Bilingualism the voice of the future

Full story: Telegraph Herald

Over a spoonful of oats, I spot the freebie on the front of the Cheerios box. Forget the decoder rings; there's a book inside! I pull out "Tea for Ruby," a children's story written by Sarah Ferguson and illustrated by Robin Glasser .
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Jan 21, 2011

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Good! We should value this! High school kids are encourage to be bilingual .. most colleges require it! Most countries are at least bi lingual

Wake up USA.. time to join the world
Jeremiah

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Should be a choice, not required.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Judged:

Not required ... just that Spanish is getting more common in US.

Too bad so many whack jobs in US get their panties in a bunch "'cause god don't speak no Spanish! Evrbdy no's he talks English!"

Oh gosh, so many in the USA are exceedingly ignorant of their own ignorance. And they don't care about apathy.
Jeremiah

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

I'm happy for you if you are able to speak more than one language, but English suits me just fine, as I have no plans to go elsewhere.

If I were a world traveler, then yes, I would need to brush up on other languages, but staying here in the good ole U S of A, I don't and should never have to learn another language, because ENGLISH is OUR langauge, not Spanish, not Chinese, not Russian, or any other - English.

Call me what you want, but I don't see any other country caving into making everyone speak English. People do it because they want to, but everything in their country is in their own language, not hundred others.
Really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

The fallacy behind this article is in assuming that spanish speakers in America are literate in Spanish.

The reality is that most Spanish speakers, in Florida at least, speak gutter Spanish and gutter English.

They're not bilingual, they're semi-lingual in two languages.
Speeders are Murderers

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Bilingualism is extremely wasteful!!! How does it help a country to have different languages??? BL is just more stupidity from the libs!

Since: Nov 09

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Judged:

English is america's common language that binds our country together. Of course knowing other languages is plus, but thats beside the point. Bilingualism is a crutch for people who come to live in america, but do not want to learn english. Americans should not have to accommodate these people. I welcome legal immigrants who come to america to assimilate and learn english, our common language. Immigrants who come to live in america as invaders should not be welcome here.
Depride

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2011

English must be our first and only national language. Doesnt mean you shouldnt learn others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Dubuque Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dubuque People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••