Fire department asking for levy support

Full story: ThisWeek Community Newspapers

Residents who haven't cast their vote early will be asked on Nov. 2 to support the Washington Township Fire Department with a levy that will cost an additional $66 per $100,000 property value annually.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Vote No

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

The levy is almost a 14% tax increase. Per the districts own numbers, the majority of the levy dollars are going for salaries and benefits.

The benefits are too generous especially for health care.

Did you know that for a family (no limit) a Township employee only pays $30 per pay for health insurance?

As a private sector employee I pay over 8 times that amount per pay. That alone shows me that the Township is not serious about cost reductions or managing out tax dollars efficiently. There must be a more equitable distribution of costs between employees and taxpayers.

Vote No and make the Township focus on cost reductions not furthering overly generous salaries and benefits.
Accountability

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Good God,is there anyone out there not asking for more of the money WE DO NOT HAVE?
I agree with most

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

Vote No wrote:
The levy is almost a 14% tax increase. Per the districts own numbers, the majority of the levy dollars are going for salaries and benefits.
The benefits are too generous especially for health care.
Did you know that for a family (no limit) a Township employee only pays $30 per pay for health insurance?
As a private sector employee I pay over 8 times that amount per pay. That alone shows me that the Township is not serious about cost reductions or managing out tax dollars efficiently. There must be a more equitable distribution of costs between employees and taxpayers.
Vote No and make the Township focus on cost reductions not furthering overly generous salaries and benefits.
I agree with most of what you said. You do realize that the majority of levy dollars would naturally go to salaries and benefits since they provide a service, not a product?

What I do not understand is why voters hold some groups to high standards on certain levies, then willy-nilly pass other levies every time when it defies all logic? For example, why do I send levy dollars to a Delaware County Zoo (called Columbus Zoo) when I live in Franklin county? Why do I send Franklin County mr/dd monies when the Ohio Constitution says it is the State's responsibilty (Article 7, look it up)? Of course, the Federal and State Constitutions seem to be just talking points these days as it is hardly ever followed unless convenient to do so.

Your points are logical, however, I live in the theatre of the absurd.
George

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

This is the REAL problem with Ohio. It's the fifedoms wanting more money because they refuse to run efficiently and have duplicated services. If Kasich wins, and he sucks the money away from of the stat supported functions, be prepared to endue levy after levy after levy coming up on the ballot. Many of these fifedoms need to be abolished and consolidated. Those benefits packages would be cheaper if they had economies of scale as it stands at the moment, I don;t believe that they do.
Bravo

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

George wrote:
This is the REAL problem with Ohio. It's the fifedoms wanting more money because they refuse to run efficiently and have duplicated services. If Kasich wins, and he sucks the money away from of the stat supported functions, be prepared to endue levy after levy after levy coming up on the ballot. Many of these fifedoms need to be abolished and consolidated. Those benefits packages would be cheaper if they had economies of scale as it stands at the moment, I don;t believe that they do.
Bravo George! I wish more people understood economies of scale and voted accordingly.

70% of my real estate taxes go to SWCS schools (60%) and Franklin County mr/dd (10%). Both systems have run up costs by going smaller, not larger. With schools, it is smaller classrooms. With mr/dd, it is home settings vs larger institutions. Both entities have run up costs by going smaller while also expanding services. This contradicts sound fiscal policies.

Schools and mr/dd are worthy services. Being practical and not going broke is also a worthy service to the taxpayer. Moreover, we cannot have two entities sucking all of levy air out of the economy when there are other worthy organizations that also need support.

It is not what you want as a society, it is what you can afford. We cannot have cadilliac classroom size and mr/dd care until society can afford it. Since we are borrowing our Federal Medicaid dollars from China to support these mr/dd services on a local basis (the levy leverages the Medicaid dollars), I say we have not reached a point where society can afford this situation, it is a ponzi scheme using borrowed money!
Vote No

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

To: I agree with most.

My point regarding the majority of the levy dollars going to salaries and benefits is that the Township is building into our taxes an almost 14% increase in employee costs.

As noted in the news articles, a minority of the levy dollars are going for replacing equipment.

To keep the tax increase down, the levy request should be to cover the costs of needed equipment not a 14% increase in salaries and benefits.

Also, as noted in the news articles, the Township has stated that employee headcount has remained the same over the years. If that is the case and the majority of levy dollars are used for employee salaries and benefits it seems to me that some or all employees are receiving significant raises and generous benefits with the tax increase.

It is my point that in very difficult times, government should not push a significant tax increase so that Township employees get large raises and very generous benefits built into the budget. Cost containment must be given more of a priority. There must be a more equitable sharing of costs between the public and private sector.

If there are equipment and safety needs address those with a levy not and not pad the budget with more salaries and benefits.
I agree with most

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Vote No wrote:
To: I agree with most.
My point regarding the majority of the levy dollars going to salaries and benefits is that the Township is building into our taxes an almost 14% increase in employee costs.
As noted in the news articles, a minority of the levy dollars are going for replacing equipment.
To keep the tax increase down, the levy request should be to cover the costs of needed equipment not a 14% increase in salaries and benefits.
Also, as noted in the news articles, the Township has stated that employee headcount has remained the same over the years. If that is the case and the majority of levy dollars are used for employee salaries and benefits it seems to me that some or all employees are receiving significant raises and generous benefits with the tax increase.
It is my point that in very difficult times, government should not push a significant tax increase so that Township employees get large raises and very generous benefits built into the budget. Cost containment must be given more of a priority. There must be a more equitable sharing of costs between the public and private sector.
If there are equipment and safety needs address those with a levy not and not pad the budget with more salaries and benefits.
Thank you for the additional input. You appear well versed on the matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Dublin Forum right now

Search the Dublin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) 6 hr mjjcpa 170
Delaware Auditor George Kaitsa Endorses Ken O'B... 16 hr Powell Voter 2
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Fri ha ha 25,331
Lisa Knapp and dogs Apr 17 The warden 1
Wendy's Mobile Payment System Coming Soon, Forg... Apr 16 Tim 1
Hilliard Gym Stabbing Motivates Members To Figh... Apr 16 Oliver Canterberry 27
OH Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in O... (Oct '10) Apr 15 squid 118
•••
•••
•••
•••

Dublin Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dublin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance