Time-zone letters may be forged

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Comments submitted to the federal agency considering whether to move six southwestern Indiana counties back to the Eastern Time Zone include two letters against the move listing hundreds of apparently forged ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 112 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2007
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Andy C

Suitland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

The fact that someone thinks time zones are important enough to forge letters is pretty funny.

However, as a sports fan, I'd much prefer to be on Central time. Baseball and basketball games are always getting over at 11pm or later. It would be nice to be able to see the ends of games and still get enough sleep that I can be productive at work the next day.
Jay

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Was ACORN involved in collecting sigs ?

Hahahaha
Jay

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Baseball games only last so long ( almost 3 hours) cause over the last 30 years they've added 45 minutes of commercials. Games used to average 2 hours 10 minutes. Less if Bob Gibson was pitching !
Andy C wrote:
The fact that someone thinks time zones are important enough to forge letters is pretty funny.
However, as a sports fan, I'd much prefer to be on Central time. Baseball and basketball games are always getting over at 11pm or later. It would be nice to be able to see the ends of games and still get enough sleep that I can be productive at work the next day.
Repeal DST

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

What we really need to do is repeal DST and go back to not having to change our clocks. That was what worked best. This was forced through over the objections of the majority of Indiana residents. No, we will not get over this. Ah well, at least Arizona and Hawaii are still sensible. Repeal DST!
Charlie

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Arizona residents don't want DST because of the afternoon heat. Hawaii doesn't need to conform to DST because it's in the middle of an ocean.

If we Hoosiers repeal DST, we'll go right back to utter confusion ... no one else in the country will know what time it is here. If we Hoosier only worked and lived with fellow Hoosiers, then sure, repealing DST would be fine. But that's not the world we live in. It's a global economy, and staying consistent with the rest of the country is essential.

Besides, do we REALLY need to open this DST can of worms again? Can't my fellow Hoosiers really just get over it and move on?
Bring out the fools

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Only in Hoo Hoo land could this happen.

Maybe we should blame the school system for this continuing discussion, since this appears to be motivated by the fact that Hoosiers are too stupid to learn how to change their clocks.

Or maybe it's something in the water here that floods the pea-shaped brain of those who delight in being out of step with the real world.

Get real, folks. Get a life.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Repeal DST wrote:
What we really need to do is repeal DST and go back to not having to change our clocks. That was what worked best. This was forced through over the objections of the majority of Indiana residents. No, we will not get over this. Ah well, at least Arizona and Hawaii are still sensible. Repeal DST!
I wished they would so everyone would shut up about it.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Charlie wrote:
Arizona residents don't want DST because of the afternoon heat. Hawaii doesn't need to conform to DST because it's in the middle of an ocean.
Charlie it doesn't matter what time it is in Arizona it still gonna be hotter then hell out there.
If we Hoosiers repeal DST, we'll go right back to utter confusion ... no one else in the country will know what time it is here. If we Hoosier only worked and lived with fellow Hoosiers, then sure, repealing DST would be fine. But that's not the world we live in. It's a global economy, and staying consistent with the rest of the country is essential.
I guess my thing is if you don't know what time it is where you are trying to do business then you have no business doing business anyways. Also NO ONE cares what time it is here ok. I have a friend in Missouri that didn't know that we were doing it and I told her last year that we were. Really that fact reamins that changing a clock twice a year is no biggie but sure as hell don't make any sense.
Besides, do we REALLY need to open this DST can of worms again? Can't my fellow Hoosiers really just get over it and move on?
We can only wish.
Mark

Reston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

I hate DST. The sun is still up at 9:30 at night during the longest days of the summer. We are not an East Coast state and should not be on their time.

But even setting aside that argument for a moment, how are we now "consistent"? I am always one hour ahead of my parents, who live in the same state. Is that not confusing to people oustside the state? If someone asks me what time it is in Indiana, I have to tell them, "Well, it depends."
I am Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

just becuase everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right. There is no logical reason for DST anymore.
Shucks

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Repeal DST wrote:
That twice a year task is just too difficult for a few bellyachers to comprehend, but they do have plenty of time to forge letters. There's always time to play the fool.
Eastern DST Rocks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

I hope you guys never get over it, because I really enjoy hearing about how bitter you losers are. Just because you're not smart enough to change your own clocks is no reason to drag the rest of us down.
Repeal DST wrote:
kpk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

..but, but, Mitch...the Cows!!1!

