Family frustrated by lack of charges ...

Family frustrated by lack of charges in Dyersville slaying

There are 97 comments on the The Gazette story from Dec 31, 2008, titled Family frustrated by lack of charges in Dyersville slaying. In it, The Gazette reports that:

One month later, no charges have been filed against Christopher Leppert, who told authorities he shot 24-year-old David Herman in self-defense Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gazette.

wow

Milton, FL

#66 Oct 31, 2009
listen up u north scott piece of sh** u just stated they climbed in through a window to get into the place your words not mine. WHO THE F*** HAS THE BLINDERS ON. LETS SEE, HE BROKE INTO A APARTMENT, AFTER TRESSPASSING, AND ASSUALTED AN INNIOCENT PERSON, AND THEN WENT TO HIS CAR AND ( AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED )TRIED TO COMMITT A CAR JACKING, NO WONDER THE DUMB ASS IS DEAD.
Why does the law pertain to everyone but herman! GREY AREA my a** you know herman F***ed up and now your trying to justify it, now i know why he had a permit to carry, because of welfare recieving, non rent paying, climb in through a back window, loosers like herman.
grand jury

Guttenberg, IA

#67 Nov 2, 2009
wow wrote:
listen up u north scott piece of sh** u just stated they climbed in through a window to get into the place your words not mine. WHO THE F*** HAS THE BLINDERS ON. LETS SEE, HE BROKE INTO A APARTMENT, AFTER TRESSPASSING, AND ASSUALTED AN INNIOCENT PERSON, AND THEN WENT TO HIS CAR AND ( AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED )TRIED TO COMMITT A CAR JACKING, NO WONDER THE DUMB ASS IS DEAD.
Why does the law pertain to everyone but herman! GREY AREA my a** you know herman F***ed up and now your trying to justify it, now i know why he had a permit to carry, because of welfare recieving, non rent paying, climb in through a back window, loosers like herman.
they weren't just crawling through the window like you had said ,they were moving out that way,had been all day Friday,it was easier that way.GREY AREA!And his girlfriend is the one that crawled in because they were getting there stuff,they had no idea the locksmith was even there til they came out of their apartment and saw him there!So get your sh!t straight.So now that you know what happened are you coming over to the grey area yet.Herman was not on welfare those apartments are for low housing,but 635.00 per month is outrageous,that is how much his rent was,I bet u pay half that.Stay in your black n white bullsh!t,the grey area don't want your negativity.Go suck Leppert's nob some more you dirty cocksucker!!!!!
you know who

United States

#68 Nov 2, 2009
My brother is gone, and you people want to just focus on him not paying rent. crazy..he wasnt able to spend the holidays with his family, that following weekend he was going to meet his just born niece...he didnt have a chance to..how would you feel if that was your brother,dad, uncle, granfather? ya thats what I thought. I think about david every second..wishing he was here. but..hes not. you people are on here talking about how you know him..but you dont.he was a great brother, son, and father. he was indeed protecting his family, and at that time going with how he felt. If you think about it..when 2 people fight, they get arrested for an assault, or assault causing bodily injury..depends on the assault, this puke SHOT my brother!! and he still walks!! no arrest no charges. yes its going to jury and Im praying this murderer goes to jail!! We love you david and you'll always be remember, Ill always remind my babies on who you are, in what a great brother u are and uncle you are. I love you bro!!!
you know who

Milton, FL

#69 Nov 2, 2009
boo-hoo "david was indeed protecting his family and going with how he felt". your words not mine A LOCKSMITH WAS INDEED PROTECTING HIS LIFE AND GOING WITH HOW HE FELT HMMM make a person think dosent it? self defence?
you know who

United States

#70 Nov 2, 2009
you know who wrote:
boo-hoo "david was indeed protecting his family and going with how he felt". your words not mine A LOCKSMITH WAS INDEED PROTECTING HIS LIFE AND GOING WITH HOW HE FELT HMMM make a person think dosent it? self defence?
Its not self defence you idiot and david didnt even attack him. you dont even know what happened, so shut ur mouth!! he was protecting his life? then why didnt he jump in his car and leave then? he was already in there to get the gun! right!! thats what I thought and there was a cop nearby, and he didnt get them to come over, he didnt call the police his girlfriend did. you dont even have a clue. matter fact Im not even gonna pay attention to ur dumba--! ur probably the murderers family!! and protect his life? r u serious he had so many options, and he chose to shoot and end my brothers life, ur a smart one.
you know who

Milton, FL

#71 Nov 3, 2009
he couldnt get away in his car because herman followed him and jumped in the car and tried to commit a car jacking
you know who

United States

#72 Nov 3, 2009
you know who wrote:
he couldnt get away in his car because herman followed him and jumped in the car and tried to commit a car jacking
u r stupid. david didnt even follow him to the car.
grand jury

Guttenberg, IA

#73 Nov 4, 2009
you know who wrote:
Your a f_cking retard, car jacking???You really are dumb aren't ya.All Lepperts are losers,every single one of ya....hope he's in jail along time,that piece of sh*t,he's a liar,and an instigator.By the way the girlfriend is the one who followed leppert to his car,David only followed when he realized his girl was in trouble,leppert should of drove off,but he didn't, he killed an innocent hard working father.So, play hide and go f*ck yourself,get a life loser!!!!!
loser from eldridge

Milton, FL

#74 Nov 4, 2009
ok lets review this again. herman didnt pay the rent, herman showed up on a day after he was orderd out, herman and his girlfriend were tresspassing, herman and his girlfriend climbed in through a window, herman and his girlfriend confronted a guy who had nothing to do with herman and his girlfriend being evicted, or them not paying rent or anything else, so why did they even confront him? they had already broken into the apartment. a fight started and the fight stopped, then it started at or in the car again, either way david herman was pissed off and was taking it out on someone that didnt know him or his girlfriend. simply put a locksmith had to defend himself against a man enraged that he had just lost his home. YOU PEOPLE KEEP ASKING WHY DIDNT HE JUST LEAVE? AND I HAVE TO ASK, WHY DIDNT HERMAN AND HIS GIRLFRIEND JUST LEAVE? THE HAD NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE THERE. A court orderd eviction IS NOT A SUGGESTION, but a order to leave. they had business even confronting the locksmith AT ALL, especially since they had already been in the apartment. im sorry you people lost your friend,brother,cousin, but he made his choices.
people said jeffery dalmer was a nice guy too
you know who

United States

#75 Nov 5, 2009
loser from eldridge wrote:
ok lets review this again. herman didnt pay the rent, herman showed up on a day after he was orderd out, herman and his girlfriend were tresspassing, herman and his girlfriend climbed in through a window, herman and his girlfriend confronted a guy who had nothing to do with herman and his girlfriend being evicted, or them not paying rent or anything else, so why did they even confront him? they had already broken into the apartment. a fight started and the fight stopped, then it started at or in the car again, either way david herman was pissed off and was taking it out on someone that didnt know him or his girlfriend. simply put a locksmith had to defend himself against a man enraged that he had just lost his home. YOU PEOPLE KEEP ASKING WHY DIDNT HE JUST LEAVE? AND I HAVE TO ASK, WHY DIDNT HERMAN AND HIS GIRLFRIEND JUST LEAVE? THE HAD NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE THERE. A court orderd eviction IS NOT A SUGGESTION, but a order to leave. they had business even confronting the locksmith AT ALL, especially since they had already been in the apartment. im sorry you people lost your friend,brother,cousin, but he made his choices.
whatever say what you want. leppert is wrong no matter what. dont matter who jumps thru windows or even if there fighting. No one deserves to be shot and killed!! Love you David, he will be locked up soon!!
you know who

United States

#76 Nov 5, 2009
I cannot wait to find out what prison he goes too....wont be hard though. wont last long!!lol
you know who

Milton, FL

#79 Nov 6, 2009
UNLESS it is dropped because it was proven to be self defence which is what it looks like
how it is

United States

#80 Nov 8, 2009
you know who wrote:
UNLESS it is dropped because it was proven to be self defence which is what it looks like
dont matter what comes around goes around. self defence u people watch the news and believe it!! thats dumb they dont even know whats going on!! self defence my a--!! bet you would be pretty upset if it was ur boyfrind husband or girlfriend that that happened to. wouldnt you want ur other half to defend u? ya well thats what david was doing, dont say anything about david unless you know him, in that case you dont!!! so shut ur mouth jerk!!
hey F_ckface

Guttenberg, IA

#81 Nov 9, 2009
You are f*cking retarded aren't ya????These questions have all been answered if you go back and actually look.The locksmith should of had a sheriff with him that is how an eviction usually happens,what is wrong with you people!!!This shooting shouldn't of happened and would of been prevented if the eviction went the way it should of.Loser huh,well you are the one here bad mouthing a dead man,shot to death,go mind your own business.Learn how to read and go back and do some research as*hole.David was 24 and had a long life a head of him,that is an awfully early age to die.His family is still in mourning and all you can do is sit here and bad mouth people,get a life or a job,do somethin',you are indeed the loser here,you and the Leppert family!!!!David you are missed....
how it is

United States

#82 Nov 10, 2009
thank u for whom ever said that!! yes david you will be remembered!! dont matter if he was getting evicted no one deserves to die. sure would like to meet who ever thats talking about david...mmm Im gonna stick up for david till the day I die. ur right the fu--ing sheriff should of been there. so, by law, seen it happen where I live you can go get ur sh--, and get out of there until they show. leppert likes to hit woman, and murder innocent people. I hope he rots in jail or wherever he goes, cant wait to find out where he heads to. Heard prison is not a joke, people like him will get ate up!!
not taking sides

Semmes, AL

#83 Nov 10, 2009
hey F_ckface wrote:
<quoted text>You are f*cking retarded aren't ya????These questions have all been answered if you go back and actually look.The locksmith should of had a sheriff with him that is how an eviction usually happens,what is wrong with you people!!!This shooting shouldn't of happened and would of been prevented if the eviction went the way it should of.Loser huh,well you are the one here bad mouthing a dead man,shot to death,go mind your own business.Learn how to read and go back and do some research as*hole.David was 24 and had a long life a head of him,that is an awfully early age to die.His family is still in mourning and all you can do is sit here and bad mouth people,get a life or a job,do somethin',you are indeed the loser here,you and the Leppert family!!!!David you are missed....
I knew both these guys so I'm not taking sides because nothing in these posts will change what happenned or effect the outcome of the case. I simply want to address your comment on evictions. Legal eviction in Iowa is not the locksmith showing up with a cop kicking the tenants out or changing the locks. There is a very lengthy process that the landlord is supposed to follow and is as follows.
1)Notice to Cure or quit. If the rent is not on time the landlord must deliver this notice (three day notice form)to the tenant stating the rent is past due and the rental agreement will be terminated in three days if it is not paid.
2)Notice to terminate for any other reasons. Landlord should consult an attorney to check all applicable laws
3)Forcible Entry and Detainer. All notices to terminate must be followed with a Forcible Entry Notice obtained from the local Clerk of Court. This notice sets a court date for both parties to appear in court. The landlord will usually request an immediate eviction and must show copies of all previous notices in the court file to have them available to present to the court.
4) If the Clerk of Court receives a ruling of Forcible Entry and Detainer in the landlords favor the landlord has to request that the clerk issue a Writ of Possession to the Sherrif, it is not automaticly done.
The Sherrifs office delivers a copy of this Writ along with a posting order stating the date of the eviction to the address of the defendent (tenant). It is required that this be done sometime the day before the eviction but it is not required to serve this directly to the defendant as they will post it on the door if no one is available.
The day of the eviction the Sherrif will expect the landlord or his agent to check and see if the tenant has vacated voluntarily and to call the Sherrif to confirm or cancel the eviction. If the tenant vacates voluntarily it is up to the landlord to decide if they want the sherrif stand by while any remaining property is removed. If the eviction is cancelled it is up to the landlord to accept liability for any property left behind.

So some of the things the police probably have to look into as part of this whole mess is what was and wasn't done as it pertains to this legal eviction law ( such as the actual date that the tenants were told to be gone by etc.) and whether the tenants who were being evicted were on the premises legally or if they were there after the eviction date. The families should too. Evistions are public record so both sides shouls be able to request copies of the legal documents to see what was to happen when according to the courts.

Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen it's sad that the children have to grow up without their dad, regardless of whose side you choose.
looser in eldridge

Milton, FL

#84 Nov 10, 2009
no the questions havent been answered, i have read and have gone back and done research, what a turd!!!!!!!!!!
hey retard

Guttenberg, IA

#85 Nov 11, 2009
looser in eldridge wrote:
no the questions havent been answered, i have read and have gone back and done research, what a turd!!!!!!!!!!
grow up with your vocabulary!it's all about to come out then you'll see who's right n wrong.leppert is a murdering pig,like everyone else has been saying.you should get a life instead of preying on the dead.dirtball!!!
hey retard

Guttenberg, IA

#86 Nov 11, 2009
grand jury find this man guilty of homicide.....he is a killer.he is a liar and a instigator,what a loser,hope he gets f_cked in prison since he's a b_tch and has to pull a gun.what a big sloppy p-ssy
wow

Milton, FL

#87 Nov 12, 2009
GRAND JURRY FINDS HIN INNOCENT, AND REALIZES HE DID THE WORLD A FAVOR

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dubuque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Iowa woman found guilty of stealing from elderl... Apr '17 Randy 1
Dubuque Women's March (Jan '17) Mar '17 Mike Smith 3
Katrina Althaus? (Jan '17) Jan '17 Curious 1
News Dubuque's first mosque opens (Dec '16) Dec '16 Old Pom 11
Would anyone like to see me? (Sep '13) Dec '16 veiny 8
News Parents complain about book used in Dubuque sch... (Nov '16) Nov '16 BAH 1
Discreet fun wanted (Oct '16) Oct '16 Gorilla715 1

Dubuque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance