apart, becaause the child was dead and was delievered just like a late term still births.

how small.

#6 Oct 24, 2010
TULSA TIME wrote:
<quoted text>Another abortion survivor speaks out, and for good reason! Here are some more abortion survivor stories that might interest you and others.
very interesting

Indianapolis

#7 Oct 24, 2010
The whole purpose of an LTA is to AVOID delivery. At that point, aborting is done for medical purposes.
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>Saline acts on an unborn babies flesh like acid and is done so to kill the unborn child and it has had so many problems that it is no longer the popular way to abort babies. The babies killed by saline abortions didn't always need to be pulled apart, becaause the child was dead and was delievered just like a late term still births.

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Oct 25, 2010
TULSA TIME wrote:
<quoted text>Another abortion survivor speaks out, and for good reason! Here are some more abortion survivor stories that might interest you and others.
Melissa continues to be very effective; abortion acolytes' slogans don't avail at all in the face of first-person testimony and visual proof of the humanity of the unborn: http://www.wrtl.org/fetaldevelopment/monthbym...

http://www.melissaohden.com/events -- Ohden's speaking events

"...Melissa Ohden has had an enormous impact on those who heard her speak during her tour in Australia during September. In only three weeks Melissa spoke to over 2,000 people who attended events to hear her incredible story – high school students, the general public, business people, politicians, pregnancy support workers and others involved in various pro life fields and groups.

"Thousands more heard her speak on 5 different Australian radio stations and read about her in newspaper articles. She was on the front page of the Sunraysia Daily (Mildura local paper), with another large article on page four. She was involved in filming a television advertisement and YouTube footage, yet to be released.

"Melissa demonstrated compassion and forgiveness when telling her story, and her audiences responded. Some with tears, sharing their own stories of abortion, or the stories of relatives or friends that impacted on them, some with gratitude that Melissa is here at all to tell her powerful story. On a topic that can be so divisive, Melissa engaged and embraced everyone that she came in contact with."

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#9 Oct 25, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
Hmmmmm.....
Right, cp. This doesn't pass the smell test. Funny none of the PLM possess even the minimal critical skills needed to analye a fairy tale like this. 8 months? Nope, not buying it.

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#10 Oct 25, 2010
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>Saline acts on an unborn babies flesh like acid and is done so to kill the unborn child and it has had so many problems that it is no longer the popular way to abort babies. The babies killed by saline abortions didn't always need to be pulled apart, becaause the child was dead and was delievered just like a late term still births.
Idiot.
Saline abortions are no longer being done. Why don't you know that? Is your pathetic life so dull that you have to batten onto this kind of nonsense?

how small.

#11 Oct 25, 2010
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
Saline abortions are no longer being done. Why don't you know that? Is your pathetic life so dull that you have to batten onto this kind of nonsense?
I am not the idiot, because I know saline abortions are no longer being done at least regurlarly, and I know why: Because they failed many times and they left the baby harmed and to be born with birth defects. They were not effective enough to silence the life growing and developing in the womb and the resulting survivors are left still able to speak out against abortion and that is precisely what they do.

how small.

#12 Oct 25, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
The whole purpose of an LTA is to AVOID delivery. At that point, aborting is done for medical purposes.
<quoted text>
A baby is still delivered, the only problem is that it is a dead baby!

Besides isn't your side the ones that say all abortions are a medical purpose? Now you want to claim that just late term abortions are the only medical purpose?

Hmmm, what were you saying about the smell test!

Indianapolis

#13 Oct 25, 2010
Let's presume, for the sake of argument since she obviously is never going to open her medical records to verify her story, that she is telling the truth. It still has nothing to do with the right of a woman to terminate her pregnancy. She was supposedly in the 8th month--when viability is already established and when few doctors will abort unless there is a medical emergency. It has nothing to do with a first or second-trimester fetus, which is not viable.
Lux et Veritas wrote:
<quoted text>
Melissa continues to be very effective; abortion acolytes' slogans don't avail at all in the face of first-person testimony and visual proof of the humanity of the unborn: http://www.wrtl.org/fetaldevelopment/monthbym...
"...Melissa Ohden has had an enormous impact on those who heard her speak during her tour in Australia during September. In only three weeks Melissa spoke to over 2,000 people who attended events to hear her incredible story – high school students, the general public, business people, politicians, pregnancy support workers and others involved in various pro life fields and groups.
"Thousands more heard her speak on 5 different Australian radio stations and read about her in newspaper articles. She was on the front page of the Sunraysia Daily (Mildura local paper), with another large article on page four. She was involved in filming a television advertisement and YouTube footage, yet to be released.
"Melissa demonstrated compassion and forgiveness when telling her story, and her audiences responded. Some with tears, sharing their own stories of abortion, or the stories of relatives or friends that impacted on them, some with gratitude that Melissa is here at all to tell her powerful story. On a topic that can be so divisive, Melissa engaged and embraced everyone that she came in contact with."

Indianapolis

#14 Oct 25, 2010
So why do you PLM'ers natter on about how "babies ar torn apart in the womb" when clearly they are just being expelled whole? Get your story straight. If you are going to wait until the 8th month for an abortion, you're going to need resection of the fetus, since it is far harder to expel a stillborn than a live one.

I never said all abortions are done for medical purposes; at best, I've said that every pregnancy carries risks and a woman gets to choose if those risks outweigh the benefits. What I have always said is that women abort for a multitude of reasons, none of which are any of your business.
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>A baby is still delivered, the only problem is that it is a dead baby!
Besides isn't your side the ones that say all abortions are a medical purpose? Now you want to claim that just late term abortions are the only medical purpose?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Oct 25, 2010
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>A baby is still delivered, the only problem is that it is a dead baby!
Let's see just one post where a PCer claimed that all abortions were done for medical reason. Just one. Otherwise admit you're talking out of your ass.

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 25, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
Let's presume, for the sake of argument since she obviously is never going to open her medical records to verify her story, that she is telling the truth. It still has nothing to do with the right of a woman to terminate her pregnancy. She was supposedly in the 8th month--when viability is already established and when few doctors will abort unless there is a medical emergency. It has nothing to do with a first or second-trimester fetus, which is not viable.
<quoted text>
We don't know anything about her medical records, do we?

"Few doctors will abort unless there is a medical emergency"? Hardly. Abortionist Warren Hern: "I will certify that any pregnancy is a threat to a woman's life and could cause grievous injury to her physical health."

And then there's the pandemic lying at abortuaries:

"The abortion nurse's daughter: Inside minds at the mill" -- http://www.wnd.com/index.php...

..."I asked Abigail if due dates were ever adjusted. I recall the hospital where I worked admitted a mother for an abortion for fetal anomalies at 27 and sixth-sevenths weeks' gestation, according to her last menstrual period (LMP). But the attending physician charted that according to ultrasound she was only 23 weeks along, coincidentally the upper age limit allowed for abortions. The baby was born (alive) weighing two-and-a-half pounds, clearly as old as the LMP indicated.

Abigail witnessed similar scenarios. Since her clinic was only allowed to abort up to 16 weeks, due dates were either dialed down with the help of the mother, encouraged to "re-imagine" the date of her LMP. Or dates were manipulated by staff, who told the mother LMP dating was unreliable because women can skip periods or have spotting they don't realize is a period.

"I don't remember a woman ever being turned away because she was too advanced in her pregnancy," Abigail wrote me. "The latest date I ever heard was 28 weeks, although women were always told their date was 16 weeks or less."

What did staff think of aborting mothers? "They called them 'stupid sluts' if it wasn't their first abortion, or 'brood mares' if they chose life and left before aborting," wrote Abigail.

Indianapolis

#17 Oct 25, 2010
You forgot something:
Dr. Warren Hern, a leading practitioner of very late abortions who wrote the textbook Abortion Practice, commented on the Daschle amendment,“I say every pregnancy carries a risk of death,” and therefore,“I will certify that any pregnancy is a threat to a woman’s life and could cause ‘grievous injury’ to her ‘physical health.’”
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/keyfactsPBA....

Medically speaking, every pregnancy DOES carry a risk to the woman's health and even her life. Women still die unexpectedly in labor and childbirth. You have yet to prove that women just wait until the 8th month to electively abort.