...hoo, hoo, will change my VCR clock?

So glad I got out of hickville.
Rocketman

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Dear Charlie, The repeal of DST will put us back in utter confusion? Folks in southern Indiana have utter confusion now with two times zones randomly dividing counties. Crane Naval Weapons Support Center, the largest employer in south-central Indiana is in Martin County and is in a different time zone than Indianapolis and Bloomington, let alone a different time zone than Washington DC and New York City! Schools in this area have difficulty coordinating football and basketball schedules because of the different time zones. Out of state business must really be confused by the patchwork time zones Hoosiers had rammed down their throats by the Republican party. Most truly global companie, like the military, operate on a 24-hour, GMT clock anyway, so "global" compnies shouldn't have to worry if Indiana goes back to its desired system. Repeal DST and give us back the old system of a few counties on the very borders of Indiana observing EDT or CDT a few months of the year. If you want to play an extra round of golf, drag your sorry butt out of bed earlier in the morning, but let the rest of the state observe Eastern Standard time year round. And yes, Hoosiers are smart enough to change all the clocks in their homes twice a year, they just don't see the need to do so on orders from Indianapolis and Carmel.
funny - but stupid

Lafayette, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Why don't we just stay on Daylight time year round and never have to worry about it again
Dennis_Daviess Co

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Charlie wrote:
No we can not get over it and move on. The biggest part of the state don't want it. And we don't think it needs to be stuffed down our throats. The best thing to do would be to put it on the ballot in November and let the people vote on it. Then this stupid governor we have will find out that we don't want it either. But no he hasn't got the back bone to do something like that. That would be against his right wing believes. Anybody with a brain can tell the people are not happy with it and won't be until we can get it changed back. Which that will just take getting this jerk voted out of office. I would say that the next governor will change it back anyway. Myself and a lot of other are going to be asking that question of the next one that runs for governor. And will only vote for the one that will do away it.
No Fan of Eastern DST

South Bend, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Mark wrote:
I hate DST. The sun is still up at 9:30 at night during the longest days of the summer. We are not an East Coast state and should not be on their time.
But even setting aside that argument for a moment, how are we now "consistent"? I am always one hour ahead of my parents, who live in the same state. Is that not confusing to people oustside the state? If someone asks me what time it is in Indiana, I have to tell them, "Well, it depends."
In the town of New Carlisle it depends upon which building you are located. In the school you are in Central in the library across the steet you are in Eastern. So what time is it in Indiana?
Not by birth

Vincennes, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Ah! Vincennes, where our, at the time, state rep was the deciding vote to further screw up our state. While I understand the initial reasoning for DST, today's society operates 24/7 no matter what time the clocks say. I'd vote to get rid of it all together for the whole world & galaxy! At this point I couldn't care less which time zone the state was on AS LONG AS the entire state was in the {gasp, amazing concept) same time zone. No matter which zone we'd select one side of the state would be unhappy. I'm just embarrased that apparently Indiana is too stoopid to embrace the idea of "One State, One Time Zone". I'm scouting out-of-state locations to move to - then folks will be crying about the 'brain drain' in Indiana - well, face it, if we can't figure out what the *#&^% time it is, then we don't have much brain to work with!!!
Charlie

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Hey, if the whole country were to ditch DST, that's great, I say we ditch DST. But as long as this country has it, Indiana needs to be in line with the rest of the lower 48 on this.

I'm not a conformist, but let your common sense guide you on what it does from a perception and business development standpoint when we're out of step, on time keeping, with the other 290 million or so people in the lower 48 states!
Just a Thought

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Since it apparently is very confusing that Indiana has two time zones I'm just wondering how TN, KY, FL, ND, SD, NE, KS, AZ, OR, and ID have been able to have two time zones for ever. How is it hard for Indiana to have two time zones when before DST in the summer there was 4 Time Zone's in the state? Just a thought, and BTW part of AZ (the Indian tribal lands) do observe DST whereas the rest of the state does not so I'm still not seeing how this is "confusing" for Indiana?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Dubois Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dubois Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••