Your quotes are all second-hand and medical,y irrelevant. LMP's aren't a valid way of determining the length of pregnancy, especially given that most women have irregular periods to begin with. Secondly, fetuses can be smaller or larger than statistical norms, so size itself does not determine the qge of teh fetus. Development is a far more accurate tool--something this woman doesn't discuss.
Lux et Veritas wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know anything about her medical records, do we?
"Few doctors will abort unless there is a medical emergency"? Hardly. Abortionist Warren Hern: "I will certify that any pregnancy is a threat to a woman's life and could cause grievous injury to her physical health."
And then there's the pandemic lying at abortuaries:
"The abortion nurse's daughter: Inside minds at the mill" -- http://www.wnd.com/index.php...
..."I asked Abigail if due dates were ever adjusted. I recall the hospital where I worked admitted a mother for an abortion for fetal anomalies at 27 and sixth-sevenths weeks' gestation, according to her last menstrual period (LMP). But the attending physician charted that according to ultrasound she was only 23 weeks along, coincidentally the upper age limit allowed for abortions. The baby was born (alive) weighing two-and-a-half pounds, clearly as old as the LMP indicated.
Abigail witnessed similar scenarios. Since her clinic was only allowed to abort up to 16 weeks, due dates were either dialed down with the help of the mother, encouraged to "re-imagine" the date of her LMP. Or dates were manipulated by staff, who told the mother LMP dating was unreliable because women can skip periods or have spotting they don't realize is a period.
"I don't remember a woman ever being turned away because she was too advanced in her pregnancy," Abigail wrote me. "The latest date I ever heard was 28 weeks, although women were always told their date was 16 weeks or less."
What did staff think of aborting mothers? "They called them 'stupid sluts' if it wasn't their first abortion, or 'brood mares' if they chose life and left before aborting," wrote Abigail.

how small.

#18 Oct 27, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
So why do you PLM'ers natter on about how "babies ar torn apart in the womb" when clearly they are just being expelled whole? Get your story straight. If you are going to wait until the 8th month for an abortion, you're going to need resection of the fetus, since it is far harder to expel a stillborn than a live one.
I never said all abortions are done for medical purposes; at best, I've said that every pregnancy carries risks and a woman gets to choose if those risks outweigh the benefits. What I have always said is that women abort for a multitude of reasons, none of which are any of your business.
<quoted text>
Every thing you do carries risk, and even not doing some things involve risk. If you walk out to the street corner to get your mail, you are taking a risk that a car or a person doesn't come by and get you or that you don't trip and fall on a fallen branch, and not going out to get the mail you take a risk that you won't get enough vitamen D. So you claiming that every pregnancy involves risk really doesn't mean much especially when you consider that the life resulting from pregnancy has the potential to do so much good for the pregnant mother. There is a thing called love that is something that grows from the lives of both the mother and child.

As for the babies being ripped and torn apart in the womb that is true, and sometimes the the baby is delivered whole, but dead, either way the result is the same, a dead baby is delivered and your side can no longer hide that fact.

how small.

#19 Oct 27, 2010
Lux et Veritas wrote:
<quoted text>
It is great that she is having such an impact, but it is hard to argue against a survivor of abortion with out being seen as the cold hearted pro-abort that you must be.

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Oct 27, 2010
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>It is great that she is having such an impact, but it is hard to argue against a survivor of abortion with out being seen as the cold hearted pro-abort that you must be.
Sufficiently cold-hearted to argue that this little person isn't a human being with an unalienable God-given right to life.

http://liveaction.org/blog/the-power-of-a-por... -- This is what life looks like

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubuque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dubuque Women's March Mar 4 Mike Smith 4
Katrina Althaus? Jan '17 Curious 1
News Dubuque's first mosque opens Dec '16 Old Pom 13
Would anyone like to see me? (Sep '13) Dec '16 veiny 8
News Parents complain about book used in Dubuque sch... Nov '16 BAH 1
Discreet fun wanted Oct '16 Gorilla715 1
News Dubuque police warn residents after skimmer fou... Oct '16 Yonis 3

Dubuque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance